Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Does Nazjatar Help Refresh Battle for Azeroth? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWorld of Warcraft - Does Nazjatar Help Refresh Battle for Azeroth? - MMORPG.com

Earlier this week Blizzard opened up Nazjatar for testing on the PTR, and since it is another big piece of content coming with 8.2 I wanted to take some time to talk about it. Firstly, much like my post about the Heart of Azeroth changes I’m not going to discuss the story aspects of Nazjatar. I’m mostly focused on how being in the zone feels and if the new elements it brings will help everything stay fresher than it is currently.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited May 2019
    "Considering we’re going to have to level our Heart up 15 more levels (assuming you have lvl 50 on your heart before 8.2 hits)"

This is why I finally unsubbed and uninstalled. They realized they f'd up the HoA system and said they would fix it....yet added another grind on top of the fix. Everything they do now is designed for time rather than fun. F**k Blizzard, I'm done.
    XarkoPalebaneMadFrenchie[Deleted User]PhryjgDuffay[Deleted User]borghive49AlmostLancelotValdheimand 4 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Viper482 said:
    "Considering we’re going to have to level our Heart up 15 more levels (assuming you have lvl 50 on your heart before 8.2 hits)"

This is why I finally unsubbed and uninstalled. They realized they f'd up the HoA system and said they would fix it....yet added another grind on top of the fix. Everything they do now is designed for time rather than fun. F**k Blizzard, I'm done.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm afraid. I'm hoping that Blizzard can pull something out of the hat that will surprise me to either "fix" gameplay OR the story. I can live with a subpar story if the gameplay is good and vice versa. What I have been unable to reconcile is that both feel pretty bad these days. For now, I'm on hiatus and in wait-and-see mode.
    Viper482CazrielViterzgir

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AzukaeAzukae Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited May 2019
    - "I'm doing openworld content with a 410 tank and content doesn't feel very threatening angryface" Alright i guess it tell me all i need to know and spare me from reading the rest.
    Kevyne-Shandris
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited May 2019
    When did WoW turn into Pacman, running around chasing down pearls to gobble up and fleeing from ghosts of the past? Not saying Pacman is a bad game, but it aint no RPG either.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Azukae said:

- "I'm doing openworld content with a 410 tank and content doesn't feel very threatening angryface"
    Alright i guess it tell me all i need to know and spare me from reading the rest.

You do realize when you use quotes you should actually quote what was said? Otherwise you are just misrepresenting things with your own interpretation.
    Tuor7SBFordonelesslight
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176
    edited May 2019
    It's sad to see the current state of wow. Even worse knowing people are stuck attached to their characters and just wont let them go even though they dislike and have been complaining about the game for the past x years. blizzard can't even apologise and keep belittling their playerbase and basically call them idiots indirectly every chance they get too
    Viper482Viterzgir
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    I'm sure it'll do amazing when people already seem to dislike it and it comes out at the same time as FFXIV's expansion.
    Viper482Viterzgir
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Viper482 said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm afraid. I'm hoping that Blizzard can pull something out of the hat that will surprise me to either "fix" gameplay OR the story. I can live with a subpar story if the gameplay is good and vice versa. What I have been unable to reconcile is that both feel pretty bad these days. For now, I'm on hiatus and in wait-and-see mode.
    Oh cool. I'm in seek-and-destroy mode. We should pair up and fight crime. 

WoW has turned into a very complicated product. I'm not sure if there is a cure anymore. If it was up to me, I'd go with Classic, but released a different expansion, some sort of a parallel world for the story to continue after vanilla. And then build a whole new empire on the top of that. 
    killerqueerValdheimViterzgirgrndzro
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Sommy_N7Sommy_N7 Member CommonPosts: 5
    World of Warcraft - Does Nazjatar Help Refresh Battle for Azeroth?

Naw.
    Viterzgir
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Just another sign that Blizzard does not know what the players want, nor how to 'fix' their game so that they can pull out of the death spiral the game is currently in. :/
    Viper482CazrielKevyne-Shandris
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    That's one of the big problems with WoW - There's zero sense of danger in the world, something that I've been mentioning for quite awhile now. It sucks cause it makes the world just feel blah like there's nothing to it. I wish it did.

I think back to my EQ days when each zone presented its own threats, some more than others. Haven't had that feeling since... Vanguard or EQ really. I don't get why MMo's are against a sense of danger in the world.
    killerqueerValdheim
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

That's one of the big problems with WoW - There's zero sense of danger in the world, something that I've been mentioning for quite awhile now. It sucks cause it makes the world just feel blah like there's nothing to it. I wish it did.

I think back to my EQ days when each zone presented its own threats, some more than others. Haven't had that feeling since... Vanguard or EQ really. I don't get why MMo's are against a sense of danger in the world.

Because they are designed to keep you addicted and keep rewarding you like a dog instead of focusing on fun gameplay. Games are basically designed around statistics theese days, espessialy AAA games, they look at how many people clear a raid, and if the persentage is to low they will lower the difficulty. This works to some extent but in the long run the dev's are just scratching their heads because the design is great, all types of players make it through all the content but the playerbase is falling by each expantion. Why? Because the players hava grown old and have responsibilities now. I am not kidding, this is what they actually think
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    i'm more surprised people think blizzard can fix anything, I find it easier they try to sell wow on smartphones then make it good
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ibowhuntibowhunt Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    This game is still amazing in the amount of content, presentation, and fun that MMORPG still have. But that is a very hard thing to do. 2 decades on and some are still playing the same kind of game. Storylines are getting stale because there is little room for them to breathe. And combat is about as perfect as this kind of game can make them, yet there is only so much you can do without having to rotate the same mechanics around to others.
    Will the above new content be enough to ease the lethargy of this expansion.. no probably not. Blizzard is having to push the game towards a grind just to give them enough time to work on expansion, and we all can feel it.
    Tuor7
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    You can thank the Diablo 3 developers for the sad state WoW is in atm. They brought over those garbage AARPG systems and try to shoehorn them into a MMO. What a surprise people that enjoy MMOs aren't too happy.
    [Deleted User]deniterTuor7Ajad
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

That's funny because I've heard the opposite. Bellular said he found getting around the new zone more precarious than others. There are lots of neutral lobster guys on the map, and if you accidentally step on their eggs you get a debuf that makes them all hostile. And, as was commented in the post, highly geared tanks don't normally have much to worry about in the world. What, scale vs your item level? I recall people complaining about not feeling powerful when leveling up when that kind of thing happens. Seems like a no win scenario. Actually I have though of some solutions to this kind of problem, but I know of no games that have fixes for them. It should be understandable that not everyone wants it hard or easy though, and all MMORPG I know of only have one level of difficulty. I know I myself find it ridiculous that as a high level legendary hero that I have to worry about a flock of slightly large seagulls out in the world. And again we see the I hate grind vs the everything is too easy argument. I guess it just matters what larger number of players want.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    "It's dead, Jim."
  • HeartfyreHeartfyre Member CommonPosts: 8
    edited May 2019
    WoW is only grind these days. Grind to get this, grind to get that. Grind to level, grind to get flying, grind to... Grind, grind, grind. There might be a few people who like this kind of gameplay, but most just don't do. At least that is what I hear from people. I really wanted to like BfA. I tryed, more than once. But I just can't get my head around the fact, that it is nothing but boring and bad design. It is the same old, same old. Nothing new, nothing innovative, nothing interesting.

And don't get me started on level scaling. Even after you gained 10 levels, it feels like you didn't make any progress. It doesn't matter, if you are level one or level 60, or 61 or 69, or... The grind combined with not feeling any progress at all is, what killed WoW for me.

And yet, their solution to all of this is... more grind? Yeah, thanks Blizzard, but no. Just no...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    they promised meaningfull pvp in a pve game. couldn't work.

WoW left real pvp behind ages ago, now with this x-server-runaway-and-hide-bullshit.... they should not have called it battle for azeroth ^^ there is nothing to fight.

gank on azeroth, ok, this could have worked out.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

peanutabc said:

It's sad to see the current state of wow. Even worse knowing people are stuck attached to their characters and just wont let them go even though they dislike and have been complaining about the game for the past x years.

blizzard can't even apologise and keep belittling their playerbase and basically call them idiots indirectly every chance they get too

Yea, for me it's I still like playing with my friends but the underlying systems make everything else frustrating.

