Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest missed opportunity: No Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) remake or classic servers

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Ungood said:
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

But.. To each their own eh?
    To each their own...yet you assert and agree with @Wizardry that very few people can differentiate between good game design and fun...If a game is FUN, it is a good design by definition. Don't we play games to have fun? I do, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but I know a few people that play games for fun. 

If it's not fun, and you aren't getting paid to do it, and it's not a favor for a friend or family member...why the fuck would you do it?

Whelp, I guess I better go play this shitty game and have a miserable time because there is just nothing else to do.

Does that make any sense to you? If people play a game and enjoy it, it's good game design. Now an argument can be made that some games are designed better than others, ergo they attract larger crowds but at the end of the day, if people like the game and enjoy it, then it was designed well despite what you and the complainer have to say.

You are vastly misrepresenting what I said.. but I lack the give-a-shit to correct you. so.. yah.. keep on keeping on I guess.
    I can only take what you said at face value, what else could it mean? Or were you strictly speaking to breakfast foods and everything else has to be your way or the highway? I am not clear on what you are getting at.

My point was, and is, if a game is fun, and the people playing it are having fun, then how is it poor design? If you "don't give a shit" then why are you even in this thread?
    Well, loving the additional assumptions.. but look, if you didn't read what I said the first time, where I explained all this, why should I bother to say it again?

So keep on keeping on I guess.. 
    So I hit the nail on the head and you realize your position is fragile based on opinion and not fact...so you fold. Gotcha.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited April 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thane said:
    Havent played, and not interested in the concept. Sorry. *shrug*

I like the idea of PvP, but players should come up with competing groups by themselves.

Also dont like being restricted in my race choices. I want to be free to play all races and classes, thank you very much.

yea, but they won't. if there are no realms, players will just form a goon squad and gank everything in sight. happened every time so far they had the chance. the russians seem to be epecially good at mass ganking as it seems.
    Even with realms DAOC always struggled with imbalances and zerging.  MJ has said 'this time" it will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Besides, there is a good chance they'll restrict access with regional servers as they did with DAOC in the early days. (EU and Japanese as I recall.)

Well, when they switched from Old Frontiers to the New Frontiers, it created viable RvR for groups smaller than 8 mans. Heck, even a 2 man team could take towers. Sometimes all it takes is tweaks in the game mechanics and you can open up a whole new form of playstyle for people to enjoy. While I hated Trials of Atlantis and the relics that came with it, I actually enjoyed the New Frontiers over the Old Frontiers.

And you feel 2 players should be able to take towers? smh.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited April 2019
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Well, loving the additional assumptions.. but look, if you didn't read what I said the first time, where I explained all this, why should I bother to say it again?

So I hit the nail on the head and you realize your position is fragile based on opinion and not fact...so you fold. Gotcha.
    No.. we are on page 4, I addressed your very points on page 2. Correction, I  addressed your Points on Page 3 ! now, If you want to cling to your ignorance so much so you can't even read my posts on the previous page, I am not going to stop you.

Got it.

Post edited by Ungood on
    Hatefulljimmywolf
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I've never played DAoC, so I would honestly have zero interest.
    HatefullAdamantine
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited April 2019
    Ungood said:
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:

No.. we are on page 4, I addressed your very points on page 2. Correction, I  addressed your Points on Page 3 ! now, If you want to cling to your ignorance so much so you can't even read my posts on the previous page, I am not going to stop you.

Got it.

lol, do YOU even remember what you wrote? lol.
    Post edited by Hatefull on

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited April 2019
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:

Got it.

lol, do YOU even remember what you wrote? lol.
    Really? Do you need me to hold your hand here? Do you need to me quote myself again, just for you? Do you really need me to carry you like that?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I'd rather see a sequel.
    Slapshot1188
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    SlyLoK said:
    I'd rather see a sequel.
    Exactly.  People always point to old games still running and ask "If they were so great why aren't you playing them now?"

Well, because even doing something great over and over for a decade can grow boring!

DAoC was IMHO the greatest MMORPG ever created...

But it's been 18 years...  a true sequel would be fantastic.  Updated graphics, netcode, UI... a fresh take on the game.  THAT is my dream game.

SlyLoKViper482

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Hatefull said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Everyone has their favorite cereal. Too bad everyone else feels the need to piss it.
    Nahh.. if you are still eating the Super Sugar Cotton Candy Puffs, I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

If you haven't had them in 10 years and tell me they were the best cereal ever, and how you and your friends use to eat bowls and bowls till you saw spots from sugar overdose.. please understand.. I am not going to buy into your little reminisce fantasy. 
    Lucky charms still is the best cereal ever. Deal with it.
    Do you still enjoy a bowl of it every morning? 
    I don't eat breakfast and avoid carbs most of the time, but when I do have cereal you bet it's lucky charms!

Doesn't matter if it's been 20 years it still tastes amazing.
    Well, regardless if we agree or not, if that is what you think is the best, by all means, enjoy.

