Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mr Jellinghaus's unhappy prophecy from 1997

13»

Comments

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    blamo2000 said:
    I like the themes in this thread - from the original, where people that don't want to roleplay are awful and ruining games, to a couple posts down where people who are not interested in lore are the jerks ruining games, etc.  

So, it seems everyone agrees that their opinions are the right opinions and the way they play is the one and only correct way to play and everyone who doesn't is a jerk ruining games.  
    Well, none of that really matters, does it?
    The whole point is that if the game allows players to act the part of jerks, there are always those who will.
    On top of that, you'll also have those who will look for kinks in the code to act like jerks.

And by "jerks", I'm not talking about opinion here. I mean "jerks" in the sense of players who delight in the ruin of other players' game. Internet sociopaths, who may not be sociopaths in real life because, you know, there's consequences.
    So, just to get this straight - everyone who doesn't role play is a jerk?  And everyone who doesn't care about lore is a jerk?  And games should be coded to somehow force people to roleplay and care about lore somehow?

What about pvp games?  The guy posted in the OP specifically stated PKers are jerks.  Do you agree.  Should games that allow pvp remove the code to disallow people from being jerks, which would mean no pvp at all ever?

My post is still correct because you have an opinion of what a jerk is.  I have mine.  Everyone has their own.  Any game that codes out your definition of jerk may be exponentially increasing the number of players that fit my definition of a jerk.  

And specifically in regards to roleplaying, I sometimes play on a NWN or NWN2 PSWs where roleplaying is often enforced - and a significant number of people purposefully roleplay what most would consider jerks.  Sometimes pure evil jerks.  In fact, if you created some characters and didn't play them as jerks everyone would think you were a jerk for not roleplaying.  
    AlBQuirkyCaffynated
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    ikcin said:
    The guy is so solo, that he admits he wants to play alone, and actually do not give a shit for the other players. As they are jerks, and they are jerks because they prevent his solo playing in a MMO game. The contradiction is so obvious. Some may call it PvE, I call it singleplayer. 
    22 years ago that may have been true,  no telling these days.

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited May 2019
    I'm so sick of the PVP people are toxic, sadists who hate life and everyone because they want competition against each other.... it's really not much different than actual sports, where there is plenty of trash talk toward each other, and a handshake at the end of the game, with very few "beefs" lasting past the game.

Salty immature people continue to complain about this stuff on forums where the games they love aren't exactly how they want them, no tolerance.. much like some political parties :D 

Unfortunately, that reputation comes from the more infamous PvP players who do NOT desire "fair competition", but rather will not attack unless they have the definitive advantage. These are the PvP players I encounter more often than actual competitive PvP players.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR