Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rumor about why Anthem loot, balance and store issues 'can't be fixed'

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
edited March 2019 in Anthem
Because it's working as intended.

The following Imgur text image speculates why Anthem has the issues it has.  Short version?  EA is testing an artificial intelligence that modifies some of the game's responses such as loot, balance and store according to how you play the game.  Anthem and it's players are guinea pigs for EA's version of a Pavlovian experiment.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zMuFM0g

Link provided in above image dated 18 Jan 2018:   https://www.techpowerup.com/240655/leaked-ai-powered-game-revenue-model-paper-foretells-a-dystopian-nightmare
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
Roin[Deleted User]UngoodGdemamigoboygo[Deleted User]rojoArcueidbcbully

Comments

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Facebook performed an experiment on their users as well some years back..without notifying.  Everyone is eating up the data crumbs we leave and using them for whatever they want.

Gdemami
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    And here is a counter argument on Forbes.com.  Which is a bunch of speculation also.  It ends with even if this AI exists then it is doing a piss poor job of responding to players actions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/03/29/dont-fall-for-this-anthem-psychological-manipulation-loot-conspiracy-theory/#4ba39c486465
    Gdemami
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LikesCakeLikesCake Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    I don't think this AI actually exists. They failed and cut so many other things from the game. If it existed at one point in time, it is no longer there.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If EA has an AI that controls loot etc. then that would be an improvement. The way games turn out broken these days, i have a hard time believing they have the capability to even create such a thing. :p
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well, while I know this will just be a tool Developers will use to automate tracking data on individual players to find the best way to extract more money from them, which we all know is the final goal of any of these systems.

With that said, I think this could be a good start to the future of games, this way as opposed to developers trying to build a one-size-fits-all scripted encounter, soon AI's will be able to create custom encounters for players, with adjust on the fly difficulties, to offer the most rewarding experience to players.

This will solve all the problems of content issues, as the AI can custom adjust each encounter to match the skill level of the player, This way, with the AI scaling and controlling the difficulty and rewards of the content, everyone from the most casual to the most hardcore can all enjoy all the content the game has to offer.

We are seeing the future of gaming with this kind of thought being put into MMO's.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Didn't EA layoff a bunch of Bioware people throughout the development/release of Anthem. Seems, if this were true, that we'd have received a more credible leak before now.

Not saying it's not a possibility, but the more people you have keeping a secret, the less likely it stays a secret for the most part. I'd even believe it was 'working as intended' and not AI driven. But just like the reddit post, that's just wild speculation trying to put reason to the state of things.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    nah I do belive the way the game is is working as intended because they are that idiots, but in the line I don't belive they have a AI working to calc the loot table, that would mean using they head more then just to grab money and we know they don't work like that, making a AI would cost 5x times more at least then just put the random % on it
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Phry said:
    If EA has an AI that controls loot etc. then that would be an improvement. The way games turn out broken these days, i have a hard time believing they have the capability to even create such a thing. :p
    Lol same thing I said. Remember, they want to release everything digitally and in early access now, then fix it down the line.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Grunty said:
    Because it's working as intended.

The following Imgur text image speculates why Anthem has the issues it has.  Short version?  EA is testing an artificial intelligence that modifies some of the game's responses such as loot, balance and store according to how you play the game.  Anthem and it's players are guinea pigs for EA's version of a Pavlovian experiment.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zMuFM0g

Link provided in above image dated 18 Jan 2018:   https://www.techpowerup.com/240655/leaked-ai-powered-game-revenue-model-paper-foretells-a-dystopian-nightmare
    Its farmville for EA, farming player behaviors in real-time to extract as much revenue as possible for micro transactions. It reminds of an alien invading a human host, the human doesn't know the alien is there watching, learning, waiting.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Anyone heard that Anthem may be going free to play?  More people for the cash shop... :neutral:
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Anyone heard that Anthem may be going free to play?  More people for the cash shop... :neutral:
    Really? Got a source?
    So glad I spent $80 on it a few months ago.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    LikesCake said:
    Really? Got a source?
    ...as usual - anonymous Bioware ex-employee.

So it is 100% true.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    If they had an AI, it should theoretically make people happier about paying, not more pissed off. Unless they are incompetent in using/designing it.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    They are called algorithms, it's what drives Google, Facebook, and decides the fares you pay for your flight ticket, decides your credit score, and so on.
    Most games have those algorithms for many aspect of the game not just the RMT.

Tracking customer behavior is an efficient and inexpensive way to market anything and adjusting your product to be more in line with customers needs.
    Nothing outside the norm these days.

Having said that. If Anthem has such a thing, it's doing a real shitty job at it.
    It's clearly not working.
    laxie
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Don't attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    AI does not exist, EVERY simulated AI every created has been shut down because they either began making a secret language we could not understand or they started discussing removing humanity for existence. Seriously doubt EA has created even a simulated AI, simulated AI creating is a process that is extremely difficult and extremely expensive two aspects EA would NEVER authorize.
    cmacq
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People acting like this is some real fancy artificial intelligence software.It is likely as simple as every game does loot.Of course there is code that determines how you get loot and it's drop rates and yes of course rates are manipulated as has been done in TCG's for years now and ANY type of rng based mechanic.
    This is not new to EA or any game,it has been around for a very long time.Even Blizzard/Acti's attempt to copyright some software aimed at manipulating our pending habits is lol because you are either an EASY target for cash shops or your not.
    Then of course there is the idea that the developers are trying to encourage even more spending,above the top because gamer's are so infatuated with LOOT.Geesh f2p Asian games have been doing it for a long time,better % drop rates potions etc etc.

For the average person with common sense,we say,just stop sup[porting these scummy developers however these devs don't care about the non whales because there are loads of whales to fish out of the sea.So how do we fix a problem that is supported by all the dumb asses?Well we can't,we need legal entities to remove the rng cash shops in gaming and remove all these added  costs developers have added to what USED to be a SIMPLE game purchase.

it really proves how scummy the majority of developers are,they are giving us LESS quality games but trying to manipulate more spending,they want their cake and eat it too.STOP supporting all the scum,the Blizzard's,the EA's,just STOP supporting them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I do remember that article/articles fro
     a year or so ago. Interesting.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    You misunderstood the meaning of "AI" here.
    In EA's case it stands for "Automated Incompetence".

laxie