Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:
    nyxium said:
    The elephant in the room is the sub for Activision Blizzard. I can play nostalgic games that are free to play like Old School Runescape. I can play that on my mobile phone, I don't even need a computer these days. And it's F2P. I don't see how WoW Classic, which is an echo of the past, can get away with demanding a sub for "Classic" in this free to play modern day and age.
    My guess is they'll do a "unified" sub. Both Classic and Live will be under the same and you can access any server. It would be the wise approach because it helps hide specifics from the public. If Classic is crushing Live a unified sub will make it harder for critics to cite that. Likewise, if Classic flops after a bit a unified sub will help muddle that.

There is no need to guess at  it , Blizz stated that , that will be the business model for Classic long ago at Blizzcon 2018
    [Deleted User]
  • Ecthelion27Ecthelion27 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Well have any of you played BFA lately? Ghost towns, barely any1 in the world.

Classic will do good. Sure a lot of people will quit because Classic is meant for the people that loved Vanilla.

The demand came from those people, those people will play it. Thats the kind of players we need played Classic.

It all depends of course if they manage to not piss the #NOCHANGES crowd too much. I for one, do not like the idea of shardding in Classic, i hope they do it for the first weeks alone, when a lot of people will play it.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

After seeing the beta? No way.

The other thing I don't get about these servers though is that there's no avoiding the inevitable progression/end of the ride. Eventually the game you're playing will become the retail version.....so why bother? And even if it never moved beyond X or Y point.....you're not going to get new content then......so why bother?

oh I don't know, for fun? EVERY game ends eventually. so why bother right?
    [Deleted User]bcbully
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited May 2019
    btdt said:
    It will do as well as the Rift Progression server did...

The problem here is, if you played classic, you already know the game like the back of your hand.  It loses a lot of it's lustre because there is no wonder of the unknown.  Classic was about finding your way around, working your way around the bugs, figuring out different combinations of skills, and maximizing macros.

By the end of classic, players had figured out everything there was to know about the game to the nth detail.  These players are going to be playing it again knowing all that information this time around.  Hell, anyone has access to that information with the way back machine... every macro, every build, every little detail there is to know.

Regarding the the Rift comment... Ignoring the numerous examples of MMOs where classic/progression servers are successful, cherry-picking one that (presumably) isn't doing well, and asserting it as the model of how WoW's will perform is really dishonest. It's textbook confirmation bias.

The rest of the quoted part, and rest of your post by extension is, in a word, projection.

As I and others have stated, there is  and has been a notable demand for classic servers. The success of Nostalrius in particular proves this. That Blizzard decided to move forward with it, having been dismissive of it initially ("you think you do...") shows that they now see the potential in it as well. 

Questioning if people will accept all the "issues" you list on a classic server is absurd. There's already proof that they would, because many of them already have been. You have to be willfully ignorant, or completely out of the loop to not realize this.

This is why I say that it comes down not to whether or not a classic WoW server could succeed. It already has. The question to me is can Blizzard manage to not screw it up with their own.
    Galadourn
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    While certainly not the same population level, EQ has been doing progression servers for years.

WOW can certainly do well depending on how they actually implement it.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Bring full loot or wither and die
    Galadourn[Deleted User]
  • SeidrSeidr Member UncommonPosts: 18
    "Can Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market?
    No. Overly romanticized niche for couple thousand players, till they get bored. Half-life in this zeitgeist seems to be two months.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Older players will be okay, but bringing in new players may take some adjustment.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraft/columns/can-classic-world-of-warcraft-hold-up-in-todays-market-1000013606#8hVXDaXzUW71yyzF.99

I can't see it lasting for very long. Blizzard should be fixing retail and/or coming up with a sequel not re releasing a 15 year old product
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited May 2019
    blamo2000 said:
    I really wish casual and mainstream gamers would stop projecting their views and ideas on what gamers like.  You know what you and your kind like.  And you have no idea what people like outside of casual and mainstream gaming.

