Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why a Diablo MMO is not needed

GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
edited May 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
...because Blizzard have made current WoW "Diablolesque". The talents (or lack thereof), abilities learning/ progression, combat pace...everything reminds me of an ARPG game rather than RPG. 

Which in and of itself is not a bad thing; current WoW can play like an ARPG and Classic can become WoW 2.
Post edited by Galadourn on
Diablo MMO
  1. Do you want a Diablo MMO?20 votes
    1. Yes
      55.00%
    2. No
      40.00%
    3. It's complicated...
        5.00%
Gdemamiblamo2000

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    WoW has always borrowed from Diablo. Heck my little CE pet from 2004 was the little diablo dude. You could probably make tons of comparisons. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Well, there is such a thing as setting ...
    SBFordGorweConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    No. Even D3 has more skill customisation then current WoW and the combat and slaying of hundreds of mobs in a relatively short period is something that all ARPGs have and WoW is sorely lacking. I do get where you are coming from but although current WoW is removing itself more and more from a typical MMORPG it isn't moving any closer to the genre of ARPG. If that was the case I would actually resub.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    lahnmir said:
    No. Even D3 has more skill customisation then current WoW and the combat and slaying of hundreds of mobs in a relatively short period is something that all ARPGs have and WoW is sorely lacking. I do get where you are coming from but although current WoW is removing itself more and more from a typical MMORPG it isn't moving any closer to the genre of ARPG. If that was the case I would actually resub.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    If an MMO allowed players the same number of skills (even if we could only use, say, half a dozen) with the same number of "enhancements", I'd be thrilled. Talk about customization options for combat. I'd love it.

I also love the Diablo setting and the Burning Hells / High Heavens thing with the playerbase being in the middle as Nephalim. It would be an amazing setting.

I vote Diablo MMO! ;)
    [Deleted User]Gutlard

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I vote Diablo MMO but only if they make it like Classic WoW :smile:
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2019
    I wouldn't compare Diablo to Wow at all.
    First of all i don't like Arpg's or what they stand for it is lazy EASY to make gaming.However Diablo is actually more fun and interesting than Wow,i was extremely bored playing Wow like VERY few minutes would go by where i thought this is cool.
    Within Diablo i enjoyed the "settings"not technical but the visual/sounds/themed settings,the atmosphere,so it is  nice to get through each area ONCE then delete the game.
    One thing Blizzard makes a mistake on in ALL of their games,is they take the character out of the players hands.Everything is about sockets or gems or gear and not about the player.

If someone asked me would i like a Diablo MMO,i would say...why would i,what is it about Diablo that makes me want a mmo?
    I already have the setting i dreamed for since i was a young kid.in Atlas,Dragons,Cyclops,real creatures like Lions and Bears and sailing ships and building stuff.So now ask me if Blizzard would or could deliver ANY of that,not a chance in hell,they would make some superficial game with a cash shop and not deliver anything special or unique.

So obviously i grew up enjoying the movies like Sinbad,Jason and the Argonauts,land of giants,Journey to the center of the earth.I can see how younger people adhere more to the Gothic or doom and gloom type atmosphere or the  anime atmosphere but to me,these modern ideas don't make for good games,they make silly games,like seeing a character spinning around like a top killing everything in it's path....SILLY ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited May 2019
    I always believed themepark MMORPG would have been better off being on the Action Adventure end of RPG.  It's basically being refined into that anyways.
    Post edited by Vermillion_Raventhal on
    SBFordGdemami
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    My known record in PoE is like 1200 mobs in 5 minutes, i had a rage counter or something. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Galadourn said:
    ...because Blizzard have made current WoW "Diablolesque". The talents (or lack thereof), abilities learning/ progression, combat pace...everything reminds me of an ARPG game rather than RPG. 

Which in and of itself is not a bad thing; current WoW can play like an ARPG and Classic can become WoW 2.

[Deleted User]Galadourn
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    In this time and age, every type of MMO is needed. ( excluding the KS ones for .. obvious reasons! )
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    id be happy with anything not on a f@#$ing phone
    BobVa
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited May 2019
    I rather have a Diablo 4 with a difference lore and difference evils . No need for MMORPG

let old diablo end .
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It has never been about need. It's been about want.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Added a poll to the OP
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    A Diablo MMO? don't you guys have phones ?  :p
    GaladournAlBQuirkyAmathe
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited May 2019
    Phry said:
    You're cracking a joke, but most likely Immortal would be marketed as a MMO. I played Darkness Rises from Nexon on my phone/tablet and it does have a nice multiplayer/pvp aspect and it's marketed as an MMO ;) 

From the trailers, the Diablo didn't look much different. 

Played it on launch though, when it was somewhat fair. Few updates down the road and it went pay to win. A pity.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't want it. I've explained it many times before here. Once you make it persistent multiplayer, add group only content, have PvP, whatever.. you have to start balancing it too much. Loot progression becomes tiered, builds get changed all the time.. that kind of thing. Diablo 3 and PoE already suffer from this quite a bit but not completely. Marvel Heroes had this problem.

aRPGs in this style are supposed to be about finding that godly item.. making that character build that destroys everything with ease so you can find more godly items. An MMO will just make the loot boring.. you will never find a legendary while levelling that increases your damage by 300%.. never find that awesome build and, if you ever did, it won't last forever because it's 'not fair' that you can farm faster than another class.

MMO will take the IP in a direction I don't want it to go.
    AlBQuirky
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited May 2019
    Phry said:
    Booo , now blizzcon require smartphone to enter . They make sure you guys have phones :P .

AlBQuirky
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    This topic seemed more relate to discussing the simplistic of wow than actually discussing about a diablo type mmorpg.

But Lost ark is probably the diablo type mmorpg...
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Phry said:
    You're cracking a joke, but most likely Immortal would be marketed as a MMO. I played Darkness Rises from Nexon on my phone/tablet and it does have a nice multiplayer/pvp aspect and it's marketed as an MMO ;) 

From the trailers, the Diablo didn't look much different. 

Played it on launch though, when it was somewhat fair. Few updates down the road and it went pay to win. A pity.
    Nexon games always or almost always turn out to be pay 2 win.  I vow never to play a nexon game again.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    playing diablo on multiplayer was no teh MMO?

by the definition of some MMO diablo 2 and 3 was MMOs
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I like the darker setting, and the bosses are cool. Good vs. Evil is a never-ending battle, hopefully...  ;)

Watch out Diablo! We're coming down to hell to hunt you!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I would figure nobody needs a Diablo MMO because it wouldnt be as varied as WoW (for example no races, everybody is human), it wouldnt be different enough from WoW either, and Blizzard isnt doing much recently in the first place. Or at least they are certainly surprisingly inactive for a company that had such a huge success as WoW.