Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ROCCAT KOVA AIMO Gaming Mouse Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageROCCAT KOVA AIMO Gaming Mouse Review - MMORPG.com

Over the years, we’ve reviewed quite a few pieces of gear from German peripheral maker, ROCCAT. It’s been quite a while since we’ve looked at one of their mice, so it’s about time we fixed that. In today’s review, we’re looking closely at the KOVA AIMO, a 12 button ambidextrous mouse that quickly doubles to 23 programmable buttons. Should this be your next MMO mouse? Let’s take a closer look!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SiniestrohSiniestroh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Con # 3: Lack of support from the company when u get a defective product.
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    edited May 2019
    Great mouse, been using this one for awhile now. I am a claw grip type so it is perfect. The form really fits nicely and more importantly, the use of the EASYSHIFT button is awesome. I don't think I can go back to any other mouse because of it.

Holding down the custom modifier key on the mouse gives me far more control than I though possible. I mainly use it for volume control and muting, but all the other functionality it brings is amazing. Every mouse should have this feature.

Get this mouse if you are fine with claw grip or some hybrid of that and palm.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Ummm how are there 23 keys functions? At most I count 9 not including Left and Right clicks, which would make for 18, but even that doesn't work out because one of the key would be the easyshift button.

In anycase, alot of MMOs run hotbars with 12 keys total per hotbar. 1-0 and the - and = keys. So, for two full hotbars really would need 24 key functions.

I still think nothing surpasses the Logitech G600 with its Easy Shift aka G-Shift function. I don't see why more companies don't completely rip off this design. Some have like the Corsair Scimitar or Razer Naga but without the extra Shift key function which means they are still missing that one critical thing that sets the G600 far above any of the rest.
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Rukushin said:

Ummm how are there 23 keys functions? At most I count 9 not including Left and Right clicks, which would make for 18, but even that doesn't work out because one of the key would be the easyshift button.

In anycase, alot of MMOs run hotbars with 12 keys total per hotbar. 1-0 and the - and = keys. So, for two full hotbars really would need 24 key functions.

I still think nothing surpasses the Logitech G600 with its Easy Shift aka G-Shift function. I don't see why more companies don't completely rip off this design. Some have like the Corsair Scimitar or Razer Naga but without the extra Shift key function which means they are still missing that one critical thing that sets the G600 far above any of the rest.

As someone who swapped a G600 for one of these, I can say it was worth the switch for me at least.

Regarding the number of hotkeys, there are 12 programmable input areas, this includes scrolling up and down. The Roccat software lets you assign one of the buttons to become a sort of separate shift key which is independent of your operating system's shift key. This lets you hold down that "shift" button, and add another layer of hotkeys to every button your mouse.

By default (for example), holding down this shift button (where the thumb rests), has the mouse wheel scrolling up and down tied to volume control, with middle mouse click being mute. Thus full control over audio with just a mouse. If I don't hold down the mouse shift key, the scroll and middle mouse will behave as it normally would on a PC (scrolling and panning).

It ends up working really well on a usability level.

As far as the MMORPG hotbar is concerned, the G600 is probably going make more sense in so much that the button layout matches the numbers keys used for a hotbar.

The G600 is solid, but if you are doing more than just mmorpgs and prefer a claw grip mouse, then the g600 starts to lose a bit of appeal in comparison to the Kova. As a claw gripper, the ergonomics of the Kova worked out a lot better, as the G600 had me doing a palm grip most of the time.