WoW original had actual meaty rpg systems geared towards adults - it had talents, skills, trying, and thinking.  No dual builds.  Most people could not afford to respect their talents all the time for different activities.  Most people didn't have the time build up huge sums of money, or play all day.  

And the best thing is WoW classic will not appeal to the people who did since they are mostly unemployed mainstream players and are too busy playing Fortnight and other mainstream shit to play a game because it is actually a good game rather than the current it thing.  No achievements will drive off another large group of idiots and kids.   Etc.

The people I dislike and do not want to play with will either not try this or move on quickly.  I truly hope this does not become some hip thing for all the mainstream and casual people, as that will be the only reason it deviates from being classic to having every loud mouth idiot and their brother screaming for it to become more and more modern wow.  

We should make a peace - all you guys stick to your BRs, survival games, and modern wow - and we'll stick to classic wow and other real mmorpgs.  You stop playing our games and telling us what we like and want, and we'll continue to silently be confused by all of you and we watch you in horror watch videos of other people playing video games and play games that utter crap and barely deserve the title of game, and definitely don't warrant the label of rpg.
    Get of your high horse, you’re not making peace with anyone, you’re simply insulting the other group. Your bias and assumptions are a travesty and presenting your poorly disguised opinions as facts is laughable at best.

The people you talk about are 95% of the players out there, THEY are the gamers, not you. You are the minority, a loud and rude one to boot. Classic will fail to be the saviour of anything because the small demopgraphic they are targetting finds themselves way too important to see its just a niche project.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    RexKushman[Deleted User]blamo2000mbrodie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

jgDuffay said:

What market?

There are approximately 2.2 billion gamers in the world. Out of the estimated 7.6 billion people living on earth, as of July 2018, that means almost a third of people on this planet are gamers. Out of those 2.2 billion gamers, 1.2 billion of those who play games are playing games on a PC.

None of them will play a 2004 game, again. WoW classic is just for a niche of wow veterans, that probably will get bored after a few months or weeks.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    lahnmir said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I really wish casual and mainstream gamers would stop projecting their views and ideas on what gamers like.  You know what you and your kind like.  And you have no idea what people like outside of casual and mainstream gaming.

WoW original had actual meaty rpg systems geared towards adults - it had talents, skills, trying, and thinking.  No dual builds.  Most people could not afford to respect their talents all the time for different activities.  Most people didn't have the time build up huge sums of money, or play all day.  

And the best thing is WoW classic will not appeal to the people who did since they are mostly unemployed mainstream players and are too busy playing Fortnight and other mainstream shit to play a game because it is actually a good game rather than the current it thing.  No achievements will drive off another large group of idiots and kids.   Etc.

The people I dislike and do not want to play with will either not try this or move on quickly.  I truly hope this does not become some hip thing for all the mainstream and casual people, as that will be the only reason it deviates from being classic to having every loud mouth idiot and their brother screaming for it to become more and more modern wow.  

We should make a peace - all you guys stick to your BRs, survival games, and modern wow - and we'll stick to classic wow and other real mmorpgs.  You stop playing our games and telling us what we like and want, and we'll continue to silently be confused by all of you and we watch you in horror watch videos of other people playing video games and play games that utter crap and barely deserve the title of game, and definitely don't warrant the label of rpg.
    Get of your high horse, you’re not making peace with anyone, you’re simply insulting the other group. Your bias and assumptions are a travesty and presenting your poorly disguised opinions as facts is laughable at best.

The people you talk about are 95% of the players out there, THEY are the gamers, not you. You are the minority, a loud and rude one to boot. Classic will fail to be the saviour of anything because the small demopgraphic they are targetting finds themselves way too important to see its just a niche project.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    He's 100% right. Nowhere did he claim we were a majority. We know the Fortnite mentality players are a majority. What he is saying is there is a large group of us that will play WoW classic and you low mentality BR players should just stay away, those servers aren't for you, we don't want you there, much like you don't want us playing your BR games.
    blamo2000
    edited May 2019
    Blueliner said:
    lahnmir said:
    blamo2000 said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    He's 100% right. Nowhere did he claim we were a majority. We know the Fortnite mentality players are a majority. What he is saying is there is a large group of us that will play WoW classic and you low mentality BR players should just stay away, those servers aren't for you, we don't want you there, much like you don't want us playing your BR games.
    No, he is 100% wrong. He has this crazy assumption that casuals and mainstream gamers aren’t real gamers when in fact they are 95% of the audience and therefor are the actual real gamers. His dillusional snobism en eilitarian verbal vomit doesn’t help him building his case either and you suffer from that same disabity talking about ‘you’ this and ‘you’ that as if you are above any of that, especially that cute dig with ‘low mentality blablabla.’ Different folks, different strokes, but you are by no means better then others and that condecending attitude might actually prove the opposite. Get of the high horse.

I btw also love the BR assumption in your need to differentiate yourself, I hate BR games. I did however raid 3 nights a week in vanilla for 2 years straight and will actually be playing Classic with an ot tank shammy. Assumptions, silly things they are.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    blamo2000[Deleted User]mbrodie

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Simply looking at the number of comments this thread has, is indicative of the interest Classic WoW still sparks to the gaming community...
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Galadourn said:
    Simply looking at the number of comments this thread has, is indicative of the interest Classic WoW still sparks to the gaming community...
    Got to remember...WOW was a generations first foray into MMORPG's. Lot of both angst, and joy, rapped up in that game. A game that defines the genre to many...even those that do not like it.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    btdt said:
    It will do as well as the Rift Progression server did...

The problem here is, if you played classic, you already know the game like the back of your hand.  It loses a lot of it's lustre because there is no wonder of the unknown.  Classic was about finding your way around, working your way around the bugs, figuring out different combinations of skills, and maximizing macros.

By the end of classic, players had figured out everything there was to know about the game to the nth detail.  These players are going to be playing it again knowing all that information this time around.  Hell, anyone has access to that information with the way back machine... every macro, every build, every little detail there is to know.

Regarding the the Rift comment... Ignoring the numerous examples of MMOs where classic/progression servers are successful, cherry-picking one that (presumably) isn't doing well, and asserting it as the model of how WoW's will perform is really dishonest. It's textbook confirmation bias.

The rest of the quoted part, and rest of your post by extension is, in a word, projection.

As I and others have stated, there is  and has been a notable demand for classic servers. The success of Nostalrius in particular proves this. That Blizzard decided to move forward with it, having been dismissive of it initially ("you think you do...") shows that they now see the potential in it as well. 

Questioning if people will accept all the "issues" you list on a classic server is absurd. There's already proof that they would, because many of them already have been. You have to be willfully ignorant, or completely out of the loop to not realize this.

This is why I say that it comes down not to whether or not a classic WoW server could succeed. It already has. The question to me is can Blizzard manage to not screw it up with their own.
    I mentioned Rift as it was the latest attempt at reviving the past.  And exactly what did I say about the server in particular?  Nothing other than it didn't last all that long.  The one projecting here is you.

The 100% fact, truth, reality of it is, WoW from 2004 can never be recreated.  No more than your birth can be recreated.  It happens only once.

You can hope all you want to hope but even Blizzard knows it's not going to be a long term thing... just another stop gap to try and keep players paying a sub until their next expansion comes out.

Trust me... what made WoW great back in the day had zero to do with the game itself... it had everything to do with the players.  The Aussies that you chatted with at 2AM while dancing naked in Iron Forge... the notion that you could even talk in realtime with people from around the world in a video game was utterly new to most of us.  The game was just a vessel.  The people that came to play the game MADE THE GAME.  Those people are long gone.  No one on this planet has been under a rock for the past 12 years to be oblivious to the gazillion forms of social interaction available to them.  They don't see talking to an Aussie at 2AM as the best thing since sex.  

