Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best travel abilities

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I realize there are folks who feel most any kind of travel besides walking or perhaps riding a horse is too much. 

But what I am wondering is, what travel ability have you enjoyed the most?

For me hands down it was super jump in CoH. I couldn't get enough of it. There were nights that all I did was super jump around while chatting with my Supergroup friends. No other game has come close.

I will give an honorable mention to the disposable hang glider thingies in WoW. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

gunklackerAlBQuirkyKyleranScot

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited May 2019
    I like flying mounts when there are also flying monsters.  Perfect World and ARK: survival evolved exemplify two really different ways to do this.  Perfect world's flying mounts are, IMO, too easy to control, but they had the innovative idea of wings-as-mounts and they're one of the only MMOs that has sky layers of different enemies above ground locations, allowing a location to be relevant to two different level ranges of players.  ARK on the other hand has rather difficult to control flying mounts, in particular their heads end to get in the way of seeing, but flying one feels more acrobatic and fun, in a way kind of similar to grand theft auto.  I've also heard that old WoW had a flying druid travel form, but I never had a chance to see what the controls felt like for that.

I'm also really fond of being able to do a forward roll, a strafing roll or slide, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey style climbing up cliffs and buildings.
    Scot
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited May 2019
    i agree super jump in CoH was the best, but i have to give a shout out to SWTOR riding my speeder bike on tatooine desert listing to Born to be wild on the headset, drinking a glass of old #7 on the rocks, with water chaser, that's old school mmorpg-ing 
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Black ops portals in EvE jumping onto players when they dont know where your coming from , jumping over 3/4 systems no highsec for us pirates..
    Of Course could take it to next level and Titan Bridging for the super long jumps :hushed:
    But still prefer Blops

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Pretty much the same thing for ALL of game design,give some sort of plausible realism,automated dungeon finders are NOT plausible realism but are very much immersion breakers,so give mew the OPPOSITE of that crap.

IDC if your idea for travel is really far stretched,if you can deliver the idea in a way that says hmmm possible,then i am good with it.
    Travel destinations are in the same boat,don't go littering my screen with some icon marker telling me where to go,quit being a dumbass developer ruining the immersion in games.
    bcbully

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of the Wushu has all type of double triple jumps and dash. They did there movement so well at times it felt like flying there was even water jumping. If you could see it you could touch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_aVHkwdO8&feature=share 
    F’n amazing
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Not an MMO, but I've recently started playing Mordhau, and as someone who actually rides horses in real life, their horseback system is the closest to reality I've seen in any game I've played so far, which has made it incredibly enjoyable to do.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2019
    i agree super jump in CoH was the best, but i have to give a shout out to SWTOR riding my speeder bike on tatooine desert listing to Born to be wild on the headset, drinking a glass of old #7 on the rocks, with water chaser, that's old school mmorpg-ing 
    SWTOR=old school? :|
    Scot
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    Do you have a one you liked ? or you just post to troll ?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2019
    The only thing I liked in DCUO was their flight, simply because you could come down like a real superhero and just smash into the ground (I think the other powers did it too but I never used anything other than flight in that game). It always made me feel like I had a big d!ck when I showed up to the scene even as a low level.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    super jump and run speed in CoH
    gunklacker

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Tiller said:
    Sure, Star Wars Galaxies
    gunklacker
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited May 2019
    Tiller said:
    Tiller said:
    Sure, Star Wars Galaxies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePe1oCL280

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbLqBZIDKY

there both SWEET.... and hot :smile:
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I liked Aion. Once you reached a certain level you could glide and even for nice distances once you got the hang of it, later you could fly in designated areas.  I liked flying mounts in WoW, it really opened the world up.  Mounts in GW2 open the world up also.  Having your own space yacht in SWG was cool.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Amathe said:
    But what I am wondering is, what travel ability have you enjoyed the most?
    An interesting approach, and often overlooked since for most it's enough if it's simply a faster run (mounts are usually just re-skinned faster runs).

