Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People are actually liking WOW Classic.

TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
edited May 2019 in World of Warcraft
From what I gathered in the last few days, it seems like the Classic hype is stronger than ever.
I've seen streamers who were absolutely adamant that Classic was just a Nostalgia thing and would not work in the long run, make a 180 degree turn, admitting they were wrong.

While others avid WoW players who recently quit BFA, like Sodapoppin and Asmongold were absolutely excited about Classic.

I also had a look at WoW official forums and people are raving about Beta, even the retail fanboys seems more open on giving Classic a fair go, whilst just few months ago there was a good amount of vitriol all over the forums against Classic and its fans.
I can feel a strong positive vibe.

I am pretty confident Classic would be a success, there isn't a Social MMORPG around these days, and there are many people who crave the return of more relaxed days when you'd level at your own pace.
I am also sure many kids will love this 'new thing' where getting stuff actually means something and feels like an achievement, something they probably never experienced in their young online gaming career.

Personally I can't wait for World PvP......Stranglethorn, I am coming!!!!!

GdemamideniterDarkpigeonmbrodieGyva02

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Hype is always strong before launch, you can't base hype on success. That's just a plain fact.
    TillerNetspookOctagon7711MikehaMrMelGibson
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    world pvp is nice in classic, but STV pvp is more like the /ragequit type of pvp...
    Eronakis
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Take streamers with a grain of salt as the hype is a revenue stream for them.  Once their views went up they had a change of heart so wonder why.

No doubt the success will be there early as I am not sure anyone would debate that.  It was the biggest game in the world and cultural phenom for years.  To argue it would fail out of the gate would be silly.  I think the bigger conversation is long term for a game with a finite amount of content and will essentially be in a perpetual maintenance mode.

This time next year will be the real story on if the experiment is successful.  I cannot see them being like DB with EQ and EQ2 releasing a new server every year just so people can start over again.
    They specifically said in the interview that if this server is successful they are going to look into releasing specific expansion based servers or progression servers. 
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Hashbrick said:
    Hype is always strong before launch, you can't base hype on success. That's just a plain fact.
    True.
    I've been around since EQ so I know how hype works.
    But this time, I feel there is an high amount of positivity around Classic which I've rarely seen anywhere else, at least recently.

Even Classic developers (not the managers) seems genuinely excited about the game.
    You can watch some interviews, they look like kids in a candy store.
    It looks like the message is: "fuck, finally we get to work on something we really like/care".

Galadourn said:
    world pvp is nice in classic, but STV pvp is more like the /ragequit type of pvp...
    I know, right?
    That's the biggest leveling bottleneck in the entire game.
    But once you get out of that zone you are ready for anything.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited May 2019
    That's just it, its not really like Vanilla WoW.  Graphically it looks like Vanilla but that's where it ends. Lots and lots of things under the hood are extremely different....Mobs are not as hard as they used to be, I see zero players having to rest like you used to have to,  players pulling multiple mobs solo when if you got an add back in the day you were basically dead, stat scaling for classes is different resulting in much higher dmg from players, I see very little to no CC being used, exp rates are not the same, I mean the list goes on and on and on.  They basically made everything much quicker than it used to be....

Sorry but this isn't Vanilla WoW.  Might look like it but it definitely is not. 
    PalebaneOctagon7711Riqqy82Gyva02
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    That's just it, its not really like Vanilla WoW.  Graphically it looks like Vanilla but that's where it ends.  Mobs are not as hard as they used to be, I see zero players having to rest like you used to have to,  players pulling multiple mobs solo when if you got an add back in the day you were basically dead, stat scaling for classes is different resulting in much higher dmg from players, I see very little to no CC being used, exp rates are not the same, I mean the list goes on and on and on.  They basically made everything much quicker than it used to be....

What? Literally everything is identical to vanilla. They are recreating bugs that were in vanilla so that it's a 1:1 mirror. I don't know what you watched. 
    Gyva02Axxar
    edited May 2019
    That's just it, its not really like Vanilla WoW.  Graphically it looks like Vanilla but that's where it ends.  Mobs are not as hard as they used to be, I see zero players having to rest like you used to have to,  players pulling multiple mobs solo when if you got an add back in the day you were basically dead, stat scaling for classes is different resulting in much higher dmg from players, I see very little to no CC being used, exp rates are not the same, I mean the list goes on and on and on.  They basically made everything much quicker than it used to be....

What? Literally everything is identical to vanilla. They are recreating bugs that were in vanilla so that it's a 1:1 mirror. I don't know what you watched. 
    I disgaree 100%.  It's not even close to being identical.  

Like I said in my original post, it's not even close.  Really the only thing that is identical are the graphics.  Everything else not so much. 
    Riqqy82Gyva02

I think his assumption is based on Private Servers experience.

On private servers, mobs are set to hit harder than Vanilla, because the player base asks for harder experience.
    Personally I'd prefer the Pserver difficulty, but that wouldn't be Vanilla.

Vanilla difficulty stands in between Retail and Pservers, closer to Pservers but not so extreme.
    edited May 2019
    TEKK3N said:

On private servers, mobs are set to hit harder than Vanilla, because the player base asks for harder experience.

Vanilla difficulty stands in between Retail and Pservers, closer to Pservers but not so extreme.
    Nope, I haven't touched private servers nor would I.  I wouldnt want to invest time on something only for it to be shut down.  My experience is  based off playing actual Vanilla from the getgo until its current state.

Many others would agree, so obviously something is off or different.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing but its definitely 100% different than Vanilla.
    Riqqy82
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    TEKK3N said:

Nope, I haven't touched private servers nor would I.  I wouldnt want to invest time on something only for it to be shut down.  My experience is  based off playing actual Vanilla from the getgo until its current state.

Many others would agree, so obviously something is off or different.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing but its definitely 100% different than Vanilla.

Clearly, many other disagree as well.  Who should I believe?!
    KyleranAxxar
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    But that is impossible......I mean the nostalgia factor and all so many people smarter than us on these forums bring up all the time.....it just can't be. It is impossible to enjoy actual old school MMORPG gameplay, they said so! This must just be nostalgia, no one actually likes this type of MMORPG gameplay! Impossible I say!

/sarcasm off
    KyleranGyva02MrMelGibson
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited May 2019
    The code and mechanics may be the same as Vanilla, but the players are worlds different. Back when WoW first released, we didn't start out there Min-Maxing everything to death with Recount running....

You can't roll back time. The code may be the same, but the game never will be.  Mods alone are worlds more sophisticated now than they were in '04-'05.

For those that have fun with it - have fun with it, and I'm happy for you. I won't go back, not because the game isn't fun, but because a few bad apple players have made it unfun for me.
    PalebaneOctagon7711
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    An impressive attempt. Not surprised by the hype. Hopefully the producers don't mess it up.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    It will be a hit, but at some point they better have an expansion ready.... Probably in the making now.
    Gdemami
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    It will probably be a success early on, but not in the long run. I mean, who the hell wants to spend years on a game that doesn't get a single content update?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gee ya think? Classic servers for the most popular MMORPG ever might do good?

World of Warcraft First Official Infographic - Blizzard Entertainment

That's from Dec 2013.

If even 1% of those players check out classic that's 1,000,000 how anyone can think this will fail is beyond me.
    GdemamiAmathe

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2019
    Nilden said:
    Gee ya think? Classic servers for the most popular MMORPG ever might do good?

That's from Dec 2013.

If even 1% of those players check out classic that's 1,000,000 how anyone can think this will fail is beyond me.
    If only 1M check Classic out Blizzard will probably consider it a failure, they are used to thinking much bigger.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Are they planning to charge another 15 a month for this?
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    The nostalgia will wear off in time and the only ones left won't amount to enough profit.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Dinasty said:
    The nostalgia will wear off in time and the only ones left won't amount to enough profit.
    Says the dying population of the Retail WOW players who know jackshit about real MMORPGS.  
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    danwest58 said:
    Dinasty said:
    Says the dying population of the Retail WOW players who know jackshit about real MMORPGS.  
    Yeah, I don't know how this will go a few months after launch though. I hope your right.  Is the lvl cap at 60 if so people will hit that quickly.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Dinasty said:
    That's only if they are playing for nostalgia's sake and not because you like the early incarnation of the game.

as far as profit? Sure, who knows what it will take to keep the server open. 
    Darkpigeon
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Hariken said:
    danwest58 said:
    Dinasty said:
    Yeah, I don't know how this will go a few months after launch though. I hope your right.  Is the lvl cap at 60 if so people will hit that quickly.
    People keep saying that most people will hit 60 fast.  Yet they dont get that leveling in classic takes a lot longer than today's MMORPGS.  People cannot even use Private servers to show how fast people will level in classic because 1 to 10 for StaySafe took him 30% longer.   Add to the fact that as you got up there in levels it also takes you longer than it does 1 to 10.   I find it funny as someone who played during classes to think players will be 60 in 2 or 3 weeks and MC raids will be cleared in a month.  

Most people during Vanilla took around 3 to 5 months to level.  I expect it to take the same amount of time overall because these will be fresh servers and players will not be able to buy gear upgrades as if the game has been out for a year.

People keep looking at Classic as its built as a Modern Day MMORPG.   Its NOT today's MMORPGS are a fucking waste of time and you are max level in less than 2 days because they are designed like that.   Old MMORPGS were designed for you to take a long ass time to max level because thats how they were designed.  Trying to Compare the two is pointless.

Scot[Deleted User]KyleranwandericaGyva02Axxar
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2019
    danwest58 said:
    Hariken said:
    danwest58 said:
    Dinasty said:

People keep looking at Classic as its built as a Modern Day MMORPG.   Its NOT today's MMORPGS are a fucking waste of time and you are max level in less than 2 days because they are designed like that.   Old MMORPGS were designed for you to take a long ass time to max level because thats how they were designed.  Trying to Compare the two is pointless.

You know, when WOW was released I considered it a refreshing, easy mode game, and certainly not "old school" by any measure back in the day.

Of course this after coming off of Lineage 2 which made six months in the County jail look like easy mode in comparison.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon