Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Classic - Character Creation & Tiny Tour of Orgrimmar - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft Classic - Character Creation & Tiny Tour of Orgrimmar - MMORPG.com

Dying to get a look at World of Warcraft Classic? We've got you covered with in-game footage featuring character creation, a visit to Classic Orgrimmar and more. Check it out and then head to MMORPG.com to read more about Classic such as release date and much, much more!

Read the full story here

Comments

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    edited May 2019
    That was a tour of Orgrimmar? ....
    Folmen
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I read a few years ago that WOW had overhauled their character models. Are they not using the new ones in classic? Those look horrid.
    [Deleted User]natpickMensurFolmenBaalzharon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I read a few years ago that WOW had overhauled their character models. Are they not using the new ones in classic? Those look horrid.
    They are not. The goal is preservation "the way it was" with minimal changes. Most of the things that will "update" Classic are on the back end.
    RexKushmannatpickFolmen

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Not a blood elf in sight... thank Thrall.
    BillMurphyFolmenPhryScotRelampagoonelesslightAethaerynbcbully
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 476

SBFord said:

They are not. The goal is preservation "the way it was" with minimal changes. Most of the things that will "update" Classic are on the back end.

I would prefer they add the new models in as optional. Toggle on and off.
    MrMelGibsonMadFrenchiePhryonelesslightAethaerynwingood
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    edited May 2019
    I'm really excited to see the fallout on this from a design perspective. I actually agree with the "you think you do, but you don't" mentality. Players are going into this expecting the original experience and they are going to get a min/max pre-raid BiS DPS meter filled grind fest. All the magic of exploration will be gone with all the flaws and heavy grind intact.

Disagree all you want. Come back and check this comment 60 days after launch when they start to merge servers.
    swagholeblamo2000ManWithNoTansupx2bcbully
     I've been here a while...
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    i had fun in classic, but I don't particularly miss it, and repeating it isn't gonna be that fresh. It was grindy as heck.

They are also breaking up the timing of pvp and pve, making the pve gear move forward faster so that pvp gear will never really have any advantage. Most of my time in classic was pvp, playing it or gearing for it.

Classic is a big no for me Bob.
    Whiskeydust

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

I'm really excited to see the fallout on this from a design perspective. I actually agree with the "you think you do, but you don't" mentality. Players are going into this expecting the original experience and they are going to get a min/max pre-raid BiS DPS meter filled grind fest. All the magic of exploration will be gone with all the flaws and heavy grind intact.

Disagree all you want. Come back and check this comment 60 days after launch when they start to merge servers.

Classic private servers have existed before with booming success and only ended after a healthy long life cut story by Blizzard intervention. Do the research...
    sacredcow4FolmenPhry
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited May 2019

Your comment would've been logical if there weren't private servers that were thriving for years and years and the only reason they didn't have playerbases in the 100k was because they were never that polished. Even the best had plenty of bug and lack of proper oversight + a lot of people(like myself) don't feel like investing time in something that might disappear tomorrow due to a DMCA.

Also I haven't checked other servers, but nostalrius when it was in it's peak was getting 15K online players 24x7... if there is even 1 servers like that for each zone(EU/NA etc...) that's more than enough, but I'm confident that the numbers will be a lot higher.

@Geddon95405 - Rank 13/14 characters were doing naxx with PvP gear... not really sure why you'd say PvP gear won't have advantage. Both me and my buddies were raiding in Naxx when it came out with full PvP gear and depending on what class you were you could top the metters... For example full PvP hunter was the top dmg for the guild.

Folmen
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Can someone explain to me if WOW is keeping Classic "classic" and not implementing anything new, for the most part, What the F*&%^ has taken them so long to release ?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Can someone explain to me if WOW is keeping Classic "classic" and not implementing anything new, for the most part, What the F*&%^ has taken them so long to release ?
    The only official non-classic thing I know of is some sharding, or at least I think some sharding has been confirmed for over-populated starting areas only.  From the classic forums it seems most don't care or agree about this restricted and specific use of sharding, where others are absolutely furious about it.

I think the other issue people make a strong case on from a purely classic standpoint is the mix of patching and content release.  Some wanted it to follow the original patching and content scheme of vanilla, whereas they are basing classic off of 1.12 and will have normalized itemization basically from 1.12, but a content release scheme somewhat based off of vanilla.  It makes a lot of sense to a lot of people, is what some wanted, is fine if not perfect or ideal for a lot, and makes it not "classic" to others.

