Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Next Darkfall: Rise of Agon Update to Include Full Freemium Edition & More - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe Next Darkfall: Rise of Agon Update to Include Full Freemium Edition & More - MMORPG.com

The next Darkfall: Rise of Agon update is going to include the full release of the "freemium" edition of the game with some changes due to player feedback. For instance, the reduction in skill progression speed has been eliminated for free players and much more. In addition, players will find that the in-game browser has been overhauled, the dye system will be included and several tweaks have been made to armor and combat.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited May 2019
    Cool to see they're still updating it. I guess it's doing okay.

I keep holding off on diving too much into either of the DF re-releases because I don't want to get super invested in it just to have it shut down. Happened to me with DF and its relaunch.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I'm not a DF player. However, I have seen it several times here on the news feed over the last 10 years.

This game confuses me. Have they relaunched this thing multiple times or are these expansions and updates? So lost.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    The game license has been sold to two differrent companies; one is developing Darkfall: Rise of Agon (more hardcore and true to the original DF game) and the other is developing Darkfall: New Dawn (implementing changes that lead the game to the direction most players were asking for back in the day).
    ScotPhry
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited May 2019
    This is for the Rise of Agon version (also known as the North American version).

Unfortunately, the New Dawn spin-off version of this franchise is effectively dead, the developers have gone full lights-out and radar silent for what is rapidly approaching a complete year. It is a mystery how the New Dawn server is even still operating.

So if you're looking to scratch your Darkfall classic nostalgia itch, try Rise of Agon when that next update hits, even if you're an EU player.

Alternatively you can always wait for someone to reboot the Unholy Wars version of the game, which will eventually happen regardless (the tech the game is based on is good to own for the right price, since you cannot really buy a full-fledged MMORPG engine elsewhere).

As a final alternative, Amazon's New World is strikingly similar to Darkfall games (or so I am told!).
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited May 2019
    Darkfall Online ran for about 4 years and then Aventurine shut it down in order to launch Darkfall: Unholy Wars. Unholy Wars was such a drastic change from Darkfall Online that a good portion of the fans didn't move over and insisted instead that AV (Aventurine) bring back DFO.

Eventually some fans of the original DFO contacted AV to get a license so they could launch the original for the fans. Unbeknownst to them there were two groups interested and AV being the d-bags they are leased it to both companies.

Fast forward a bit and Darkfall: Rise of Agon has actually removed the "Darkfall" moniker and is simply, Rise of Agon (attn: @SBFord) , they are updating pretty regularly and communicate with the public fairly often.

Darkfall: New Dawn on the other hand is for all intents and purposes a dead game. The developers are in financial trouble, the French government is after some hefty back taxes and they're not making any money so no way to pay it. They stopped updates and communication with the public completely. There is no future with ND.

I keep holding off on diving too much into either of the DF re-releases because I don't want to get super invested in it just to have it shut down. Happened to me with DF and its relaunch.
    Rise of Agon just passed 2 years and it's getting healthier. it's easier to get into than the original DFO and just as fun, if not more. If you're interested then go play it. It doesn't cost anything to get started.
    Post edited by ChildoftheShadows on
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Darkfall Online ran for about 4 years and then Aventurine shut it down in order to launch Darkfall: Unholy Wars. Unholy Wars was such a drastic change from Darkfall Online that a good portion of the fans didn't move over and insisted instead that AV (Aventurine) bring back DFO.

Eventually some fans of the original DFO contacted AV to get a license so they could launch the original for the fans. Unbeknownst to them there were two groups interested and AV being the d-bags they are leased it to both companies.

Fast forward a bit and Darkfall: Rise of Agon has actually removed the "Darkfall" moniker and is simply, Rise of Agon (attn: @SBFord) , they are updating pretty regularly and communicate with the public fairly often.

Darkfall: New Dawn on the other hand is for all intents and purposes a dead game. The developers are in financial trouble, the French government is after some hefty back taxes and they're not making any money so no way to pay it. They stopped updates and communication with the public completely. There is no future the ND.

