Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all those craving for sandbox games and community, please read this.

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,500
    edited May 8
    Scot said:
    Many people may not realize this, but you can play this game in VR. It's pretty cool actually piloting a spaceship.
    In VR with a well configured HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) controller, it's nothing short of amazing :)

I'm playing with a simple T-Flight HOTAS X, and my Pimax 8K headset.
    Setting up the HOTAS and voice command is whats keeping me from playing this game a lot more.
    Yeah you definitely need "Voice Attack" when in VR, you don't have enough buttons on any existing HOTAS, or you'd have to use modifiers (button combos) and it's a nightmare.

I have everything flight/combat related on the HOTAS, and more "casual" commands (landing gear, alternate input mode, galaxy map, etc...) using voice commands. Keep in mind that with a VR headset, you don't need keys to switch to the left and right UI elements, you just have to turn your head :)
    A picture just came into my head of a guy in a VR head set. "Attack!, Attack! Attack!, FFS Attack!" :) 
    Believe it or not, but Voice Attack is really good, specially if you keep it to short commands like "Landing Gear". But yeah, if you suddenly have a lot of noise in the room, like music, I guess that could happen :D

"Landing Gear"... "LANDING GEAR" ... "AAAAARGHHHH" (explosion sound) :D :D :D

I accomplish this with my keyboard just fine, thank you! I fat finger and mistype all the time :)

[edit]
    I know one of the posters here p[lays this a lot (phaserlight?) and I have been interested in scoping it out. Most of what I've seen is PvP, though. Not my thing. I'm glad some came in here to point out the exploration aspects. My interest is again piqued :)
    Jean-Luc_Picard

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,070
    What about games like Stardew Valley? Isn't that a community oriented sandbox MMO?
    Phry
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,080
    Scot said:
    Phry said:
    It is a really good game, i use a combination of keyboard and logitech flightstick (extreme 3d pro) which suits me perfectly, although i have to say that the game has significantly improved since the bbc micro! :p
    But is the gameplay any better? My first computer was the BBC Micro B, it played like a dream and I am not sure any space sim has flown or fought better since then. :)
    Get it on steam... it's only $25 (or wait for a sale). You'll find out yourself.
    I'd definitely playable on a monitor with mouse and keyboard, even though the best is VR with a dedicated controller.
    I have it, it is on my list of 16 games that I have not had the time to play yet. :)
    KyleranJean-Luc_PicardSovrath

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,352
    edited May 9
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Phry said:
    It is a really good game, i use a combination of keyboard and logitech flightstick (extreme 3d pro) which suits me perfectly, although i have to say that the game has significantly improved since the bbc micro! :p
    But is the gameplay any better? My first computer was the BBC Micro B, it played like a dream and I am not sure any space sim has flown or fought better since then. :)
    Get it on steam... it's only $25 (or wait for a sale). You'll find out yourself.
    I'd definitely playable on a monitor with mouse and keyboard, even though the best is VR with a dedicated controller.
    I have it, it is on my list of 16 games that I have not had the time to play yet. :)
    Yeah, I bought it as well, for about $15 on a Steam sale, but it too sits in the library of 10 or so games I've never broken the seal on.

I almost played it, one weekend I vowed to start, so I got everything ready, then watched a 30 minute video on how to fly and fight effectively with a mouse and KB.

Came to the conclusion there is no way I'd be able to do all of that while watching Netflix so set it aside again.

I avoid games or activities (like PVP) which require my full attention. ADD/ multi tasking,  it's a cross I bear.

;)
    Hatefull

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,080
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Phry said:
    Yeah, I bought it as well, for about $15 on a Steam sale, but it too sits in the library of 10 or so games I've never broken the seal on.

I almost played it, one weekend I vowed to start, so I got everything ready, then watched a 30 minute video on how to fly and fight effectively with a mouse and KB.

Came to the conclusion there is no way I'd be able to do all of that while watching Netflix so set it aside again.

I avoid games or activities (like PVP) which require my full attention. ADD/ multi tasking,  it's a cross I bear.

;)
    This is what I do the problem is you will never play such games if you are not careful. ED is a more recent purchase for me of a game that "Is going to take up too much of my time". But it will get played, this year more likely than the next. :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Game is great if you imagine your own meaningful content. I enjoyed it quite a bit in VR - but quickly realised that all those billions of star systems felt identical, and the handful of unique assets they've developed meant that you'll see pretty much everything there is to see after a few dozen hours of exploring the galaxy.

