Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inside Star Citizen: 890 Reasons | 3.5 Ep. 4 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• M0nk3ytal3M0nk3ytal3 Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    Capital ships in EVE are 10x that price in terms of real world money, expensive ship sales are for supporters just like in any other game. Id assume if you think this is expensive you cant afford a computer to play the game anyway.
    mmolouXarktardWhiteLantern
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    @monkeytale: the ships are not in cash shop and you can fly them :)
    now!
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I know different people have different definitions of what they consider as pay to win but for me 890 dollars for a ship in an mmo with pvp in it is not only pay to win but it takes pay to win to an outrageous new level . I am sure you can get a ship such as this in game but I imagine it would take months of grinding to do so .

I love the concept of this game which is why I went for one of the starter packages but the selling of ships such as this does seem to undermine what was promised in the first place . Also when I see the attitude of some backers in forums where they continuously "jump down the throats" of anyone posting a comment they don't like really does not do the community or the image of the game itself any favors .

It has widely been reported their are significant questions surrounding its development and even Chris Roberts personal expenditure especially surround the purchase of 4.7 million house . Anyone who puts in anything more than a basic ground level entry package at this point 7 years into development really is extremely unwise (putting it as mildly and nicely as possible) with their money because even now its still nowhere near completion and it is now a fact that the game will not be completed with the money from crowdfunding alone which raises its own issues .

Which means CIG will either be taken over when they go into receivership by a larger gaming company or will have to look for further funding similar to the 46 million ( 10 percent of CIG ) they sold to private investors . Either way this will lead to a loss of control over how Starcitizen as a game is run on release which will probably be to the detriment of the players .

It's all a bit of a mess and I now have serious doubts about Chris Roberts leadership .
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    How much for just a jetpak and space suit? Maybe just a helmet? Plastic bag and duct tape? Boots with wheels?

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Funny.

Last time i checked no one is holding a gun to peoples' head and forces them to buy anything more than the 45 $ starter package. Or even pay nothing and fly for free during the free fly weekends.  Or wait and see until such time as the final game is being released. And THEN decide wether you like it or not.

Meanwhile we voluntary crowdfunding supporters help to finance and test this game.  And have fun while we try to break the game and report all the bugs.

The others are free to play and enjoy their "World of Assassins Duty" 26 until then. We SC fans support something a bit different instead.

Have fun
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited May 2019
    Erillion said:
    Funny.

Last time i checked no one is holding a gun to peoples' head and forces them to buy anything more than the 45 $ starter package. Or even pay nothing and fly for free during the free fly weekends.  Or wait and see until such time as the final game is being released. And THEN decide wether you like it or not.

Meanwhile we voluntary crowdfunding supporters help to finance and test this game.  And have fun while we try to break the game and report all the bugs.

The others are free to play and enjoy their "World of Assassins Duty" 26 until then. We SC fans support something a bit different instead.

Have fun
    Is that the new barometer then? So long as "nobody is holding a gun to your head" then everything is Kosher?

The same could be said about Enron or a plethora of other scams and poorly managed projects- Ran by shady individuals, incompetence  or outright deception...I guess as long as a physical gun isnt held to someones head, huh?

Star Citizen started as "The Best Damn Space Sim ever- To launch in 2014" and half a decade later we've already moved to "well nobody is putting a gun to anyones head..."

Glad to see that Viral Advertising budget is still there, huh bunny?
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    So what the heck does Enron have to do with game development ?!? Their crime certainly wasnt a kickstarter scam.

Also I dont know about Enron specifically but in general energy companies DO hold guns to peoples heads, and then pull the trigger as well, quite literally, when you study whats happening in third world countries, especially to people who oppose if their environment gets polluted and oppose that their lands riches are stolen without the natives even getting what was promised to them as compensation.

And yes, if you kickstart a project you are phrone to be a victim of a scam. Thats because unlike regular investors, kickstarters have very reduced rights. You dont get any share of the profits, you dont get any say in what the company does, at best you get a product and even that might be garbage, like for example the recent Yashica scam.

And people who waste money on items in computer games .. I'm very convinced not a single such person has ever earned that money with their own hard work before. Otherwise they wouldnt spent it like that. That really shows you dont know the value of money.

edited May 2019
    >>>
    That really shows you dont know the value of money.
    >>>

Or someone has other priorities than you. It is always amazing how people get upset about the way other people spend money. ;-)

>>>
    Otherwise they wouldnt spent it like that.
    >>>

Assumption bias much ?!

You most likely have not even the slightest idea how other people here earn their money.
    You can be convinced of something - perfectly true. That "something" is the picture you have in your head - based on no known facts whatsoever .... unless you did a survey about what jobs MMORPG posters have. Which you did not.

Have fun

>>>>
    >>>>

How should I know? ;-)  Never got any of that.

Feel free to make them throw money at me. I will take it.

Have fun

Erillion said:
    >>>>
    >>>>

How should I know? ;-)  Never got any of that.

Feel free to make them throw money at me. I will take it.

Have fun

Oh I have no doubt that your loyalties are for sale my friend.

I dont think I need to make them 'throw money at you'- I'm sure thats happening without my input at all.

The only one of the 3 resident PR mouthpieces for SC who I believe is legit is the Pig and I havnt seen the Pig in a while (and TBH he seems like a genuinely decent pig)- Of course I could be mistaken- But I doubt it.
    >>> How much is enough? >>>

Simple question, simple answer: When its done.

Whatever that is in time and money. I cannot say when that is exactly. How much that is exactly. I doubt Chris Roberts can. I think Erin Roberts knows :-)  

Like you i miss SWG ... and Star Citizen is my "SWG of the new age". I have many other games to play in addition to SC Alpha. If it takes more months ... i will wait. Will test. Will write player tester bug reports. Until it is finished. I already know i like it. For me personally it just gets better and better.

Have fun
    edited May 2019
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    That really shows you dont know the value of money.
    >>>

Or someone has other priorities than you. It is always amazing how people get upset about the way other people spend money. ;-)

>>>
    Otherwise they wouldnt spent it like that.
    >>>

Assumption bias much ?!

You most likely have not even the slightest idea how other people here earn their money.
    You can be convinced of something - perfectly true. That "something" is the picture you have in your head - based on no known facts whatsoever .... unless you did a survey about what jobs MMORPG posters have. Which you did not.

Have fun

Erillion, I really do respect your opinion, but I gotta ask... why keep this up?  $300 million dollars later and still no Squadron 42 and still no P.U.  We are at least 18 months away from Squadron 42 and at least 24 months away from P.U. and that was from their own update a few months ago.  I gotta tell you, it doesn't look good when updates are more about selling $890 ships instead of showing actually progess.  Trust me, I want this game to be great because I miss SWG and there is nothing close in the pipe line next to this.  However, I have to ask.  How much is enough?  $500 million, $1 Billion?  How much is it going to take to get the game we were promised with the kick starter?  Personally, I just wish we could get a straight answer from Chris of just how much more he needs to deliver the game as advertised.
    We're al;ready at 1 Billion based on Chris Roberts own projections.

Remember , he has said many times that each dollar crowdfunded is worth $5.00 to him (because of greedy publishers) so  whatever the actual cash on hand it will be worth 5 times that amount vs traditional development.

So we are a Billion right now as far as what we should see workwise- According to CR.

edit- "In the old model as a developer I would have captured 20 cents on the dollar," Roberts said. "Ultimately that means I can make the same game for a fifth of the revenue, a fifth of the sales, and I can be more profitable"

"Unlike with a publisher, you can't pull the wool over their eyes because it's the real people who are going to be playing it," Roberts noted. "If you're a publisher you can visit me and I can show you the milestone, but you have no idea if behind the scenes I've got it jury-rigged or whatever. Whereas with the real community, there's no way."

-Reminds me of sandworms or something....

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-22-chris-roberts-how-incredible-community-transforms-development

edit- Fixed link and forgot to mention this article is 6 years old now...LOL.