Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most populated MMORPG right now?

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    gago889 said:
    WoW still king, 2nd ESO, 3rd BDO, 4th FF14. However I think FF14 will become 3rd soon

It's not 100% accurate but we can refer to steam to see the growing of them

ESO the 2nd: https://steamspy.com/app/306130 - 32k player pick on steam
    BDO the 3rd:https://steamspy.com/app/582660 - 18k player pick on steam
    FF14 the 4th:https://steamspy.com/app/39210 - 15.5k player pick at steam
    This list is so lul, simply because 80% of ffxiv's playerbase doesn't bother with steam because it gets clunky plus it has to be dealt with only through steam and not like. say being able to buy from amazon/gmg/or even SE themselves and putting it on Steam. Steam has its own set of codes for the game that need to be bought. That said, FF14 is definitely close to wow which isn't saying either game is 'amazing' or whatever, it has to do with just a shifting of numbers between the 2 titles. Fall-off tend to go to ESO. No way to really gauge GW2 via this method but it would surprise me if BDO did beat it out.
  • zya4254zya4254 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Ciptello said:
    WoW surprises me, I played a lot, but many years ago. I played and played and played, I had a very strong character and continued to play. Until one day, I realized that I was still doing the same. This was my end to WoW. I do not know if I would like to start everything anew now.
    I have a question, is PUBG a mmo shooter?

I've played WoW a lot, I bought a lot of WoW Gold and later I've been a best WoW gold seller. I wonder if there is any MMO without RMT. I do not know of any MMO in which you can not buy gold, currency or weapons for real money. Who knows, maybe the correlation is big and every game where you can buy currency (like WoW gold) is a MMO. From experience, I recommend this shop to buy WoW gold https://odealo.com/games/wow-us

Good advertisement !!!!!!!
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I would have said WoW, an most likely be correct.  I got the feeling though ESO is closing the gap and WoW is losing subs an players at an increased rate.  Hell they had to put ques in for login on the EU ESO this past week because there were so many playing there.  I also think Final Fantasy is most likely running close to ESO and with the new xpac coming those that have left will be coming back to ESO and Final Fantasy this summer most likely.
    snoocky
  • vendetta54vendetta54 Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Hello friends I'm looking for a new RPG game. I want to have the game knight online style game I want to play. If you have feedback or advice please help me waiting
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    No way WoW has 7 million subs right now. I call bullshit.
    Phry[Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:
    Just started playing WoW about a month ago and I would say WoW easily. For as much hate as that game gets no matter where I go there is at least 20-30 people in the same area. It gets annoying some times when I am trying to do a mission with a low drop rate and there are five people trying to do the same quest.
    If a game - any game - uses megaserver/server cluster technology its "impossible" to guess how many people are playing based on your play experience. (Unless its very quiet in which case .....)
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know that WoW uses megaservers/server clusters.
    They call them "connected realms"; seem to remember them coming in round about the time of MoP. Since then there have been multiple changes to the clusters; quite a lot of griping on Reddit threads about "multiple server mergers". And last year they "linked" the PvP specific servers to the PvE servers to ..... "enhance the player experience" of course. And whilst such changes suggest a lower population there is no way of knowing.

And as I said in the thread I linked above comparing WoW to e.g. ESO is like comparing apples to oranges; one has a sub one doesn't - big difference. Even comparing WoW to FFXIV is akin to comparing apples to pears - since the subscription methodology is very different.

At the end of the day, as @Iselin said, as long as a game has "enough" people it doesn't matter - knowing it is making enough money is useful as well.
    My question how much longer does WoW have left story wise? Will it just keep going and going? I mean I am only lvl 30  but I know in the story right now players are fighting old gods. Where do the heck do they go from there? Will we eventually hit lvl 200?

Devs are already talking level squish for next expansion.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Viper482 said:
    At the moment i would be surprised if they even had over 2 million active subs, though this will change when Classic goes live, at that point i think 7 million subs is possible. ;)
    MendelKyleranblamo2000[Deleted User]
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    A year or two ago I rolled a dwarf warrior in WoW. And while I saw some peeps in cities, for the most part I ran into almost no one leveling up until I got closer to the highest level.
    I think that is the current state of *all* MMORPGs, the population is at the high-end.  Sure, you might find a level 10 to group with occasionally, but there is a very good chance that that level 10 is an alt of some near-top-end character.  Or most likely 5.

The lack of new players is a problem for the entire genre.  New players aren't starting existing MMORPGs, the population for all MMORPGs has been a glut of new players when the game launches with dwindling population starting around launch plus (6-18) months.

I think this lends credence to my theory that there are a relative *finite but indefinite* number of MMORPG players.  I've thought the population churns through every title in the genre until they find something that keeps them.  As they age, their tastes and preferences change and their chosen game doesn't provide the same experience as it once did.  Individuals break away, migrating to other games, usually ending up at a forum like this one asking for recommendations for a game they may have missed.

