Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matt Firor confirms that Zenimax is working on their next game - MMORPG.com

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

imageMatt Firor confirms that Zenimax is working on their next game - MMORPG.com

In an interview with the Official Xbox Magazine, Zenimx Online's Matt Firor has confirmed that the studio is working on a new project, but doesn't divulge much more info than that.

Read the full story here

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited May 2019
    Good, I have a suggestion: how about you make a real Elder Scrolls MMO, you know, sandbox game instead of that theme park we have now?
    Post edited by Galadourn on
    Agent_JosephScellowbcbullysumdumguy1psychosiz1XarkoHuntrezzAlomarSlyLoKmarcjt20and 5 others.
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Probably because the majority of the elder scrolls players want a CO op experience not a online one.
    bcbullysumdumguy1psychosiz1HuntrezzSovrathAlomarmarcjt20Baalzharon[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    " but we’re committed to ESO for as long as it takes."

As long as what takes?
    Galadourn[Deleted User][Deleted User]CazrielValentina
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    AWESOME
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Tiller said:

" but we’re committed to ESO for as long as it takes."

As long as what takes?

Seems like he means "as long as it's something people keep playing and paying for". Like, you wouldn't put a date on it. "We're committed to ESO for the next 3 years. Because then we think we're done."
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Galadourngervaise1TilleritchmonSinsai

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Galadourn said:

Good, I have a suggestion: how about you make a real Elder Scrolls MMO, you know, sandbox game instead of that thematic park we have now?

Elder Scroll games have never been sandbox.
    druezAlomarNephethvipermanorBaalzharonGeezerGamer
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Maurgrim said:

Galadourn said:

Good, I have a suggestion: how about you make a real Elder Scrolls MMO, you know, sandbox game instead of that thematic park we have now?

All this does is go back to the "what is a sandbox" argument which has been raging ever "since."

There is a palpable difference between games like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblvion and Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online.

AlomarMadFrenchierodingo
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Yet another game with bad graphics, clunky animations, monetized to the teeth? Sure, why not, I just need the title to ignore news about it.
    bcbully[Deleted User]M1K313K0CKmarcjt20BaalzharonAshikurosnoocky

Thank you for your time!

• supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Maurgrim said:

Galadourn said:

well I only played Oblivion and skyrim, but there you go 2 elder of scrolls games that enter in the sandbox category.
    NephethBaalzharon
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    How about you quit screwing over ESO players first?
    Alomar
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2019
    Like so many studios,cheap ideas get circled around the office.

Anthem was a cheaply designed game,Fallout was extremely cheap,i want to see developers that put in some passionate work to bring us AAA games.
    The perfect example of failure by goign for cheap cash grabs was Trion.They gave us a hint of better ideas to come after Rift being a decent starting game.Then after what followed was abysmal,all of their games after combined are not worth a grain of salt and why the studio ends up being sold off.

I would not suggest that Bethesda digs down so deep they are delivering really bad games but they are also not delivering AAA games.Every single game seems to have a cutoff point,ok this is all we can do for a budget so let's cut the game short.

When i look back after 20 + years,i seriously don't feel like Bethesda/Zeni were ever really that good.Adding Carmack seems to be an odd fit,he is more of a shooter type designer while Bethesda has been more of a rpg type developer.But i have never got the indication of a MMO developer they just don't have the mindset to pull it off.
    So what is coming,don't matter to me,i'll just wait and see if they can deliver and if this is to be considered a decent project,we shouldn't hear anything much for another 3+ years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2019
    I feel like Gollum, when Bilbo asks what's in my pocket? We're just left to guess? Not a single clue. Phooey.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    weee I know I used that phrase before but I will say it again

can't wait for the next train wreck
    bcbullyBaalzharon
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    edited May 2019

supx2 said:

Maurgrim said:

Galadourn said:

well I only played Oblivion and skyrim, but there you go 2 elder of scrolls games that enter in the sandbox category.

I think the word your are looking for is Open World RPG, not a sandbox. Sandbox allows you to build houses, towns villages etc... Generally the world itself can be changed by what you do. Skyrim is more of an Open World. You aren't on rails in the game, the world is open to explore and live in, but you really can't make meaningful changes to the world itself, minus the few scripted events.
    [Deleted User]supx2SaltyDog79GorweMaurgrim
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited May 2019

supx2 said:

Maurgrim said:

Galadourn said:

A lot of people don't consider quest based games to be sandbox games. Sure you can play the game without doing a single quest. At its heart Elder Scrolls are RPG with questlines and stories already written. In a true sandbox you write your own story, build a house, do whatever you truly wish. I agree that Elder Scrolls games have been the closest to sandbox while still being themepark questline games though.
    supx2
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354
    I bet it will have beautiful animations
    Sovrath
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    The new engine part sounds interesting at least.   

I'd much prefer a co-op game;  but with ESO the company showed a distinct propensity to design for a supposed ideal that, in actuality, didn't resonate with the lion's share of Elder Scrolls fans.  Thus all the gerrymandering post release.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited May 2019
    k61977 said:

A lot of people don't consider quest based games to be sandbox games. Sure you can play the game without doing a single quest. At its heart Elder Scrolls are RPG with questlines and stories already written. In a true sandbox you write your own story, build a house, do whatever you truly wish. I agree that Elder Scrolls games have been the closest to sandbox while still being themepark questline games though.
    But it still comes back to what is a sandbox and what is a themepark. 

When I first started the Elder Scrolls games, not really being "a gamer" I considered them Sandbox games as I could "write my own story."

I don't agree with the building assessment at all.

I know a good friend of mine usually plays them without doing many quests (some, but not many.) But he "writes his own story."

I think the ability to ignore or embrace the content offered is the largest component for a sandbox role playing game. 

otherwise, are there any sandbox role playing games?

Serious question. Because I don't know of any role playing games that offer full on building with stories/quests and role playing elements. Single player that is.

And of course, if one thinks of it, there is, technically building with the Hearthstone expansion in Skyrim or the House building (such as it is) in Morrowind. 

I very much agree with this (as one point of view):

"In spite of their name, various sandbox games continue to impose restrictions at some stages of the game environment. "

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox-gaming

And while the article offers "change a virtual world at will" there are other ways to change a virtual world than building.

Changing a leader can be one thing. Changing who sits in Whiterun or Winterhold for example, doing that glimmergreen tree (or whatever it's called) quest and depending on what you do you either get a new tree or heal the current one.

And as the article points out, there will eventually be restrictions.

Morgenes83
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2019
    Kitsunami said:
    Probably because the majority of the elder scrolls players want a CO op experience not a online one.

Well Matt Fior feels that is what he delivered and does not consider ESO an MMO but an extension of Elder Scrolls....So in his eye , thats what you got ..

Maybe now his vision is set on what he sees as a true MMO for Elder Scrolls

Or maybe a remake of Daggerfall , which would be excellent
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Deyirn said:
    If it's gonna be another dumb casual fest like ESO, I'm not interested. WoW Classic for me, thank you very much.
    Want hardcore, pvp. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2019
    Either ESO Blades will get ported to the PC, that's a mobile game being the foundation of a PC game. I remember when I said this people said "It could never happen". Or a co-op game in the style of Vermintide.
  • BriatauronBriatauron Member UncommonPosts: 2
    G.O.T
    bcbullyBruceYeeIselin
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116

druez said:

supx2 said:

Maurgrim said:

Galadourn said:

I think the word your are looking for is Open World RPG, not a sandbox. Sandbox allows you to build houses, towns villages etc... Generally the world itself can be changed by what you do. Skyrim is more of an Open World. You aren't on rails in the game, the world is open to explore and live in, but you really can't make meaningful changes to the world itself, minus the few scripted events.

I did those things in Skyrim though.
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Galadourn said:
    Define "real" Elder Scrolls MMO.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I wonder if this one won't have animation cancelling.
    Baalzharon[Deleted User]Scot