Nowadays I fill up on eggs, toast, sometimes a steak, and a bowl of assorted fruit for breakfast, with 2 cups of coffee to wash it down and an extra thermos for the road... I don't think I could ever go back to any of the Cereals of my youth.

But.. To each their own eh?
    To each their own...yet you assert and agree with @Wizardry that very few people can differentiate between good game design and fun...If a game is FUN, it is a good design by definition. Don't we play games to have fun? I do, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but I know a few people that play games for fun. 

If it's not fun, and you aren't getting paid to do it, and it's not a favor for a friend or family member...why the fuck would you do it?

Whelp, I guess I better go play this shitty game and have a miserable time because there is just nothing else to do.

Does that make any sense to you? If people play a game and enjoy it, it's good game design. Now an argument can be made that some games are designed better than others, ergo they attract larger crowds but at the end of the day, if people like the game and enjoy it, then it was designed well despite what you and the complainer have to say.

Not always fun.  I would say a good game may not be fun but interesting and engaging.  It is like watching a drama historic may not be fun watch.  The subject can be interesting and intriguing. 

I have played games that are fun but also got old real fast.  
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Wizardry said:
    I lasted about 2 hours in DAOC,i thought it looked old and didn't like the gameplay.I remember very little about it,a few things turned me off that i remember but mostly right away the character selection/class selection was lol.

So no i don't want a daoc or anything like it.I want no pvp in ANY of my rpg's,it is not healthy for the community or the game.The only place i want to pvp is in an arena fps nowhere else.

Maybe one day when we have REAL VR and not this constant lol crap they keep trying to market us,maybe then pvp would be cool but even then the reasons why it is no cool in rpg's would still remain so no.
    If you could not find a class that fit you in this game then nothing satisfies you which now makes so much sense.  And looked old?  Your favorite goto is FFXI which barely looks like a PS2 game and a UI that makes one want to stab their eyes out with a spoon so the complaints make no sense there.  You did not even get to the core game which was the RvR.
    A lot of the classes in DAoC were weird, so half of them were complete showstoppers to most people. There's a difference between having lots of good classes (EQ2) and a bunch of niche/terrible classes (DAoC)  
    KyleranSlyLoK
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:
    I lasted about 2 hours in DAOC,i thought it looked old and didn't like the gameplay.I remember very little about it,a few things turned me off that i remember but mostly right away the character selection/class selection was lol.

So no i don't want a daoc or anything like it.I want no pvp in ANY of my rpg's,it is not healthy for the community or the game.The only place i want to pvp is in an arena fps nowhere else.

Maybe one day when we have REAL VR and not this constant lol crap they keep trying to market us,maybe then pvp would be cool but even then the reasons why it is no cool in rpg's would still remain so no.
    If you could not find a class that fit you in this game then nothing satisfies you which now makes so much sense.  And looked old?  Your favorite goto is FFXI which barely looks like a PS2 game and a UI that makes one want to stab their eyes out with a spoon so the complaints make no sense there.  You did not even get to the core game which was the RvR.
    A lot of the classes in DAoC were weird, so half of them were complete showstoppers to most people. There's a difference between having lots of good classes (EQ2) and a bunch of niche/terrible classes (DAoC)  
    There's a difference between having a bunch of good looking (in my case), talented players (DAOC) vs a bunch of players who are slacking ne'er do wells (EQ2)

:D
    Viper482

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:

I thought the classes were good but my two favorites got nerfed lol, smite cleric and Thane.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:

I thought the classes were good but my two favorites got nerfed lol, smite cleric and Thane.
    Ahh you were there during the chain wizzy days, silly, cleric's were primary healers, you want to cast amazing damage join the rest of the cloth casters.

Besides, theuris ruled, one of my most favorite classes, right after the Skald.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Err, you just held up Lineage 2, a game which permitted ganking as an example.
    What the frak ?

I did not "held it up", I mentioned an element of it.

I didnt liked most of Lineage 2, but castle sieges rocked hard as a concept.

Seriously, if I mention WoWs battlegrounds next, does that mean you think I would praise WoW ?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Exactly.  People always point to old games still running and ask "If they were so great why aren't you playing them now?"

Well, because even doing something great over and over for a decade can grow boring!

DAoC was IMHO the greatest MMORPG ever created...

But it's been 18 years...  a true sequel would be fantastic.  Updated graphics, netcode, UI... a fresh take on the game.  THAT is my dream game.
    Sigh.

Wished Vanguard would still be running so I COULD play it.

Theres no true successor to that one even at the most distant horizont.

And yes of course I've taken a close look to Pantheon. Sure I could live with most of it. But the simplistic, Guild Wars style classes, well I understand why a small team cannot recreate Vanguard classes in their depth but still thats the element I miss most of Vanguard.

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    You will soon discover that even WoW's reboot of classic will be nothing like the classic that it once was.

