Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People are actually liking WOW Classic.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hariken said:
    Are they planning to charge another 15 a month for this?
    Not that I'm aware of, I believe your sub buys you access to both. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:
    Hariken said:
    danwest58 said:
    Dinasty said:
    The nostalgia will wear off in time and the only ones left won't amount to enough profit.
    Says the dying population of the Retail WOW players who know jackshit about real MMORPGS.  
    Yeah, I don't know how this will go a few months after launch though. I hope your right.  Is the lvl cap at 60 if so people will hit that quickly.

People keep looking at Classic as its built as a Modern Day MMORPG.   Its NOT today's MMORPGS are a fucking waste of time and you are max level in less than 2 days because they are designed like that.   Old MMORPGS were designed for you to take a long ass time to max level because thats how they were designed.  Trying to Compare the two is pointless.

You know, when WOW was released I considered it a refreshing, easy mode game, and certainly not "old school" by any measure back in the day.

Of course this after coming off of Lineage 2 which made six months in the County jail look like easy mode in comparison.

;)

This was exactl my experience as well. I liked the quests framing the "grind" which was refreshing as I also came from Lineage 2.

I felt it was wayyyyyyyyyyy easier than lineage 2.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It will be a hit, but at some point they better have an expansion ready.... Probably in the making now.
    Maybe they will call it Burning Crusade. Total guess on my part!
    KyleranGorwedeniter[Deleted User]wandericalaseritachesoma
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There is a fairly huge demand for the Classic version of WoW, but i have to wonder, if the number of players in Classic outnumbers that in Retail will that mean a shift in priorities when it comes to supporting the Retail version, with the Retail version likely being below 2 million at this point, its easy to imagine that Classic could easily double this, i guess the only way we will know is how well the servers cope when it officially launches, should be interesting  ;)
    GdemamiAxxar
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited May 2019
    For most people WoW was their first time playing an mmorpg, info on classes, abilities, quests, dungeons, items and all other things were sparse. That's not the case 15 years later. The mystery is gone and in that sense its going to be like all other mmorpg released after WoW.

The saving grace is that vanilla wow was a good mmorpg back in the days and its still a decent one with quite a lot of content in 2019.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Really wanted to play, but I simply don't have the available time. I'm hoping it stays popular so I can revisit it, should my schedule allow it down the road. Sad though, cause the initial release is always the hyped part.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Netspook said:
    It will probably be a success early on, but not in the long run. I mean, who the hell wants to spend years on a game that doesn't get a single content update?
    This is the only problem I see.  I will play but part of what makes me continue after a longer period of time is because the game world will continue.  When I thought LOTRO wouldn't see another expansion I just couldn't bring myself to invest more time.  I don't "need" more because I will likely play for a long time and never hit max level (many alts) but knowing that there is no "future" is a problem I think.

I guess time will tell.  I bet with one server though they will have enough people to keep it going.  If it is part of the regular sub then people will hop off and on I assume.  

Maybe they are hoping that it will actually bring old players back into the current retail game. . they come for classic and try the current version.  Two ways to win for them possibly.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

edited May 2019
    danwest58 said:
    Hariken said:
    danwest58 said:
    Dinasty said:
    The nostalgia will wear off in time and the only ones left won't amount to enough profit.
    Says the dying population of the Retail WOW players who know jackshit about real MMORPGS.  
    Yeah, I don't know how this will go a few months after launch though. I hope your right.  Is the lvl cap at 60 if so people will hit that quickly.
    People keep saying that most people will hit 60 fast.  Yet they dont get that leveling in classic takes a lot longer than today's MMORPGS.  People cannot even use Private servers to show how fast people will level in classic because 1 to 10 for StaySafe took him 30% longer.   Add to the fact that as you got up there in levels it also takes you longer than it does 1 to 10.   I find it funny as someone who played during classes to think players will be 60 in 2 or 3 weeks and MC raids will be cleared in a month.  

Most people during Vanilla took around 3 to 5 months to level.  I expect it to take the same amount of time overall because these will be fresh servers and players will not be able to buy gear upgrades as if the game has been out for a year.

People keep looking at Classic as its built as a Modern Day MMORPG.   Its NOT today's MMORPGS are a fucking waste of time and you are max level in less than 2 days because they are designed like that.   Old MMORPGS were designed for you to take a long ass time to max level because thats how they were designed.  Trying to Compare the two is pointless.

This is what I don't get either.. or a game launches with 25 levels and people freak out. . what if that takes the same as 100 levels on another game?  Levels aren't everything, parallel progression etc. is just as important to me.  I wonder if it would take longer to hit 60 in classic as it would to hit max in the current retail version.  My bet is on classic taking longer.

EDIT:  from a quick search it seems like it is pretty close to the same.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Video games are not the only industry where people want what they used to have before someone "improved" on it. Classic Coke, for example. 
    Aethaeryn[Deleted User]laserit

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Aethaeryn said:
    Netspook said:
    It will probably be a success early on, but not in the long run. I mean, who the hell wants to spend years on a game that doesn't get a single content update?
    This is the only problem I see.  I will play but part of what makes me continue after a longer period of time is because the game world will continue.  When I thought LOTRO wouldn't see another expansion I just couldn't bring myself to invest more time.  I don't "need" more because I will likely play for a long time and never hit max level (many alts) but knowing that there is no "future" is a problem I think.

I guess time will tell.  I bet with one server though they will have enough people to keep it going.  If it is part of the regular sub then people will hop off and on I assume.  

Maybe they are hoping that it will actually bring old players back into the current retail game. . they come for classic and try the current version.  Two ways to win for them possibly.
    It will take a couple of years just to beat the original vanilla content.
    If one thinks he'll be able to just jump in and just
    clear Naxx, he's in for a very nasty surprise and a hefty repair bill.
    I never got there but I recall hating to spend on repairs while saving for my mount.  I think I walked a lot longer than I might have needed to.  Man getting a mount was awesome.  . . it's all coming back. . warlock and paladin?  They get a summoned mount?  That might actually matter again :) 

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Classic seems a lot like it was back then I can die very easy if not watchful. 
    [Deleted User]
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    TEKK3N said:
    From what I gathered in the last few days, it seems like the Classic hype is stronger than ever.
    <snip>
    Personally I can't wait for World PvP......Stranglethorn, I am coming!!!!!

I totally get why people are hyped for vanilla PvP again, but that is very much a been-there-done-that for me.  I am most excited about returning to a time when the devs built a world not a game.  For example, there were tons of empty buildings in Ironforge just ripe for a little RP.  There used to be long quest chains (like the Stalvan questline in Darkshire) that took you all over and if you could be bothered to read the quest text, were FAR better than some of the stuff you have today. 

Anyone ever have guild meetings back in the day?  How about currently?  Back then, we'd go to the building that is currently the northern bank in Stormwind.  It was an empty meeting hall with 2 desks at the front and everything.  It made a perfect place to actually gather in-game.  These days, guilds only actually get together to raid.  There's nothing wrong with that, exactly, but I think it serves to highlight just how far away from its roots WoW has come.

Sorry for zeroing in on your last sentence there, but I agree with the rest.  I think some of these streamers are getting a taste of the difference in design philosophy (yes, even at level 15 in Westfall, the difference is obvious), and they're simply having fun in WoW again.  You'd have to be a fool to honestly think that Classic won't be successful.  "How long?" is a valid question, but yes, Classic WoW is fun.  It was fun then, and it'll be fun now, hopefully for different reasons this time.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    Dinasty said:
    That's only if they are playing for nostalgia's sake and not because you like the early incarnation of the game.

as far as profit? Sure, who knows what it will take to keep the server open. 
    Per direct quote from Blizzard, it'll take roughly "dozens."

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    i think its all hype.....sorta

Osrs killed rs3 population. Classic may just kill retails population, doubtful because like many, they can't let go of their avatars and the idea of starting over can be kinda daunting for some! 

Will it bring money to blizzard? Yes
    Will it hurt retails population? Maybe
    Will it last? Probably not for some.

I think a lot of people are buying into the hype. But i would say 75% probably never played vanilla, once they realize they can't fly, Pay an ubsurd amount for a mount, and try to get 40 people  on for a raid they soon will realize exactly what they're getting into.

