Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Look what we’ve become

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
edited May 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
(delete... inspired title)

Fickle, cynical, pessimistic, condemning. Our community seems to hate everything. Games, developers, and even stores! We tear all down with such passion. Reading thread after thread filled with vitriol has made me wonder....

If you were a developer, would you promote your product on these forums? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
What would you do?
  1. Would you promote your product here?24 votes
    1. Yes
      45.83%
    2. No
      54.17%

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Yes, because if people are cynical, pessimistic, condemning. -  they are still looking for a game! 
    bcbullyVermillion_RaventhalGdemamialkarionloglearis1Gorwe

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Aethaeryn said:
    Yes, because if people are cynical, pessimistic, condemning. -  they are still looking for a game! 
    I wish I could give you an insightful and a lol... lol 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Yes.
    It doesn't matter where you promote, you'll still get negativity.
    Best course of action is to let it go and keep promoting.

Once upon a time....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    I would because I think every forum has its naysayers. 

The "product" or service I'd put here would be reaching out to those who are interested, not those who are "not" interested. So people can discuss the product/service all they want. 

Most people will buy what they are interested in regardless of what other people say.

And for those who can be swayed, eventually they will hear enough info that will get them to try it.

Gdemami
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2019
    These forums do have a reputation, that much is true. We've heard that a lot over the years.

However, passion, if it's done right, can be enlightening for developers. My guess is that they look for the gems among the posts to find ones that are useful, well-stated and considered, and borne of passion.

I have always tried to keep a couple things in mind as I think about games. If a game doesn't appeal to me, I really try not to go into threads where by people who do like it. What substantive thoughts can I possibly offer?

If it's a game I do care about, I try to remember that developers are passionate about the game they're making. It takes a lot of hubris to believe that they're out here putting their hard work up for judgment for the giggles. What artist does that? And, yes, they are artists.

I remember years ago watching Ratatoille and hearing Anton Ego's speech about his critiques of restaurants, but to be honest, it fits in games criticism too as a reviewer or simply as a fan:

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends. 
    Does that mean we shouldn't criticize or point out shortcomings (in our opinions)? Absolutely not. But we must do so with intelligence, humor and understanding of the limitations and hardships that these people endure every single day.

GdemamibcbullyMendel[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I think most people here even if they don't like the genre are educated and have understanding how things work.  We actually care how things work vs. the average guy who just wants to play.

If you want you gaming idea run though fire and see if it holds up.  This is the place.  
    GdemamiMendel
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited May 2019
    bcbully said:

Fickle, cynical, pessimistic, condemning. Our community seems to hate everything. Games, developers, and even stores! We tear all down with such passion. Reading thread after thread filled with vitriol has made me wonder....

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited May 2019
    It is in our nature to destroy ourselves. All this has happened before and all this will happen again.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    If I were on a Dev team, and deciding to put an ad here, I guess it would depend on cost....  ;)

Haters gonna hate, but I've a job to do anyway!

Gut Out!
    SBFordAmaranthar

What, me worry?

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I don´t trust you rowdy bunch one bit, HELL no! Magical Unicorn Adventure will do just fine without you lot!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I couldn't advertise on this site, my MMO wouldn't have characters with huge boobs who look like cosplay prostitutes. So i wouldn't be able to advertise here as they seem not to accept any other type of advertisement. 

(tongue in cheek)
    SBFordRexKushman
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    This is the most vanilla Forum there is.
    Only people who complain about this forum toxicity, are members of this forums.

Here you can have heated discussions, but majority of people are articulate and generally interested in a constructive debate.
    Unlike the majority of the forums out there.
    MendelVermillion_RaventhalGdemami[Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    bcbully said:

Would I stop in here and toss down some obviously unattainable goals for my project?  NO. Much... I'd dare say MOST of the "vitriol" is from developers unable to deliver on what they sold their players. 

If I could competently do what I say I will do in roughly the time I say I will do it... then ABSOLUTELY.

Hands down the best mmorpg site on the internet.  Always has been.

MendelGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    We bitch because we give a shit. Simple as that.
    Slapshot1188MendelGdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Iselin said:
    We bitch because we give a shit. Simple as that.
    Totally agree.

Apathy is far, far worse for a game or a genre.  When people do not care, the end is near.
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The VN forums, back in the day, had a much more "abrasive" reputation ...
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I really couldn't give a yes/no answer to the poll.  It would really depend on the game, and how well it fit this site's membership.