No one gives a rats ass who downs who first in a game anymore or who has the best of this or that gear on.  Those days are long over... but back in the day... it was everything to some... so much so as to become national news about gamer addiction.  It was unheard of addiction.  It was a different time and a different mindset.

So go ahead and believe relaunching a 12 year old game will bring all that back in 2019.  The delusional one is you.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019
    Galadourn said:
    I can remember DAoC Trials of Atlantis generating over a 100 pages of comments on the VN boards in its first day - more comments per page as well. And there were multiple other threads and hundreds of more pages of comments in the days that followed. Clearly - by your yardstick - ToA must have been really, really, really popular.
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    edited May 2019
    I tend to agree with blueturtle. What we need to remember is that mmo's aren't the popular form of game found on pc's. jgDuffay claims that through his research, he's found 1.2 billion gamers on pc. They aren't playing WoW or any other mmo at this time. While it is true some of that number may have played WoW "back-in-the-day", but they just aren't into that type of gaming entertainment at this time.

Thus it is possible, but in MY opinion NOT probable that "Classic WoW" will either save or kill commercial wow. For me, just another legacy game we reminisce about.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    edited May 2019
    You guys and gals out just take a bit to think back to the beginning before Christmas, 2004. Enjoy this link, I did  ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVjToYOjbM

Yeah, you'll notice. if you indeed did go to the music video, there are four singers, with one missing-uh huh they are four-manning and in remembrance to a legend. 

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    95% huh?  I highly, highly disagree with that.  And why would I want to make peace with people whose poor taste has ruined mmorpgs for me?  Maybe you're a mosaicist that loves people who poop all over your party, but I personally think that's really weird.  

Anyway, I think you are way too emotional and need lots of medication and anger management before you consider playing a real mmorpg.  

Also, I never said classic will be the savior of anything.  It will just give a new home to all the millions of disenfranchised mmorpg refugees.  Not all at once, and not consistently.  But it will be something we know we enjoy when we all need an mmorpg to scratch that itch.  I, personally, plan on at least trying all real mmorpgs aimed at an mmorpg audience with decent chardev that come out in the future.  This isn't my dream game - its just a game I know I will enjoy playing and putting time into.  

Only time will tell who is right and wrong about this.  But what is clear is some people are thinking of the big picture and this game's actual target market/potential market and others are projecting and egotistically assuming their tastes and wants are everyone's tastes and wants.  And since all new, modern hip games include them in their target market the fact that a noteworthy big name game isn't can't register with them. 

I'm not saying I am immune from an egotistical perspective.  I have it all the time.  When I saw the trailer for Momma Mia I immediately thought that it would be a huge flop because no one sane wants to see that shit.  My mind cannot understand how or why anyone would watch it of their own volition.  But, my wife and sizable amounts of other people love shit movies like that.  I just don't understand it because I'm clearly not who the movie is made for.  I'm neither their target market or included in their potential market.  Me and my kind are not considered.  Because me and my kind have tastes and preferences that ensure we are not included, because if we were the final product would end up being nothing like Momma Mia.  It would be far closer to the Avengers or Shazam.  

So, in order to make product X interesting to audience A, it needs Y features and not have Z features.  Audience B may be excluded because of Y features or not, or may only be included with Z features or not.  Either way you most likely won't have a product that will be really interesting to both audience A and B as an extremely simplified explanation.   The more you try the more you alienate people from one audience or another.  

My opinion on Momma Mia is not valid because I like movies and have mainstream, casual taste in movies and like all the modern blockbusters.  

