Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ducal picks delayed by one week

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    And now another week delay... 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I am so waiting for this game to cause riots in the streets in real life.
    bcbully
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    AnOldFart said:
    And now another week delay... 
    I will say it again: Utter incompetence 

He is utterly clueless as a project manager. 

Is THIS the Storm he promised? What a fucking joke this whole development has been.  

But sure @JeromyWalsh keep blaming websites like mmorpg.com and massivelyop for your issues.  Keep blaming Harbingers.  Keep blaming your team.  Until you look in the mirror and understand that YOU are the problem this game’s development will continue to pay the price for your utter and continued incompetence.
    AnOldFartGdemamibcbully

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    A lot of backer goodwill is being crushed with current events as they are,  hopefully not permanently or funding may slow down and endanger whatever chance this game might have to being delivered. 
    ConstantineMerusAnOldFart

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Caspian jumped into voice chat. I only caught the very end of it. So the few people, 50-100, that were in that voice chat are happy. Back to their white knighting ways. Everyone else, are naturally annoyed. To sum it up, basically what people have made countless threads seems to be happening. "Don't say any release dates until the stuff is ready to go". 

So while the update post had a date for next week. It's now been changed with no date. Which is an improvement. If it's something that he will take on, remains to be seen. 

How the community overall will react to this, also remains to be seen. While I like the change. I just wish this is how they did it from the start. Changing it midway through, can't see it ending well.
    KyleranGdemamibcbully
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Ungood said:
    I am so waiting for this game to cause riots in the streets in real life.
    A riot typically would require alot of people and crowds I think.  This would be more like a small fight club that no one would notice.
    @Slapshot1188 would make sure that everyone's talking about it! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Torrsk said:
    Caspian jumped into voice chat. I only caught the very end of it. So the few people, 50-100, that were in that voice chat are happy. Back to their white knighting ways. Everyone else, are naturally annoyed. To sum it up, basically what people have made countless threads seems to be happening. "Don't say any release dates until the stuff is ready to go". 

So while the update post had a date for next week. It's now been changed with no date. Which is an improvement. If it's something that he will take on, remains to be seen. 

How the community overall will react to this, also remains to be seen. While I like the change. I just wish this is how they did it from the start. Changing it midway through, can't see it ending well.
    I think people are finally starting to realize that things are not quite what they were led to believe. I see a lot of quotes like this one:

"That's what kinda throws me off. Because back in December, they were planning on releasing DSS, supposedly. Now, we're almost in the middle of the year and still na-da"

EXACTLY.  

And eventually those same people will start to realize they were told the same thing about every single facet of the game: ElyriaMud, Vox Elyria, Prelude, Alpha (anyone even remember the Adventure Construction Set?) all were said to be really close yet magically either never appeared or are years/months from when they were stated to be close.

They are just building the outlines of the worlds as we type... That should be a huge wakeup call to anyone who listened to the bullshit for the last few years.  Think about that and understand how damn far we are from release of this game DESPITE what Caspien has spewed and what the IvoryTower has spread on these very forums.  As of this very moment, they still have not even finalized the damn MAPS.  That's like step 30 on a 1000 step process to release.

All those silly posts from the IvoryTower about NDA... HAHAHAHAHA.

HA

Don't ask how much money was raised ($6.1M).  Don't even ask about what it was wasted on.  Just start to ask how much MORE will be needed. How much more money? How much more time? 

Gdemamibcbully

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Agree with you there @Slapshot1188 I don't see much overall changing. Caspian has said before, he promises not to say dates anymore. Sometime last year. Which that lasted until all the leaks around DSS came out. Even bringing this up to people in discord, well that doesn't mean anything, supposedly. They all seem to love Caspian like the god they all view him as. 

Where I just see history will soon enough repeat itself again. But then I have always been a type to judge a person on their actions. Over anything they may say. 

It was nice for those last two weeks. People overall, even some of the biggest backers, all started to see the development differently. Start to question things more and importantly, question SBS more. Now it's all gone back to normal. White knights have regrouped and kicking others to the curb. All Caspian really has done is move the date from his post. But no one believed any date would be hit anyway. Impressive damage control or the community is even more stupid than I thought possible.
    Gdemami
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited May 2019
    Torrsk said:

I think people are finally starting to realize that things are not quite what they were led to believe. I see a lot of quotes like this one:

"That's what kinda throws me off. Because back in December, they were planning on releasing DSS, supposedly. Now, we're almost in the middle of the year and still na-da"

EXACTLY.  

And eventually those same people will start to realize they were told the same thing about every single facet of the game: ElyriaMud, Vox Elyria, Prelude, Alpha (anyone even remember the Adventure Construction Set?) all were said to be really close yet magically either never appeared or are years/months from when they were stated to be close.

They are just building the outlines of the worlds as we type... That should be a huge wakeup call to anyone who listened to the bullshit for the last few years.  Think about that and understand how damn far we are from release of this game DESPITE what Caspien has spewed and what the IvoryTower has spread on these very forums.  As of this very moment, they still have not even finalized the damn MAPS.  That's like step 30 on a 1000 step process to release.

All those silly posts from the IvoryTower about NDA... HAHAHAHAHA.

HA

Don't ask how much money was raised ($6.1M).  Don't even ask about what it was wasted on.  Just start to ask how much MORE will be needed. How much more money? How much more time? 

I agree with this post 95% couple of minor things I might disagree with but they are very minor.
    The only thing I can add, the maps should have been completed at the time of world generation. All rss generation and river placements should have been completed.

And the stuff should be in testing before announced. 
    What's wrong with saying, "this month we are working on world generation, we expect to have the resource distribution up in a few weeks before moving on to the water table generation and then concept maps for DSS"
    Or
    "This month we are doing some fighting animation, whilst the main team works on x, we will release a short video on completion"

Now this is just a rough example though since I'm not upto scratch on game development. ???
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited May 2019
    Vrika said:
    DerryFH said:
    So do they even pay taxes?
    You only pay tax if you make a taxable profit. Firstly, do the funds that they raise qualify as revenue and secondly, do they raise more revenue than tax deductible expenses?

I imagine that their revenue is considered to be deferred, basically a prepayment by the customer so it isn't taxable until the company delivers their product or more specifically over the period that the customer has access to it.

So based on that... no, they are not paying tax other the payroll taxes deducted from their payslips.
    It's likely that they need to pay VAT for their sales to Europe.
    I'm only speaking about income tax but you are right. VAT is essentially a tax on the consumer although I guess one could argue that SBS would charge the same even if there was no VAT. So it would be a loss to them if they had to pay it.

That said, I suspect they don't pay any VAT. SBS is a US company and is not registered for VAT. There might technically have to be a VAT charge on a software import but for VAT to be paid there has to be some mechanism through which those tax authorities pick it up. The sales are from their private, US website for a digital product to private individuals. It is probably slipping through the net.

If they were going through a platform such as Steam it would probably be different. In that case the platform would be registered and it would get charged.

A bit murky though.
    As we pass 1 month delay, I think people should remember something.  Not how long the delay is or will be, but rather remember that they actually STARTED having customers select their spots back in April. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31277/domain-settlement-selection-has-started.

Think about that.  Think about how they actually started that process with nothing done or even close to being done.  They are STILL generating the maps yet they had people start locking in their locations and would have continued except that some high dollar backers revolted. Think back to how Caspien was talking about this in December. Think about that mentality and think about what it means when it comes to truthfulness and trust.

Keep thinking about that as every additional day goes by and remember it the next time you have to decide who to believe.

Gdemamibcbully

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    As we pass 1 month delay, I think people should remember something.  Not how long the delay is or will be, but rather remember that they actually STARTED having customers select their spots back in April. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31277/domain-settlement-selection-has-started.

Think about that.  Think about how they actually started that process with nothing done or even close to being done.  They are STILL generating the maps yet they had people start locking in their locations and would have continued except that some high dollar backers revolted. Think back to how Caspien was talking about this in December. Think about that mentality and think about what it means when it comes to truthfulness and trust.

Keep thinking about that as every additional day goes by and remember it the next time you have to decide who to believe.

All your points are 100% valid, but mention this in the CoE discord and have it branded as echo chamber mentality and Sirpentius is quick to squelch that. What a damn shitstorm this has become, it's actually comical and really underscores how clueless Soulbound Studios are...not only did they not have the maps ready when kings were making their claims but they didn't even bother to entertain the thought of what  if there are massive problems that come up with maps and water tables etc? This shows me that management is pretty much nonexistent.