Even if the game fit this site perfectly, an actual MMORPG, it would depend on the cost to advertise and some hard viewer numbers.  There seems to be a core of about 200-300 people who post on the forums on a regular basis.  I have no idea about how many people actually visit the site, or what type of game/information they are looking for.  If the cost versus numbers matched, and the game fit this segment of the marketplace and that segment of the market was of interest to me, then certainly, I would consider it.

I wouldn't try to do like some other developers and try to converse here, unless it was the only option.  Too many developers are spreading themselves too thin by trying to address questions about the game on every forum or discussion group there is.  We can see developers trying to engage everyone, everywhere, but only hurting their company/business.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    gervaise1 said:
    The VN forums, back in the day, had a much more "abrasive" reputation ...
    I had a 10k+ post account on VN boards back in the day before IGN takeover. Never went back after that
    Good old days. It was relatively rare back then for games to have their own forums. I used VN a lot in the DAoC days since that was their unofficial official forum complete with occasional Mark Jacobs posts.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Mendel said:
    I really couldn't give a yes/no answer to the poll.  It would really depend on the game, and how well it fit this site's membership.

Even if the game fit this site perfectly, an actual MMORPG, it would depend on the cost to advertise and some hard viewer numbers.  There seems to be a core of about 200-300 people who post on the forums on a regular basis.  I have no idea about how many people actually visit the site, or what type of game/information they are looking for.  If the cost versus numbers matched, and the game fit this segment of the marketplace and that segment of the market was of interest to me, then certainly, I would consider it.

I wouldn't try to do like some other developers and try to converse here, unless it was the only option.  Too many developers are spreading themselves too thin by trying to address questions about the game on every forum or discussion group there is.  We can see developers trying to engage everyone, everywhere, but only hurting their company/business.

If I had a game to promote, I'd never, ever, talk directly to the public.
    I'd make responses to complaints in a logical and concise way through releases.
    Talking directly to gamers is gonna get you into heated debates that can only go wrong.
    I see some that are able to make posts, and just ignore such debates once they go into battle mode, but that's a rare quality. I just wouldn't take the chance.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    There are several major effects at play.  Among them:

1)  A handful of people who hate nearly everything make a large volume of loud posts here.

2)  People who like the game they're playing are playing it.  People who don't have a game they like come here to whine about it.

3)  Many humans are idiots who like to say nasty things.  See Twitter for an example of this.

4)  The community is split between so many games that for any particular game, most of the people here don't like it or haven't played it and think they wouldn't like it.

As for advertisers, good luck finding gaming sites with forums where the posts are mostly positive.
    Gdemami
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    FIRST, peoples attitude has nothing to do with spending money on advertisement here.  Popularity of viewers is everything...... The "Jerry Springer" thing going on here actually makes it popular.  If ratings are up or down at this point is only known by developers here.  I would need to know that information first. 

"Fickle, cynical, pessimistic, condemning. Our community seems to hate everything"
    Theirs a valid reason for that !

99% of people here would agree with over 300 games on the list 270 are garbage !

Of the 30 that are left everyone would also agree mmorpgs had changed direction from what they once were several years ago.

GOOD or BAD is the argument, and it's a valid point. 

Gdemami
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Everything you say is absolutely true... about the entire internet. Just look around, go on reddit or take a chance peaking into Facebook or Twitter. 

Yes I would advertise here just as I would any other site because even though there are loud, obnoxious, pain in the ass people constantly bickering back and forth and hating on everything that breathes there are still more lurkers that don't speak up who might be interested in joining.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I would not promote my product here. 
    Not because MMORPG.COM is good or bad, 
    but because professionally there would be more formal places to promote. 

MMORPG.COM is an MMO SIte
    meaning I would have to compete with every other MMO out there simultaneously while on this site. Not healthy if one made a new game, just to deal with "if it isnt like one of the top five games, you shouldn't be playing it at all" attitude. 

When a game nears release, it ends up on plenty of sites thanks to the typical hype train associated. Right now MMORPGs are in a place where many wish for a new generation of MMOs with something new to keep us busy. 

However, the reality of MMOs as a genre is that they take a long time to make and to mature. A good MMO can take anywhere from 4 - 6 years to develop. Then post-release it requires around three to four years for the game to begin to mature. 

Its 2019 and if a game were released in 2020 that is good..
    We would have to wait to around 2024 for that game to mature and actually be good.