Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes - A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 1 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019

Indeed!
    They had an article here a while back that talked about why it was actually shut down. Paragon Studios, the ones who took over CoX after Cryptic left, apparently had been taking the money meant for CoX development and using it for another game. There had been some other shenanigans as well so NC had enough and decided to shut down the studio and the game. Not confirmed information though.

That story has already been debunked from two different angles. Please stop posting it.  

It certainly was. Don't let stupid stories obscure the truth that NCSoft closed CoH. It  simply didn't meet their profitability criteria. 
    [Deleted User]wingoodCaptFabulousBlaze_Rocker
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It's nice that you put in the comments about ability to solo for those who are into that, but I always felt that CoH was the sort of game best played without such calculations in mind. Also it seems to be missing the point to try to level up as fast as possible, yet many do that, too. I guess it shows you can enjoy a game the way you want, even if you're missing out on what it's best for.
    Not sure the "rush to max level" was that much of a thing pre-WoW however even if it was:

CoH contained multiple story arcs / achievements that were both level gated AND level capped. If you over-levelled you had to look for a lower level who would take you as a sidekick; since the game had sidekicked who would be adjusted up or down.  
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited May 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    It's nice that you put in the comments about ability to solo for those who are into that, but I always felt that CoH was the sort of game best played without such calculations in mind. Also it seems to be missing the point to try to level up as fast as possible, yet many do that, too. I guess it shows you can enjoy a game the way you want, even if you're missing out on what it's best for.
    Not sure the "rush to max level" was that much of a thing pre-WoW however even if it was:

CoH contained multiple story arcs / achievements that were both level gated AND level capped. If you over-levelled you had to look for a lower level who would take you as a sidekick; since the game had sidekicked who would be adjusted up or down.  
    They have kind of solved this with Ouroboros portal that allows you to do story arcs you might have missed due to over levelling. I just locked my level to do some of the more memorable ones like the dastardly Dr.Vahzilok  or the wonderfully written Villain arcs. I really think Villain side had brilliant writing. Praetoria isn't too bad either except both sides are filled with either  megalomaniacs or extremists bent on butchering everyone.

Seriously though if you play City of Heroes like how it is meant to be played since they give you 1000 character slots, you can do all the arcs on one toon or another . The sheer number of combinations and permutations on the pools must easily bring it up to the hundreds at least.
    Post edited by kitarad on
    [Deleted User]wingoodgervaise1

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited May 2019

MikeB said:

When the hell did they add Master Mind to the game, because I have zero memory of playing this archetype. I'm guessing I'd moved on to the slew of other MMORPGs by then.

2005 with City of Villains. I'll be covering all the CoV archetypes next week!

I was going to say! They aren't really separate now are they? You can play all the Archtypes on either side, correct?

I remember making an Energy Blaster, man was it fun, knocking the enemies back and down round robin style until they stopped getting back up. Once you got up to a certain level is just didn't work anymore. In CoH it was beneficial to team up, and easy, so they should have made every player option able to solo better.

Yep! You can play all Archetypes on either side of the game. The one caveat is that Epic Archetypes (which I'll be covering in Pt. 3) must start out on their respective sides. You can side switch them through the Morality system or at Null the Gull on the private server.

As for Blasters, they actually did improve their solo capabilities. Each secondary powerset was updated with a new power that gives them significant endurance management and regeneration/healing. I haven't played through as a solo Blaster with these changes to see if they are enough to make the soloing experience less painful, but that was definitely the goal with here. The new abilities were added in Issue 24, which was still in beta when the game was shut down.
    [Deleted User]wingood
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Yeah. CoH is it's most fun in groups, for sure. But the beauty of the game is that people can play it how they want. For some people the entire game is the character creator or rolling new ideas when they get bored. I just include the guidance on soloing because it can be pretty painful on certain Archetypes (or really easy on others) and that's useful information for some people.
    wingoodDavodtheTutt
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Personally, I've had no problems levelling a solo defender. Obviously, the powerset choices make this more or less do-able though.
    wingoodwarsaber1375
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Wait so... CoV is in there as well !?..
    I remember starting out playing CoV and never actually got into CoH due to this.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    For those wanting to take the Controller route, you should consider the combo of illusion/storm.  Utter Chaos!  Foes flying everywhere!  Your team bitching at you - until you save them from a wipe.

That said, there's a ton of cool, fun, and sometimes synergistic power sets.   
    Blaze_Rocker

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Siveria said:

JDexter said:

Nifty!

(Edit: Now if that could happen with Earth and Beyond!)

There has been a earth and beyond private server for years.

And now i'm playing two of my favorite MMO's of all time. This could be a great summer. I don't even care about any of the newer games anymore. Private servers all the way.