You can call me a snob and an elitist all day but that doesn't change market realities.  Am I snob or elitist because I enjoy casual, mainstream blockbusters like the DC and Marvel movies?  Is my wife a snob or elitist because she likes shit movies like Momma Mia and singing movies in general and thinks all the movies I like are shit?  Of course not.  We like what we like.  We dislike what we dislike.  Now, if you think me being annoyed that people who have pretty much all modern games made for them telling us we will realize we actually don't like what we like and will realize it when we play something they don't like makes me an elitist and a snob, all I can say is you should have your medicine adjusted.  
    [Deleted User]deniter
    blamo2000 said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    95% huh?  I highly, highly disagree with that.  And why would I want to make peace with people whose poor taste has ruined mmorpgs for me?  Maybe you're a mosaicist that loves people who poop all over your party, but I personally think that's really weird.  

Anyway, I think you are way too emotional and need lots of medication and anger management before you consider playing a real mmorpg.  

Also, I never said classic will be the savior of anything.  It will just give a new home to all the millions of disenfranchised mmorpg refugees.  Not all at once, and not consistently.  But it will be something we know we enjoy when we all need an mmorpg to scratch that itch.  I, personally, plan on at least trying all real mmorpgs aimed at an mmorpg audience with decent chardev that come out in the future.  This isn't my dream game - its just a game I know I will enjoy playing and putting time into.  

Only time will tell who is right and wrong about this.  But what is clear is some people are thinking of the big picture and this game's actual target market/potential market and others are projecting and egotistically assuming their tastes and wants are everyone's tastes and wants.  And since all new, modern hip games include them in their target market the fact that a noteworthy big name game isn't can't register with them. 

I'm not saying I am immune from an egotistical perspective.  I have it all the time.  When I saw the trailer for Momma Mia I immediately thought that it would be a huge flop because no one sane wants to see that shit.  My mind cannot understand how or why anyone would watch it of their own volition.  But, my wife and sizable amounts of other people love shit movies like that.  I just don't understand it because I'm clearly not who the movie is made for.  I'm neither their target market or included in their potential market.  Me and my kind are not considered.  Because me and my kind have tastes and preferences that ensure we are not included, because if we were the final product would end up being nothing like Momma Mia.  It would be far closer to the Avengers or Shazam.  

So, in order to make product X interesting to audience A, it needs Y features and not have Z features.  Audience B may be excluded because of Y features or not, or may only be included with Z features or not.  Either way you most likely won't have a product that will be really interesting to both audience A and B as an extremely simplified explanation.   The more you try the more you alienate people from one audience or another.  

My opinion on Momma Mia is not valid because I like movies and have mainstream, casual taste in movies and like all the modern blockbusters.  

You can call me a snob and an elitist all day but that doesn't change market realities.  Am I snob or elitist because I enjoy casual, mainstream blockbusters like the DC and Marvel movies?  Is my wife a snob or elitist because she likes shit movies like Momma Mia and singing movies in general and thinks all the movies I like are shit?  Of course not.  We like what we like.  We dislike what we dislike.  Now, if you think me being annoyed that people who have pretty much all modern games made for them telling us we will realize we actually don't like what we like and will realize it when we play something they don't like makes me an elitist and a snob, all I can say is you should have your medicine adjusted.  
    Its not about finding other peoples taste shit, it is about the desperate need to actually tell other people that and then distancing yourself from that because " your" fun is being ruined.

You talk about poor taste, the likes of you, loud mouth idiots, the people I dislike etc. etc. etc. You couldn't be more condecending if you tried, THAT makes you an elitist. Enjoy Classic, I know I will, but when you want people to leave your fun alone, don't start pissing all over theirs like you have been doing up till now.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]blamo2000

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Nope, this will not do well for long.

Once those rose colored glasses are slapped off, crushed by reality and the population dwindles. I'll tell ya I told ya so.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Dinasty said:

Once those rose colored glasses are slapped off, crushed by reality and the population dwindles. I'll tell ya I told ya so.
    so where are you thinking those people end up? retail? there are a lot of people that don't like retail and would much rather play on a "classic" server. its either that or don't play wow at all for a lot of people.

my reality is i can't stand wow retail, so the buck stops here if i ever want to play wow again., unless i go to a private server. i'm guessing i'm not alone, not by a long shot.

blamo2000
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The first time it takes some youngin' more than 30 seconds to kill a landscape mob....
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited May 2019
    baphamet said:
    Dinasty said:

so where are you thinking those people end up? retail? there are a lot of people that don't like retail and would much rather play on a "classic" server. its either that or don't play wow at all for a lot of people.

my reality is i can't stand wow retail, so the buck stops here if i ever want to play wow again., unless i go to a private server. i'm guessing i'm not alone, not by a long shot.

