Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Emberlight is an Upcoming Rogue-like Dungeon Crawler Headed to Steam - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageEmberlight is an Upcoming Rogue-like Dungeon Crawler Headed to Steam - MMORPG.com News

Emberlight is a forthcoming rogue-like dungeon crawler that is headed to Steam on August 13th. The game features procedurally generated dungeons and sends players off on a number of quests "in the name of the Ember Order". Players will need to absorb enemy abilities as they race through the dungeon. As enemy abilities are absorbed, they are synthesized into Ember Powers that can corrupt the player's soul. The most corrupted will kill off their former team members at the end of a dungeon run.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 106

game looks really cool

yes, really cool for 1995
    [Deleted User]CaboSouli486DX2-66TaishiFoxFlyByKnightZenJellyjgDuffayCelciusmbhahnCryomatrixand 6 others.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Personally I care more about the gameplay than the graphics.
    Looks interesting, so I'll definitely check it out.
    sgelmbhahnRueTheWhirl

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    that game does not say rogue like to me, permadeath single char non turn based is every roguelike I have played

it looks cool imo but I would describe it as something else
    mbhahn
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    There's retro look graphics that's stylized an cool, and then there's "lets recreate Sega CD video compression" retro graphics. This is teetering on the latter.
    RueTheWhirl
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    looks like each character is dancing in fights. Just saying

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Game looks absolutely disgusting. (but we'ere indie) ya who cares, been there done that.
    RueTheWhirl
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    So it's like Darkest Dungeon with a twist?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    No clue why we keep trying to back to DOS graphics
  • VaernusQOGVaernusQOG Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    edited May 2019
    Creative Director for Emberlight here. We're getting a lot to work with in comments here to refine the game before launch in three months so thank you everyone.

The graphics are not complete yet. We're still in transition for a final identity which has begun. Xyla and I are in the middle of revamping all rooms, textures, visual effects, and post processing to final looks and we'll be pushing updates regularly. The end goal is still going to be semi cel shaded/semi retro because it's a look we really like that fits the gameplay and style versus simply having more realistic. It's just a matter of refining all elements to be a bit more cohesive. But nothing is set in stone if anyone had other concepts for the visuals.

The animations dancing are while playing in speed mode which we default to. Standard mode plays animation based on current effects status (normal, slow, haste for instance). We default to speed mode due to concerns that combat was a bit too slow, and I prefer playing it always in this mode now.

The pure definition of roguelike is procedural dungeon crawler with permadeath and turn based combat (plenty of debate here though). That's what we're holding to for Emberlight at it's core. There's been plenty of roguelikes and roguelites that the team has all played and loved over the years, but we felt this concept best fit going with our game flow. Especially with long term plans based on input from the D&D/tabletop fans that we've spoken to and are going to expand on in the near future.

Thank you again everyone for taking the time to comment and we're going to be improving Emberlight constantly. I'd recommend anyone join our Discord server as we're open to any feedback to make this a game everyone here would want to play.
    MadFrenchieSBFordmbhahn[Deleted User]PhryGaladournjgDuffay[Deleted User]Myrdynn
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @VaernusQOG Welcome to the boards and thanks for your input! :)
    mbhahn

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Looks like a poor man's slay the spire.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Creative Director for Emberlight here. We're getting a lot to work with in comments here to refine the game before launch in three months so thank you everyone.

The graphics are not complete yet. We're still in transition for a final identity which has begun. Xyla and I are in the middle of revamping all rooms, textures, visual effects, and post processing to final looks and we'll be pushing updates regularly. The end goal is still going to be semi cel shaded/semi retro because it's a look we really like that fits the gameplay and style versus simply having more realistic. It's just a matter of refining all elements to be a bit more cohesive. But nothing is set in stone if anyone had other concepts for the visuals.

The animations dancing are while playing in speed mode which we default to. Standard mode plays animation based on current effects status (normal, slow, haste for instance). We default to speed mode due to concerns that combat was a bit too slow, and I prefer playing it always in this mode now.

The pure definition of roguelike is procedural dungeon crawler with permadeath and turn based combat (plenty of debate here though). That's what we're holding to for Emberlight at it's core. There's been plenty of roguelikes and roguelites that the team has all played and loved over the years, but we felt this concept best fit going with our game flow. Especially with long term plans based on input from the D&D/tabletop fans that we've spoken to and are going to expand on in the near future.

Thank you again everyone for taking the time to comment and we're going to be improving Emberlight constantly. I'd recommend anyone join our Discord server as we're open to any feedback to make this a game everyone here would want to play.

Thanks for stopping by William!
    Glad to see the progress you guys have made. Your team is making all the right moves! I look forward to playing it! 

Good work so far.
    mbhahn
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    The grafics of the Shortcuts are from WoW?

Lonzo said:

The icons on the interface? They are a pack we purchased from the Unity Asset Store as we've been artist deficient this entire project. There's a similar design scheme used for sure which I've seen in quite a few RPGs (probably why we went with it subconsciously).
    [Deleted User]
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Meh!
  • SolidLizardSolidLizard Member CommonPosts: 7
    Reminds me of HoMM and Dungeon Siege series.
    [Deleted User]Myrdynnmbhahn
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Oh boy, it's someone's first game.

Grats to them, but man does it look rough.
  • 3113031130 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116

Lonzo said:

The icons on the interface? They are a pack we purchased from the Unity Asset Store as we've been artist deficient this entire project. There's a similar design scheme used for sure which I've seen in quite a few RPGs (probably why we went with it subconsciously).
    Where are you guys sourced out of, or are you developing the game as a group remotely?
  • Rogal_UrsonRogal_Urson Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Is it bad that any new game now that gets announced for Steam I wonder how long it will be before Epic announces it's coming to their platform?

Honestly, I think at this point, Epic needs to be target of a unfair trade practice lawsuit.
    RueTheWhirl

Limnic said:

Lonzo said:

Where are you guys sourced out of, or are you developing the game as a group remotely?

We're primarily in Pennsylvania but the team is remote. Mike, Bailea, and I are in the Philadelphia area. Dan's in Tampa. Xyla's in UK.

DAOWAce said:

Oh boy, it's someone's first game.

Grats to them, but man does it look rough.

This will be my second game, albeit without funds this time (and no artists currently). I was the producer for War for the Overworld during their Kickstarter and Steam Early Access launch. It gave me a lot of insight since then on how to approach projects, and many pitfalls that were made (plenty on my shoulders).

Programmer art and purchased assets only goes so far when trying to get a cohesive look without art clashing. Once we can launch, we'll be able to get the game to much higher standards. But we're continuing to clean Emberlight up substantially over the next few months. Plenty to do.
    SBFord[Deleted User]RueTheWhirl