And they won't like it. (well most)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    people making money streaming classic are hyped. you dont say?
  • SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    If hype/beta decided how good a game was Archeage would be the most popular game ever :D
    edited May 2019
    Aethaeryn said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    Netspook said:

It will take a couple of years just to beat the original vanilla content.
    If one thinks he'll be able to just jump in and just
    clear Naxx, he's in for a very nasty surprise and a hefty repair bill.
    I never got there but I recall hating to spend on repairs while saving for my mount.  I think I walked a lot longer than I might have needed to.  Man getting a mount was awesome.  . . it's all coming back. . warlock and paladin?  They get a summoned mount?  That might actually matter again :) 

As my son and I foolishly chose engineering (gnome and goblin) we were always cash poor so could not buy our first mounts until level 44.....

As for the level 60 mounts, well let's just say I continued my foolishness by doing something I shouldn't have looking back in retrospective.

Hmm,  I wonder if classic servers will spawn a resurgence of illicit activity as the original did, was part of the early experience after all.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Captive audience yields expected results.

Here you have a closed beta of what, 2000 people initially... most of whom are, guess what... WoW streamers.

Everyone else who is in beta or trying to are also die hard WoW fans to the nth degree.  Remember you have to have an active sub just to get an invite.  They're stacking the deck in their favor.

Again, expected results.

The true picture will not be seen until 3 months after launch day.  Honeymoon will be over and true opinions will rise to the surface like they always do.

Consider for a moment that BfA was supposed to be the best thing since sex for a lot of folks... it turned out to be the marriage from hell once people really noticed the game mechanics for the first time.

Classic WoW has a long wait before it can be reviewed objectively... 

The more hyped you let yourself become, the bigger let down you will face.

Remember, players ventured into Azeroth almost 15 years ago with zero expectations... today they all have expectations... be it for good or bad.

The same streamers who said WoW was shit and now proclaim it to be the holy grail will say it is shit again once they have gotten past the honeymoon period and everyone else on the planet is allowed to play it.

Archeage turned to crap once the masses were released upon it.  The people who are touting how glorious the game is are in effect, playing in a fishbowl.
    Kyleran
    btdt said:
    Captive audience yields expected results.

Here you have a closed beta of what, 2000 people initially... most of whom are, guess what... WoW streamers.

Everyone else who is in beta or trying to are also die hard WoW fans to the nth degree.  Remember you have to have an active sub just to get an invite.  They're stacking the deck in their favor.

Again, expected results.

The true picture will not be seen until 3 months after launch day.  Honeymoon will be over and true opinions will rise to the surface like they always do.

Consider for a moment that BfA was supposed to be the best thing since sex for a lot of folks... it turned out to be the marriage from hell once people really noticed the game mechanics for the first time.

Classic WoW has a long wait before it can be reviewed objectively... 

The more hyped you let yourself become, the bigger let down you will face.

Remember, players ventured into Azeroth almost 15 years ago with zero expectations... today they all have expectations... be it for good or bad.

The same streamers who said WoW was shit and now proclaim it to be the holy grail will say it is shit again once they have gotten past the honeymoon period and everyone else on the planet is allowed to play it.

Archeage turned to crap once the masses were released upon it.  The people who are touting how glorious the game is are in effect, playing in a fishbowl.
    ArcheAge's issues had zero to do with hyped expectations, though.  The biggest detriment I've seen people cite was the monetization.  That wasn't hyped before launch.
    GdemamiPhry

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    TEKK3N said:
    From what I gathered in the last few days, it seems like the Classic hype is stronger than ever.
    I've seen streamers who were absolutely adamant that Classic was just a Nostalgia thing and would not work in the long run, make a 180 degree turn, admitting they were wrong.

While others avid WoW players who recently quit BFA, like Sodapoppin and Asmongold were absolutely excited about Classic.

I also had a look at WoW official forums and people are raving about Beta, even the retail fanboys seems more open on giving Classic a fair go, whilst just few months ago there was a good amount of vitriol all over the forums against Classic and its fans.
    I can feel a strong positive vibe.

I am pretty confident Classic would be a success, there isn't a Social MMORPG around these days, and there are many people who crave the return of more relaxed days when you'd level at your own pace.
    I am also sure many kids will love this 'new thing' where getting stuff actually means something and feels like an achievement, something they probably never experienced in their young online gaming career.

It'll be going strong for the first few weeks. Honeymoon as they call it. It's interesting to see how it'll fare in its second or third month. I expect some 50k or thereabouts. Which is fantastic, but...it's WoW we're talking about, it should be much more.
    We'll see who is right about this honeymoon bullshit, but I know people who have been playing on alt servers for years and who were waiting for this for ages.
    Stop making assumptions, stick to facts... and maybe try the thing yourself ?
    Where do you think I pulled those 50k from? Honestly, I don't expect it to hold over 100k for any extended period of time.

Both being actually quite low for WoW.
        There preparing for over 1 million (multiple servers ) at Classic launch , the sustainable players should be over 500k the first year ..
    edited May 2019
    Amathe said:
    Video games are not the only industry where people want what they used to have before someone "improved" on it. Classic Coke, for example. 
    Take vinyl albums, for example:

"Vinyl album sales continue to be a bright spot among an otherwise bleak album sales picture. 16.8 million vinyl albums were sold in 2018, according to Nielsen Music (up 14.6 percent) — marking the 13th consecutive year of growth for the format. 16.8 million is also a new yearly high for vinyl album sales since Nielsen Music began tracking sales in 1991."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8493256/vinyl-album-sales-growth-2018-beatles-david-bowie-pink-floyd

A medium long-thought dead by pop culture has been growing consistently over the past decade, defying the industry trends.

Classic items, many times, have an original authenticity or purity of purpose that newer items don't.  A 1964 Ford Mustang can't serve as your personal navigator via a touchscreen, but many would rather have one of those than a brand new Mustang, because of the very pure and well-executed design goal: American muscle.

Gdemami

edited May 2019
    Gorwe said:
    Scorchien said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    TEKK3N said:
    I've seen streamers who were absolutely adamant that Classic was just a Nostalgia thing and would not work in the long run, make a 180 degree turn, admitting they were wrong.

While others avid WoW players who recently quit BFA, like Sodapoppin and Asmongold were absolutely excited about Classic.

I also had a look at WoW official forums and people are raving about Beta, even the retail fanboys seems more open on giving Classic a fair go, whilst just few months ago there was a good amount of vitriol all over the forums against Classic and its fans.
    I can feel a strong positive vibe.

I am pretty confident Classic would be a success, there isn't a Social MMORPG around these days, and there are many people who crave the return of more relaxed days when you'd level at your own pace.
    I am also sure many kids will love this 'new thing' where getting stuff actually means something and feels like an achievement, something they probably never experienced in their young online gaming career.

It'll be going strong for the first few weeks. Honeymoon as they call it. It's interesting to see how it'll fare in its second or third month. I expect some 50k or thereabouts. Which is fantastic, but...it's WoW we're talking about, it should be much more.
    We'll see who is right about this honeymoon bullshit, but I know people who have been playing on alt servers for years and who were waiting for this for ages.
    Stop making assumptions, stick to facts... and maybe try the thing yourself ?
    Where do you think I pulled those 50k from? Honestly, I don't expect it to hold over 100k for any extended period of time.

Both being actually quite low for WoW.
        There preparing for over 1 million (multiple servers ) at Classic launch , the sustainable players should be over 500k the first year ..
    So large? But why'd people regress back in time? The grass won't be greener, they already experienced that...

...otoh...foolish mayflies.
    See my post above- Why drive a 1964 Mustang when brand new ones have a touchscreen nav?  Are those who prefer the classics "foolish mayflies"?
    Gyva02

Arterius said:
    Never played classic WoW until the beta and I love it. Every aspect of it. Its fantastic
    You are in for a treat then, enjoy.
    lahnmir[Deleted User]Phry

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    It's odd that on an aging MMORPG forum where people clamor for old style games that require grouping etc that there is so much negativity towards this. 

Perhaps some people just enjoy the older versions of WoW and want to play it? Why do some people insist there's some psychological reason or negative aspect to this? 

Stop being so bitter about life.
    Axxar