Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite Still Seems to Reign Supreme

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
Along with all the news about Apex Legends, I saw this article pop up on my Google News:

https://www.dexerto.com/apex-legends/twitch-stats-fortnite-reigns-supreme-apex-legends-480676

Fortnite has floated its way back to the top of the Twitch charts for BR.  Additionally, Fortnite still makes more money for Epic than Apex does for EA:

https://esportsjunkie.com/2019/03/22/heres-why-fortnite-should-not-fear-apex-legends-success/

Per Tim Sweeney, the biggest competition for their base's time is actually, believe it or not: FIFA.

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    funny everyone I know stoped playing fortinite to play apex, maybe apex is for people who ahve friends to play and fortnite to the loners

but thena gain is twitch, people will play what will give then money and if fortnite twichers are being paid....

still I find a waste of time to watch someone playing
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    funny everyone I know stoped playing fortinite to play apex, maybe apex is for people who ahve friends to play and fortnite to the loners

but thena gain is twitch, people will play what will give then money and if fortnite twichers are being paid....

still I find a waste of time to watch someone playing
    While true, remember that it was revealed that Ninja was paid handsomely to stream Apex, actually.

Seems to me that Apex has carved out a healthy population, but Fortnite, as WoW before it, continues to enjoy social proof and bandwagon effects to Epic's great benefit (not to say Fortnite isn't a good game, but at a certain point the reputation does almost as much good as the game itself).

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I just don't see how Fortnite can be a long term game.....They need to have a constant flow of new population, and apparently they are still getting that.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Twitch veiws are eaisly manipulated. When yo uhave 4 or 5 of the biggest streamers all playing one game at the same time they blow every other game away. GTA V was doubling up all those games last week when Lirik, and timthetatman and Summit and sodapoppin were all online together. GTA had almost 300K people watching them last Wednesday. Shroud is looking to start playing as well. If he does and the others stay then what will those numbers look like? Shroud has pulled 60-80K alone during some of his APEX runs and believe it or not RP is a bigger draw that BRs. Especially for viewing. And especially with so many 'celebs' having the ability to interact together simultaneously. And if theyre good at pretending to be someone else thats even better.

Twitch viewership is a zero sum game if one guy who has 30-40K viewers switches from one game to another thats a 60-80K swing. If you have all these guys who jump from BR to BR all go to another genre altogether it really moves the numbers.

Apex is full of cheaters and hackers, and while they claim theyre banning people left and right it shows they cant stop them and can barely slow them down. They also made their first round of 'changes' which I said are usually things that drive people away not bring more people onboard. if you start out with 90^ saturation why change anything? Pubg is the prime example. Had they not tried so hard they probably wouldnt have fallen so hard so fast. Fortnite was THAT good to cause all that. People just got tired of the chnages that were made with Pubg so they were looking for an excuse to leave. Similar to Fortnite, its a kiddie game and every BR that has come out including a CoD title took a lot of people away from it, but people still go back to it just like they go back to WoW because it caters to the 'hardcore' casual mentality better than the alternative.
    MadFrenchie
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Fortnite success lies in kids playing. Kids are also Twich biggest viewers. So there you go

• WonderPugZWonderPugZ Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Fortnite is really popular with kids and has a lot of memes around it which kinda make it more popular in a way. I think Apex just needs more time to win against Fortnite, soon the kids will get bored with it, though they might to a different game which isn't even a battle royale.
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Fortnite has the current gravity/zeitgeist thing, for sure.

And, of course, it can't and won't last.

What matters for Fortnite is how many die-hard fans they'll retain once the boom is over.
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • Mortal1992Mortal1992 Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Fortnite is just a bunch of kids running around with umbrellas. Why would anyone make a bus that floats with balloons? in Fortnite, you have to aim 1 meter above someone’s head just to shoot them!! Fortnite Battle Royale isn’t even realistic. There are no tensions in Fortnite. 99% of the time you play Fortnite, you are running around scavenging items, and the last 1% is just getting a couple kills or getting shot in the head and getting eliminated, PUBG has way better graphics, more and better guns. Who would try to hold the wooden part of a gun with a band-aid??? PUBG has way more tension, and it is just better.

Quick Fact: Fortnite has 125 million players in the world while PUBG has 400 million.

Gdemami
  • stopmeduudestopmeduude Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Just one day hype for the kids. This is like LOL for them (instead DOTA). Give it some time, it's hard to be forever game like cs or wow. btw there are benefits, if more kids are playing there this means less kids playing normal game, sooo cheers :smile:
    If you want to  be best, sometimes you need a little boost - https://boosting-ground.com/
  • Thunt1930Thunt1930 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The game blew away the majority of titles during the early going, having seven million more viewers than Fortnite at one point. However, in recent weeks, the game has slowly slipped behind Epic Games' mega-popular title - with Fortnite almost doubling the number of concurrent viewers regularly since the end of February. 
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Well i guess 10 year olders have a lot of free time...
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yes but if you thought aimbot was bad in PUBG, Fortnite has way too many users using build bots, and automated macros to assist with building / blocking fire to enjoy.
    Gdemami
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited May 2019
    I believe that the Apex legends developer commented on the decrease in popularity by saying that they didn't want to push their workforce into the (unfortunate industry standard) crunch culture, which means that the updates on the game are not going to be as frequent as the competition, which will also mean decrease in popularity.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/64905/apex-legends-respawn-says-seasonal-updates-help-prevent-overworked-employees
    Post edited by Xasapis on
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    As long as they keep making new costumes, they will do just fine.
    Because, in case people didn't get the message yet, players like cosmetic stuff.
    I am willing to bet that for the majority of modern players, character customization (outfits/gear) it's one of the most important thing they look in a game (see BDO, WoW transmog and so on).
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115

That's what comes of chasing trends rather than setting them.
    Give developers (almost) free reign and you'll see good games.
    Basically the best games are made by developers who are also players and create the game they want to play.

In fact the biggest publishers just buy successful smaller Studios in order to be relevant, they rarely create anything groundbreaking on their own.
    [Deleted User]
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    The great cosmetics, frequent updates and continuously evolving story are what make it a success and will continue to be.

Im actually jealous because I don't have an mmo that gets that kind of attention.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]gunklacker
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    maybe i should learn how to FLoss like a Boss
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited May 2019
    If League of legends can be successful after 10 years since launch with no end in sight for this train, why can't Fortnite last 10+ years?
    ChildoftheShadows
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2019
    Kabulozo said:
    If League of legends can be successful after 10 years since launch with no end in sight for this train, why can't Fortnite last 10+ years?
    It is possible, but top down mobas are a niche so LoL's success isn't really threatened by other games. Literally any multiplayer shooter(not just battle royale) can be a threat to Fortnite.

My thoughts.

Kabulozo said:
    It is possible, but top down mobas are a niche so LoL's success isn't really threatened by other games. Literally any multiplayer shooter(not just battle royale) can be a threat to Fortnite.

My thoughts.
    True-ish, fortnite wasn't the first BR just like LoL wasn't the first MOBA. You never know.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    What is the long term appeal of the game? You don't develop your character or gain stats or anything do you?
    What is the long term appeal of the game? You don't develop your character or gain stats or anything do you?
    You're thinking like an mmo player. Look at csgo. What's the long term appeal there?
    MadFrenchie
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I think that is the appeal though, No long term   time commitment , 15-20 minutes , boom you are done. The appeal is to  win the match and keep trying to improve you personal best finish. I do agree with you though , that "hook" just doesn't quite do it for me.
    MadFrenchie
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Fortnite success lies in kids playing. Kids are also Twich biggest viewers. So there you go
    So true