I keep holding off on diving too much into either of the DF re-releases because I don't want to get super invested in it just to have it shut down.

Happened to me with DF and its relaunch.

Rise of Agon just passed 2 years and it's getting healthier. it's easier to get into than the original DFO and just as fun, if not more. If you're interested then go play it. It doesn't cost anything to get started.

Well summarized. I have tried all of the versions (including unholy war) and rise of agon has done a pretty good job so far.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

This statement is true. I put some money into ROA when I played for a month or so, and had a blast. I just couldn't put the time into it due to real life getting in the way. There is a small but very active community, with more people popping up here and there. The grind is nowhere near what it used to be, you can get PVP ready in a week if you focus on it. It's a fun game, I'll likely be jumping back in when I get some free time (still have a month premium token I haven't used). 
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I'm a simple man. I see a post with Darkfall in it and I click.

I'm very happy that RoA is doing ok. I hope they get to keep it running for a good while and provide a lot of content to bring different kinds of players to the game. It's the best MMORPG experience I've had, hands down. It just needs more stuff. More sand in the box. Not just target PvPers.
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    This game is an example of what happens when you give players exactly what they claim to want.
    RueTheWhirlxpiher
     I've been here a while...
  • dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

I keep holding off on diving too much into either of the DF re-releases because I don't want to get super invested in it just to have it shut down.

Happened to me with DF and its relaunch.

YEA..remeber soe's sonys Vanguard saga of heroes...i loved that game got so invested then they shut the dam servers down...with no warning. so mad.
    gammer 4 life
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Full loot PvP. Work real hard to get stuff, die lose it all. Work real hard to get stuff die lose it all. There are only a small number of people that can take this type of abuse, but apparently enough to keep the lights on.
    GdemamiRueTheWhirl
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2019
    I tried it some months ago and had a fun time. Interest shifted to other things in life, but I heartily recommend to anyone who likes PvP and PvE in an open world with partial to full loot. There're boats and houses. The houses are premade and placed into key places, so you don't actually make them from the ground up, I believe. It's still veyr interesting. There're oveland bosses and dungeons. It has actual physics too, so like if you jump into a creek you'll follow the current. If you get hit by some violent spells you'll be thrown asunder. As a ranged caster or archer you have to actually aim. Monsters will run if they're alone or hurt, and will try to help each other. They'll also try to use cover, or otherwise use ranged if they have it and not stand in one place. The inventory system is clunky, and there're what seems like thousands of useless vendor items. Therer'e a fair number of quests, but it's not WoW, so don't expect only to do that. The primary focus is PvP so expect it. Expect to die in PvE too because it's not always drool worthy. There's regional warfare, but it's actively being worked on and altered, depending on feedback. This is not Darkfall, but it has some similarities because it's based on the same engine and some of hte same spirit. The graphics are about circa 2009, but those're also being worked on.

All in all, it's hard to find all the things ROA has in a modern AAA, so as I see it, you have to be willing to make those compromises.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited May 2019

Galadourn said:

The game license has been sold to two differrent companies; one is developing Darkfall: Rise of Agon (more hardcore and true to the original DF game) and the other is developing Darkfall: New Dawn (implementing changes that lead the game to the direction most players were asking for back in the day).

Here we go again, you don't make a finished polished MMO, so you sell it on to someone who tries to make a fast buck. It gives the MMO genre a bad name. I hope fans get something good out of this but I doubt they will.
    Gdemami
    Scot said:

Galadourn said:

Here we go again, you don't make a finished polished MMO, so you sell it on to someone who tries to make a fast buck. It gives the MMO genre a bad name. I hope fans get something good out of this but I doubt they will.
    We do. We get experiences that cannot be had in any other MMORPG. First/third person aimed combat, open world pvp, seamless, zero instances, full loot. 

If you think these developers took these on to get a fast buck then your more ignorant than I thought. They are fans keeping the unique experience alive. It's probably best you just don't comment on things you know absolutely nothing about.
    Scot said:

Galadourn said:

We do. We get experiences that cannot be had in any other MMORPG. First/third person aimed combat, open world pvp, seamless, zero instances, full loot. 

If you think these developers took these on to get a fast buck then your more ignorant than I thought. They are fans keeping the unique experience alive. It's probably best you just don't comment on things you know absolutely nothing about.
    Thanks of that vote of confidence, what happened with Bless is well documented on this site, you don't even have to leave it to realise they launched a buggy mess. I question the characterisation of the companies involved as fans, perhaps you can back that up? Finally telling people not to comment is rather self defeating, as we come on hear to discuss.
    Gdemami
    edited May 2019
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Galadourn said:

Thanks of that vote of confidence, what happened with Bless is well documented on this site, you don't even have to leave it to realise they launched a buggy mess. I question the characterisation of the companies involved as fans, perhaps you can back that up? Finally telling people not to comment is rather self defeating, as we come on hear to discuss.
    Making assumptions and spouting bs is not 'having a discussion'. You don't know anything about the games or the companies involved, therefore rather than spewing your bs try actually having a discussion an finding out what's up.

I don't know wtf Bless has anything  at all to do with Rise of Agon or any of the Darkfall games lol. Just decided to throw some strange shit in for no reason?

The companies were created after Unholy Wars was realized to be a failed attempt at DF 2.0 from previous players of DFO. Ub3r Games (New Dawn) is two people and just a joke. Rise of Agon is a group of people that spent 2 years in their spare time getting the game and server setup, remove some bugs and make some convenience changes. After things went live they were able to start paying 2 devs full time and the rest of the team is still working in their spare time for free to help make sure the game continues. Check their website if you're actually interested.

one of the devs posted here from time to time, names kilrain on the ROA forums and here too.
    Post edited by ChildoftheShadows on
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Scot said:

Galadourn said:

You are correct, no one picked up this license to make a fast buck, there is no money to be made in full loot PvP of this variety, its a rough ride.   But there are people that enjoy the game so its nice they have a place to get together.  I REALLY like this game and I played if for most of a year in the original version and played again almost as long in Unholy Wars.  
    Scot
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Galadourn said:

Making assumptions and spouting bs is not 'having a discussion'. You don't know anything about the games or the companies involved, therefore rather than spewing your bs try actually having a discussion an finding out what's up.

I don't know wtf Bless has anything  at all to do with Rise of Agon or any of the Darkfall games lol. Just decided to throw some strange shit in for no reason?

The companies were created after Unholy Wars was realized to be a failed attempt at DF 2.0 from previous players of DFO. Ub3r Games (New Dawn) is two people and just a joke. Rise of Agon is a group of people that spent 2 years in their spare time getting the game and server setup, remove some bugs and make some convenience changes. After things went live they were able to start paying 2 devs full time and the rest of the team is still working in their spare time for free to help make sure the game continues. Check their website if you're actually interested.

one of the devs posted here from time to time, names kilrain on the ROA forums and here too.
    There is a direct correction between all of these MMOs which never launched, or launched and failed. That's why Bless is a good example, I am not sure any of these re-start ups has done well.

The information you provided on some of the other games you mention is interesting, I did not realise any fans of other games were involved. But then apart from RoA none of the games you mentioned has pinged my radar.

Lets leave it there, you do have issues with anyone who posts anything you have problems with accepting. Less the child of your namesake and more maturity would help.
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Galadourn said:

There is a direct correction between all of these MMOs which never launched, or launched and failed. That's why Bless is a good example, I am not sure any of these re-start ups has done well.

The information you provided on some of the other games you mention is interesting, I did not realise any fans of other games were involved. But then apart from RoA none of the games you mentioned has pinged my radar.

Lets leave it there, you do have issues with anyone who posts anything you have problems with accepting. Less the child of your namesake and more maturity would help.
    I only have issues with people claiming irrelevant opinions as fact. Doesn't matter what the subject is.