Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic Interview: Release Date & Preserving a Legend - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWoW Classic Interview: Release Date & Preserving a Legend - MMORPG.com

On a partly cloudy day in Irvine, California last week, I had the chance to learn a lot more about World of Warcraft Classic, the game that is on many of our community members’ lips these days. Classic hearkens back to an earlier time in MMOs, a time in the genre’s earliest days where the play was the tool to building communities and relationships with others around the world. With the release of WoW Classic this summer, Blizzard is looking to bring back, not only memories of the way the game played in its infancy, but also to bring back the sense of community.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    August 27th, folks! Who's stoked!? :)
    [Deleted User]mcrippinsJeffSpicoliKyleranMadFrenchie[Deleted User]mike32927ValdheimAgenionelesslightand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited May 2019
    SBFord said:
    August 27th, folks! Who's stoked!? :)
    Me ;)

The grown up kids and I are all looking forward to it. They're teasing about having to carry me ;)
    ScotJeffSpicoliMadFrenchie

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    love the emphasis on building a strong server community.
    SBFordTacticalZombeh
    Arterius said:
    Cant wait to try classic WoW for the first time
    They're going to start beta testing tomorrow and will have a number of stress tests through July. You'll definitely want to opt in through your BattleNet account for a chance to be included. :)

https://account.blizzard.com/
    Kyleran[Deleted User]MadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Well, the saying always was, if there was going to be a WoW killer, it would be WoW, or something along those lines!
    ScotXarkoKyleranGaladournWhiskeydust
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2019
    The fact that they did this is amazing for one, for two it really makes SOE look like the d-bags they were back in the day when they said they couldn't bring back classic servers of SWG; yet many have proven classic versions of games can be brought back, by novices and professionals alike.
    GaladournLeiros
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Our Saga of Lucimia gaming community is already 50 strong and growing :) We can't wait. 

FOR THE ALLIANCE! :) 
    ScotAmatheKyleranPuReDusTZeneren
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    Renfail said:
    Our Saga of Lucimia gaming community is already 50 strong and growing :) We can't wait. 

FOR THE ALLIANCE! :) 
    I was fully with you til your last sentence. :|

FOR THE HORDE!
    RenfailGaladournPhryMrMelGibsonTintagilZenerenTyemexTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I like how the responses were worded. They want to preserve it. That's all I needed to hear. Also the fact that they are open for expanding it if players want, or having progression servers. Sounds good to me. Can't wait.
    SBFordGaladournLeirosCazriel
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'll check it out, but will have to patiently wait for WoTLK servers!

That's when I jumped into the game.

Gut Out!
    Panther2103

What, me worry?

Gutlard said:
    I'll check it out, but will have to patiently wait for WoTLK servers!

That's when I jumped into the game.

Gut Out!
    I started in Vanilla, but WOTLK would be the expansion I have the most interest in playing from again. By far my favorite expansion. 
    GutlardMrMelGibson
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Who knows....

WoW Classic could end up being WoW 2
    XarkobcbullyGdemamiCazrielTacticalZombeh

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Stizzled said:

There's no way this won't be at least a moderate success. I'd say moving forward through the expansions is a given at this point.

Cannot wait to jump back into Vanilla and beyond!

The closer they would get to current, the more amendable I'd hope they would be to fix their initial mistakes the 2nd go-round. We would all be nice enough to act like the first time never happened if they did, I'm sure!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Can't wait. Also who knows... if it's a success they might do an expansion LOL. Can you imagine getting an expansion for Vanilla(a new one not, TBC etc...), now that would be awesome :)
  • swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Need to have active sub or game time for beta, what a bummer.
    They could do a totally different timeline like the new Star Trek movies... :o 

Cata never happens, and the future and future progression could be in brand new directions.

Gut Out!
    GaladournbcbullyCaffynated

What, me worry?

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I am not happy about this news.  I really thought this was going to be a July release, early June latest.  Late August is ridiculous.  Its like all the companies making games that I am interested all conspire to have years long stretches of nothing for me, then a small window far in the future where they all plan on releasing the games I want all at the same time.  And then they all laugh and high-five each other and throw darts at a picture of my face.
    ManWithNoTanswagholemike32927TacticalZombeh
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    I feel like this is going to be a incredible expierence until i hit 60 & then reality will set in and that dreaded been ther

Arterius said:

Cant wait to try classic WoW for the first time

I'm really curious to hear what you think of classic. Please create a post after a few weeks and share your experience. I'v always wondered if WOW classic was something special or it just caught me at the right time and I'm now simply running off nostalgia .
    Post edited by JeffSpicoli on
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

blamo2000 said:
    I am not happy about this news.  I really thought this was going to be a July release, early June latest.  Late August is ridiculous.  Its like all the companies making games that I am interested all conspire to have years long stretches of nothing for me, then a small window far in the future where they all plan on releasing the games I want all at the same time.  And then they all laugh and high-five each other and throw darts at a picture of my face.
    Yes I bet they all think of Blamo2000 on mmorpg.com when deciding what date they go with. 

In all honesty though I would rather this launch be late August and stable, than a rushed June / July and have all kinds of issues. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I am quite excited!

I can't wait for old-timey battlegrounds again, and the event to open AQ is going to be so massive! I wonder how fast we'll get it open, the second time around?
    JeffSpicoliCnOath
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    It sounds great but i dont want to a stick in the mud here but i dont think it will hold for long..it will be 3-4 month and then peoiple gets tired of it..thats just my fortune telling
    starstorm777

blamo2000 said:
    Yes I bet they all think of Blamo2000 on mmorpg.com when deciding what date they go with. 

In all honesty though I would rather this launch be late August and stable, than a rushed June / July and have all kinds of issues. 
    Don't forget them laughing, high-fiving, and throwing darts at a picture of my face.  That's the really interesting and malicious part of the devs in this conspiracy and you just pretended like I didn't say something far more crazy than the part you focused on.  

And yeah, I've heard this since the internet became big.  I, personally, would rather have access to a game I want to play much sooner with slightly more issues and bugs, than access later with slightly less bugs and issues.

I'm not in the majority.  I know that.  But that doesn't mean my want is less valid.
    Panther2103[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I'm one of the five people not excited by the news.  WOW Classic isn't what I'm looking for, which always was a FFA PVP server with some territory control.

I really thought they one day would provide this option as prior to WOW most first gen titles offered such a server, but it never materialized. 

Good luck to all those who are looking forward to revisiting their old homes.

[Deleted User]bcbullyMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    I'm one of the five people not excited by the news.  WOW Classic isn't what I'm looking for, which always was a FFA PVP server with some territory control.

I really thought they one day would provide this option as prior to WOW most first gen titles offered such a server, but it never materialized. 

Good luck to all those who are looking forward to revisiting their old homes.

I think the pool of people not excited about it is much higher than five people.  Much, much higher.  I think there are far more people furious people are excited about a game they think is taking the broader mmo genre back instead of what they consider forward, or even just that it isn't implementing all the changes they've successfully yelled and whined to have put in games over the years (like cosmetic shops, achievements, etc) that don't seem to matter to a rather large population of people excited for wow classic, that it is breaking their brains.  

But, I appreciate and respect the fact that this isn't the game for you and you could express it in a way that doesn't include telling me that you really know what I like or don't like.  
    Zeneren
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Deyirn said:
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!
    AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT !!! 
    [Deleted User]HalibrandManWithNoTanMadFrenchie
    • Aloha Mr Hand !