However, if you're not into content - and you just want to see a number get bigger - it's a very well executed set of mechanics.
    KyleranPhaserlightHatefull
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Only reason I'm not playing is I don't enjoy space dogfighting much. They did a fantastic job at that, but in the end... I did use it as a space simulator and that was pretty fun. But overall I prefer space economy simulators.
    Kyleranjimmywolf
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,060
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Phry said:

;)
    If you do exploration, you'll have a lot of time for Netflix on your second monitor ;)
    If you think you'll be non stop fighting, you're wrong. Many exploration or trading ships don't even have weapons.
    KyleranJeffSpicoliScotHatefull
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Has anyone played Vendetta Online? I'm wondering if it's a similar experience to Elite Dangerous. I don't know much about either, but I like that VO is cross platform with mobile, so I could play on my phone when not by my computer.
    Phaserlight

Mend and Defend

learis1 said:
    Has anyone played Vendetta Online? I'm wondering if it's a similar experience to Elite Dangerous. I don't know much about either, but I like that VO is cross platform with mobile, so I could play on my phone when not by my computer.
    I tried it on a tablet and just couldn't control my ship.....Theres a few people on the forum though that love the game.
    Phaserlight
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,941
    learis1 said:
    I tried it on a tablet and just couldn't control my ship.....Theres a few people on the forum though that love the game.
    I'm 38 and it's my favorite video game... ever (I just logged off a minute ago in a church parking lot). Also great in VR.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    What about games like Stardew Valley? Isn't that a community oriented sandbox MMO?
    Its a single player game, not a sandbox game, more of an RPG, there is now optional multiplayer, but its extremely limited. :o
    Phaserlight
  • WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 248
    edited May 10
    I started Elite Dangerous a couple of months ago.

The first thing you should know is that it has a substantial learning curve.  If you aren't the sort of person who enjoys learning - or if you're irritated about the need to read a Wiki - then this game isn't for you.  The learning curve extends beyond just the basic rules of the game and into the use of your controls, which may include a new HOTAS.  

Furthermore, the game has a massive world and it doesn't stop you from running off out into the inky blackness of space - further out than you should ever go - only to run out of fuel/air/resources and die.  If you rely on hand-holding and gated zones you aren't going to find that in Elite Dangerous.  It isn't a survival sim, its just there are no invisible walls to keep you from going into a zone that is way over your head.

Some nice features include: 
    1: The ENTIRE game is available in 3 modes: Open Play, Private Group, Solo which you can switch amongst with a simple relog.  If you don't want the dangers of PvP you and your friends can experience the entire game without ever the need to deal with that.  Again, content isn't hidden in a PvP zone - you get it all in each mode.

2: The game has some grind but as the game is all new to me I don't mind it.  It works best if you like to relax and enjoy the process.  I've found switching from a fantasy based MMORPG to a space based game was actually a refreshing change.

3: Exploration, Space Trucking, PvE, and Mining are all really good ways to make money such that if you're only interested in one you pretty much don't have to do any of the others.  You can spend 90% of the time just doing what you love.  For example, I enjoy fighting NPC space pirates and I've spent 90% of my time doing that with about 10% mining (for upgrades).

4: It has an items store but is entirely cosmetic.

There are some other interesting components as well, for example, you can turn Flight Assist (FA) to OFF which means the computer doesn't help you fly.  Most people don't do that, but if you're willing to spend weeks practicing how to fly you're rewarded with a slightly tighter turn ratio.  Same with gimbled vs. fixed weapons - fixed are harder to hit stuff with but do slightly more damage.  Both routes are completely viable and scale to what level of challenge interests you.

Anyways, I'm enjoying Elite Dangerous quite a bit.

If you do buy it get the pack that includes Horizons which would be the Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition.

Jean-Luc_PicardAlBQuirky
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 10
    Wargfoot said:

I started Elite Dangerous a couple of months ago.

Furthermore, the game has a massive world and it doesn't stop you from running off out into the inky blackness of space - further out than you should ever go - only to run out of fuel/air/resources and die.  If you rely on hand-holding and gated zones you aren't going to find that in Elite Dangerous.  It isn't a survival sim, its just there are no invisible walls to keep you from going into a zone that is way over your head.

I just want to add this game is so cool and has such a amazing player base their is a group of online players called "the fuel rats". They are group of ingame players ( a guild of sorts) thats sole purpose is to help players who run out of fuel or are stranded in deep space. I'll give you a quick breakdown of my experience , probably about a year or so ago with them. This is all a very vague memory as i was 5 or 6 beers deep, late on a Friday night which is probably how i ended up stranded in deep space to begin with....

So here I am doing my usual space trucking haul, It was late 2 maybe 3 am i was sucking down beers like a pissed off teenager and listening to talk radio , How or why or where i was when i ran out of fuel i could not tell you but this was definitely my first "O shit" moment in the game. Its not that i had a expensive ship but at that point i had no clue what happened when you died ingame and i sure as hell did not want to find out. 

