Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Store will stop exclusives if Steam changes revenue split, CEO says

12346»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    They twitted about it. Maybe they removed the tweets at this point, it is a pretty embarrassing number tbh. I'm also reading that others started to avoid those exclusive deals, since they seem to damage their brand.

World War Z is a game that, as I said, revolves around the specific Fortnite demographic, so that could potentially explain the positive reception. Did it achieve Epic's expectations? It would be the first game that it has if so.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited May 2019
    Xasapis said:
    Satisfactory seems to have sold ... 9 copies according to their developers. 

It seems that Epic's demographic is very specific in their purchasing habits and those revolve around games similar to Fortnite. So Borderlands 3 will probably do well, other types of games, not so much.
    That's scary considering I watched 4 (maybe 5?) streamers play that game...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Not sure if it was already mentioned, but has Epic extended the same offer to GoG or Discord stores (or any others)? I didn't see any reference in the PCGamer article. Otherwise, it looks like this is more about trying to hurt Steam rather then help developers and/or consumers...

[Deleted User]Gdemami

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

AlBQuirky said:
    Xasapis said:

It seems that Epic's demographic is very specific in their purchasing habits and those revolve around games similar to Fortnite. So Borderlands 3 will probably do well, other types of games, not so much.
    I can't tell whether they are brutally honest or really bad at sarcasm.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    THe majority of Epic's playerbase probably has to ask their mom if its OK if they buy a game off the store......
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    mklinic said:
    Not sure if it was already mentioned, but has Epic extended the same offer to GoG or Discord stores (or any others)? I didn't see any reference in the PCGamer article. Otherwise, it looks like this is more about trying to hurt Steam rather then help developers and/or consumers...

I suggest its much more basic than that. "trying to help developers" or "trying to hurt Steam". Its about making money.  They are leveraging the success of Fortnite as well as tying it into their engine developer. Its been done before - Valve! Back then Epic missed out.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Xasapis said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Xasapis said:

Take a look at the comments.  It's definitely sarcasm.  They had 34k users in their Discord channel in a tweet after that one.  They made the same sarcastic remark about only 9 users in that tweet.

Also, if you look at the responses to the tweet you quoted, the devs are literally making jokes at the expense of the folks doom-calling any dev who chooses to go with Epic.

edited May 2019
    Bad at sarcasm then ;)

I hope you have a better day than we're having. It shoudn't be that hard.

Xasapis said:
    Bad at sarcasm then ;)

Well, the 9 users total, I think, is the dead giveaway.  Games like Shower with your Dad Simulator sold more copies than that.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    gervaise1 said:
    I suggest its much more basic than that. "trying to help developers" or "trying to hurt Steam". Its about making money.  They are leveraging the success of Fortnite as well as tying it into their engine developer. Its been done before - Valve! Back then Epic missed out.
    I'm not disputing that point; It's about Epic making money. My point was about the idea that they'd drop exclusives if some boogie man took certain actions and that it seemed disingenuous.

The idea that they'll stop exclusives, under [x] conditions, for the betterment of digital distribution as a whole/consumers/devs/whoever, doesn't seem to stand up to any sort of scrutiny. I don't see their actions lining up with the sentiment they seem to be trying to portray in the article when other vendors are locked out by exclusivity as well and are not given the same option as Steam (as far as I have been able to see).

GdemamiAlBQuirky

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

edited May 2019
    Xasapis said:
    Bad at sarcasm then ;)

Well, the 9 users total, I think, is the dead giveaway.  Games like Shower with your Dad Simulator sold more copies than that.
    The first part by itself is surely sarcasm.

The second part though by itself is genuine desperation.

So they put those two together and it makes you think whether they try to mask their disappointment with humour?
    Gdemami
    edited May 2019
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    Bad at sarcasm then ;)

The first part by itself is surely sarcasm.

The second part though by itself is genuine desperation.

So they put those two together and it makes you think whether they try to mask their disappointment with humour?
    The figure was an obvious joke, and it was sarcasm aimed at those who doom-call about Epic exclusive deals.  There's yet to be any true evidence cited that going with Epic is costing these devs.

Stop with the gaslighting, man.  It was sarcasm.  Read the comments, specifically where the dev account responds.

You can infer whatever you want from it. Personally I see a developer who sold 1M copies of a stupid Goat Simulator making these bad "joking" tweets and it just makes me wonder.

Ultimately my opinion doesn't matter one way or another. Developers in the short term are definitely profiting from the Epic exclusive deals. The real question pertaining to this thread is whether:
    • Epic store itself is making any money.
    • Epic store is attractive outside the exclusive deals
    • Why Epic store is not targeting every other digital store using the same model with the question they posed on Steam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited May 2019
    Xasapis said:
    You can infer whatever you want from it. Personally I see a developer who sold 1M copies of a stupid Goat Simulator making these bad "joking" tweets and it just makes me wonder.

Ultimately my opinion doesn't matter one way or another. Developers in the short term are definitely profiting from the Epic exclusive deals. The real question pertaining to this thread is whether:
    • Epic store itself is making any money.
    • Epic store is attractive outside the exclusive deals
    • Why Epic store is not targeting every other digital store using the same model with the question they posed on Steam.
    No, you're trying your damndest to infer negative meaning from anything and everything you can find that you can twist towards that negative meaning, including citing hearsay you can't even back up with actual quotes or data as fact.

Give it a rest.
    XasapisGdemami

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

How Epic thinks gamers see them 

How Gamers actually see Epic 

& EA ORGIN is  

buy madden &Fifa

Meanwhile Steam is like 

& G2A

And don't forget about Blizzard 

[Deleted User]PhryragebulletMadFrenchieFlyByKnightAlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Xasapis said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Xasapis said:

Take a look at the comments.  It's definitely sarcasm.  They had 34k users in their Discord channel in a tweet after that one.  They made the same sarcastic remark about only 9 users in that tweet.

Also, if you look at the responses to the tweet you quoted, the devs are literally making jokes at the expense of the folks doom-calling any dev who chooses to go with Epic.
    Man, I was laughing so hard reading these developer responses, that was some Epic (hah!) trolling. I understand why they did it though, just read an article like the one on oneangrygamer.net about them choosing the Epic store. Who wouldn’t want to troll the living daylights out of stuff like that?

”9 is not a satisfactory number”

”If we put it on Steam will we sell 10 copies?”

”Brb stealing a Tesla, I wasnt gonna buy one anyway.”

They just keep going and then take it even further by diving straight into bipolar disorder territory and crazy stuff, pure awesome and a massive F you to all the negativity and overtly offended people.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

MadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer