Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open world vs. Sandbox games?

TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
Question:  What is the difference between an open world and a sandbox game?  Aren't they the same thing? Why are there two designations for the same thing?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2019
    Tell me one game developer that gets either right?
    I think the only titled genre that works is the Themepark one,go around clicking markers over npc heads,that is your ride,like buying tickets then spending them at the vendors with markers over their heads.

A developer can claim a Sandbox but it wouldn't contain much at all in way of sandbox tools.Besides a sandbox does NOT a game make,that is just the VERY basic core start of a game,the box,the world and nothing else.

Open world,well that is quite doable but usually or always we get linear game play,restrictions,basically NOT open world.Sometimes we get somewhere around a 30% open world game.

Even within the GROUP idea in mmorpg's,those are treated as instances,no interference from outside the group,so yeah devs failing all over the place is very common.Then people ask why i don't like the vast majority of games,>>>crappy clueless developers that can't make the type of games or systems they claim to be making.

Never mind the TITLE or genre,we can't even get HOUSING within the biggest profit mmorpg ,a CORE BASIC idea and it's not there,so yeah ask me again why i don't like many games,tons of crappy ,cheapo ,lazy developers.

Hawkaya399

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I think they started out the same but sandbox has been coopted by people who want crafting games with no content other than crafting, grinding, and an occasional big pvp battle.

At the same time open-world now seems to always include scaling.  The first time I heard people using these words were around FO 1 and 2, and used Darklands or the RoA trilogy as older, original example.  These games were designed as a "go anywhere, do anything" but had no scaling, and had content locked behind difficulty and ability.  Now, "go anywhere, do anything" really means it, and I think to the severe detriment of the term.

What I think is hilarious is that these original games where designed to be more "P&P" rpg as a quidding principle.  Prior they were either pure dungeon grindfests or on-rail mostly linear story narratives.  The developers stated they were going for a more open design where you have a blank book and make your own story.  The purpose of the P&P rpg is not in disputed - it is story creation, and this type of new design was supposed to try and emulate that.

The funny part is "open-world" games seem to have morphed into being narrative story dictating games, often with a pre-made and defined protagonist.  It went from trying to emulate P&P rpgs to blatantly being slightly interactive visual books or shows.  You passively watch a story with someone else's character instead of create a story with your own character(s).  

So, what I am saying is these words have morphed into not being related at all to their original meaning.  The epistimology is as useless as with the genre "rpg," or heavily used political words like racist, liberal, conservative, left, right, etc.  Its all just meaningless nonsense when you try and use reason and logic instead of just blindly accepting how the words are now used in the specific and exact context of the present regardless of original meaninging, definitions, or specific intent.  

TokkenHawkaya399
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Open World and Sandbox are descriptions that are compatable but not the same, you can have open world games that are sandboxes, or themeparks, WoW is an open world game after all, although MMO's are becoming heavily instanced, the majority of MMO's are 'open world', sandbox is more to do with what restrictions, are or are not placed upon the player in the game in terms of how they interract with the 'game world' and other players.  :/
    FlyByKnightConstantineMerusTokkenGdemamibcbullydragonlee66esc-joconnorAlBQuirkyScot
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If there was a "Best Answer" feature for regular posts on MMORPG, Phry would have it. Put some kind of green border around that. 
    TokkenGdemamidragonlee66
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited May 2019
    Open world - there is no restriction where you can go in the world, the world does not unfold for you -ie. after completing a quest, the new location opens up.

Sandbox - the game content consists of 'tools' rather than being narrated - ie. getting lvls, more powerfull gear, following up story, etc

The former is a subject of how you move around the world, the latter is what/why you do there.
    Ungooddragonlee66AlBQuirkyTokken
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     You will know it when are in a true sandbox, there are only a few ...imo

UO
     Eve
     SWG
      Wurm
      Ryzom

Open World is a term that really has little meaning anymore , Wow used to boast a seamless open world , and was a talking point for devs as well as players , but with tech advanced it matters little any more .. People call LOTRO an open world , and i would agree for the most part , and yet you will zone a dozen or more times in a nights play..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited May 2019
    Arterius said:
    To me an Open World game means that it will have a narrative.

A sandbox means you have to create your own fun.

