Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 2D MMORPG In 2019?

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Honestly, I just don't like 2D.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Cuppett5 said:
    Yes, play Albion Online. Great game and free to play~! 
    easier I play tree of savior then that pos
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    So what are you doing on this forum? ;)
    Answering the OP's question, which evidently you did not read.
    Dibdabs

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Cuppett5 said:
    Yes, play Albion Online. Great game and free to play~! 
    also 3d
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    So what are you doing on this forum? ;)
    Answering the OP's question, which evidently you did not read.
    Then there was a whooshing sound. 
    Amathe[Deleted User]Dibdabs
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Why not geez guys some ppl are into 8bit and 16bit games again now (including me lol)
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited May 2019
    Why not geez guys some ppl are into 8bit and 16bit games again now (including me lol)

No, I would not.

I will not speak for anyone else, but for me, I played those in the 90's and I didn't much like them then. I will stick with a modern design. 
    Dibdabs

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I wouldn't even consider it.
    Hatefull

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I think the real question is WHY...would a dev create a 2d game (other than cost) today and take out over 50% of your market capability?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    bentrim said:
    I think the real question is WHY...would a dev create a 2d game (other than cost) today and take out over 50% of your market capability?
    Because its a different kind of art style? Some even prefer it, I love good sprite work for instance.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Nepheth
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited May 2019
    bentrim said:
    Developers aren't just monkeys that churn out content. There is an aesthetic to the whole thing as well. And because of this they might want to also stretch their artistic wings.

Having said that, I'm sure some might say "3d is very costly so what can we do with what we have at hand?"

Heck, I've even toyed with making my own 2d game with one of those rpg maker kits. There are people who would play it and as long as development doesn't' cost a lot there is no reason why, if it's good, it can't make a profit.
    Amaranthar4507
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

Developers aren't just monkeys that churn out content. 

Hmmm.  Might be a good poll topic ....

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    I can play Darkest Dungeon so i can't see why i couldn't play an MMO made in similar fashion. Compelling enough gameplay is all you need.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Sovrath said:
    bentrim said:
    Developers aren't just monkeys that churn out content. There is an aesthetic to the whole thing as well. And because of this they might want to also stretch their artistic wings.

Having said that, I'm sure some might say "3d is very costly so what can we do with what we have at hand?"

Heck, I've even toyed with making my own 2d game with one of those rpg maker kits. There are people who would play it and as long as development doesn't' cost a lot there is no reason why, if it's good, it can't make a profit.
    I actually believe that high quality 2D sprite work and animating all of it is a LOT more expensive and time consuming then 3D modelling is, comparible to stop motion techniques versus computer rendering.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    lahnmir said:
    Sovrath said:
    bentrim said:

I actually believe that high quality 2D sprite work and animating all of it is a LOT more expensive and time consuming then 3D modelling is, comparible to stop motion techniques versus computer rendering.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    hmmm I can't speak for it being more costly but I do believe it has it's own challenges in order to make it believable/workable.

It's very much its own thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited May 2019
    Game play rules all for me, so yeah I'd def play an entertaining 2D MMORPG.

Or I could imagine a game like Landstalker (on Genesis) with updated sprites and iso-jumps/puzzles to figure out, and treasures to find in all kinds of cool places really opening up exploration.

Can a game like this not have fully voiced NPC's and stuff? If they're 'saving' on having 2D/Iso could they splurge on lore/story delivery?

I can still read, so not a deal breaker for me, but would be cool to have like a SWTOR voice acting in a 2D world...ha

Oh yeah, like this Mad World game, sweet.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sure.  Most of my favorite games are 2D -- Darkest Dungeon, Thea: The Gathering, etc.  I'd love a good 2D MMORPG, as long as the developers used the savings of 2D art over 3D to give far more options and gaming systems, and not just a means to make a cheaper game.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    F yes !

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I don't even look at them.  I didn't get a good graphic card and 32 gig of RAM in order to play 2d games.  :)
    Amathe
    I suppose, on a day when I was tremendously bored, I might still play a side scrolling hop and bop in 2019. But I would have to pass over a LOT of other choices to get there. Same for 2D mmos.  
    Dibdabs

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    4507 said:
    Assuming it had innovative and deep gameplay with a non-P2W business model, could you get over such a game having 2D graphics, either isometric or Gauntlet-style topdown? 

I would love a full-blown Diablo 2-style MMORPG. However, if it looks like Final Fantasy from the NES, I wouldn't be into it.

I WAS, however, interested in Smedley's Hero's Song game.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    No.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Buy a game that tries to sell me ancient 1980's tech,does a LOT less than it should because of it's 2D design,why would i buy it?
    It is like asking if i would pay more for something less,it is pretty much a no brainer.I mean you could argue ...well what if it was a really good well design game,well then i would say give me that same well designed game in a modern engine with modern tech.
    Dibdabs

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I would if it was fun. Games don't have to be 3D to look good.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Yes I would.