You are against private servers and yet, those are as close to playing the old game as you can ever get.  If it is truly the game you miss... it's already out there.

But I suspect that the real reason you don't is because of the same reason everyone stopped playing it in the first place.

Nostalgia is fleeting... there is no bigger letdown than to find that your expectations can never be met.

The players who played back then are long gone.  The ones that still remain are likely approaching their 50's.  If you truly love the game, you'd be on the private servers.  But you already know it can't be the same because you are not the same.
    Ungood
    Kyleran said:
    Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:

Ahh you were there during the chain wizzy days, silly, cleric's were primary healers, you want to cast amazing damage join the rest of the cloth casters.

Roles are meant to be broken.  Why have spec for damage and can't damage people?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    That was the beauty of DAOC... the factions had different classes that made them very different from each other.   Yeah the trade was imbalance but I will take that every time.
    Viper482Phrytweedledumb99

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:

Roles are meant to be broken.  Why have spec for damage and can't damage people?
    It's not about it being able to damage, it's about how much damage it does.  EQ clerics had damage spells, but they weren't topping the DPS chart.  There is a balance for every class, between healing, damage, utility.  Clerics are high heals, medium utility, low damage.  They were not designed to be top tier PvP threats from a damage perspective.

Why it was nerfed is beyond obvious, and your rhetorical question is... well... rhetorical - at least to most of us.
    Kyleran
    That was the beauty of DAOC... the factions had different classes that made them very different from each other.   Yeah the trade was imbalance but I will take that every time.

Lol.  That's a cute meme, but an absolutely awful way to look at things.  Imbalance works both ways.  Classes are OP, and classes are UP.

Not everyone is so filthy casual that they can completely overlook their class being trailer trash simply because "diversity is good in the game, these days."

Developers have to keep things manageable.

If that means coming out wiht fewer classes, which are easier to balance, and then slotting in more later on (expansions, content patchers, etc.) after you've made sure things are stable - that is probably what you should do.
    Ungood
    edited May 2019
    Darksworm said:
    Kyleran said:
    Darksworm said:
    Wizardry said:

It's not about it being able to damage, it's about how much damage it does.  EQ clerics had damage spells, but they weren't topping the DPS chart.  There is a balance for every class, between healing, damage, utility.  Clerics are high heals, medium utility, low damage.  They were not designed to be top tier PvP threats from a damage perspective.

Why it was nerfed is beyond obvious, and your rhetorical question is... well... rhetorical - at least to most of us.
    If you give up healing and buffing for damage then shouldn't you do damage to balance out the lack of healing and buffing?  Clerics were never topping out in damage. They had decent damage, ok buffs and healing and one good pbaoe mez.  People just hated that it allowed a healer to be able to PVP.  

Humans are so wired into dogma it is crazy.  Healers must heal.  Yeah that damage pool uh don't use it you are a healer.  Don't think a damaged spec healer should be able to compete with damage spec characters.  Same thing with shadow priest you had people screaming you must heal.
    Post edited by Vermillion_Raventhal on
    Kyleran
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SlyLoK said:
    I'd rather see a sequel.
    Well there is ESO's PvP - which feels a lot like DAoC; which is no surprise given that Matt Frior is at the helm of ESO. Wizards teleporting you, siege weapons, keep capture, guards spawning etc. And there is a Darkness Falls equivalent as well in Imperial City. And no cooldown on ability really comes into its own (your power pool burn down being what stops infinite casting).
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Must not been very well liked. Even Asheron's Call has private servers and that game was a ton less populated than DAOC. At its peak AC only had 100k subs (which was a lot back then). 

<snip>
    The highest number I recall for DAoC was 250k but it clearly fell back post-WoW. I remember Mark James responding to people criticising DAoC staff being laid off  - a few months after WAR was launched - with the blunt comment: its either the lay-offs or close DAoC. Apparently DAoC financially was losing money but MJ (and presumably Rob Denton etc.) went into bat and hatched a survival plan - which included job cuts.

Clearly it worked well enough though since DAoC is open today - unlike Asheron's Call but that could just be down to a bigger company being able to carry a game.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited May 2019
    Was in closed then open beta's then bought the game. Was great but ended up leaving after the 2nd expansion came out (as did most peeps i played the game with).

I did try going back to it about 2/3 yrs ago but man the graphics were nasty, extreamly blocky and pixalated, last all of 10 minutes i think, and my eyes could not take it no more... uninstalled and rather keep teh good memories than dull them with outdated gameplay that just does not work in todays gaming, even more so if your expected to pay a monthly sub to play it (which is double what it used to be back in its day) back then it was £4.75 a month, after a year it went to £5.15 and then to £5.75 (which is when i stopped playing, not long after 2nd expansion) so dont know what the pricing went to afterwards.

Fond Memories of my Thane, Healer, Wizard and Minstrel
    oh and forgot about my most played class - Runemaster and Hunter