That's really all I can think of.  But these means talents of 1.12 right off the bat too.  So balance druids have boomkin at 31, etc.  The itemization rules out some trick builds I think, like high regen warriors.  My memory isn't the best and I never played on a private server so I am going off really old memories, but I think I covered the gist of it in broad strokes.  
    Phry
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Can't wait to hear of all the bitching about the lack of QoL improvements, when subs try classic.  Remember this marketed towards people that have subscriptions, using illegal servers as a reference for the "interest" isn't a sensible metric.  Most use those servers because there is some sort of advancement in quicker xp or some sort of less grind, or cost them nothing.

The ones screaming they want classic, don't really want classic they want the memories they had that will not and can not exist in the classic servers.  Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
    blamo2000sacredcow4Palebanemoguy1
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I always get a good chuckle from people telling me what I want and why I want it.
    blamo2000ThaharManWithNoTanPalebanePhryRelampagov_Ve

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    laserit said:
    I always get a good chuckle from people telling me what I want and why I want it.
    Hey now, these kids know whats hot!  They have their finger right on the pulse of the hottest and hippest popular games all the kids love watching videos of other people playing.  Of course they know what you want better than you do.  Stop being such a smarmy elitist and thinking you know what you like and want and why you like it and want it more than they do.  

Palebane
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Personally vanilla was ok for me. I had a much better time in BC and WotLK. So I'll most likely wait till that happens. I'm happy for those that finally get their classic servers legally.
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    i honestly cannot see anyone who played wow after wotlk lasting in classic for long, the current game simply has too much hand holding and simplified mechanics,hope im wrong though and we can all enjoy classic,warts an all.
    [Deleted User]Scot
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited May 2019
    Using the success of private servers as an example of how official servers will be popular, is a mistake, imo. Private servers have advantages that the official servers do not. For one, they do not cost a sub. There are also certain customizations that a private host has access to, I assume.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

You might be right, but merging servers is something they are expecting at some point due to ensuring all who start will have an actual chance to play. They could really recreate the past by having limited servers and long queues!

I would sign in (through my DSL line), get into the queue and then make dinner for the family so when I got back I would be able to play. The joy of playing during the evening back in 2004/05.

I do hope it is successful because there is a player base that really wants it to be.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited May 2019
    laserit said:
    You don't want a good chuckle. Here, have a cookie, you're hungry. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    MadFrenchielaserit[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I hope there will be a toggle on/off button for "new" graphics , including char models and such. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't do this. And .. if my memory serves well , I think they did said that there will be an option like this?! ..
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129

SBFord said:

I would prefer they add the new models in as optional. Toggle on and off.

I prefer you stick to retail. Thanks
    ragebullet
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129

BobVa said:

I hope there will be a toggle on/off button for "new" graphics , including char models and such. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't do this. And .. if my memory serves well , I think they did said that there will be an option like this?! ..

No
    ragebullet
  • moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 134
    edited May 2019
    It's gonna be fun for a little bit , for me. But I have played on " Free " servers and I think it being free was the real draw for me to play them. I just imagine everyone looking for the " Group finder " and realizing they have to run to that dungeon =P
    [Deleted User]
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Your comment would've been logical if there weren't private servers that were thriving for years and years and the only reason they didn't have playerbases in the 100k was because they were never that polished. Even the best had plenty of bug and lack of proper oversight + a lot of people(like myself) don't feel like investing time in something that might disappear tomorrow due to a DMCA.

Also I haven't checked other servers, but nostalrius when it was in it's peak was getting 15K online players 24x7... if there is even 1 servers like that for each zone(EU/NA etc...) that's more than enough, but I'm confident that the numbers will be a lot higher.

@Geddon95405 - Rank 13/14 characters were doing naxx with PvP gear... not really sure why you'd say PvP gear won't have advantage. Both me and my buddies were raiding in Naxx when it came out with full PvP gear and depending on what class you were you could top the metters... For example full PvP hunter was the top dmg for the guild.

"Your comment would've been logical if there weren't private servers that were thriving for years and years and the only reason they didn't have playerbases in the 100k was because they were never that polished."  and your evidence of that so that you are "logical"?  
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The reason it is taking so long is two-fold:

1.  They are attempting to use their current backend to run the game which wasn't written for the code that they used back in the day.  This is like forcing square pegs into a round hole.  The debugging at this point is due to the incompatibilities between the two, not really in "fixing" the game.  The assets are really already there and have been for quite some time.  Hence the existence of private servers... they aren't trying to modernize the backend, they are merely running the code as it was run back in the day.  So yeah, you are waiting much longer for a game that already exists just won't run on their backend without mega bugs.

2.  They will never release the game whilst they can squeeze some subscriptions out of BFA still.  So until there are no patches due out on the horizon for BFA, you're not going to see Classic.  Remember, your one sub allows you access to both versions of WoW so since they only get paid once, they're going to string this out as long as they can.  When the current raid tier is a ghost town, Classic is more likely to be released.

All these teasers are just to wind you up for it's release which is most likely mid-late summer.