When the hell did they add Master Mind to the game, because I have zero memory of playing this archetype. I'm guessing I'd moved on to the slew of other MMORPGs by then.

I'M playing one and its a fun pet class.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    How safe is this to play?  I never played COH, and always wanted too.  Was thinking about giving it a spin, but don’t trust private servers.  

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    How safe is this to play?  I never played COH, and always wanted too.  Was thinking about giving it a spin, but don’t trust private servers.  
    According to some posters in the thread, playing this will take your house, your car, put you in prison for 200000 years, have an affair with your spouse, and end gaming as we know it
    I was more worried about my pc being used for bit attacks or an data mining.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:

MMOman101 said:

According to some posters in the thread, playing this will take your house, your car, put you in prison for 200000 years, have an affair with your spouse, and end gaming as we know it

Its true there are some bad PS out there but this is not one of them and neither is the Earth & Beyond one. You should Google City of Heroes Homecoming and checkout the sight. For Earth & Beyond Google Net7.org.

Don't forget these servers existing are gonna cause the MMOpocalypse!!!! Not cash shops, not pay to win, not junk scam kickstarter/crowd funding games...nope...its city of heroes existing!

Yeah but what does it say about modern mmo's if people would rather play a shut down game on a PS. Think about that for awhile.
    wilcoxon
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    MMOman101 said:
    MMOman101 said:
    If it means I can play COH again it's a fair trade
    Blaze_RockerMadFrenchie
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    gervaise1 said:

Indeed!
    They had an article here a while back that talked about why it was actually shut down. Paragon Studios, the ones who took over CoX after Cryptic left, apparently had been taking the money meant for CoX development and using it for another game. There had been some other shenanigans as well so NC had enough and decided to shut down the studio and the game. Not confirmed information though.

That story has already been debunked from two different angles. Please stop posting it.  

It certainly was. Don't let stupid stories obscure the truth that NCSoft closed CoH. It  simply didn't meet their profitability criteria. 
    Well I hadn't heard anything about that part. Any keywords that might help me find info on that? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

The End is Nigh
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]DavodtheTutt
    Is there a healing archetype in COH?  If so what is it?

--John Ruskin

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MMOman101 said:

Defender has heal sets.
    Blaze_Rockerwingood

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited May 2019
    gervaise1 said:

Indeed!

Well I hadn't heard anything about that part. Any keywords that might help me find info on that? Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, I personally figured out it was B.S. because the story states Paragon took NCsoft's money, which was meant to go towards CoH 2, and worked on some other game with it instead.

There are two things wrong with that. The first is that NCsoft never authorized money for or told the developers at Paragon Studios to make CoH 2. The only thing NCsoft ever did was to trademark the title 'City of Heroes 2' back in 2010. The second thing that's wrong with the story is that in closing down the studio and shutting down the game NCsoft laid off everyone instead of firing people for misusing their money. In 2012 and 2013 all reports were of a managed shutdown and closure with no extreme drama. If people were getting fired for misusing money there would have been no hiding that story.

The story you are referring to appeared years after the shutdown and was never verified by anyone. There are others that can fill you in on the specifics of that.

CaptFabulouswingood

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited May 2019
    Hariken said:

Don't forget these servers existing are gonna cause the MMOpocalypse!!!! Not cash shops, not pay to win, not junk scam kickstarter/crowd funding games...nope...its city of heroes existing!

Yeah but what does it say about modern mmo's if people would rather play a shut down game on a PS. Think about that for awhile.

It says that many modern MMOs aren't being constructed to the proper standards for challenge and fun and that game development studios need to get back to the roots of what attracts players to games rather than depending on cash shops and lottery-style loot boxes to make them money.

-

Also, the latest graphics aren't everything. I keep seeing people put down CoH because the graphics are old and not to their standards. Well hell, the graphics quality of CoH wasn't the primary reason I played it. The game was fun to play as it was, especially with all the people I could play with. Last year I even bought GTA: San Andreas on Steam and I love playing it, and those graphics are worse than those of City of Heroes.

Low graphics quality doesn't necessarily make a game good or bad. It's the gameplay.

CaptFabulouswingoodwarsaber1375

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    MMOman101 said:

You want an Empath Defender or Controller.  There are other healing powersets, but Empath is the closest to a straight up healer.  Me, I prefer Dark, but that's the beauty of choices.....
    Blaze_Rocker[Deleted User]wingoodDavodtheTutt

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36
    edited May 2019
    MMOman101 said:

Defenders, Controllers, Corruptors, and Masterminds all have access to healing sets. But like Arglebargle said, Empathy Defender is the #1 healing archetype.