Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes - A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 1 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCity of Heroes - A Guide to Archetypes – Pt. 1 - MMORPG.com

Last week we offered up some handy tips to get started in City of Heroes, but another area that can often be confusing for new players is the game’s many Archetype choices. Archetypes in City of Heroes are similar in some ways to classes in other games, but due to the freedom CoH offers, it’s best to think of them as a sort of framework for what powers you’ll have available to you.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JDexterJDexter Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Did I miss something? Isn't CoH long gone (unfortunately)?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Scrapper FTW

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    JDexter said:
    Yeah, you missed something.. :D
    Scotceh430

Rosenborg said:

JDexter said:

Do tell.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    JDexter said:

Rosenborg said:

JDexter said:

Do tell.
    Well, apparently when the game closed, one of the original devs gave the server source code to someone. That someone then ran a secret private server for like six years before the news broke out. He then released the source code and there are now public private servers, known as COH: Homecoming.

wingoodBlaze_Rocker
    edited May 2019
    Nifty! (Edit: Now if that could happen with Earth and Beyond!)
    AlverantWarlyxsschruppraduu
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

JDexter said:

Nifty!

(Edit: Now if that could happen with Earth and Beyond!)

It did. ;)
    MadFrenchie
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    edited May 2019

JDexter said:

Nifty!

There has been a earth and beyond private server for years.
    ScotHariken

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Siveria said:

JDexter said:

Nifty!

There has been a earth and beyond private server for years.
    This. Playerbase isn't huge, it has like 45 online right now, but it's still there and able to be played. 
    Hariken
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

When the hell did they add Master Mind to the game, because I have zero memory of playing this archetype. I'm guessing I'd moved on to the slew of other MMORPGs by then.

2005 with City of Villains. I'll be covering all the CoV archetypes next week!
    [Deleted User]wingoodScotsschruppWasadiinfomatzceh430Samhael
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

JDexter said:

Nifty!

google .... /hint

Kilrane
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    With each character class there were also trade-offs.

There were tanks that could also deal decent damage for example and tanks that were basically invulnerable but whose damage wasn't great.

Controllers put the trade-offs into very sharp focus.

You could think of Controllers as "masters of X". And the application of that power is what allowed them to both "limit" mobs and - with one exception - deal significant damage. A Gravity controller say could hold a group of mobs in the air and slamming them down would cause damage; fire might be used to cause mobs to "choke" etc. It was not uncommon for controllers to be asked, when joining a group, what their damage type was.

The exception was Mind Controllers. Who messed with mobs heads. Multiple aoe crowd control powers - so able cast one and then cast a second when the first wore off or control two groups. When it came to damage though not really - and by extension not so much soloing either. Keeping a tough arch-villain locked down though - no problem - they had the strongest control powers. Just no damage to speak of!

[Deleted User]
  • rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    edited May 2019
    Homecoming currently has around 60,000 players with that number increasing pretty rapidly.
    Lighttipwarsaber1375
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

rochrist said:

Homecoming currently has around 60,000 players with that number increasing pretty rapidly.

60,000 players saying come on NSoft get of your backsides. They could even pass the torch on like Bless was, the difference being that CoH was a solid game and CoV just made it the best supers MMORPG there has been.
    gunklackerAlpiuswingoodceh430Lighttipwarsaber1375
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Great write-up! I'll have to have my wife read this when I convince her she wants to play. :)
    gunklackerceh430MikeB
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    If you had told me City of Heroes and WoW vanilla would be the best MMORPGs in 2019 I would never have believed it but here we are.
    Blaze_RockerScotwingoodceh430CaptFabulousLimnic

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

MikeB said:

When the hell did they add Master Mind to the game, because I have zero memory of playing this archetype. I'm guessing I'd moved on to the slew of other MMORPGs by then.

2005 with City of Villains. I'll be covering all the CoV archetypes next week!

I was going to say! They aren't really separate now are they? You can play all the Archtypes on either side, correct?
    I remember making an Energy Blaster, man was it fun, knocking the enemies back and down round robin style until they stopped getting back up. Once you got up to a certain level is just didn't work anymore. In CoH it was beneficial to team up, and easy, so they should have made every player option able to solo better.
    Blaze_Rockerwingood
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247

Scot said:

rochrist said:

60,000 players saying come on NSoft get of your backsides. They could even pass the torch on like Bless was, the difference being that CoH was a solid game and CoV just made it the best supers MMORPG there has been.

Exactly, if NCSoft decided to open up a CoH server themselves and charge us the typical amount for it then I know myself and many, many others would leave these servers and jump on the 'official' ones. I would much rather support a company that has a game that I like than not do so.
    Blaze_Rockerwingoodceh430
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    It's nice that you put in the comments about ability to solo for those who are into that, but I always felt that CoH was the sort of game best played without such calculations in mind. Also it seems to be missing the point to try to level up as fast as possible, yet many do that, too. I guess it shows you can enjoy a game the way you want, even if you're missing out on what it's best for.
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Why did CoH shut down in the first place?

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited May 2019
    dreamer05 said:
    Someone made NCsoft really angry at the headquarters of whatever company made CoH (tbh dont remember, I'm sure it be a quick google). Even though CoH was making positive income, AND wildstar did a ton worse and lasted a lot longer

And then NCsoft stole the rights to the game that the developers (not NCsoft) made and kept it, even though the company who made CoH tried to get the IP back from NCsoft, NCsoft refused. Anyone saying this is stealing should equally be mad at NCsoft for stealing the IP in the first place. Or its a huge hypocrisy and borderline trolling.

A publisher should not be able to steal the rights of the IP from the people who made the IP.
    Don't make up stories because you dislike NCSoft please.

Cryptic sold City of Heroes/City of Villains to NCSoft.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/cryptic-studios-announces-sale-of-city-of-heroes-city-of-villains

Really loving playing this game again.
    Blaze_Rocker[Deleted User]Kilranewingoodinfomatzgervaise1Scotceh430SamhaelHatefull

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    kitarad said:
    dreamer05 said:
    Someone made NCsoft really angry at the headquarters of whatever company made CoH (tbh dont remember, I'm sure it be a quick google). Even though CoH was making positive income, AND wildstar did a ton worse and lasted a lot longer

And then NCsoft stole the rights to the game that the developers (not NCsoft) made and kept it, even though the company who made CoH tried to get the IP back from NCsoft, NCsoft refused. Anyone saying this is stealing should equally be mad at NCsoft for stealing the IP in the first place. Or its a huge hypocrisy and borderline trolling.

A publisher should not be able to steal the rights of the IP from the people who made the IP.
    Don't make up stories because you dislike NCSoft please.

Cryptic sold City of Heroes/City of Villains to NCSoft.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/cryptic-studios-announces-sale-of-city-of-heroes-city-of-villains

Really loving playing this game again.
    Indeed!
    They had an article here a while back that talked about why it was actually shut down. Paragon Studios, the ones who took over CoX after Cryptic left, apparently had been taking the money meant for CoX development and using it for another game. There had been some other shenanigans as well so NC had enough and decided to shut down the studio and the game. Not confirmed information though.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Indeed!
    They had an article here a while back that talked about why it was actually shut down. Paragon Studios, the ones who took over CoX after Cryptic left, apparently had been taking the money meant for CoX development and using it for another game. There had been some other shenanigans as well so NC had enough and decided to shut down the studio and the game. Not confirmed information though.

That story has already been debunked from two different angles. Please stop posting it.
    gervaise1wingoodCaptFabulous

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.