Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gpu advice please.

HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
edited May 2019 in Hardware
I’m not up to date on anything computer related anymore.   My sapphire R9 fury died on me today.  Psu is a Seasonic platinum 550 is my best guess. No wattage written on the side or back indicating.  Could be a bit higher. I just know when I bought it from talking on here it was more than enough.   I know that’s bad to say was just in the middle of Remote streaming to my tv and I guess it just died. Fans don’t spin up on start up. It does have a little button on it that does light up.just trying for best bang for buck $200-250 range.  Thank you.   I’ve had great advice in the past from members here.  Never been steered wrong. Even though I don’t spend much time on here. It was the only place I could think of to ask where I’ve always been given great advice and always worked out above my expectations.  My guess is just leaving it on for a year or two did it in. 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited May 2019
    Bad timing, AMD's Navi is coming out in July-Aug sometime, they usually are very competitive in that price range and Navi is supposed to give Nvidia fits.  I would suggest an RX-580 or 590 for your price range,  Nvidia stuff is above the $250 price range for the most part for something similar to your R9 Fury.   I am not a big Nvidia fan atm, they are price gouging the market and the AMD cards have more memory.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    I'd try reseating everything that touches the GPU and see if that fixes the problem.  Pull the card out of the PCI Express slot and plug it back in.  Pull out the PCI-E power connectors (from both ends--the GPU end and the power supply end) and plug them back in.  Unplug the monitor and plug it back in.  Manually spin the fans a bit yourself to make sure they're not stuck.  Then try powering on the system again.  You could also try using different PCI-E power cables, a different PCI Express slot, and so forth, just in case something else is the problem.  It probably won't work, but once I had a video card that seemed like it was failing, but was really just coming loose in a slot, and that fixed it.

Anything you can get new on that budget is probably going to be a downgrade from a Fury.  Either a GeForce GTX 1660 or a Radeon RX 590 would be only a slight downgrade.  But it's surely annoying to have to pay $200+ for a downgrade.  On a larger budget, you could get a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti or Radeon RX Vega 56 for under $300 and have a modest upgrade over your old card.  But it's your money, so it's your decision on how much to spend.

As Ozmodan said, Navi, AMD's next architecture, is coming soon.  AMD has officially said that it's going to launch in Q3 of this year.  If you were just vaguely thinking about upgrading, then you may want to wait for Navi.  But if the old card is dead and now you don't have a gaming rig, you probably don't want to wait.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I pulled everything minus trying new connectors.  I don’t think my motherboard  has another pci e slot.  I’ll have to look a bit closer. In a few minutes. Just woke up.   
     I did unplug everything put it all back in.
     I don’t think I have a spare gpu at my house. Might have an old one at my moms. 
    i used the onboard gpu to go in once and try installing new drivers.  Also looked at device manager and it didn’t seem to list the gpu

I might have a gtx 660 or 670 at my moms. If I do. I’ll just use it until the new stuff comes out.  

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Unfortunately, you won't do much better than an RX Fury right now so...
    I had to do the same thing when one of my GPUs died. Use an HD5870 until something better comes along.
    The problem is that while by now, there are video cards that are a lot faster than a Fury, they also cost quite a lot of money.  Nvidia has now decided that this is what their top of the line should cost:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814132084

And even a cut down version, the GeForce GTX 2080 Ti, is $1200.  And the next GPU chip down from there is $700, for what isn't even their current high end.

One problem is that AMD isn't competitive at all at the high end right now.  Nvidia can charge whatever they want, and gamers have to either pay it or do without.  And apparently are mostly choosing to do without.  Rumors say that the first Navi cards aren't going to be high end, either, but they might bring the price tag for a given level of performance down considerably.
    Ridelynn
    found an 7770. so the slot works tried new power cables from the psu. No dice. I don't game much anymore.  Just stream stuff remotely from my pc to the tv.  I'll wait for the new batch of cards to come out and see what is what in a few months.  Ya'll are awesome as always.  I'll definitely pop back in when I see the new stuff has released. Was a bit shocked to see the fury held up so well after all this time.
    Ridelynn
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    If you don't game much any more, then you don't really need the new GPU to be an upgrade?

You could just buy something like RX 570. Many of those cost less than $150 and are fine for gaming as long as you don't want to max out all graphic settings.
    RidelynnOzmodan

edited May 2019
    That’s true. Basically why I’m going to wait for next version of cards to come out. The 7770 I think it is is doing what I need it to.  I couldn’t find the 660 pr 670. I forget which on it was. 670 I think.  
    edited May 2019
    Tossed around the idea of a used 980 ti off of ebay.  There are several for $200-230, some from what looks like reputable businesses. Backed by eBays item policy  or whatever it is.  Looks like slight increase over the fury and I don’t game much at all anymore but would still like to keep this pc capable of doing so or whatever. 
    Hulluck said:
    Tossed around the idea of a used 980 ti off of ebay.  There are several for $200-230, some from what looks like reputable businesses. Backed by eBays item policy  or whatever it is.  Looks like slight increase over the fury and I don’t game much at all anymore but would still like to keep this pc capable of doing so or whatever. 
    I wouldn't.  It's not that much faster than a brand new GeForce GTX 1660 or Radeon RX 590 that you could get for the same price.  And a used card with several years of wear on it would likely be a lot less reliable than the new card.

Furthermore, a lot of the GPUs that you could find used spent about a year of their life mining Ethereum around the clock.  That's not good for reliability, either.  Certainly, a lot of GPUs didn't, but you don't know which ones did and which didn't.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    900 series can't use Freesync either.
    Good points it was just a random thought.  On the list of wants this is pretty low in the pecking order.  Thank y’all very much for the advice.