I remember reading on the steam forums about a group of players called the fuel rats, they were my last hope. So i frantically alt tabbed out of game and googled fuel rats. To my surprise these guys were legit, they had a website and all. When i logged on there was a HELP TAB that pulled up a chat box like a customer service line for drunken pilots. Holy shit, this was a legit rescue team. Some dude responded to me in full roleplay. Again the memory of exactly what was said is vague but it was something to the effect of "Team 1 we have a stranded pilot in sector Alpha 183 ect ect" Another person in the chat box responded" This is fuel rat ect ect responding On my way" A series of back and forth questions were exchanged like a 911 call. This was without question one of the coolest experiences iv ever had in any game, So here is a salute to you, Fuel Rats, First  Responders of deep space who allow drunktards like me to pilot across the galaxy with reckless abandon . CHEERS ! 

Jean-Luc_PicardAlBQuirkySovrath
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited May 10
    As I said, community.
    Not forced community. Natural community.

There's no forced grouping in ED. People work together, help each other, because they want to, not because the game forces them to do it with artificial rewards.
    AlBQuirkyTorval
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,237
    I really want to get into Elite Dangerous but the start has been so daunting every time. I think last time I tried, I got past the tutorial missions, then started out accepted a mission, instantly got lost trying to get there, ran out of fuel and couldn't figure out where to go after that. 

I heard there was a revamped new user tutorial, is this true? 
    Yes there are tutorial systems you train all aspect of the game within those tutorial systems, then when you feel ready you fly out in the real galaxy.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    Phry said:
    Its a single player game, not a sandbox game, more of an RPG, there is now optional multiplayer, but its extremely limited. :o
    Ok I'd never played it just always heard that the community worked together in this game.
  • LikesCakeLikesCake Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    Albion Online and Eve hit this for me. Both are free, and Albion doesn't really require the premium subscription for anything important.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 456
    edited May 14
    kryntok said:
    Many people may not realize this, but you can play this game in VR. It's pretty cool actually piloting a spaceship.
    In VR with a well configured HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) controller, it's nothing short of amazing :)

Man I would love your setup /Wipe drool from keyboard

I heard the Primax has quite a few bugs. I'm sure its great sitting down. I'm not sure I would want it for anything else. I have a VR room (14x14) with an Oculus. Really cool with games like Skyrim.
    It works just as well as an occulus or a vive if you use one (for seated) or two (for room scale) vive lighthouses with it, it's 100% compatible. Vive controllers work too, I'm using my old set of Razer Hydra controllers which also work just fine.

The 180° FOV beats anything, you no longer see your virtual worlds through goggles. And the screen door effect is almost non existing too. I'm very happy to have kickstarted this and gotten it cheaper than a vive pro.

I owned a Pimax 4K before, still have it and it's already great for SDE but the "goggle" effect is just like the one of occulus or vive, bad, you see the worlds through binoculars. The product is good though, that's why I dared to kickstart the company for their new model with that awesome 180° FOV (200° maximum, but that kills my poor old 980ti).

I'm using it for race sims (Assetto Corsa), Elite of course, Skyrim VR (amazing! ) and many other non-vr games like WoW, Diablo or ESO thanks to the VorpX drivers which project them in real 3D, and also to watch 3D Blu-Ray on my own personal giant iMax screen.

Only drawback, you need a beast of a PC, 980ti / GTX 1070 minimum, to enjoy the full resolution of the headset.

@kryntok the T-Flight HOTAS X is cheap, you can find them for $50 nowadays.
    I've long wondered just how "real" vr is. I've never tried it. So do things far away actually look far away, or is there just an impression of distance, or a sort of relative distance? Is it like the holograms on cards? Distances exist, but they're relative, not true to life.

I'd pay to see what it's like, but I don't think it'd be profitable for arcades since a lot of people would just buy one if they liked it.

I bet youre having a blast. We're getting a taste of future VR. I remember seeing things about VR in the 1980's and people said it wouldn't go anywhere, and now it's going somewhere.

ED looks like an itneresting game for sure. I almost bought it on steam when ti's on sale, but I always hesitate because therer'e so many games I wnat to try and I rarely devote any time to the ones I already have.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,373
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Phry said:

;)
    Better than a bear you cross, I suppose.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,500
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Phry said:

;)
    Better than a bear you cross, I suppose.

Sings:
    Gladly, the cross-eyed bear...
    (old church song joke... Gladly, the cross I'd bear.)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,546
    Typical mmorpg's are giving us about a 40-50% effort,space games are lol,about a 10% effort.

So myself,i typically don't give space type games a single look ,i just already know how bad they will be.

To me gaming in it's various forms has proven that games are being popularized NOT because of the game but a couple superficial reasons.Like Eve is just a super cheap game,i am talking about it's release,nobody should have  been supporting that.So why did they?Ships in space,pvp,the whole world versus world idea Germany versus others,USA versus others,it became a sort of home to BRAG about your nation,yet the game was still a pile of rubbish.

Some people in these forums included,seem to think you have to like more than 50% of games or your some weirdo,if a game is crappy you still have to like it or your a game hater,yeah it tells me why so many bad games are supported,a LOT of weird people that have VERY low standards for games they like.Basically sell some plain popcorn in a fancy box and people will buy it,they are just that simple minded.

So no,i already looked at Elite Dangerous a long time ago,it's not a good game,the idea behind it is ok but we are not ready for it and neither are developers.Space games need about 3-5x the production when compared to a mmorpg,so unless your a really big developer,loads of money,300 man team,FORGET IT.It reminds me of VR games,total crap but people got suckered in buying VR headsets so feel the need to buy ANY game just to use them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,546
    Try  in about another 15-20 years,then MAYBE a giant developer can pull off a AAA Elite Dangerous game,not happening in 2019.
    Maurgrim

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Typical mmorpg's are giving us about a 40-50% effort,space games are lol,about a 10% effort.

So myself,i typically don't give space type games a single look ,i just already know how bad they will be.

To me gaming in it's various forms has proven that games are being popularized NOT because of the game but a couple superficial reasons.Like Eve is just a super cheap game,i am talking about it's release,nobody should have  been supporting that.So why did they?Ships in space,pvp,the whole world versus world idea Germany versus others,USA versus others,it became a sort of home to BRAG about your nation,yet the game was still a pile of rubbish.

Some people in these forums included,seem to think you have to like more than 50% of games or your some weirdo,if a game is crappy you still have to like it or your a game hater,yeah it tells me why so many bad games are supported,a LOT of weird people that have VERY low standards for games they like.Basically sell some plain popcorn in a fancy box and people will buy it,they are just that simple minded.

So no,i already looked at Elite Dangerous a long time ago,it's not a good game,the idea behind it is ok but we are not ready for it and neither are developers.Space games need about 3-5x the production when compared to a mmorpg,so unless your a really big developer,loads of money,300 man team,FORGET IT.It reminds me of VR games,total crap but people got suckered in buying VR headsets so feel the need to buy ANY game just to use them.

I tried Eve two seperate times..Once on a free trial and once after it went f2p....Both times I remember thinking "people actually pay for this?" You didn't even have an avatar or anything, just a ship with point and click space.
    edited May 15
    kryntok said:

Man I would love your setup /Wipe drool from keyboard

I heard the Primax has quite a few bugs. I'm sure its great sitting down. I'm not sure I would want it for anything else. I have a VR room (14x14) with an Oculus. Really cool with games like Skyrim.
    It works just as well as an occulus or a vive if you use one (for seated) or two (for room scale) vive lighthouses with it, it's 100% compatible. Vive controllers work too, I'm using my old set of Razer Hydra controllers which also work just fine.

The 180° FOV beats anything, you no longer see your virtual worlds through goggles. And the screen door effect is almost non existing too. I'm very happy to have kickstarted this and gotten it cheaper than a vive pro.

I owned a Pimax 4K before, still have it and it's already great for SDE but the "goggle" effect is just like the one of occulus or vive, bad, you see the worlds through binoculars. The product is good though, that's why I dared to kickstart the company for their new model with that awesome 180° FOV (200° maximum, but that kills my poor old 980ti).

I'm using it for race sims (Assetto Corsa), Elite of course, Skyrim VR (amazing! ) and many other non-vr games like WoW, Diablo or ESO thanks to the VorpX drivers which project them in real 3D, and also to watch 3D Blu-Ray on my own personal giant iMax screen.

Only drawback, you need a beast of a PC, 980ti / GTX 1070 minimum, to enjoy the full resolution of the headset.

@kryntok the T-Flight HOTAS X is cheap, you can find them for $50 nowadays.
    I've long wondered just how "real" vr is. I've never tried it. So do things far away actually look far away, or is there just an impression of distance, or a sort of relative distance? Is it like the holograms on cards? Distances exist, but they're relative, not true to life.
    VR is binocular 3D, aka real 3D. You see the imaginary landscape like you see a real landscape.
    It's also awesome to watch 3D blu-rays, way better than any 3D TV can do.

Biggest issue is the "screen door effect", which is the mesh of the leds which is visible over the picture because of the limited resolution of first gen headsets, but that tends to be less and less noticeable as the resolution per eye increases.

Second biggest issue is that on most headsets, you see the world like you would through binoculars because of the limited field of view, which is also mostly eliminated in the new generation of headsets with horizontal FOV of over 180° and vertical over 110°, which is closer to human vision.