Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anything changed?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
Or are we still in the dark age of MMO's where they pretty much all suck these days?

I started playing MMO's back during UO and original EQ.. went from those to EQOA on PS2, and then FFXI.. and then WoW.

Since then I've played/beta tested/etc: Age of Conan, Warhammer, Guild Wars 1 and 2, Tera, Darkfall, Asheron's Call, LOTRO, EQ2, Black Desert Online, Archeage, EVE, SWTOR, FFXIV, Vanguard, Dark Age of Camelot, Rift, Aion, Runes of Magic, Runescape, Mortal Online, Flyff, Blade and Soul.. and a bunch of others I can't even remember the names of right now.. and all of Nexon's 2D games, like Nexus; Kingdom of the Winds.

I'm currently subbed to WoW, but I'm so over that game. I was only playing because a friend from work was playing, but we play so sporatically together that I'm just wasting my money.

Has anything changed, or are we still recommending the same 10 games? 

I'm looking into Outward, even though it's not an MMO.. Looks pretty interesting.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Yup we are right in the middel of darkness..it cant get anymore black..just like this sites background colour..it fits for the dead games. R.I.P Mmorpg

And yes its still the same 10 game sthat gets remaked and updated for the worse or to keep you play for another 1-3 month zzzz endless screw of darkness..So ur best option is to stare out the window and see how wildlife is doing.

Or sell ur game rig..sadly

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    We've entered a new renaissance...

Private servers are making a comeback!
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Try Boundless or Trove.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    you have loot shooters now, try Division 2, its a strange bird to play.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    edited May 2019
    There is Elder scrolls online..its not bad but you need to buy the main game and the other expansions + the new one the 4 june and then you want a sub for 15 $ pr month to enjoy the game fullest.  But each month you get "crowns" 1650 and its a ingame itemshop cash value. But you can also buy the DLC for your given crown.

So if you played for a ½ year then you saved enough crown to buy all the DLC :D
    And then you can cancel ur sub if you dont need the other benefits like duble bank space and super fast mounts and rockets and the Neo armstrong cyclone armstrong canon !

You can start with the main game before you buy the expansions

It will cost you 70 EU to get the main game + all the expansions, and then you still need to buy the sub for 15 $ to get all the DLC

And then you can seach for Alcast on youtube and look for his site regarding builds and tips..he can make your head turn around and explode :D
    Post edited by Hyperpsycrow on

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    raystantz said:
    Or are we still in the dark age of MMO's where they pretty much all suck these days?

I started playing MMO's back during UO and original EQ.. went from those to EQOA on PS2, and then FFXI.. and then WoW.

Since then I've played/beta tested/etc: Age of Conan, Warhammer, Guild Wars 1 and 2, Tera, Darkfall, Asheron's Call, LOTRO, EQ2, Black Desert Online, Archeage, EVE, SWTOR, FFXIV, Vanguard, Dark Age of Camelot, Rift, Aion, Runes of Magic, Runescape, Mortal Online, Flyff, Blade and Soul.. and a bunch of others I can't even remember the names of right now.. and all of Nexon's 2D games, like Nexus; Kingdom of the Winds.

I'm currently subbed to WoW, but I'm so over that game. I was only playing because a friend from work was playing, but we play so sporatically together that I'm just wasting my money.

Has anything changed, or are we still recommending the same 10 games? 

I'm looking into Outward, even though it's not an MMO.. Looks pretty interesting.
    Yes, we are in the dark age of MMORPGs. Too many companies tried to re-create WoW's critical success/profit margin, only to flop. This in turn caused investors to shy away from funding future renditions of MMORPGs. But, the real tragedy is, they shouldn't have invested in a WoW clone and instead, they should've done thorough research/market analysis and figure out, "What would sell this MMORPG? What would keep people paying $14.99 a month for years?" However, that's playing the long game, and when investments of money are concerned, people are too focused on the short game. Which is why you have a bunch of indie developers crowd-funding their own vision of an MMORPG. 

However, I don't see them learning from their mistakes as most of these indie studios were once part of one of the major gaming companies that gave us some of the great MMORPGs of the past. I would gladly pay large sums of money for Warhammer Online 2 with more content/classes/less bugs, but that will never happen. I would also pay large sums of money for SWG Pre-CU with updated graphics/less bugs, but that will also never happen. So far, the only game I'm anxiously waiting is Camelot Unchained, but it's still 2 to 5 years away from going Gold based on their progress thus far. 

Hell, I'd kill just to be able to play Bannerlord this year and it's not even an MMORPG.
    MikeJezZ
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I felt advancement and creativity ended with FFXI.Luckily FFXI lasted a long time so i had a lot of years of good times.

Now a days,the way i see Big business operate in gaming,i have little doubt of a hq game in any genre,let alone a mmorpg.

Furthermore,the large majority of gamer's seem to be attracted to VERY simple,shallow games,like the BR's and the arpg's and the tft's etc etc.I do not see immersive gaming as being very popular,hand holding,cash shop spending seem to be very popular.

Gaming has gone in a terrible direction,marketing/gimmicks >high quality designs.Simple loot systems rather than well designed systems.

As of right this minute 99.9999% is unappealing on the market.Perhaps one day FFXI mobile will release with some quality emulators to play it,maybe it is just a junky cash shop version of itself,who knows,other than that,i see a large dumpster full of trash,over rated trash.

Here is an idea,instead of making HQ games,let's market and over hype Stadia.....sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Unfortunately it looks like our hobby is moving to mobile.......