Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A king burns his title

1235»

Comments

  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    bcbully said:
    Scot said:
    Mendel said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    It was far too easy to predict this type of behavior.  SBS *should* have realized this was a possibility, at least.  That they didn't consider anticipated behavior of their customers doesn't paint SBS in a positive light.



    This is what I have been thinking since I saw the first CoE drama article, a lack of appreciation of the way players play games. Lord British had the excuse so few had done it before when he got killed in the UO opening ceremonies. By now MMO companies should realise how awkward players can be.
    This is what sandbox gameplay is my friend. Player have freedom. Emergent content is made.
    No this is what it looks like when there is no sandbox or gameplay. This is just people who are waiting to get into the sandbox that hasn't even been built yet getting pissed off on how the line to get into the non existent game is being handled.

    /smh
    AnOldFartGdemami

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nilden said:
    bcbully said:
    Scot said:
    Mendel said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    It was far too easy to predict this type of behavior.  SBS *should* have realized this was a possibility, at least.  That they didn't consider anticipated behavior of their customers doesn't paint SBS in a positive light.



    This is what I have been thinking since I saw the first CoE drama article, a lack of appreciation of the way players play games. Lord British had the excuse so few had done it before when he got killed in the UO opening ceremonies. By now MMO companies should realise how awkward players can be.
    This is what sandbox gameplay is my friend. Player have freedom. Emergent content is made.
    No this is what it looks like when there is no sandbox or gameplay. This is just people who are waiting to get into the sandbox that hasn't even been built yet getting pissed off on how the line to get into the non existent game is being handled.

    /smh
    Sandbox politics brother.
    AnOldFart
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    bcbully said:
    Nilden said:
    bcbully said:
    Scot said:
    Mendel said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    It was far too easy to predict this type of behavior.  SBS *should* have realized this was a possibility, at least.  That they didn't consider anticipated behavior of their customers doesn't paint SBS in a positive light.



    This is what I have been thinking since I saw the first CoE drama article, a lack of appreciation of the way players play games. Lord British had the excuse so few had done it before when he got killed in the UO opening ceremonies. By now MMO companies should realise how awkward players can be.
    This is what sandbox gameplay is my friend. Player have freedom. Emergent content is made.
    No this is what it looks like when there is no sandbox or gameplay. This is just people who are waiting to get into the sandbox that hasn't even been built yet getting pissed off on how the line to get into the non existent game is being handled.

    /smh
    Sandbox politics brother.
    When the sandbox doesn't even exist, it's just politics.
    AnOldFart

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    I wonder if SBS knows it paints them in a worse light saying that. The drama around DSS has been pretty interesting at least. One kingdom burning. Some random NA king pissed he wasn't top pick and losing his pick, so entering into what could be described as a cold war already. That has all been overshadowed by the delays. Soon enough we can see if another is about to happen. 

    Interesting watching some of the white knights. One was saying he expects both alphas to be finished this year. No idea how even when delays are happening, he still thinks SBS can do anything fast. 
    GdemamiAnOldFart
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    I wonder if SBS knows it paints them in a worse light saying that. The drama around DSS has been pretty interesting at least. One kingdom burning. Some random NA king pissed he wasn't top pick and losing his pick, so entering into what could be described as a cold war already. That has all been overshadowed by the delays. Soon enough we can see if another is about to happen. 

    Interesting watching some of the white knights. One was saying he expects both alphas to be finished this year. No idea how even when delays are happening, he still thinks SBS can do anything fast. 
    Before something can end... it must begin.

    AnOldFart

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    I wonder if SBS knows it paints them in a worse light saying that. The drama around DSS has been pretty interesting at least. One kingdom burning. Some random NA king pissed he wasn't top pick and losing his pick, so entering into what could be described as a cold war already. That has all been overshadowed by the delays. Soon enough we can see if another is about to happen. 

    Interesting watching some of the white knights. One was saying he expects both alphas to be finished this year. No idea how even when delays are happening, he still thinks SBS can do anything fast. 
    Well, all this tells me is that when this game launches it's gonna be the best "Reality Show" we ever watched.
    MendelKyleranAnOldFartbcbully
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    I wonder if SBS knows it paints them in a worse light saying that. The drama around DSS has been pretty interesting at least. One kingdom burning. Some random NA king pissed he wasn't top pick and losing his pick, so entering into what could be described as a cold war already. That has all been overshadowed by the delays. Soon enough we can see if another is about to happen. 

    Interesting watching some of the white knights. One was saying he expects both alphas to be finished this year. No idea how even when delays are happening, he still thinks SBS can do anything fast. 
    Well, all this tells me is that when this game launches it's gonna be the best "Reality Show" we ever watched.
    If this game ever launches, that's when the whining really starts.  Until then, there's likely to be a lot more entertainment along the way (comedy, drama and possibly a financial expose or two).  This game/project is already giving us quality entertainment.  Just not so much game.



    Slapshot1188bcbullyUngood

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:
    The claim is they didn't know people would organise communities before DSS. 
    To which I call bulls***
    I wonder if SBS knows it paints them in a worse light saying that. The drama around DSS has been pretty interesting at least. One kingdom burning. Some random NA king pissed he wasn't top pick and losing his pick, so entering into what could be described as a cold war already. That has all been overshadowed by the delays. Soon enough we can see if another is about to happen. 

    Interesting watching some of the white knights. One was saying he expects both alphas to be finished this year. No idea how even when delays are happening, he still thinks SBS can do anything fast. 
    Well, all this tells me is that when this game launches it's gonna be the best "Reality Show" we ever watched.
    If this game ever launches, that's when the whining really starts.  Until then, there's likely to be a lot more entertainment along the way (comedy, drama and possibly a financial expose or two).  This game/project is already giving us quality entertainment.  Just not so much game.



