Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes - A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 1 - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Hariken said:

Don't forget these servers existing are gonna cause the MMOpocalypse!!!! Not cash shops, not pay to win, not junk scam kickstarter/crowd funding games...nope...its city of heroes existing!

Yeah but what does it say about modern mmo's if people would rather play a shut down game on a PS. Think about that for awhile.

It says that many modern MMOs aren't being constructed to the proper standards for challenge and fun and that game development studios need to get back to the roots of what attracts players to games rather than depending on cash shops and lottery-style loot boxes to make them money.

-

Also, the latest graphics aren't everything. I keep seeing people put down CoH because the graphics are old and not to their standards. Well hell, the graphics quality of CoH wasn't the primary reason I played it. The game was fun to play as it was, especially with all the people I could play with. Last year I even bought GTA: San Andreas on Steam and I love playing it, and those graphics are worse than those of City of Heroes.

Low graphics quality doesn't necessarily make a game good or bad. It's the gameplay.

IMO the F2P and lockbox models is what has destroyed modern games, especially MMOs. It forces developers to focus on making shit to stuff into lockboxes or sell in cash shops as opposed to new content. I would gladly start paying $15/month again if it meant tons of new content and the death of lockboxes. Yeah, I'm looking at you Star Trek Online and Neverwinter.

It's amazing the amount of content that CoX has, many times more than most modern MMOs. And while Champions Online introduced some interesting mechanics and freeform builds, the gameplay simply does not come close to matching CoX. As you said, it proves you don't need fancy cut scenes, voice acting, high poly counts, and tons of shader effects to make a good game.

As someone who started playing CoH in beta, was admittedly addicted to it (not necessarily in a good way, but the only game that's ever done that to me), and played right up till the servers went down, I will be playing this game for the rest of my life, even if it means creating my own private server to do so. How many games can people say this about?
    Blaze_RockerwingoodDavodtheTutt
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited May 2019
    Many classes have some heals that are mob based or point blank with a small area around them. These can greatly augment the healing and in fact groups just run with shields and these types of heals and are able to do the content easily.

The beauty of City of Heroes is that you can play any AT and there are many ATs are able provide to support abilities.
    wingood
    Chamber of Chains
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Did NCSoft give its blessing?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

dreamer05 said:

Why did CoH shut down in the first place?

Corp greed is the common answer. My guess was also people not wanting to sub to a game they had stopped playing. Playing new MMOs and not realizing what they had till it was gone. Cuse most new MMOs are junk.
    Catibrie
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    gervaise1 said:

Indeed!
    They had an article here a while back that talked about why it was actually shut down. Paragon Studios, the ones who took over CoX after Cryptic left, apparently had been taking the money meant for CoX development and using it for another game. There had been some other shenanigans as well so NC had enough and decided to shut down the studio and the game. Not confirmed information though.

That story has already been debunked from two different angles. Please stop posting it.  

It certainly was. Don't let stupid stories obscure the truth that NCSoft closed CoH. It  simply didn't meet their profitability criteria. 
    Well I hadn't heard anything about that part. Any keywords that might help me find info on that? Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, I personally figured out it was B.S. because the story states Paragon took NCsoft's money, which was meant to go towards CoH 2, and worked on some other game with it instead.

There are two things wrong with that. The first is that NCsoft never authorized money for or told the developers at Paragon Studios to make CoH 2. The only thing NCsoft ever did was to trademark the title 'City of Heroes 2' back in 2010. The second thing that's wrong with the story is that in closing down the studio and shutting down the game NCsoft laid off everyone instead of firing people for misusing their money. In 2012 and 2013 all reports were of a managed shutdown and closure with no extreme drama. If people were getting fired for misusing money there would have been no hiding that story.

The story you are referring to appeared years after the shutdown and was never verified by anyone. There are others that can fill you in on the specifics of that.

If by debunked it means some of the people accused in that anonymous post who are possibly under an NDA denied it happened I'm inclined to believe the claim may be true. It sounds more reasonable than the alternative to me. It's not always easy to fire someone. 
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited May 2019

Well, I personally figured out it was B.S. because the story states Paragon took NCsoft's money, which was meant to go towards CoH 2, and worked on some other game with it instead.

There are two things wrong with that. The first is that NCsoft never authorized money for or told the developers at Paragon Studios to make CoH 2. The only thing NCsoft ever did was to trademark the title 'City of Heroes 2' back in 2010. The second thing that's wrong with the story is that in closing down the studio and shutting down the game NCsoft laid off everyone instead of firing people for misusing their money. In 2012 and 2013 all reports were of a managed shutdown and closure with no extreme drama. If people were getting fired for misusing money there would have been no hiding that story.

The story you are referring to appeared years after the shutdown and was never verified by anyone. There are others that can fill you in on the specifics of that.

If by debunked it means some of the people accused in that anonymous post who are possibly under an NDA denied it happened I'm inclined to believe the claim may be true. It sounds more reasonable than the alternative to me. It's not always easy to fire someone. 

There should still exist a thread here on the site where your story came up, I offered the above take on it and someone posted after me with the actual story that confirms it's B.S.. I think it involves the original poster not providing any actual information or sources so their story could be verified. I'm also thinking that the identity of the story's creator can't be verified which lends even less credibility to the story.

If you want to dig into the story and find the truth for yourself then go right ahead. It was about a year or so ago when I first read about it and I'm not going to do your work for you. You've already decided my explanation is insufficient and until you get information from another source you're just going to believe whatever you want.

Post edited by Blaze_Rocker on

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124

OG_Zorvan said:

why hasn't mmorpg.com done this much coverage and guides and whatnot for any of the emulated games before now? You know, SWG, FFXI, WOW.

Because before the last year-ish, emulated game discussion on MMORPG was not allowed. They have since relaxed the restrictions on emulated game discussion. And they have made at least one article on SWGemu.
  • CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Torval said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Is there a healing archetype in COH?  If so what is it?

Defenders, Controllers, Corruptors, and Masterminds all have access to healing sets. But like Arglebargle said, Empathy Defender is the #1 healing archetype.
    I love that the set is called Empathy. It's all about the feels, cuz sometimes even heroes gotta hug. :D
    Trust me, when an Empathy Defender/Controller wraps you in Recovery and Regeneration Auras, you really do want to give them a hug.
    DavodtheTutt
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited May 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    Is there a healing archetype in COH?  If so what is it?

Defender has heal sets.
    I was in a group last night with one of these. His or Her heals were off the charts. The group lvl was 40 and I was lvl 25. I totally forgot what is like to be in a group with a badass healer. Not one player died in one hour of play. And all the buffs on top of that. You could tell this group was a bunch of players from before shut down and they were having a blast.
    DavodtheTutt
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Next MMORPG.com Article - "Top Ten places to watch Avengers: Endgame for free!"
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    CoH Shut down because no one played aside from Virtue server which had the most stable populace at the time.

Anyhow I am loving this new mmorpg not give a fuck on emulation thing going on. Beats being banned 7 days here for talking about library files in emulators lol..

Though that does beg to question: What is the new mmorpg stance on emulation at all?
    Because this fucking topic came out of the emulation zone and that's the only reason it's here.

Like that's it. Because a bunch of dudes and dudeettes wanted that old CoH experience,

As for the earth and beyond dude..... Dude there are like dozens of privates now lol.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247

There should still exist a thread here on the site where your story came up, I offered the above take on it and someone posted after me with the actual story that confirms it's B.S.. I think it involves the original poster not providing any actual information or sources so their story could be verified. I'm also thinking that the identity of the story's creator can't be verified which lends even less credibility to the story.

If you want to dig into the story and find the truth for yourself then go right ahead. It was about a year or so ago when I first read about it and I'm not going to do your work for you. You've already decided my explanation is insufficient and until you get information from another source you're just going to believe whatever you want.

I get it, only shit you read on the internet is true, everyone else,s is false.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited May 2019

I get it, only shit you read on the internet is true, everyone else,s is false.

Sarcasm noted.

You can't believe everything you read and take it as fact immediately. I was on the internet back in about 1998 looking up codes for DOOM 64 and the codes I found were impossible to use because they contained alphanumeric characters that weren't included on the actual code entry screen. People put crap on the internet just to f*** with others because they get a kick out of it.

You must be a little more discerning with what you find on the internet. This is why I don't believe the story in question. A person who can't be verified as being involved or closely connected to anyone from Paragon Studios making claims that have never been verified by anyone cannot be considered credible. Which is why I never believed the story when I first read about it. I had no reason to given all the officially released information and the interviews from many of the City of Heroes developers.

A million people spreading the same lie doesn't make the lie any less false.

Post edited by Blaze_Rocker on

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited May 2019
    Honestly this thread was the first time I've really heard any kerfuffle about these conspiracy theories.

Last I'd known, CoH was technically still profitable when it got shut down. Small, but stable and still a profit.

It wasn't some grand conspiracy or anything as to why it'd been shut down either. NCSoft West got a new CEO, and in the process of changing the portfolio in the West branch, they shuttered multiple games and projects to bring itself in line with the main NCSoft branch and to focus down onto the launch a new title, which was at the time Carbine's Wildstar to be launched two years later.

Never believed it was a good movie on their part, but didn't consider anything of a conspiratorial nature either. Seems like a lot of extra spin-out that's just not necessary.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Limnic said:
    Honestly this thread was the first time I've really heard any kerfuffle about these conspiracy theories.

Last I'd known, CoH was technically still profitable when it got shut down. Small, but stable and still a profit.

It wasn't some grand conspiracy or anything as to why it'd been shut down either. NCSoft West got a new CEO, and in the process of changing the portfolio in the West branch, they shuttered multiple games and projects to bring itself in line with the main NCSoft branch and to focus down onto the launch a new title, which was at the time Carbine's Wildstar to be launched two years later.

Never believed it was a good movie on their part, but didn't consider anything of a conspiratorial nature either. Seems like a lot of extra spin-out that's just not necessary.
    NCSoft was fighting off a takeover bid, and used the shutdown to usefully massage the books in that fight.   They never understood CoH, as the game didn't resonate in Asia. 

They also didn't expect the reaction.   
    [Deleted User]

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Nexon's attempt at a takeover came a couple years after that time frame. 
    Nexon bought their first big batch of NCSoft stock in June 2012.   Nexon dumped their NCSoft in 2015

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

yeah seems I did have those dates off
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Utinni said:
    Next MMORPG.com Article - "Top Ten places to watch Avengers: Endgame for free!"
    I always watch movies for free -- it's called waiting until they're on TV. And you won't find Marvel, Disney, or anybody else involved in making movies saying, "Sorry folks, we don't care if you want to pay, we're taking our perfectly good movie off the market, and oh, by the way, if you have bought a copy of it you can't watch it any more, you can't show it to anyone else, and we're not selling it to anyone else so they can let you watch it, either." 

Playing CoH now is like walking down the street to where someone has left something sit on the curb next to the garbage for years, and you have a little fun with it and set it back down. They're not using it, they don't care about it, you're not taking anything from them, you're not costing them anything. Maybe they'll open the door of their house and yell, "Hey, cut that out!" Then you say "Sorry" and leave it alone. 
    Blaze_Rocker
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited June 2019
    No doubt this private server is setup for a f2p gamer/lifestyle lol. I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole as much as I loved COH/V.

But at least, I suppose, those kinds of people got another game to gamehop to. Something to keep them busy I hope.
    Blaze_Rocker
    No doubt this private server is setup for a f2p gamer/lifestyle lol. I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole as much as I loved COH/V.

But at least, I suppose, those kinds of people got another game to gamehop to. Something to keep them busy I hope.
    Yep, that's why when the Homecoming crew open the doors for donations, they get their monthly operating expenses in an hour or two, and then close it down.  

I'm having a fine old time in CoH.  As are many of my old CoH friends.  And if these servers were to be closed tomorrow, there'd be a local one operating around here by this weekend.  For local folks.....