Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favourite Minor Feature/Mechanic In A Game

2»

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited May 2019
    Ungood said:

In Trove, I loved the being able to build anything, the reflections of various blocks and how you could have several "white" blocks and each with its own sheen, was a really amazing to be honest, I really liked Water, Chocolate and Lava physics. 

Try minecraft with the ray tracing (or rather path tracing) patch, you'll be amazed.
    To be honest, while I saw people do some impressive work with Minecraft, the game itself was not that impressive. I mean, the blocks looked like 8 bit graphics slapped on a larger voxel block as opposed to the single block being a complete thing.

In Trove, (outside a few things like wings) everything was made of base voxels of various reflections, transparencies, colors, and sheens.

It just felt like a more clean easy to build with game. 

But to each their own on that.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:

In contrast to that.. BDO's ass physics were a really nice touch.
    Maybe I'm playing the wrong class, or wearing the wrong outfit, but I've never noticed ass physics in BDO. 
    It's very subtle, much like the breast physics in BDO as well, they are not flopping and juggling around like jello filled wheat sacks.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ungood said:

... they are not flopping and juggling around like jello filled wheat sacks.
    You win the internet today. Though a jiggly wheat sack now and then never hurt anyone.
    MendelUngoodAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

In Trove, I loved the being able to build anything, the reflections of various blocks and how you could have several "white" blocks and each with its own sheen, was a really amazing to be honest, I really liked Water, Chocolate and Lava physics. 

Try minecraft with the ray tracing (or rather path tracing) patch, you'll be amazed.
    To be honest, while I saw people do some impressive work with Minecraft, the game itself was not that impressive. I mean, the blocks looked like 8 bit graphics slapped on a larger voxel block as opposed to the single block being a complete thing.

In Trove, (outside a few things like wings) everything was made of base voxels of various reflections, transparencies, colors, and sheens.

I'm not talking about basic Minecraft...
    Minecraft + ray tracing + texture patch.
    Despite still being cubes, it's impressive.
    A cheap way to see what all this buzz about ray tracing is all about.

Very impressive.. and this just cements that the future of world building for MMO's will be Voxel.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    There was a feature added to EVE Online a few years ago that really helped me out a lot when I moved back to Empire controlled space to fly with Spectre Fleet.

It was called "The Safety".  You see, when you live in Zero Security or "NullSec" space in EVE Online, you can shoot anyone, anywhere at any time with no penalty.  But if you live in space controlled by one of the major civilized empires, you have to watch out for the space police (woop woop!) if you commit any "criminal" acts, and you have to watch out for other players if you commit any "suspect" acts.

But the safety feature was just one tiny little button added to your UI. 

By clicking it, you can change it to Green, Yellow and Red.  If you set it Green, then the game won't allow you to commit criminal or suspect acts where those acts can be committed.  

If you set it to yellow the game won't allow you to commit  criminal acts where criminal acts can be committed, but will let you commit suspect acts like stealing from another player.  Although, by doing this, you become freely attack-able by other players without repercussion.

If you set it to red then the game doesn't prevent you from doing anything.  You can commit any kind of illegal activity anywhere in the game.

So for years and years I was used to attacking neutral players that I encountered in NullSec space, so when I moved back to Empire, setting my safety to Yellow saved my ship from being blown up by the space police (woop woop!) a few times when I forgot where I was.
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

I'm not talking about basic Minecraft...
    Minecraft + ray tracing + texture patch.
    Despite still being cubes, it's impressive.
    A cheap way to see what all this buzz about ray tracing is all about.

I always find the buzz about ray tracing funny, its been around for many, many years. A mate of mine had demo’s of it running on his Nintendo DS.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    In Anarchy Online you could write small scripts which could do things like create a list of items a guild had. For example players would put a command into their text box and a list of all nanos held by the guild officer who kept them would appear. You then arranged a meetup and collected what you had asked for.
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    The Centraforge in Boundless (On Steam)
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Voicesets!!!

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Gorwe said:
    I don't know what constitutes "minor", but:

1. Ability to dye your gear
    2. Ability to morph your skills(Sacred 2, ESO etc)
    3. Ability to get around WITHOUT a map / compass(Morrowind style)
    4. Drunk mechanics(like in Guild Wars 1)
    5. WAR's trophies(as a general idea ; the implementation sucked though - some were absurdly small and others were just in your face)
    Now that you mention it.

I really liked the dyes and way GW2's wardrobe worked, i mean I really liked their whole fashion war thing they had going on, but that I don't think was a Minor Feature.. but I really liked it anyway.

I was waiting for something like color shifting or glowing dyes to happen next.

GW2 also had this Novel idea of something they called Town Clothing.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Is town clothing like NPC faction uniforms?

Me, I'm always looking for fishing minigames that are more of an arcade game with a skill component, as well as pet breeding or merging, or even mount breeding.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.