Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favourite Minor Feature/Mechanic In A Game

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
Not major systems like combat or raiding or crafting. What's your favourite minor part of a game? Something that didn't greatly add to the game but made an impression on you nonetheless. 

For example, when I first played WoW and drank a lot of alcohol at the in-game Oktoberfest event, the screen went blurry and started to sway - I really appreciated that.
Steelhelm[Deleted User]

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    One of mine is the Mobs in UO looting your corpse and running off with it , then recovering your corpse and hunting down the mob that has your stuff ... before someone else finds it
    SovrathVelifax[Deleted User]iixviiiix4507SteelhelmScot
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Regen management. Food, spells, potions, doesn't matter I just like to experience regen rates ebb with long term management.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited May 2019
    Wearable trophies in Warhammer Online.

Post edited by Caffynated on
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited May 2019
    In Tabula Rasa mobs didn’t just spawn. They hatched, flew in with space ships etc. That was an amazing detail.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]4507mmolougunklackerScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Going all the way back to very old EQ:
    - Drunk (like your WoW example) even to the point of going blind. You not only swayed, but your perception goes way out of whack. In Kelethin, players used to dare newbies to drink a lot and then wander the platforms. Many a dead body littered the forest floor underneath Kelethin :lol:

- Language. You find other players wanting to learn new languages and sit and chat. Slowly, what they said started to make sense as you picked up the language.

- Factions. Helping one side was detrimental to other sides.
    4507[Deleted User]Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

@Jean-Luc_Picar, I'm torn between "LOL" and "Awesome"! Great comic :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Boobies . . . Conan exiles.

In ryzom predatory mobs killed prey mobs that wandered into their area.

4507AmatheSovrathH0urg1assScot
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    This might be a major feature but here it is anyhow 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Visible breath in the cold - WoW
    Footsteps in the snow - WoW
    AlBQuirky4507[Deleted User]Gorwe

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Also weight in original EQ. Getting stuck to the ground like a lawn dart because you have too much weight to carry. 
    AlBQuirky4507[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    EQ1 had all sorts of minor systems -- begging, pick pocketing, lock picking.  These were mostly class specific (rogues, bards).  These were never really incorporated into the environment well.  Doors, for instance, were in precious few dungeons (Befallen), which made navigation pretty much horrible.  Later games discarded these systems entirely.

Also, EQ1 later introduced a variety of dungeoneering skills such as open chests, trap detection and trap disarming (Lost Dungeons of Norath expansion).  These skills were better implemented, with all classes being able to use these (both skill and spell versions were available), but the idea pretty much ended with the LDoN expansion.  Could have been interesting, and useful, but the developers just didn't bother to follow through in subsequent expansions.  Good system, okay implementation, but abandoned.

AlBQuirky4507Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Amathe said:
    Also weight in original EQ. Getting stuck to the ground like a lawn dart because you have too much weight to carry. 
    Annoying, but good :)
    Amathe[Deleted User]

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I really liked the little animations in Planetside 1 of your character getting in and out of vehicles.  

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

AlBQuirky said:
    Annoying, but good :)

You just summed up the entire game.
    4507AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited May 2019
    A very minor mechanic I love that's noticeable in Bethesda games is the standing on steps animation.

In ESO it's called Foot Inverse Kinetics.

4507Gorwe

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Boobies . . . Conan exiles.

In ryzom predatory mobs killed prey mobs that wandered into their area.

A sort of ECO system?I yearn for eco systems in games,i have in Atlas and i love it.Weather effects,carnivores attacking herbivores,makes the world seem real,very immersive.

FFXi for me had way too many,i can name a few and of course unique to FFXI alone,Renkai system,language translator,sub class system,many more great ideas,maybe  the best of all Besieged,the single handed best event idea ever in a mmorpg.

That carnival in Wow was pretty cool idea,you enter in gives you a real cool feeling like your really there at a carnival.

The first time i ever say the progression mob system was in EQ2.Kill the low mobs and the next tier spawns,kill those and a higher tier,so on until you got the Boss tier.

Runes/sockets in Runes of Magic were really cool but sadly a huge cash shop design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Amathe said:
    It was like "well Ive destroyed all my copper, silver, and gold.....Still too heavy....No! Not my plat! Never!
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited May 2019
    Minor:

Well, there are a lot of minor things that make a game or break it.

For me, MMO's are mainly a visual game, so a lot of the minor things are visual or of a graphic nature.

In Trove, I loved the being able to build anything, the reflections of various blocks and how you could have several "white" blocks and each with its own sheen, was a really amazing to be honest, I really liked Water, Chocolate and Lava physics. 

I liked Troves ability to stack jumps as well, to the point that your character could dang near fly without needing a dragon.

Altho.. Dragons were cool too.

In contrast to that.. BDO's ass physics were a really nice touch.
    4507katzklaw
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Ungood said:

In contrast to that.. BDO's ass physics were a really nice touch.
    Maybe I'm playing the wrong class, or wearing the wrong outfit, but I've never noticed ass physics in BDO. 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I think it was when you gem up gears in shaiya early version , your name show off on it

IDK if there are other game have this kind of mechanic .
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Amathe said:
    It was like "well Ive destroyed all my copper, silver, and gold.....Still too heavy....No! Not my plat! Never!
    I will crawl West Karana,
    and I will Crawl East Karana Too.
    Just to be the man that banked his Plat
    and some new weapon Too! 
    katzklaw[Deleted User]Caffynated
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Is housing considered minor? Lotro housing is nice being able to show off trophies and deck it out. I'm sure ESO housing is nice too. SWTOR bases are nice with all the stuff you can unlock and decorate with also.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    One of my was LOTRO where you could make up a band and play real music was pretty cool.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]ScotimmodiumYanocchi
    One of my was LOTRO where you could make up a band and play real music was pretty cool.
    There are some cool music features in GW2 also.
    gunklacker

Also GW2's mini games;

Southsun Survival (Hunger Games) and
    Lunatic Inquisition (at Halloween)