MMORPG games eat their young.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Minecraft.

Minecraft.
    Bejeweled!
    [Deleted User]
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited June 2019
    You can check numbers in many ways. (No, steamcharts is not one of them :P)

Currently, the most played MMO is FF14. This is likely due to the upcoming expansion in two weeks.

WoW and Runescape are right behind it.

With ESO, BDO and GW2 in the Teir under that.

I play pretty much everything on this list and can say that FF14 deserves its #1 spot right now. It's the only MMO on the list that has become progressively better over its lifetime with very few mistakes and sacrifices.

It also is imo and many others the best PvE on the market...and this is coming from a PvP players (which leaves a lot to be desired in FF14).

PS: We will see how WoW Classic shakes things up. I know people who think it will have 10M players and others who think it will barely have a couple hundred K after 3 months.

ragebulletDragnelusNorseGodsumdumguy1KyleranGdemami
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    The answer is which ever game just dropped an expansion or new content patch.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Too many contradictory ways which produce varying results based upon their system of measurement.  As an example, within the site mmo population there are different people who have said the criteria they use can be altered by certain variables to show different results.  AS an example, SWTOR ranks #11 on their list in terms of activity.  If you change the criteria to current subs (active or not) it jumps to number 2.  If you take away the free player population on some of the games, they plummet many numeric levels.  In situations like this, if you want a definitive criteria, you need to establish clear specifics of what your measuring and list the potential variables which could change those numbers greatly.

Hatefullsumdumguy1gunklacker
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    You can check numbers in many ways. (No, steamcharts is not one of them :P)

Currently, the most played MMO is FF14. This is likely due to the upcoming expansion in two weeks.

WoW and Runescape are right behind it.

With ESO, BDO and GW2 in the Teir under that.

I play pretty much everything on this list and can say that FF14 deserves its #1 spot right now. It's the only MMO on the list that has become progressively better over its lifetime with very few mistakes and sacrifices.

It also is imo and many others the best PvE on the market...and this is coming from a PvP players (which leaves a lot to be desired in FF14).

PS: We will see how WoW Classic shakes things up. I know people who think it will have 10M players and others who think it will barely have a couple hundred K after 3 months.

Nice (fiction) story.

psychosiz1sumdumguy1[Deleted User]someforumguy

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    At the moment i would be surprised if they even had over 2 million active subs, though this will change when Classic goes live, at that point i think 7 million subs is possible. ;)
    The 7 million include china sub.  It is believable.

The other numbers are more unbelievable.  Don't think any of them have 500k monthly players.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    ikcin said:
    There are still many L2 private servers. In Eastern EU, Russia, East Asia, except Japan, South America, L2 is more popular than WoW. 

But I think the most populated should be some browser MMORPG, or some old 2D  MMORPG, or some mobile MMORPG. A F2P game with the easiest possible access.
    Dont' think L2 is even more popular than L1.
    Hatefull
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:

WoW had 1.7million subs late last year:  https://twitter.com/WeakAuras/status/1051812677578838016

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Too many contradictory ways which produce varying results based upon their system of measurement.  As an example, within the site mmo population there are different people who have said the criteria they use can be altered by certain variables to show different results.  AS an example, SWTOR ranks #11 on their list in terms of activity.  If you change the criteria to current subs (active or not) it jumps to number 2.  If you take away the free player population on some of the games, they plummet many numeric levels.  In situations like this, if you want a definitive criteria, you need to establish clear specifics of what your measuring and list the potential variables which could change those numbers greatly.

This right here so much.
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    How do we calculate without first agreeing on what a mmorpg is?
    [Deleted User]kitarad[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Blizzard will start crowing about their numbers again when classic releases.
    Kyleran

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I think FFXIV will surpass WoW in the forseeable future, that games player number is still on the rise, contrary to just about every other MMO.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    lahnmir said:
    I think FFXIV will surpass WoW in the forseeable future, that games player number is still on the rise, contrary to just about every other MMO.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    FFXIV is still worse game than WoW, this game can shine for a little when there is new xpac and WoW xpac is already washed up, that's all, but still shine not surpass...I'm big fan of FF series but not that big when it comes to FFXIV, it's not bad but still, yeah...
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited August 2019
    People keep saying wow,gw2, ff xiv. But the real highest populated mmo is actually king of glory, they even make an anime titled king of avatar, and live action tv series about it. the population is staggering 150 million, it made $450 mill per month,  but it is a Chinese mmo for your phone by tencent. I don't think I will play it. even though they have western version. 
    Post edited by vegetableoil on
    Phryjimmywolf
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    FFXIV has probably already exceeded WoW's subscriber base, its likely Classic will change that, but until then, FFXIV in all probability has the most paid subscriptions, though when it comes to player numbers, both ESO and BDO have more players than WoW, at this point i would say that WoW's future is hanging by a thread, and that thread is called Classic. :/