Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes is killing me.

Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
Too many options has made me relapse into an altoholic.  So many builds, themes and archetypes I want to try.  Just made a plant dominator with fire assault I made look like solar power.  

So who us actually playing? Character building alone is worth playing this old game.
ananitTokkenAzaron_NightbladeDavodtheTuttBlaze_Rocker

Comments

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    this game made me relapse into an avid mmorpg player, something i had thought impossible for a long time.
    i usually am not a pve centric player when it comes to mmos and CoX has always been the shining exception to me.
    turns out it is fun to destroy monsters by the dozen and to have distinct classes with distinct roles each complimentary and codependent. AND TO HAVE GROUPS OF MORE THAN  4 PLAYERS !

and to be honest, the game still holds up perfectly fine in nowadays standards imo (or maybe i'm getting old and nostalgia got the better of me), it's chokeful of content and it has plenty of classes and variation to chose from. we even got new archetypes we never got on the live servers because the game closed before the release the latest issue.
    even graphics wise, the game is not ugly to the eyes.
    Tokkengervaise1Azaron_NightbladeVermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]Blaze_RockerSamhael
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited May 2019
    IKR?

I have always loved this game and now I'm in heaven playing it.

I play Masterminds and controller. My only level 50 though when I played live was a brute Dark / Dark. Huge end hogger. It was however a fantastic survivor when everyone died my cloak saved me. I had like 7 Masterminds and 3 controllers and 5 defenders but only that one Brute.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Where are you guys playing CoX at?
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210
    ananit said:

the game still holds up perfectly fine in nowadays standards
    the game is not ugly to the eyes.
    Could not disagree more. This game is disgustingly old looking. Oh wait, that's because it is. Visually there is absolutely nothing appealing about it. The animations are just as awful as well.
    Harikenmaskedweasel
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    ananit said:
    this game made me relapse into an avid mmorpg player, something i had thought impossible for a long time.
    i usually am not a pve centric player when it comes to mmos and CoX has always been the shining exception to me.
    turns out it is fun to destroy monsters by the dozen and to have distinct classes with distinct roles each complimentary and codependent. AND TO HAVE GROUPS OF MORE THAN  4 PLAYERS !

and to be honest, the game still holds up perfectly fine in nowadays standards imo (or maybe i'm getting old and nostalgia got the better of me), it's chokeful of content and it has plenty of classes and variation to chose from. we even got new archetypes we never got on the live servers because the game closed before the release the latest issue.
    It is refreshing. No cash shops and paywalls to block you from getting what you want.  It's about the game. 

If they cleaned up the textures the game would look modern.  Some the "new" textures and effects are top notch. 

ScotBlaze_Rocker
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    ananit said:

It is refreshing. No cash shops and paywalls to block you from getting what you want.  It's about the game. 

If they cleaned up the textures the game would look modern.  Some the "new" textures and effects are top notch. 

I think the game still looks, and sounds brilliant. And as you stated the sheer amount of costume and power choices are stunning for such an older game. That said though, the slow combat is doing my head in. Though it gets better higher levels getting from level one to about twelve can be a brutal slog with some builds.

yeah early level are a slog but 1 through 10 is super fast if you just create a hero and join a sewer group. you'll be lvl 8~10 within 30 minutes.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    ananit said:
    ananit said:

I think the game still looks, and sounds brilliant. And as you stated the sheer amount of costume and power choices are stunning for such an older game. That said though, the slow combat is doing my head in. Though it gets better higher levels getting from level one to about twelve can be a brutal slog with some builds.

yeah early level are a slog but 1 through 10 is super fast if you just create a hero and join a sewer group. you'll be lvl 8~10 within 30 minutes.
    Yeah, I forgot how awful those early levels are.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Dinasty said:
    ananit said:

Could not disagree more. This game is disgustingly old looking. Oh wait, that's because it is. Visually there is absolutely nothing appealing about it. The animations are just as awful as well.
    I agree with this. The graphics don't hold up well even with everything maxed out.  Doesn't mean it isn't still fun, at least in its own way, but no, it hasn't aged well.

Dinasty said:
    ananit said:

I agree with this. The graphics don't hold up well even with everything maxed out.  Doesn't mean it isn't still fun, at least in its own way, but no, it hasn't aged well.
    There are some poor textures mixed in with some good ones. Good lighting and practical effect .  The environment looks dated certainly but the fidelity of the characters to look like what they represent is there. That is the most important to me. 

This takes into the game being 15 years old and closed for 7.  
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    ananit said:

You shouldn't be soloing. This game is meant to be played in groups because the way your skills all work when you play together is fantastic. I love it.

Forget about the graphics who cares as if that ever made a game good. While I think that the textures could look better but really it is all about the gameplay.
    Blaze_RockerSolarstriker

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Well yea, that's what happens when you illegally pirate a game. You don't have to pay for it. This applies to anything you steal! 
    RexKushmangunklackerrochristBaalzharonuncusdragonlee66mmolou
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I am hoping it was just growing pains, but I found the game's lag unplayable and broken. I haven't uninstalled, but when it takes 5 seconds for the character to respond to the ability, then I can't consider the game in a playable state.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Utinni said:

Well yea, that's what happens when you illegally pirate a game. You don't have to pay for it. This applies to anything you steal! 
    You're not wrong, and maybe I'm just taking the bait here, but I think it's fair to point out that the game could not be purchased, subscribed, or played prior to this for seven years.  It was essentially abandoned in every way.  There's a huge difference between this and playing WoW on a private server, for example.