The real slap in the face will come after DSS is over, I guarantee you when titles go back on to the store it will be smooth and bugfree, magically everything will be working when Soulbound knows more people will be giving them money for virtual data in a game that has no existence whatsoever. The world of Elyria is damn massive, there will be so many counties/duchies up for grabs and this means payday $$$$....the community should boycott this part until Elyria is playable in some form.
    Gdemami

All your points are 100% valid, but mention this in the CoE discord and have it branded as echo chamber mentality and Sirpentius is quick to squelch that. What a damn shitstorm this has become, it's actually comical and really underscores how clueless Soulbound Studios are...not only did they not have the maps ready when kings were making their claims but they didn't even bother to entertain the thought of what  if there are massive problems that come up with maps and water tables etc? This shows me that management is pretty much nonexistent.

The real slap in the face will come after DSS is over, I guarantee you when titles go back on to the store it will be smooth and bugfree, magically everything will be working when Soulbound knows more people will be giving them money for virtual data in a game that has no existence whatsoever. The world of Elyria is damn massive, there will be so many counties/duchies up for grabs and this means payday $$$$....the community should boycott this part until Elyria is playable in some form.
    They have proven very dedicated to buying as many advantages as CoE puts in the store.  Over $6M.  I see no signs that those spending the money are stopping.   We shall see when the next Kickstarterversary (aka lets celebrate we are a year late and counting) sale comes out after DS&S.

Mendel

Just an update.   The 1 week delay has now passed the 2 month mark.

A serious question for any backer:

Knowing that they actually started the DSS event back in April and finding out that they had nearly NOTHING complete at that time and were pretty much "faking it" IMHO... and seeing that we are now +2 months and counting....  what are your thoughts on the situation?  Is this kind of behavior acceptable to you?  Not that they are always delayed, but that they actually started in April and expected people to somehow not notice that they had nothing tangible complete.

Any Dukes around that might want to let us know how the "aristocracy" is feeling?

Gdemami

Knowing that they actually started the DSS event back in April and finding out that they had nearly NOTHING complete at that time and were pretty much "faking it" IMHO... and seeing that we are now +2 months and counting....  what are your thoughts on the situation?  Is this kind of behavior acceptable to you?  Not that they are always delayed, but that they actually started in April and expected people to somehow not notice that they had nothing tangible complete.

Any Dukes around that might want to let us know how the "aristocracy" is feeling?

Not sure why, but for some reason many claim DSS was due in Dec and feel it is now 7 months late.

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Not sure why, but for some reason many claim DSS was due in Dec and feel it is now 7 months late.

To me, it's not just a matter of how they miss date after date... it's a question about how they started the selection process and NONE OF THE STUFF THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR THE LAST 2 MONTHS WERE DONE!

If I were a Duke that they were pressuring to go along with their plan... I'd be absolutely pissed off.  So I'd like to hear from a backer about how they feel about that.

Gdemami

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Nothing has been accomplished by CoE and Gdemami is tossing around his wtfs like candy during a German carnival parade.

A regular day on mmorpg and I am sure it will be exactly like this in the years to come as well.
    SpottyGekko
    Harbinger of Fools
    Kyleran said:

To me, it's not just a matter of how they miss date after date... it's a question about how they started the selection process and NONE OF THE STUFF THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR THE LAST 2 MONTHS WERE DONE!

If I were a Duke that they were pressuring to go along with their plan... I'd be absolutely pissed off.  So I'd like to hear from a backer about how they feel about that.

I'm a Count, i have zero faith remaining in Soulbound Studios. Caspian is well spoken and actually has great ideas for this game, i actually believe that...having said that I am saddened he is the CEO of this company and that he has so much managerial authority. I feel Caspian is clueless in this regard and with him in charge there is no chance this game ever comes to fruition. I truly feel there is no game here and there won't ever be a game. This is a massive project and they simply don't have what it takes to make this game. Shame on Caspian, end this misery and move on.
    Gdemami
    Kyleran said:

It's because on discord, sometime late last year. Caspian said something like "we could do DSS now, but that would conflict with the holidays". To where people thought they were really working on it for 5ish months before announcing the April date. But seems what really happened, he explained somewhere on discord. They stopped working on it all together, until sometime in March. Figuring they would only need a month. Which makes me wonder, how they come to that number. 
    So while it hasn't really been 7 months. It's just another case of him saying too much crap on discord when he shouldn't. 

Onto your question @Slapshot1188 . I don't really care anymore. I used to think of myself as a passionate supporter. Even if lately that has been more on the negative side with my feedback. While I'm still somewhat looking forward to DSS. Which has more to be being in a group, over my own interest. I feel the same about CoE as I do about SC. I don't hate either, but I don't really care about them. 

I know there are some other high backers that feel the same way. The trust has been broken and naturally, once that's broken, hard thing to get back. I also see SBS going back to their ways. With rules tighten on discord, where you basically can't speak out. Getting yourself muted or banned. As a few mates have been. Their extremely loyal followers that are still yes men. Much like last time Caspian promised to change. Give it till next year, just be the same BS all over again. Very much over it all.
    tweedledumb99KyleranGdemamiAnOldFart
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I think the game isnt worth spending so much energy over. I pop by every other month or three to check out if theres anything new. But becoming angry, frustrated aggrieved and vocal is just waste of time and energy which would be better spent elsewhere :)
    Kyleranbcbullytweedledumb99
  • Marcus323Marcus323 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I am a count who has spent as much as a duke on this game and well, I can say their tactics lately are less than a good look for the studio. They silence anyone who speaks out about the delays and their teetering confidence in the studio and the game. Serpentius is one of the worst community managers I have ever witnessed. He says how he is customer service focused but is constantly telling the customers they are wrong and SBS is right and everyone needs to shut up and just love Caspian and the company. Then you have Caspian coming into discord and trying to hype everyone up with references to things he is going to show us. Then suddenly, when it isn't ready it's his son's birthday, so he has to call it a day, no mention of that earlier and he tells us his whole life. Then when the item is still not ready, his wife gets the flu (within hours after said party). Then it's still not ready and Caspian gets the flu. Sort of like how DSS wasn't ready and all the DDOS began happening (causing a delay). They are great at formulating excuses, if only they were as skilled with deadlines.
    DerryFHGdemamibcbully
    Marcus323 said:
    I am a count who has spent as much as a duke on this game and well, I can say their tactics lately are less than a good look for the studio. They silence anyone who speaks out about the delays and their teetering confidence in the studio and the game. Serpentius is one of the worst community managers I have ever witnessed. He says how he is customer service focused but is constantly telling the customers they are wrong and SBS is right and everyone needs to shut up and just love Caspian and the company. Then you have Caspian coming into discord and trying to hype everyone up with references to things he is going to show us. Then suddenly, when it isn't ready it's his son's birthday, so he has to call it a day, no mention of that earlier and he tells us his whole life. Then when the item is still not ready, his wife gets the flu (within hours after said party). Then it's still not ready and Caspian gets the flu. Sort of like how DSS wasn't ready and all the DDOS began happening (causing a delay). They are great at formulating excuses, if only they were as skilled with deadlines.
    You need to come up with excuses when the reality is you have nothing. Time will show i am correct here. While CoE is not a scam, i do believe there is some work being done, however, I can promise you there is no game here, there won't ever be a game here by Soulbound Studios. Caspian is leading people on with the narrative they are getting work done. The future here is a sad post by Caspian about CoE being put on hold.
    Gdemami
    I think the game isnt worth spending so much energy over. I pop by every other month or three to check out if theres anything new. But becoming angry, frustrated aggrieved and vocal is just waste of time and energy which would be better spent elsewhere :)
    IMHO it's never a waste of time to take what a company says, and then show what really happened months/years later.  It's a matter of credibility.  I actually expect people to do what they say they will do when they take money and refuse refunds.  I know it's a shocking concept in today's world but to each their own. YMMV and your approach may be best for you.  Each person is different.

Credibility is for suckers....

;)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I can see Jeromy shutting this studio down in a year or so, whilst blaming the "hostile gaming press" and the "spineless backers" for killing the project...
    Gdemami