I usually stay away from Sandboxes as they don't appeal to me.
    That's what it means to me as well. I prefer "Sandboxes."

But some people feel that there has to be a building component to a Sandbox and take the word sandbox literally.

Other people adopt the idea that it's "a sandbox" and you can do what you want/make your own fun. Obviously within the constraints of the game.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    LOLBOT got jealous of Phry response LOL'ed it, then LOL'ed me saying it was a good answer, then participated more in a response than they have in almost a decade. :D

esc-joconnorAlBQuirky
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    If there was a "Best Answer" feature for regular posts on MMORPG, Phry would have it. Put some kind of green border around that. 
    I think if they would have posted it as a question that would be possible.
  • daniel77daniel77 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Even within the GROUP idea in mmorpg's,those are treated as instances,no interference from outside the group,so yeah devs failing all over the place is very common.Then people ask why i don't like the vast majority of games,>>>crappy clueless developers that can't make the type of games or systems they claim to be making.
  • DandyyDandyy Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Arterius said:

Well said. But, as far as I remember, the Just Cause series has both open world narrative as you described and sandbox gameplay as well. 
    And where do I put games like this? Or Factorio? Or Besiege? Less narrative, more narrative... Who cares, it always involves player's will to explore. 
    But I have never played Minecraft which really fits your description. 
    Gdemami
  • Nelson-zbitNelson-zbit Newbie CommonPosts: 26
    I prefer open world than sandbox. Because you can become anything you have within such world.
    Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2019
    I prefer open world than sandbox. Because you can become anything you have within such world.
    WoW is an open world game, an epitome of game on rails where you certainly cannot become 'anything you want'...
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited September 2020
    blamo2000 said:
    I think they started out the same but sandbox has been coopted by people who want crafting games with no content other than crafting, grinding, and an occasional big pvp battle.

At the same time open-world now seems to always include scaling.  The first time I heard people using these words were around FO 1 and 2, and used Darklands or the RoA trilogy as older, original example.  These games were designed as a "go anywhere, do anything" but had no scaling, and had content locked behind difficulty and ability.  Now, "go anywhere, do anything" really means it, and I think to the severe detriment of the term.

What I think is hilarious is that these original games where designed to be more "P&P" rpg as a quidding principle.  Prior they were either pure dungeon grindfests or on-rail mostly linear story narratives.  The developers stated they were going for a more open design where you have a blank book and make your own story.  The purpose of the P&P rpg is not in disputed - it is story creation, and this type of new design was supposed to try and emulate that.

The funny part is "open-world" games seem to have morphed into being narrative story dictating games, often with a pre-made and defined protagonist.  It went from trying to emulate P&P rpgs to blatantly being slightly interactive visual books or shows.  You passively watch a story with someone else's character instead of create a story with your own character(s).  

So, what I am saying is these words have morphed into not being related at all to their original meaning.  The epistimology is as useless as with the genre "rpg," or heavily used political words like racist, liberal, conservative, left, right, etc.  Its all just meaningless nonsense when you try and use reason and logic instead of just blindly accepting how the words are now used in the specific and exact context of the present regardless of original meaninging, definitions, or specific intent.  

I agree. Open World means you go and typically do what you want. It's all in the word OPEN. It's more like what you'd expect a world to be. You're not forced down particular linear paths.  It exalts player agency--independent will. That's essentially what sandboxes are too. In both cases the player acts independently.

The problme is we don't have one term for everything. So open world is used to denote ability to freely explore the world as you desire. Sandboxes is used to denote ability to freely alter the world like it's sand and you're shoveling it--and as you say it's coopted by crafter types.

Skill-based character development is very similar. You're free to pick your attributes, skill and abilities. Unlike class-based designs, where you're guided down particular paths.

In story-based games, they sometimes will branch. This too is about freedom to act on your own.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • mncraftmodmncraftmod Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Dandyy said:
    Arterius said:

Well said. But, as far as I remember, the Just Cause series has both open world narrative as you described and sandbox gameplay as well. 
    And where do I put games like this? Or Factorio? Or Besiege? Less narrative, more narrative... Who cares, it always involves player's will to explore. 
    But I have never played Minecraft which really fits your description. 
    You should try minecraft it is an amazing game.