Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Investigating Plagiarism Charges with Its Tabletop Elsweyr Game - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBethesda Investigating Plagiarism Charges with Its Tabletop Elsweyr Game - MMORPG.com

If you were hoping to get a head start on your Elsweyr adventures by playing the pen-and-paper version of the Elder Scrolls game, you may have to wait a bit longer. Dungeons & Dragons writer Paige Leitman has launched a charge of plagiarism against the company in part thanks to a tweet about a PnP campaign being run by a Bethesda Netherlands group. Leitman compares an original 2016 D&D adventure of hers called "The Black Road" with the campaign being run by employees.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well that's awkward. D:
    gervaise1Asm0deuscentkinTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited May 2019
     :o quote:

The only thing official about this is that someone at TESOnline heard about some employees at Bethesda NL playing a modified DnD 5e one-shot, thought it was cool and shared it. The guy who "created" it (by simply changing some wording of an existing campaign) most likely didn't expect it to get out of his playing circle. I mean, the link was a dropbox folder. Bethesda didn't spend time and resources and then "publish" an RPG pretending it was theirs. Whoever was in charge of the TESOnline twitter account thought he was sharing something cool. Sure it's embarrassing but that's about it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/bma5p6/bethesdas_latest_elder_scrolls_adventure_taken/emvc260

JeffSpicoli

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Woops.
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I love how the first piece of legal controversy surrounding eso is tied to bethesda and not ZO

Dragnelus said:

The only thing official about this is that someone at TESOnline heard about some employees at Bethesda NL playing a modified DnD 5e one-shot, thought it was cool and shared it. The guy who "created" it (by simply changing some wording of an existing campaign) most likely didn't expect it to get out of his playing circle. I mean, the link was a dropbox folder. Bethesda didn't spend time and resources and then "publish" an RPG pretending it was theirs. Whoever was in charge of the TESOnline twitter account thought he was sharing something cool. Sure it's embarrassing but that's about it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/bma5p6/bethesdas_latest_elder_scrolls_adventure_taken/emvc260

Yep, and I think that it's also cool that the author of the D&D campaign is laying low and letting things play out. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    NVM im stupid it's not even legal action my apologies.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Dragnelus said:

When I saw the news yesterday I was wondering since when does Bethesda/Zenimax release tabletop stuff but didn't really look further.

Turns out it's just an internal homebrew D&D campaign and journalists acted like it was some officially released stuff because they were able to put their hands on it. Wow! That's a whole new level of intelligence dice check failure or creating fake news to get page clicks.
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Nothing to see here just another slimey journalist trying to stir the shit pot
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Aren't you the chirpy little ray of sunshine on a dark Thursday morning. LOL! Thanks for your pithy commentary. ^^
    BlueThunderBearAmathe

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    SBFord said:
    Aren't you the chirpy little ray of sunshine on a dark Thursday morning. LOL! Thanks for your pithy commentary. ^^
    For the record that comment wasn't directed at YOU, Sorry if you are offended though but Journalism as a whole has really lost alot of credibility & integrity across all platforms the past few years.   :'(
    SBFordAlomarazarhalalkarionlogUngood[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2019
    That was uncalled for Jeff, it is not as if their was no evidence of a blooper. But that's all it is, they have not released it, but my guess it that was their eventual intention.

We know that writers don't get the look in that they should in gaming, but table-top does not usually have this issue. If this were a computer game I would say the non-writer they employed to do the writing did a copy and paste hash of someone else's work. But for table top you expect better than that and nearly always get it.

P.S. Ok I see what you mean the whole thing is rather pot stirring, but someone thought they could do what they did at University, mix up someone else's essay they found online and pass it off as their own work. :)
    SBFord said:
    For the record that comment wasn't directed at YOU, Sorry if you are offended though but Journalism as a whole has really lost alot of credibility & integrity across all platforms the past few years.   :'(
    No I wasn't offended and, truth be told, I agree with you. :) I was just feeling peckish. <3
    JeffSpicoli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    ArsTechnica doing what it does best, be as vague as possible to get the most reaction and then refine it later. Their opening still makes it sound it's an official Bethesda product. Gotta get that click-bait.
    JeffSpicoli
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    /rolls a 20 sided die.

An ogre hits you with a plagiarism bat!
    Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Someone decided to put on their big boy pants today
    JeffSpicoli
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tweet comes across as hedging. They could have said that as per their terms: You may not contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit any UGC that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret law or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property rights.

So maybe the hedge is whilst they ponder whether they can sue for ownership of the adventure. As the Reddit thread says this is the company that tried that sued about Mah-Jong using the word scrolls ffs!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Anyone remember when Bethesda acquired Fallout they ruined a small company that put years and all their money into making a licensed Fallout P&P version legally just because they are huge dicks and evil mega-corporation bullies?  

Its good to see them get a very, very way too small taste of their own medicine regardless of where and how it comes.  I hope for a lot more of it that does real damage.

Screwing the little guy because you can isn't cool and never has been, and that so many people are willing to overlook or not care about the complete bullshit these corporations do just because you like the games they make is really troubling.  
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    blamo2000 said:
    Anyone remember when Bethesda acquired Fallout they ruined a small company that put years and all their money into making a licensed Fallout P&P version legally just because they are huge dicks and evil mega-corporation bullies?  

Its good to see them get a very, very way too small taste of their own medicine regardless of where and how it comes.  I hope for a lot more of it that does real damage.

Screwing the little guy because you can isn't cool and never has been, and that so many people are willing to overlook or not care about the complete bullshit these corporations do just because you like the games they make is really troubling.  
    Sure, but wishing trouble from fake news is more than just blissful thinking... it sounds like pure hatred on your part.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Hashbrick said:
    blamo2000 said:

Sure, but wishing trouble from fake news is more than just blissful thinking... it sounds like pure hatred on your part.
    I don't specifically hate Bethesda.  If they make a game I am interested in I will try it.  I fully admit it would make me extremely happy if a little guy was able to hurt Bethesda as much as Bethesda purposefully, needlessly, and maliciously ruined that little guy P&P rpg developer.  If you define my wish for karma to bite Bethesda in the ass as pure hatred, that's fine with me as long as you are consistent with applying that definition to others as well.  

It bothers me a tremendous amount that so many people have ridiculous double standards when it comes to game companies they like.  So, so many people I've seen cry about the evils of corporations not say a word or even defend companies like Bethesda when they clearly do some evil shit.  I don't get it.  

I also try to be consistent myself.  I like most of the recent games from Obsidian and want them to do well and continue to be one of the few companies that makes games I actually like.  I am not a fan of the games Chris Avallone is popular for.  But, regarding the drama that came out between the two I 100% side with Chris and against Obsidian,
  • BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I feel like this is a case of someone being proud of something they've done and wanting to use it. The problem is they have effectively sold that work and have no right to it. So a case of apologize, remove offending material and be more careful with your creative talents. do you want to use it in a pnp campaign or pay your bills. One or the other, not both since someone is literally giving you money for those ideas and concepts.
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,129
    Sounds more like a situation that could have stayed within the company and not be shared to the public for all of us to needlessly scrutinize.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013