Let's see, most enjoyable travel powers, I'd put CO on the top, especially the swings (grapple, etc.) which had a big role in why I switched from CoH - Spidey :smiley:
    Ice slide is nice, not as responsive as Frozone in the movies, still not a simple re-skinned flight since you slide in turns, etc.
    Tunneling is fun as well, more for themed characters though, and not as a main travel power.

Teleport in CoH (better than CO's teleport), really useful and also fun.

Mammoths in AoC, while it's just a re-skinned faster run technically, it's also mounted combat with a few attacks, and the option to trample over mobs which is hilarious.
    MendelScot
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I also enjoyed Super Jumping in CoH! I almost felt my tummy tumble a bit when traversing Paragon City from on high :)

Kind of odd, but I enjoyed the "monster rides" (gryphon, hippogriff, bat...) in WoW. Get on, sit back and pop open a beer, and just enjoy the scenery :)
    gunklacker

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    bookmarking/marking a location and instantly teleporting if desired.

lineage 1 blessed teleport scroll / ultima online rune marking
    AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I loved the variety of travel modes in Champions Online.  Swinging, jumping, tunneling all were interesting and more than just fast travel.

But CO really stood out with its implementation of flying.  From a slow, graceful, jet-pack descent down a tall, tall building while Corporal Mendel lobbed grenades at gangs on nearby rooftops, to low level, nap-of-the-earth high speed hero-as-missle approach and attack.  CO's flying powers were varied enough to accommodate any ideas of flight in the super hero genre.

It almost makes me want to reinstall it and put up with a horrible company again.  *Almost*.

ConstantineMerusPo_gg

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    The longer the travel the better, IMO. Distant places should feel distant.

Riding a horse in real life is extremely fun. It's fast! Crazy fast! Game horses should be just as fun. However, most in-game mounts usually offer a mere 20% boost over basic character speed.

If the worlds were big enough, true-speed horses would be a blast.
    AlBQuirky
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Flying in Aion and sailing in ArcheAge come to mind.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    In an MMO the wormholes in EVE were the most interesting and got me the most content.   Would pack up a T3 cruiser with multiple fits and camp out for a while in an empty 0.0 or WH space.   Then the ability to disappear afterwards when you wanted to cash out or it got too hot was pretty awesome. 

In non-mmo probably MirrorsEdge.  The combination of movement abilities given to your character were pretty cool.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Being able to run up/down buildings in DCUO was a lot of fun. I've always been a fan of super speed so any game that has it I could just do that around the map and be happy. 
    gunklacker
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Super jump in COH and similar on my raptor mount in EQ2, both were the most fun.

For practicality, Lineage 1 had their Blessed Teleport scroll system which I loved. 

Players could set up to 30 bookmarks in Aden (after first visiting them on foot or by boat) and use a "B-TEL" to port directly to one.

I earned a big part of my income selling B-TEL scrolls which I farmed endlessly in the ant caves on my bugbear mage.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Mendel said:
    But CO really stood out with its implementation of flying. ...  CO's flying powers were varied enough to accommodate any ideas of flight in the super hero genre.
    Yep, I like jet boots too (beyond those I've mentioned above), kinda like Iron Man you stabilize yourself with the hands, and they animated the stopping as you swing your legs forward a bit then to vertical.

Since others added porting/fast travel into the mix, I'd add the guardian's acorn whistle from LotRO. (overlapping use of the word, but the teleport in CoH and CO is not a "porting" ability but a "mount" so to speak...)
    In LotRO guards can make whistles and can give them to other players. When the other player is in need of a tank (since we all know tanks are in high demand in MMOs :smiley: ) s/he can use the whistle and the guardian will port to their location.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Dauzqul said:
    The longer the travel the better, IMO. Distant places should feel distant.

Riding a horse in real life is extremely fun. It's fast! Crazy fast! Game horses should be just as fun. However, most in-game mounts usually offer a mere 20% boost over basic character speed.

If the worlds were big enough, true-speed horses would be a blast.
    Sounds like you're looking for Black Desert. Lots of land and high tier horses with the right abilities can move incredibly fast.