I think most of them will go back to doing what they were doing before. Playing other games. As we ancient Wow vets have been doing for years. Or back to the true vanilla rogue servers they can play on for free.
    and risk having that private server being shut down and losing your character....... that's the only problem i have with private servers.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Darksworm said:

peanutabc said:

Don't really see why it would be successful longterm but I can see it being huge for the first few months.

2004 WoW was never a great game but anyone could run it when the competition was EQ2 which ultimately killed itself by gaming on single core CPU performance. It released at the most perfect time. Balance was completely whack and some of the worst of any game (Blizzard have always been trash at balancing their games lets be real).

One problem is that a lot of people are going to classic wow with their experiences in the back of their head which will never materialise into anything other than "oh i remember the arcanite reaper i felt badass when i got mine". You can't experience mystery or not knowing things again.

Will be definitely huge success shortterm but long term? I don't see how it holds up. People get bored of games that feed them content every 3months and classic wow will not be able to do this.

WoW was a really good game in 2004, compared to EQ which had you logging in and doing nothing but grinding AAs.  EQ had already turned into a raiding treadmill by the time 2004 rolled around, so it was like WoW is today, except with tons of old school elements which many people simply didn't have time to waste on anymore.  If you weren't raiding, why were you bothering to play it, IMO.  Low level content was dead, as there were few people running that content and many were PLing the AAs on their alts at PoFire Tables and other places, while gearing them up by killing the goats in GoD for class armor:-P

Also, if your computer was really bad... WoW wasn't going to perform as well as EQ, either.  WoW actually needed a better GPU than EQ, and even today, EQ will lag on pretty modern PCs (luggish UI, etc.) while WoW runs well - due to its ability to use multicore CPUs and GPUs better.

EQ2 did make bad developer assumptions from that end, but if you think the system requirements were the only reason why it lost to WoW despite a launch advantage, you CLEARLY didn't play it when it released.

WoW GREW the MMORPG market, so the people who couldn't run it well didn't really matter.  By 2005, PCs were a lot better than what a lot of older EQ players were playing on.  WoW actually knew how to use Multi-Core CPUs and utilized GPUs much better than both EQ2 games... this actually allowed it to run better on lower end hardware than EQ.

It had nothing to do with graphics quality, but more to do with better development and developer assumptions/reaction to market changes.

EQ2 had tons of issues on launch, with basic game design elements.

The developers assumed the millions of players prepared to flood into the MMORPG genre were "okay" with something more like "EverQuest," but they weren't and they didn't care for it.

EQ2 was also a reputationally damaged franchise, by that point.  The world had already been subjected to numerous stories about people killing themselves, killing others, and wasting away playing the game.  It brought gaming addiction into the lime light, which is why it was called "EverCrack."

I don't think EQ2 was ever going to compete with WoW. Blizzard just had better developers, and they actually recruited top players and guilds from EQ to give input (and even work at Blizzard) during the development of WoW - something SOE should have done, but didn't really bother to do.

The results speak for themselves.

And think about that...  The input from top EQ players had a huge hand in making WoW what it was.  Not the drones that regurgitate FUD and talking/markering points on forums... But the people who spend countless hours pushing the limits in that game.  It's only the non-factors that seemed to want things to stay "status quo."

To be fair he wasn't 100% wrong - WoW did have the luck of coming out at the time of SOE mmo titles committed suicide for some reason (Not just EQ2, don't forget SWG also committed suicide by NGE).