That's funny because I've heard the opposite. Bellular said he found getting around the new zone more precarious than others. There are lots of neutral lobster guys on the map, and if you accidentally step on their eggs you get a debuf that makes them all hostile. And, as was commented in the post, highly geared tanks don't normally have much to worry about in the world. What, scale vs your item level? I recall people complaining about not feeling powerful when leveling up when that kind of thing happens. Seems like a no win scenario. Actually I have though of some solutions to this kind of problem, but I know of no games that have fixes for them. It should be understandable that not everyone wants it hard or easy though, and all MMORPG I know of only have one level of difficulty. I know I myself find it ridiculous that as a high level legendary hero that I have to worry about a flock of slightly large seagulls out in the world. And again we see the I hate grind vs the everything is too easy argument. I guess it just matters what larger number of players want.

Yea it's a tough needle to thread really. It's really easy to go between "I am a god and nothing can harm me" to "omg making my way through any part of this map is the most frustrating thing!" Both extremes aren't good really. It's not just gear level which can cause the differences but also specs. I prefer the set-up where new things are more on the hard side to start and as I progress through things get a bit easier. But there are a lot of people who just want to get through everything as fast as possible so making things difficult would be really bad to them.

My underlying thought on Nazjatar is, since 8.2 make obtaining flying possible it would have been ok for them to make things a bit stronger in the zone.
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited May 2019

Heartfyre said:

WoW is only grind these days. Grind to get this, grind to get that. Grind to level, grind to get flying, grind to... Grind, grind, grind. There might be a few people who like this kind of gameplay, but most just don't do. At least that is what I hear from people. I really wanted to like BfA. I tryed, more than once. But I just can't get my head around the fact, that it is nothing but boring and bad design. It is the same old, same old. Nothing new, nothing innovative, nothing interesting.

And don't get me started on level scaling. Even after you gained 10 levels, it feels like you didn't make any progress. It doesn't matter, if you are level one or level 60, or 61 or 69, or... The grind combined with not feeling any progress at all is, what killed WoW for me.

And yet, their solution to all of this is... more grind? Yeah, thanks Blizzard, but no. Just no...

Your point is invalid. It was always about the grind (dailies for rep, honor for pvp gear, farming dungeons for gear, farming raids for gear etc.), so calm down. It is how MMORPGs works.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited May 2019
    sipu said:

Heartfyre said:

Your point is invalid. It was always about the grind (dailies for rep, honor for pvp gear, farming dungeons for gear, farming raids for gear etc.), so calm down. It is how MMORPGs works.
    I was just thinking about this, and I actually don't think the grind point is valid. Grind is doing the same thing over and over, but WoW is way less grindy than it was in classic iirc. In classic just to level there was a patch in the upper levels where there weren't enough quests to level, so you had to grind mobs in the plague lands.

Now your "grinding" options are a lot more varied. I've never been one to run dungeons over and over again for slightly better gear, but I have unlocked all the major BfA stuff and Allied races from Legion, it was much less work and repetition than getting my Netherdrake back in the day. If you aren't in a hurry you can stick to high reward activities like emissaries and do what you want 95% of the time.

Some of the stuff you "grind" for has multiple benefits as well, so by the time I unlocked the Zandalari Trolls and some faction crafting recipes I checked what I needed for Pathfinder part one and it was a little more exploration of Kul'Tiras. Took me an hour. Before that I was in a hurry for the Zandalari, because I thought they were coming out in 8.1, but I never found it grindy. Time-gated, sure, but I was doing a range of activities that were giving me other rewards I could use for crafting, buying stuff, and better gear. If you find anything too grindy in this game it's probably because you were focused on doing some activity over and over (you know, grinding) and not doing a lot of the other activities that would have got you on your way to all those unlocks. 

There is also the mobile app that can help on the grind, probably a total to 15 minutes a day in game to get resources and on the app you could have unlocked most of the faction reputations by now. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Please send Classic.