Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If NCSoft decided to make a sequel, will it beat SoH and CoT out the gate?

DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
Hypothetically, if NCSoft works on a sequel now, do you believe it will beat SoH and CoT to the punch as a released mmo to the public? There has been some small testing with SoH, but nothing released to the public in terms of an alpha or beta.

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    yea bigger budget and perhaps better writers. more pro style i guess all in all.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I believe you are specifically asking if it will release before SoH and CoT?  I don't think so, not if they just started working on it now and it was an actual mmorpg and not some BR or arena game.

Do I think it would be more of a big deal and draw?  Yes.  I think SoH and CoT have sadly largely flown under people's radar, and there are also a huge percentage of players that will ignore any and all games that aren't triple AAA games or lower graphics quality indie games regardless of gameplay and systems that become big deals through some sort of hipsterism I can't figure out.

Tiller[Deleted User]
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    SoH is probably a year from actual release, and the supporters beta should be starting Q4 this year.  I doubt NCsoft can move THAT fast!  :)  That said, if they decided to remaster CoH They MIGHT be able to beat SoH, but even at that I doubt it.  The code used by Cryptic for CoH is so hashed up that the only thing that a code team trying to update the game to Unreal 4, for example, could use is the lore and story arcs.  There are absolutely no tools in existence to port that sad Cryptic code to a modern engine.
    Blaze_Rockerblamo2000

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Depends on how many resources ($$ and staff) they have devoted to it. None of us would know that, which pretty much just makes it a guessing game.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Not a chance. NCsoft would need a year just to get started and they've had more than ten to work on a sequel.

To the Koreans the American superhero genre is beneath them. The heroes and villains the West prefers aren't fast enough or flashy enough for them so they have no interest in them. I can only guess that the reason they won't offer to sell the IP to interested parties is greed. They won't give us what we want so all we can do is buy their other stuff. - I would speak more on their greed but nobody cares so I'll just end it here.

GladDog

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Even if they did, would people trust them after what happened with CoH? I don't think NC pays much attention to their non-Korean offices and allows them to be mismanaged.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Likely NCSoft would focus on a mobile only title rather than a sequel PC / console style game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon