Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's hard to get involved with LOTRO, The model doesn't work for new players

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2017
    Tiller said:
    I think this guy just wanted to make a complaint thread for rep, seems to be a lot of that these days.
    Sound so, because it was really odd, as others already stated.

Community is not only the best out there, but as @Lithuanian mentioned it is also pretty spread-out, and people leveling alts very often. Lots of players also have alt characters "parked" on different level ranges, so it isn't uncommon even that when someone asks for a group, they log over just to help with an on-level (or closer-level) character.
    End-game players would always be able to supply with some stuff, be it lvl.20s crafted equipment, guidance through class or aid with quests.
    On the mentioned Laurelin there's even a weekly / bi-weekly event called Hobbit Market which is just about that, low level players show up and the hobbits gear them up in the best crafted gear for the actual level, included the best crafting tools for the profession and crafting tier :wink:

If you'd seek the community with a bit more success @SkyWlf77 , the first point (travel) would go away as well. Yep, the world IS huge, even with mounts. Bumping your character to VIP (and thus unlocking swift travel routes) helps, just as extra milestones and hurried traveller, but only for some extent - travelling through multiple zones can still take some time. You know, what helps really? Classes, and community.
    If your "attacker" is a hunter, or kid's "tank" is a warden, then problem solved, those classes can "teleport" around zones and take their groups with them. If not, there's community: just ask in chat you need a travel, and someone surely will help, either by jumping with you ("hunter taxi" :smiley: ) or summon you there (cappies can do that).

Your middle point is a valid one, though. LotRO is an old game, and like all games on the market it got easier over time. For the group quests and the dungeons you still need fellows, but otherwise you can solo your way to the cap, that is correct. Unless you join a slow level kinship, and play the hard way.

Still, I guess the community part was the real kicker in the beehive :smiley:  You can't find a more welcoming one, it is friendly and mature. A couple years ago there was a literature course which partly took place in LotRO, so a lot of totally fresh players, some never even played games before, were roaming all across the land, asking a lot, don't know what to do, you can imagine the drill. In most games (more toxic games) the players would've tear them a new one, trolling and mocking them, etc.  Instead of that, they've found a nice home in LotRO.
    Sorry, but "LotRO needs this type of community engagement with new players." was just totally off. LotRO has all of what you listed, and even more.

I think I also have to agree with the last line of @Viper482 :
    "And if you play MMOs to be "top 5" anything LOTRO is NOT your game, and NOT the community for you."
    Not even when raiders have a higher number, not even during the days of Radiance, was this a goal or a mentality for LotRO.
    The only place where you can see anything closely similar is the Ettenmoors (a separate pvp mode in LotRO), within the PvMP community, but even among them it isn't a "top 5" ranking kind of BS, since there are no charts or anything. It's more like a respectable / honorary mention, like "hey, who could give me some advice about my warg?" and then they drop in the names of a few really good warg players.

edit: @Warlyx the xp flow nowadays is so fast, that a player gets to 20 in a day... and can jump ahead a lot, doing half the starter zone, only Old Forest from Bree-land and it's 20 already. If someone gets bored that fast... I don't know what to say. Switch maybe to other starter zones, or doing North Downs instead of Lone-lands, or... no idea. So many xp on the lower regions that you can level 3 characters to 30 and never do the same quest a second time.
    [Deleted User]Viper482
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    SkyWlf77 said:
    1) Minor #1: The running. Holy cow. The world is huge, which is great for avoiding grinding, but not at all enjoyable when you have to run back and forth and all over the map over very long distances (compared to other MMO's). Quests that crossed from one area into another and back again felt like a bit of a chore. Unfortunately, I never really saw anything along the way while running that would break up the boredom, such as random things to kill or little caves to explore that weren't part of the questline. [For my wife, this would be a Major Issue as, in other games, we either bought a 2-player mount or she would use the "follow" command on my character and she just rode behind me until it was time to get involved because running bores her easily.]

Wow really?  We were having a conversation in World Chat yesterday that LotRO was one of those few games were when you set out to do something like just run to the quest giver it was so easy to get side tracked!  Nothing to do on the way?  Don't take a straight line, zig zag, kill stuff, turn on your crafting search feature and gather / mine stuff.  Yes if all you want to do is the quest PERIOD, Than sure it can be boring, but don't just do it, wander, knock out those exploration deeds.

2) Minor #2: The lack of need for 2 players through most of the leveling process. We play together always - me as the attacker and her as my "pocket healer" or support crew. In LotRO, however, the need for such a secondary player was completely missing. Soloing all the leveling content that we played was simple. In fact, my 10-year-old (who plays with us in a group in other MMO's for areas that require more than two people, usually as a "tank" class character) gave it a shot and managed to get bored to the point he refused to continue (which rarely happens with MMO's).

At the beginning levels you're correct, it's pretty much a solo game.  So jump ahead, do the stuff that's over your level.  If you have a group you need to challenge yourself.  Get to lvl 20 and start doing skirmishes at a higher level, you'll need that healer than.

3) Major Issue: The lack of community. The entire time we played, we saw only one other person in the leveling areas and saw absolutely no chat activity. We play MMO's for the community aspect, but that simply didn't exist here during leveling. In MMO's like Rift and Runes of Magic, there were always people in the low level zones - newbies just getting started or veterans rolling new characters. Here, it was a vast, empty wasteland. We felt that we were playing a single-player game the entire time. The community doesn't seem to do much to encourage new players to stay, which is quite sad.

Someone made a comment in World Chat yesterday about finally being able to use World Chat.  So there might be a anti-gold spammer feature there which would make you think you're all alone.  You still have Region chat, make sure all your input channels are on and say something like 'Hello' and see who answers.  There are 4 starting area's so new players are spread out.  Wait til you hit Bree where it all comes together and you'll start seeing people.  Also I guess there's a LotRO Discord channel where you'll find others.

The lack of community for newbies was the killing factor. 

There's a newbie / vet guild based in the Shire called The Bounders, very nice group.
    I have to wonder which starter zone you were in.  I've always seen players in the Shire, less in the Dwarf area, few in with the Elves and haven't done the Man one in ages.  I can see if you get the wrong one - people-wise you might think you're all alone.  Same goes for which server you were on.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    1. It's always been like this. Even before f2p
    2. There is nothing about the game that makes any of it impossible unless you are doing nothing but raiding. 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Whats wrong with the game for new players?

just create a character and enjoy the world and stories..
    spend some ocasional cash, or work hard for it in game..

This game is about the journey..
    gervaise1SovrathAgent_Joseph

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Myself i just expected more,i was a bit disappointed with LOTRO but not like it was a bad game or anything just not good at anything ,so i did not feel immersed to keep playing.
    I would imagine like most games,playing during release with the mad rush of people all around you adds a layer of excitement,but i see past the superficial,i see only what a game has to offer and how it delivers that content,so LOTRO was simply not good enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    btdt said:
    This week it's LotRO, next week it's MMO X... doesn't matter how many ways you try to spin it, it's still the same broken record.

If you were to transport yourself and all your friends from today back to 1999 and hop back in to one of your favorite hangout places, you'd still not be happy.  Why?  Because you've all changed.  It's not that the MMOs have changed so much as you have.  That is the one piece of the puzzle that you keep negating from your quest for utopia. 

But please, go ahead, and rephrase your same old same old thread topics as if somehow you are not repeating yourself.  

Imagine if you spent all this time looking for something new to do... something that didn't require a computer... imagine if all this time you could be having the time of your life doing something different instead of trying to do the same thing all the time.

Well, this is not true. 

I'm honestly searching for a classic, their are millions of us doing the same. EQ1, EQ2, DAOC, DDO, LOTRO, several others.

Sure I have a negative opinion. "Totally justified"..... If an automobile doesn't run right, it doesn't run right...... By saying it if it's true doesn't make you a negative person.  By repeating it over and over, that could be a different story.  Yes, it could be irritating.

Look several post down, where I did a review..... I tried hard to make it work !

Re-read the OP, it's all facts that this model can't work for new players unless you absolutely committed to suffer through a lot...... Honestly, no one is doing that !

You do realize this is your opinion right?????  It isn't fact that the "Model cant work for new players unless you absolutely committed to suffer through it" Just because you suffered through it doesn't mean every new player has...That's opinion bro....
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Wizardry said:
    Myself i just expected more,i was a bit disappointed with LOTRO but not like it was a bad game or anything just not good at anything ,so i did not feel immersed to keep playing.
    I would imagine like most games,playing during release with the mad rush of people all around you adds a layer of excitement,but i see past the superficial,i see only what a game has to offer and how it delivers that content,so LOTRO was simply not good enough.
    Did you ever return or do you base that off a decade old experience?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94
    As mmo's age so do we. The games are all the same, nothing really has changed, we simply age and grow. In other words, we get over it, doing and playing the same thing over and over and over.

Best thing to do is jump on a casual game once in a while and just play a few hours a day and get back to RL progression.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Landy has always been a welcoming/friendly server, unless you try to screw with RP'ers....then it gets frosty.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2019
    Gutlard said:
    Landy has always been a welcoming/friendly server, unless you try to screw with RP'ers....then it gets frosty.

Gut Out!
    It's not a matter if the community is friendly... I'm sure they are. BUT, no one NEW takes F2P seriously nor do they stick around long. Also if everyone is top heavy other than someone leveling an alt now and then it's empty.

Again, F2P is not taken seriously and very few stay and embrace the community.

This post is a year old, but I stand by what I say..... It takes a rare person to stick with a game like this.  Infact I've never seen anyone new stick with an old F2P game.

It's too easy whack-a-mole anyway.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited May 2019
    I'm sitting here at 5am completely gameless for both single player games and mmos.  I thought about Elex as a single player game, but decided, no it's broken and played the hell out of Vanilla WoW and need a long break.

So here I stand like thousands of us searching....searching....searching for a classic to play, always coming up empty.   

A good many of us would click on LOTRO and other mmos here, to see if anything changed, wishing for a miracle that never comes.  I'll sit here trying to figure out how to make LOTRO work and have some fun.  

It's impossible:
    - Free-to-play makes it impossible.
    - Easy solo makes it impossible.
    - A total "rally" is needed and this has to be generated by developers. 

In another discussion both Po_gg and Torval explain how to get a large-bang-for-your-buck.  It's true, you really can get a great deal, infact it's almost too good to be true, but what good is it if all the people are top level, no new people will ever stick around.

But theirs an unmistaken problem associated with playing this mmo !!!..... And thousands of us know it !!! 

If you take the deal, it still leaves you all alone.  No one else is taking the "deal" at the same time.  Your an individual all alone, playing a SOLO EXPERIENCE trying to figure out WHO HAS WHAT PACKAGE or are they playing a free demo ?..... Your still simply all alone. 

Some will say " I'm going for it, I'll embrace the community "........ It takes a rare person to really do this, infact I've never seen this actually happen, and I'm sure you haven't either.  It's simply too much hoop jumping that no one ever cares to endure.

It's impossible, free-to-play broke the game, easy broke the game !  The model doesn't work for new players
    Go play DDO, (Their Other Game) where there are more elitist TR junkies that will gladly carry you though some of the hardest early level content in the game faster then you can run to the end of the dungeon, just so you can give them the named loot, because they ransacked that chest 50 times already and STILL don't have the effing slippers.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Ungood said:
    I'm sitting here at 5am completely gameless for both single player games and mmos.  I thought about Elex as a single player game, but decided, no it's broken and played the hell out of Vanilla WoW and need a long break.

So here I stand like thousands of us searching....searching....searching for a classic to play, always coming up empty.   

A good many of us would click on LOTRO and other mmos here, to see if anything changed, wishing for a miracle that never comes.  I'll sit here trying to figure out how to make LOTRO work and have some fun.  

It's impossible:

In another discussion both Po_gg and Torval explain how to get a large-bang-for-your-buck.  It's true, you really can get a great deal, infact it's almost too good to be true, but what good is it if all the people are top level, no new people will ever stick around.

But theirs an unmistaken problem associated with playing this mmo !!!..... And thousands of us know it !!! 

If you take the deal, it still leaves you all alone.  No one else is taking the "deal" at the same time.  Your an individual all alone, playing a SOLO EXPERIENCE trying to figure out WHO HAS WHAT PACKAGE or are they playing a free demo ?..... Your still simply all alone. 

Some will say " I'm going for it, I'll embrace the community "........ It takes a rare person to really do this, infact I've never seen this actually happen, and I'm sure you haven't either.  It's simply too much hoop jumping that no one ever cares to endure.

It's impossible, free-to-play broke the game, easy broke the game !  The model doesn't work for new players
    Go play DDO, (Their Other Game) where there are more elitist TR junkies that will gladly carry you though some of the hardest early level content in the game faster then you can run to the end of the dungeon, just so you can give them the named loot, because they ransacked that chest 50 times already and STILL don't have the effing slippers.
    Funny..... That actually happened when I played it a few years ago. They run dungeons so fast it makes you head spin, not very enjoyable !!
    Ungood
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It is true that LOTRO would benefit greatly from making about 80% of the content available to ftp players. Quest packs cause instant uninstalls. Seeing there's about 6 expansions to buy causes instant uninstalls.

I wish they would do it. They don't seem to understand that populating the world encourages those that will pay for things to keep playing. Those that will only play for free.. will only play for free or uninstall. They will never get any money out of those people but having them around makes it a better experience for those that do pay for things.
    delete5230Gorwe
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Ungood said:

It's impossible:

Funny..... That actually happened when I played it a few years ago. They run dungeons so fast it makes you head spin, not very enjoyable !!
    Maybe I missed something, why aren’t you paying the sub and just joining an active guild?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Jenkz said:
    As mmo's age so do we. The games are all the same, nothing really has changed, we simply age and grow. In other words, we get over it, doing and playing the same thing over and over and over.

Best thing to do is jump on a casual game once in a while and just play a few hours a day and get back to RL progression.
    Seems that necro threads can be brought back to life though. This stuff is from 2017......
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    k61977 said:
    Basically sounds like a free to play rant to me.  The game is fine the way it is.  Does it have some issues with the lastest addition to the game, yeah and the devs are not really doing a great job at fixing it right the first time around but they do straighten it out most of the time in the long run.  And as for elex is isn't broken at all, plays just like every other rpg made by PB.  Just isn't your type of game if you think it is broken.  It isn't an ARPG which is where most are having issues, because that is how they try to play it.

Yet, no one new stays.  Everyone passes through like a free demo.

As with all games that went F2P, it's fine at the top end, infact it's great for them !
    The business model does kill the game if you don't sub.to it. Let's face it most of the mainstream audience of MMO's today just don't want to pay a monthly sub.fee. It might sound like it when you visit MMO sites like this one but it's not in the real world. People here will insult you and fight to the death about how everyone wants to pay a sub.fee. LOTRO is a rip off if you don't sub. 3 years ago I had all the expansions for the game. Yet to quest in certain lower level zones I also needed to buy quest packs. Buying an expansion without a max level character is a waste of money.
    Ungood said:

It's impossible:

They call it "Zerging" the dungeons where they try to do the dungeons as fast as possible for optimal EXP/Min runs, and will repeat high exp dungeons several times a day to grind out past lives, and these players have done these dungeons hundreds of times to the point they are not trying to beat the dungeon, but beat the clock on how fast they can do it.

If you are just there for the loot and exp, it totally rocks and helps you burn up the levels faster than you can imagine, if you were there to experience the dungeon and play the game for fun.. not so much.

But, DDO is not a casuals game. It's for the people that like 3.5 Edition D&D and have the tenacity to do some serious hardcore grinding and raiding.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited May 2019
    TLDR: Whaaa I don't have a game to play.
    It is true that LOTRO would benefit greatly from making about 80% of the content available to ftp players. Quest packs cause instant uninstalls. Seeing there's about 6 expansions to buy causes instant uninstalls.

I wish they would do it. They don't seem to understand that populating the world encourages those that will pay for things to keep playing. Those that will only play for free.. will only play for free or uninstall. They will never get any money out of those people but having them around makes it a better experience for those that do pay for things.
    Because.. everyone that did buy those all those quests packs or expansions will feel slighted. GW2 discovered that one when they made Core F2P, and the people that had bought Core got quite into the tizzy about it.

I have not played LotRO, but I have played DDo quite a bit (Same company) and in DDO, dumping a bunch of F2P players that just want a free game and everything handed to them does not help the game at all. In fact, when they did some revival a few years ago, I think it was some anniversary thing they had going on, also all the older players that  knew in game ran off to the Paid Content to get away from the swarm of F2P players coming in.

Truth is, the idea that these F2P bodies floating around a game help it, to be honest, I have not seen any truth to this. 

Again, this depends on the game, but DDO was not a game for the faint or weak player, so, in that case, if needing to invest in the game got people to uninstall, then it was best they installed, and those that remained where the right kind of people for that game, with the right mindset, that would do well in that game environment and be the best additions to the game overall. These would be the players that would fit in with the existing guilds, the existing groups, and by and large, be the most welcome to that community.

In a game that is all about population and just social events, like say something more like GW2, by all means, maybe the F2P was not a bad idea to just put bodies out there. 

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I bought the Lifetime sub a while before F2P happened, so I guess I dodged the bullet there. I've been able to buy all the expansions with the TP that's built up every month from that sub. Some of you sound like you're getting free, but complaining about not getting free++.

Nothing's really free, which is why when I hear about a game going F2P I immediately think of what things are going to be gimped for it...

If peeps have lots of patience/time then they can earn enough of whatever currency to get everything absolutely "free", but it wasn't really free right? Because those peeps are actually paying the most for free stuff with the most finite currency of time.

I've never been able to fully enjoy any F2P game I've tried and never expect to.

I guess I necroed this thread....ha

My bad. I just comment on posts that catch my interest.

Apparently peeps still have feels for it though, yikes!

Gut Out!
    Ungood

What, me worry?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    LOTR enjoys a reputation that I have seen posted by many, many players that it is one of the better older games and still quite enjoyable, including for new players. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Gutlard said:
    I bought the Lifetime sub a while before F2P happened, so I guess I dodged the bullet there. I've been able to buy all the expansions with the TP that's built up every month from that sub. Some of you sound like you're getting free, but complaining about not getting free++.

Nothing's really free, which is why when I hear about a game going F2P I immediately think of what things are going to be gimped for it...

If peeps have lots of patience/time then they can earn enough of whatever currency to get everything absolutely "free", but it wasn't really free right? Because those peeps are actually paying the most for free stuff with the most finite currency of time.

I've never been able to fully enjoy any F2P game I've tried and never expect to.

I guess I necroed this thread....ha

My bad. I just comment on posts that catch my interest.

Apparently peeps still have feels for it though, yikes!

Gut Out!
    Was a good necro.. missed that.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ungood said:
    Was a good necro.. missed that.
    Well shame on me. I didn't know it was a necro thread.
    Ungood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests