Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unexpected Surprise

AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
So we don't see much in game, we don't find out much of what is happening...
well not unless we are in the premium forum....

So I was surprised to see a video set in the pre-Elyria style in the semi-arid desert with a sandstorm coming. 

It wasn't much but was nice to see something positive.

Here is the post
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31491/Is-that-a-shiny-I-see-in-the-desert
daarcoOctagon7711MadFrenchie

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Looks great for a pre-alpha.
    The devs have said that now after 2.5 years of development they will able to show more ingame footage.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I suggested this a few times, but I think they should focus on the low poly version for a number of reasons. 
    GdemamiAnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I suggested this a few times, but I think they should focus on the low poly version for a number of reasons. 
    If they can make the game they have suggested with these graphics I would still play. 

I would be happy for them to release with these graphics and a promise of new improved visuals in a later patch. 

But I doubt that will happen
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I would take more, minute/few minutes clips of them running around in Pre-Elyria. Over any other shiny they do. So was a nice surprise. 
    AnOldFart
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Interesting video, thanks for showing that.
    bcbully

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    IT EXISTS!!!!!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Octagon7711bcbullyMendel
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    This surprise was unexpected, in contrast to all of those other surprises that were expected?
    Octagon7711
    Quizzical said:
    This surprise was unexpected, in contrast to all of those other surprises that were expected?
    Well you can have an expected surprise

"Your know about your surprise party, but it's still a surprise party."

Or more on point. 

"Your expecting a development update, in that expected update is a surprise video."

This was unexpected because

1) We were not expecting an update like this. 
    2) We definately were not expecting a gameplay video (albeit in the Pre-Alpha client) 
    Gdemami
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    What's with the little dot floating over the avatar's head?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Looks like the kind of footage you would expect in early development, wake me up after another three years because this is going to take a while.
    Gutlard
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    They must've worked on this between sales. Sorry for the cynicism...

Gut ouT!
    bcbullyEvilGeek

What, me worry?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    That is not at all what I expected this game to look like, art wise.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    The game was too ambitious from the start, and it didn't help telling the devs so as they were too confident in their own skills.
    bcbully
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    You know people are starved when a steaming pile of poo looks like a 5 star meal.
    I wouldn't go as far as a steaming pile, but the reactions are pretty much overstated as expected.  The negative responses are downvoted to around -30, while the positive responses are upvoted to around 10.  The video isn't breathtaking, the terrain uninspiring (okay, hard to make a desert look good), and the dust storm had no affect on the avatar's health.  Visibility was reduced, but then there was only 1 character visible in the 60 second video.  So, how much did this dust storm 'feature' really affect the game?

As for the dust storm itself, it just seemed to start.  It didn't appear on the horizon, it didn't build from nothing, it just appeared at full strength.  How are the players supposed to react to this bit of weather?  Seek shelter?  Try to run through the storm?  Natural phenomena like storms give all sorts of indicators.  There didn't seem to be any signs of an impending storm.  Should SBS actually tie some harmful effect to this weather event, there will be a lot of players caught in the storm. 

And there were no real signs of direction, either.  Wind moves.  Dust moves.  A dust storm builds, moves and dies.  It isn't static.  This felt more like a developer flipped the own switch and, presto!  The are was enveloped in a dust storm.  A direction of wind, dust, debris, etc. would give a player some kind of hint as to which way to try to go -- against the wind to try to go through, with the wind to try to outrun the storm, or tangential to the wind to go to one side or the other.

My guess is that this storm effect doesn't have as much player impact to warrant the development effort it took to install this.  At least, in the current state demonstrated in the video.

Slapshot1188Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

I think the biggest impact it had was to hide what was/wasn't there.

Gut ouT!

What, me worry?

Mendel said:
    You know people are starved when a steaming pile of poo looks like a 5 star meal.
    I wouldn't go as far as a steaming pile, but the reactions are pretty much overstated as expected.  The negative responses are downvoted to around -30, while the positive responses are upvoted to around 10.  The video isn't breathtaking, the terrain uninspiring (okay, hard to make a desert look good), and the dust storm had no affect on the avatar's health.  Visibility was reduced, but then there was only 1 character visible in the 60 second video.  So, how much did this dust storm 'feature' really affect the game?

As for the dust storm itself, it just seemed to start.  It didn't appear on the horizon, it didn't build from nothing, it just appeared at full strength.  How are the players supposed to react to this bit of weather?  Seek shelter?  Try to run through the storm?  Natural phenomena like storms give all sorts of indicators.  There didn't seem to be any signs of an impending storm.  Should SBS actually tie some harmful effect to this weather event, there will be a lot of players caught in the storm. 

And there were no real signs of direction, either.  Wind moves.  Dust moves.  A dust storm builds, moves and dies.  It isn't static.  This felt more like a developer flipped the own switch and, presto!  The are was enveloped in a dust storm.  A direction of wind, dust, debris, etc. would give a player some kind of hint as to which way to try to go -- against the wind to try to go through, with the wind to try to outrun the storm, or tangential to the wind to go to one side or the other.

My guess is that this storm effect doesn't have as much player impact to warrant the development effort it took to install this.  At least, in the current state demonstrated in the video.

I think there are two parts here.  

1.  The art style.  I actually like it and I think there are many advantages to using this art style compared to the full blown high rez stuff they want to use.  Not only would this art style save a lot of money on costs, but performance should be a  lot better as well. Not everyone likes it... fair enough... but I do.

2. Progress.  This doesn't actually demonstrate much.  Compare it to the Silver Run mine demo released over 2 years ago which appeared to show a game further along than what is shown in this clip.  Now admittedly, this was just a snippet and not something designed to show everything off, but by the same token, nobody should really be looking at this minute-long clip as any sort of major step forward :)  It was simply a nice little clip.  Let's leave it at that.

MendelGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Why show different clips using different art styles over 2 years apart when the previous clip looked farther along? That doesn't seem like a good move on any level to me.

Was this a "here's proof that we've definitely been working on stuff" clip?

I'm not sure if that's what this does...

Gut ouT!

What, me worry?

Gutlard said:
    Why show different clips using different art styles over 2 years apart when the previous clip looked farther along? That doesn't seem like a good move on any level to me.

Gut ouT!
    Careful Son... that's damn near Harbinger talk :)

Let us not over-analyze the 1 minute clip.  Lets just enjoy it for what it is :)

edited May 2019
    Gutlard said:

Gut ouT!
    Careful Son... that's damn near Harbinger talk :)

Let us not over-analyze the 1 minute clip.  Lets just enjoy it for what it is :)
    Yes a pre alpha video of in development gameplay.

Mendel said:

All of this might be relevant if it wasn't Pre-Alpha.
    Your putting fully devoped expectations in a game in development. That there us not the devs fault but an error in your expectations tbh
    Ok, I'll watch it again to see if I can fake any joy from it!

Like my wife...

Gut ouT!
    AnOldFartSlapshot1188TillerMendelDakeruTorrsk

What, me worry?

Mendel said:

I think there are two parts here.  

1.  The art style.  I actually like it and I think there are many advantages to using this art style compared to the full blown high rez stuff they want to use.  Not only would this art style save a lot of money on costs, but performance should be a  lot better as well. Not everyone likes it... fair enough... but I do.

2. Progress.  This doesn't actually demonstrate much.  Compare it to the Silver Run mine demo released over 2 years ago which appeared to show a game further along than what is shown in this clip.  Now admittedly, this was just a snippet and not something designed to show everything off, but by the same token, nobody should really be looking at this minute-long clip as any sort of major step forward :)  It was simply a nice little clip.  Let's leave it at that.

That's my point.  How much effort has gone into producing an atmospheric effect?  Does this effort represent any kind of major step forward for the game?  I think they would be far better off working on the promised mass battles than weather effects.

A nice, insignificant, little clip.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Quizzical said:
    Bah, humbug! :D 

AnOldFart said:
    <snip>
    Mendel said:

All of this might be relevant if it wasn't Pre-Alpha.
    Your putting fully devoped expectations in a game in development. That there us not the devs fault but an error in your expectations tbh
    How about showing some of the things they promised, and actually collected money for?

Two years since the last public video clip, and it shows inconsequential things that few, if any, people were awaiting.  It does not signify any real advances in the game development, only playing around with various environmental/atmospheric controls.  Of course, this could be a video of a artistic development tool being passed off as their game.  Wouldn't be the first time a developer tried to do that.

I don't have expectations for this game, but this isn't showing any level of design detail for two years worth of work.  They could have easily added approaching, impending and raging storm placeholder art in that time frame.  That would at least have provided something the player could react to.  Given the claims about the detail levels that their world is supposed to have, it is odd to me that a simple storm appears to have an "Off/On" switch. even in an early developmental state.

Gdemami

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    I watched the video again, now on a big screen, you can actually see the sandstorm in the background in the whole video before it engulfs the character.

And i do not think the sandstorm do any real damage to the character.
    But since there is no ingame minimap or compass, it would be impossible to navigate.
    Ad since it is an survival game, you could die if you get lost.
    Especially if you are only a visitor or invader.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited May 2019
    @Slapshot1188 ;

have you seen any video before? Did you know there is a game world? Are you able to access the paid forums? 

From the information I’ve received from you here on these forums, I honestly thought that there was nothing more than concepts on paper.

I really hope you respond. For many on these forums your as close to it gets for an credible official source. 

Had to rephrase... guess my first post was too aggressive...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"