Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ducal picks delayed by one week

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
edited May 2019 in Chronicles of Elyria
Perhaps to no one's surprise, Vye (but not Caspian) announced a delay to the next round of DS&S. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31381/pushing-back-the-upcoming-ducal-pick-window

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

MrMelGibson

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited May 2019
    Utter incompetence. Repeated.  Over and over again.

This isn't even the game folks.  Nobody has actually even played the game.  Even though it was promised over a year ago on these very forums. This is all just background stuff designed around the shop to get you to buy virtual jpegs of land or pay more money to move up in the picking order to be sure you get the jpeg land you have your heart set on.

You know what other game did that?  Revival.  You know who the lead designer was for that game?  The same guy for CoE.  You know what happened to Revival? https://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/  Those quotes are from the CURRENT CoE Lead Designer made prior to joining CoE.

We haven't even scratched the levels of utter incompetence that will be shown in the actual game.  This is just the appetizer.  
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    GdemamiAnOldFartGaladourn

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Caspien's Gantt Charts:

Image result for funny gantt charts

AnOldFartGaladournAzaron_Nightblade

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited May 2019
    This is a f***ing joke.

Do they not understand, announce a date once you have 90% of the work done and all you have left to do is the cosmetic touch ups...

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31381/pushing-back-the-upcoming-ducal-pick-window?page=5#post347266

This person says it all. 

BTW @Slapshot1188 does @Gdemami just stalk you giving you lols? 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    AnOldFart said:

Gdemami gives LOLs to everyone, and especially to informative posts. I don't think he's staking anyone, rather he has a special way of using that LOL button that is incomprehensible to anyone else.
    KyleranDakeruScotMendelGdemamiEponyxDamoranemoMrMelGibson

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    None of this shocks me anymore.
    I made up my mind about this project when 2 years ago they said the game would be finished within a year.

The only thing that shocks me is that there are still people believing in this after there is still literally nothing to show and no change in sight for the next years to come.
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    On the flip side. If you read the thread you will see a few things. The first one, note how little Vye post has been up voted. Normally those news post hit +30, no matter what it's about. It's at +5 right now and it's probably the highest it's been. 

Two. Look at how many high backers are posting their concern. Go back a year and it be maybe a few voicing their concerns. Be mostly low backers and they be getting spammed down voted. Now it's the opposite. That's a really bad sign for SBS. A few people annoyed, whatever. That many high backers. You know there are many more that don't post, feeling the same.

The third you can't see in the thread. But even on their discord, it's a losing war for SBS. So many people are showing their frustrated at the whole thing.

My own personally view. Just wow.. it takes a special type of person to delay an already delayed event. I knew it was coming, but the last minute post.. yeah...

On a positive note. Vye did go into discord and took all the criticism on the chin. She didn't rage at anyone and even left on a good note. This is what SBS needs. A good PR person. If this was Caspian, he would have bloody lost it.
    KyleranAnOldFartGdemami
    AnOldFart said:
    This is a f***ing joke.

Do they not understand, announce a date once you have 90% of the work done and all you have left to do is the cosmetic touch ups...

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31381/pushing-back-the-upcoming-ducal-pick-window?page=5#post347266

This person says it all. 

As in all things CoE, I believe this is all driven by the fundraising schedule.  They need to wrap up this selection so that they can get to the next phase which is the reverse auction of the unsold land/titles and the bizarre Kickstarterversary. I say bizarre because each anniversary is a mark of their failed Kickstarter delivery date of Dec 2017 which Caspien so vigorously defended.

@JeromyWalsh Is the Storm here yet?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2019
    I suspect the artificial sense of urgency is due to something mentioned in Vye's post.

I believe they were trying to complete DSS before the Kickstartversary in order to better drive sales to backers giddy with its success.

Whoops, maybe next year.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

AnOldFart said:
    Well, reading that post this is what stands out to me:

“It’s funny how a peasant like you is complaining that we counts and dukes should not “slow down” DSS by picking with limited information...”

This sense of superiority is driven through every part of the game.  Its why, like I said above, everything revolves around the sales.   This event was supposed to drive people to spend more so that they got to pick their jpeg land spots earlier before someone else took them.  Then it was supposed to enable people like the “peasant” to purchase jpeg land and titles at a discount through the reverse auction of unsold jpeg land slots.

The desire to keep up with the Crowd and not fall down the totem pole is invasive in the community. Rational people would have seen this for what it is a long time ago.  It seems that some on the forums are starting down that road due to the repeated delays.  If they dig just a little deeper they will ask the “Why’s” and discover why SBS never seems to learn and keeps pushing unreasonable dates.  Not sure how many people want to take the red pill though. So much simpler to take the blue one and go back to unquestioning safety, because once they dig deep enough they will find how badly they were manipulated.

Gdemamibcbully

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    AnOldFart said:
    This is a f***ing joke.

This person says it all. 

Harrumph!  Bloody peasants!  How dare they talk in a forum that contains such high ranking nobilities such as myself?!
    mklinicSlapshot1188DakeruGaladourn
    do not post dates to things that still need to be developed.
    only give dates to things that are basically done and in final stages of testing. Or to which at least a minimum viable product exists.

This is the bit I meant. 

Ignore the part where he is a dick, because... Well he is being a dick

edited May 2019
    Torrsk said:
    On the flip side. If you read the thread you will see a few things. The first one, note how little Vye post has been up voted. Normally those news post hit +30, no matter what it's about. It's at +5 right now and it's probably the highest it's been. 

Two. Look at how many high backers are posting their concern. Go back a year and it be maybe a few voicing their concerns. Be mostly low backers and they be getting spammed down voted. Now it's the opposite. That's a really bad sign for SBS. A few people annoyed, whatever. That many high backers. You know there are many more that don't post, feeling the same.

The third you can't see in the thread. But even on their discord, it's a losing war for SBS. So many people are showing their frustrated at the whole thing.

My own personally view. Just wow.. it takes a special type of person to delay an already delayed event. I knew it was coming, but the last minute post.. yeah...

On a positive note. Vye did go into discord and took all the criticism on the chin. She didn't rage at anyone and even left on a good note. This is what SBS needs. A good PR person. If this was Caspian, he would have bloody lost it.
    The revolt continues, at one point Vye's post was at a -10 downvote, but supporters have rallied it back to -5 or so.

Some seriously pissed "nobles" over there,  particularly at the ducal level.

Almost any post calling for calm, or to stay the course by a white knight is being quickly downvoted across the board.

I think I can smell the tar boiling. 

;)

bcbully

Everyone is massively pissed off.

I don't see their revenue increasing by much for a few weeks. 

The theme of the threads... 
    Finish something and be testing it before you announce the date for it... 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Man I’m pulling for these guys. REAL emotion, emotional attachment. Smells like Wushu, like EVE.

getherdone!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A delay is not the end of the world by any stretch,that would hardly ever be a reason to get upset.

Now if content delivered is just bad,that would be a good reason to be upset.

Pretty simple question..
    1 Would you rather have HQ content that is late OR
    2 Low quality content that is on time?
    I know where i stand,if i see crappy content,i am out there,i don't care if it's  3 years early.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    They don't have a game. They never will. This project ran into, not just major problem, but a show stopper with their whole dloud based engine fall through. They saw a cheap way to use it and then the vendor discontinued the SDK. That was the end of COE right then and there. Everything that happened after that, (In my opinion) is borderline criminal.
    MendelGaladournGdemamiOctagon7711
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Vrika said:
    AnOldFart said:

Gdemami gives LOLs to everyone, and especially to informative posts. I don't think he's staking anyone, rather he has a special way of using that LOL button that is incomprehensible to anyone else.
    He got me to orange, I am thinking of doing a thread in the week thanking him. :)
    MrMelGibson
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Vrika said:
    AnOldFart said:

He doesn't know how to deal with facts or reality he doesn't want to see, so he "lol"s at those posts.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Utter incompetence. Repeated.  Over and over again.

This isn't even the game folks.  Nobody has actually even played the game.  Even though it was promised over a year ago on these very forums. This is all just background stuff designed around the shop to get you to buy virtual jpegs of land or pay more money to move up in the picking order to be sure you get the jpeg land you have your heart set on.

You know what other game did that?  Revival.  You know who the lead designer was for that game?  The same guy for CoE.  You know what happened to Revival? https://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/  Those quotes are from the CURRENT CoE Lead Designer made prior to joining CoE.

We haven't even scratched the levels of utter incompetence that will be shown in the actual game.  This is just the appetizer.  

If I have the right guy he also worked on Star Citizen? So that's a relief. :)
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Wizardry said:
    A delay is not the end of the world by any stretch,that would hardly ever be a reason to get upset.

Pretty simple question..
    I know where i stand,if i see crappy content,i am out there,i don't care if it's  3 years early.
    As AnOldFart said. Most of us just want them to complete anything they are working on. Then give an release date. Most people pissed in the community, don't care about the delay. Care because they once again have no idea how to plan ahead. Giving us times and dates, when to expect things. I would assume they had to down pat.

Even mods on discord were saying "You shouldn't trust SBS". To some people that took days off work to do their selection. 

I honestly can't see what is so hard about just being realistic with everyone. But then, these are the people that hyped it up, that they could have released it in December but wanting to wait until after the holidays. People are just getting fed up by their flat out lies. 

Delays happen, that's fair enough. No one is expecting anything to go perfectly. But Caspian went from "I'm not going to give out dates again". To saying 5 different dates for DSS. He clearly will never learn. Not like this is the first time something got massively blown out either.
    GdemamiScotAnOldFart
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I wonder if this delay is also due to the lack of completing the automated selection tool.

GdemamiScot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    What tool? You simply show users the jpeg with clickable areas, the info on click coords + approve is passed to the "backend" system ( an excel spreasheet that someone at SBS maintains ;-p )
    Done - whole system ready.
    But of course they can write 10 pages essay describing it. SBS is good at storytelling.
    Scot
    Wizardry said:as

Pretty simple question..
    As is so often the case,  people state the issue of game delivery in the form of a false dichotomy. 

I'll take option number three please, high quality which is delivered somewhat near the promise date.

It is not as impossible as some make it out to be, especially as in the case where 2 year projects stretch out to 6 plus years with no end in sight.

You just can't miss that badly unless of course you were either 1) totally lying out your arse, or.....2) totally clueless on how to build what was promised.

As Peter Quill might say, I suspect it is "a little bit of both."

GdemamiScot

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    They don't have a game. They never will. This project ran into, not just major problem, but a show stopper with their whole dloud based engine fall through. They saw a cheap way to use it and then the vendor discontinued the SDK. That was the end of COE right then and there. Everything that happened after that, (In my opinion) is borderline criminal.
    That has been my major concern. Persistent online characters is a major cornerstone of this game.
    edited May 2019
    That has been my major concern. Persistent online characters is a major cornerstone of this game.
    IMO one of the more ill thought out cornerstones which actually should be reconsidered.

All design features should have a solid purpose, benefitting both the player and the game world overall.

I've yet to see a convincing argument in support of it, only game I know of which did similar was Age of Wushu / Wulin and it seemed like a crap idea there as well.

Gdemami