I never got to play it while it was live.  It's a breath of fresh air to be sure, and I'm just having fun with all the varied builds so far.
    Blaze_RockerVermillion_Raventhal

edited May 2019
    I am hoping it was just growing pains, but I found the game's lag unplayable and broken. I haven't uninstalled, but when it takes 5 seconds for the character to respond to the ability, then I can't consider the game in a playable state.

When did you last play it has been very good past few days . No lag and very stable.

Also I suggest you turn your graphics down especially if your computer does not have a good card. Even though it is an old game this has been modified the I25  so it needs a bit more of a beefy computer to run at ultra. I have a 1070 GTX and I have it at ultra but I turned shadows off. Also in groups with all those particles you could run into problems.

Also avoid Torchbearer and the overly crowded first two servers.
    Chamber of Chains
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    wanderica said:
    Utinni said:

You're not wrong, and maybe I'm just taking the bait here, but I think it's fair to point out that the game could not be purchased, subscribed, or played prior to this for seven years.  It was essentially abandoned in every way.  There's a huge difference between this and playing WoW on a private server, for example.

I never got to play it while it was live.  It's a breath of fresh air to be sure, and I'm just having fun with all the varied builds so far.
    I still don't think something not being for sale gives you the right to steal it. I've got a car that hasn't been driven in 5 years, sitting in my garage. So you think its ok to just steal that because I'm not selling it? It's really odd that people try to defend/rationalize copyright and digital media theft. 
    rochristdragonlee66
    edited May 2019
    This thread is about the wonder of City of Heroes. Let's leave the discussion about the right or wrong of private servers on another thread please.

I don't want this thread to devolve into that like the other threads have so please do not respond or discuss it if possible because then the game play aspect is not discussed.
    uncusgunklackerSignex
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Making character after character is a big part of what this game is about. You could come up with an idea, no matter how insane, and there would be tools to make it work. 
    DavodtheTutt

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Utinni said:
    wanderica said:
    Utinni said:

I still don't think something not being for sale gives you the right to steal it. I've got a car that hasn't been driven in 5 years, sitting in my garage. So you think its ok to just steal that because I'm not selling it? It's really odd that people try to defend/rationalize copyright and digital media theft. 
    My only response to this believe what you like but I purchased the game.  It is not stolen.  Maybe it is being used unauthorized by not theft.  I do not believe because something is online that it is anymore not mine or my right to use the client.

This is a niche market so the public and even gamers don't really care about gamers right to play digital purchases.  It will be a bigger deal once one of the bigger providers shuts down whole libraries become unavailable.  

But I am sure there are other threads you can white knight.  
    dragonlee66mmolou
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    edited May 2019
    Dinasty said:
    ananit said:

There are some poor textures mixed in with some good ones. Good lighting and practical effect .  The environment looks dated certainly but the fidelity of the characters to look like what they represent is there. That is the most important to me. 

This takes into the game being 15 years old and closed for 7.  
    That's just it though.. "holding up" must mean different things to different people.  Some games in the 8 bit realm hold up despite their graphics.  Ocarina of Time is still heralded as one of the best games ever created, but if you go back and play it, it definitely doesn't look great. 

In terms of MMOs, yeah, the textures are bad, the world is bland, the costumes lack detail, and the abilities are slow and poorly animated. 

All that aside it doesn't make it a bad game, it just makes it an old game. Graphically, it isn't going to hold up as well as something like Champions or even DCUO, though DCUO specifically is getting a slow character overhaul because even it looks dated.

Maybe if the project takes off, they can attempt to at least update some of the textures.

• trobon18trobon18 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Utinni said:
    The problem is Intellectual Property is the only place where this can happen. Common Law has rules for abandoned property for most property and adverse possession for real property. IP laws have stretched out the definition for when something becomes public so far out that it has lost all meaning and thus has no rules for when IP is essentially abandoned like other property does. 

If you have your car in your garage that's one thing, but it you abandon it then there are ways for someone to legally come and take it and use it themselves. IP law has nothing akin to this and thus the distinction between abandoned and not in use isn't there. If the IP laws matched other kinds of property law in any logical way then there would be a good chance that something like this could legally happen. 

So you're right that this is illegal, but the question is should it be? This isn't the standard internet pirate "Oh there are no victims therefor its okay" idiocy that most people would go with, because of course piracy is not really a 100% victim-less crime and people need to stop pretending it is. However, that doesn't mean IP laws are in a good place either and there are instances (like in this case) where abandoned software maybe should be allowed to be coopted by the public and put to use again. 
    ArglebargleVermillion_RaventhalRidelynnmmolou
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    I am also making either new builds or new looks. Just like I remember it back in the day :)

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Cobane said:
    Where are you guys playing CoX at?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrs_B6WRRJM

Voila.
  • jsunleejsunlee Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Hey there! I'm a collector of the City of Heroes CCG, and at this point I'm mainly hunting for foils, specifically a foil of the cards Revive and Footstomp. I'm also looking for any promo cards: Alien Mind Control, Full Moon, Got There First, Spirit of the Furies, Kill Skuls, and Boxing. 

Does anyone here collect City of Heroes or know of someone who does and would be up for trading/selling parts of their collection? I'm looking to complete playsets too, so I'd be interested in bulk. 

Basically, if you've got City of Heroes CCG cards, I'd love to chat with you! :)
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Utinni said:
    wanderica said:
    Utinni said:

That was the dumbest analogy I've heard in a while. Congratulations.

Also this is coming from someone not playing CoH. I just thought your reply was stupid enough to respond to.

Good day everyone!