Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need a miracle to happen, it's been too long.

13»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Part of the reason EQ meant so much to me was its design features. But part of it was that it was my first mmorpg and I was fully immersed. 

They can make another game with the same or similar design features, which would be great. I'm following a couple like that now. But first time immersion isn't ever going to return. I've played way too many games now for that to be possible.

And no, no "big company" stole that from me. It's just life. Things change. People change. Games too. There's no evil conspiracy. 

But something else cool could still come along. For example, after EQ, City of Heroes was a much, much different gaming experience. But I loved CoH anyway. A person needs to be open to more than one game or type of game. Otherwise you play one thing and then spend the rest of your life bitchin. 
    Mendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2019
    I must admit I find these types of threads difficult to understand.  I've played SWG and WoW when in beta and when they launched and a few more of the popular original MMO's.  They were good in some ways but also bad in some ways just like today's MMO's.  WoW and SWG forums had all kinds of drama going on in them and complaints about game play, balance issues, gold sellers, bots, grouping, pvp, pve,  and other players just like today.  I really don't think all that much has changed.  

People complained about games back then pretty much like they complain about them now.  The issues they complained about back then other players didn't have a problem with and even liked just like today.

SWG's forums were archived the last time I checked and would be pretty easy to talk about the complaints from back then about the game pre and post cu.

I can understand complaining about things in a game that aren't compatible with your playstyle but implying mmo's were in a golden age back then is something different.
    I mostly agree with you here, but I think older AAA MMORPGs were more niche than they're today, mostly owing to the smaller audience and the more unpredictable nature of creating MMO's in those days. Back in those days, they weren't niche, but viewed through a modern lens, they definitely would be. This also happened before the many subgenres were defined, like survival and sandbox and indie, so games typically were hybrids by todays standards.

So what's happened is MMO's got much bigger, from thousands to millions of players--WoW being a great example. This resulted in the more niche features--of past MMO's--being axed, and new ones being added where needed. The people who market these games got better at targeting certain audiences. This led to enormous companies and many different MMO's.

Something else that happened is the emergence of social sandbox games like farmville. Farmville had many more millions of plaeyrs than WoW. This is a lucrative target for business people.

And gaming is becoming more portable and VR-based. A single game is on multiple platforms. This is changing it in various ways.

Oh and one more thing. Voice-chat is a lot more popular now, in fact, it's required in many MMO's to be a member of the guilds. This led to more action-oriented mechanics because it freed up the hands--no longer needed for communication--to be used for other things. This is why autoattack was common in MMORPGs like Daoc or Everquest.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Project Gorgon
    Phry
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Why did i buy a 2080 ti card and a 4k screen when most games are dead
    Hatefull

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Because you have no other hobbies than video games...
    Hyperpsycrow
  • Expl0rerExpl0rer Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Here's a different viewpoint.  If we really cared about complex MMOs, we would create them ourselves in virtual environments like Second Life, where an admirable group of fans of Game of Thrones have created their own RP regions.  Or, there would have been more complaints about The Foundry being removed from Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, which allowed players to create their own missions and environments.  Real heroes are not mere consumers, but creators!
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    btdt said:
    Because you have no other hobbies than video games...

You know me ? :p

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Expl0rer said:
    Here's a different viewpoint.  If we really cared about complex MMOs, we would create them ourselves in virtual environments like Second Life, where an admirable group of fans of Game of Thrones have created their own RP regions.  Or, there would have been more complaints about The Foundry being removed from Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, which allowed players to create their own missions and environments.  Real heroes are not mere consumers, but creators!
    This is exactly why it's been too long..... Last 10 years the game plays for you, NO CHOICE. 

Follow the script developers tell you to from 1-60 !
    And you don't need any help in doing so.

I don't understand how everyone can argue this !
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Expl0rer said:
    This is exactly why it's been too long..... Last 10 years the game plays for you, NO CHOICE. 

PvE sucks dude. Pantheon will be no different man... sorry.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    Expl0rer said:

PvP sucks man. Pantheon will not be scripted. 
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    bcbully said:
    Expl0rer said:

Everything you do in the game is scripted... The way you level, the story, the quests. While you have a lot of "freedoms" to do what you want, at the end of the day, you are playing the game the way the game designers want you too. The boss fights will be scripted. The quest givers will be scripted. The way that toons react to environments will be scripted. Also, PvP sucks is a blanket statement. I don't believe that PvP sucks at all, depending on the game. Pantheon has been selling itself as a PvE type game, in the same vein as Everquest. So yes, in this game, I would agree that PvP has the POTENTIAL to suck if they don't get the mechanics of that particular area right. You are blind to the facts if you think that this game is not going to be scripted. 
    bcbully said:
    Expl0rer said:

Everything you do in the game is scripted... The way you level, the story, the quests. While you have a lot of "freedoms" to do what you want, at the end of the day, you are playing the game the way the game designers want you too. The boss fights will be scripted. The quest givers will be scripted. The way that toons react to environments will be scripted. Also, PvP sucks is a blanket statement. I don't believe that PvP sucks at all, depending on the game. Pantheon has been selling itself as a PvE type game, in the same vein as Everquest. So yes, in this game, I would agree that PvP has the POTENTIAL to suck if they don't get the mechanics of that particular area right. You are blind to the facts if you think that this game is not going to be scripted. 
    The game would have to be large, if choices are to be in the mix. 

example:
    If at level 10 you have many different paths to take then good....However, not much is known at this point.  Were at the mercy of developers for information.
    Gdemami