    So true and I can't wait to see big groups joining and wiping out a full kingdom, counts dukes and Kings
    bcbully
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265

    All animals are equal but some are more equal than others!

    That is a product of someone paying for influence, not the title itself. Besides, you are confusing that quote, which is about communism/marxism/socialism; every modern students fevered wet-dream.
    I could happily debate the application if the quote but let’s get back to the bulk of the post you skipped.  You made the contention that “The only person who’s sense of “self respect” seems to be triggered by this is yourself and whoever else that seems to be personally offended by titles in general.” I showed you an example to demonstrate that some nobles also see the titles as a form of respect and the lack of them as a form of disrespect.  So since it’s obvious that the “noble” is not offended by titles, will you admit that your statement was incorrect and that both “nobles and peasants” (some not all) see the titles as as matter of respect or disrespect.  

    I will I’ll never forget joining a Discord for the Links Of Elyria event and listening as the players debated which were higher on the totem pole than others based on their spending and who could contact who directly because you “obviously” couldn’t reach out right to the “King”.  Is X high enough to talk to King D?  No? How about Y?  Well could Y at least reach out to A and see if they could ask King D?  All based on how much money one had spent on the game.  Even within Titles there was a segregation.

    It was eye opening.

    Not everyone is like @AnOldFart and going to give up their title.  Many see it as a symbol of their self-worth and place in the community.

    Oh I am sure there are a bunch of douchebags saying all kinds of stupid. It is irrelevant because they would say the same regardless of a title as long as they perceive themselves to have influence/power. Pretty much half of all guild officers ever wouldn't you say? It is a product of someone not suited to the role buying/receiving the influence, not the title per se.

    Some people are simply offended by the concept of nobility. If the title was called El Presidente they would not mention it. And I have seen several take issue with it years ago before there was any "noble" talking stupid. There is this ridiculous Republic vs Monarchy mentality with some. As if that is relevant to a medieval game, or to any competitive sandbox. The social dynamics of sandbox MMOs are always similar to tribal chiefdoms, not democracies.
    Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2019

    All animals are equal but some are more equal than others!

    That is a product of someone paying for influence, not the title itself. Besides, you are confusing that quote, which is about communism/marxism/socialism; every modern students fevered wet-dream.
    I could happily debate the application if the quote but let’s get back to the bulk of the post you skipped.  You made the contention that “The only person who’s sense of “self respect” seems to be triggered by this is yourself and whoever else that seems to be personally offended by titles in general.” I showed you an example to demonstrate that some nobles also see the titles as a form of respect and the lack of them as a form of disrespect.  So since it’s obvious that the “noble” is not offended by titles, will you admit that your statement was incorrect and that both “nobles and peasants” (some not all) see the titles as as matter of respect or disrespect.  

    I will I’ll never forget joining a Discord for the Links Of Elyria event and listening as the players debated which were higher on the totem pole than others based on their spending and who could contact who directly because you “obviously” couldn’t reach out right to the “King”.  Is X high enough to talk to King D?  No? How about Y?  Well could Y at least reach out to A and see if they could ask King D?  All based on how much money one had spent on the game.  Even within Titles there was a segregation.

    It was eye opening.

    Not everyone is like @AnOldFart and going to give up their title.  Many see it as a symbol of their self-worth and place in the community.

     The social dynamics of sandbox MMOs are always similar to tribal chiefdoms, not democracies.
    I've been a member of player groups organized as pure communist, corporate, military, Roman, oligarchal, collective, lais·sez-faire, and of course,  medevial kingdom. 

    Most end up following the same structure as any volunteer activity, a small handful of people shoulder the bulk of the "work" for the good of the group, receiving little compensation while everyone else takes credit with the right to bitch about everything.

    ;)
    Ungoodbcbully

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited May 2019
    Kyleran said:

    I've been a member of player groups organized as pure communist, corporate, military, Roman, oligarchal, collective, lais·sez-faire, and of course,  medevial kingdom. 

    Most end up following the same structure as any volunteer activity, a small handful of people shoulder the bulk of the "work" for the good of the group, receiving little compensation while everyone else takes credit with the right to bitch about everything.

    ;)
    Are you saying that is how a democracy works? Sure everyone bitches but the bulk of people work.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2019
    Kyleran said:

    I've been a member of player groups organized as pure communist, corporate, military, Roman, oligarchal, collective, lais·sez-faire, and of course,  medevial kingdom. 

    Most end up following the same structure as any volunteer activity, a small handful of people shoulder the bulk of the "work" for the good of the group, receiving little compensation while everyone else takes credit with the right to bitch about everything.

    ;)
    Are you saying that is how a democracy works? Sure everyone bitches but the bulk of people work.
    Er, no, I was referring to how most volunteer organizations often work, including player run gaming guilds.
    StaalBurgher

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:

    I've been a member of player groups organized as pure communist, corporate, military, Roman, oligarchal, collective, lais·sez-faire, and of course,  medevial kingdom. 

    Most end up following the same structure as any volunteer activity, a small handful of people shoulder the bulk of the "work" for the good of the group, receiving little compensation while everyone else takes credit with the right to bitch about everything.

    ;)
    Are you saying that is how a democracy works? Sure everyone bitches but the bulk of people work.
    Real World Political governments have little impact on the number of people working, as under everything from despotic regimes to open socialism, the number of people working can be near 100%.


    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Sign In or Register to comment.