Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inside Star Citizen: Can You Banu? - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageInside Star Citizen: Can You Banu? - MMORPG.com

Associate Creative Producer Jared Huckaby is back with this week's installment of Inside Star Citizen, the company's weekly look at the development of the game. The 10-minute video takes a look at the evolving nature of space flight, how player feedback is collected and used as well as a peek at the ongoing development of the Banu Defender.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    What better than a Pug dog to redirect all our hate toward the current developments with this game and the massive fraud scandal that will get unraveled one day.
    ViousBaalzharonAsm0deusgastovski1
  • ViousVious Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited May 2019
    Wizbuiz said:
    What better than a Pug dog to redirect all our hate toward the current developments with this game and the massive fraud scandal that will get unraveled one day.
    Quit drinking the h8terade.
    SBFordBaalzharon[Deleted User]Asm0deusErillion
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Forbes just gave us a look inside, it was not pretty. However here is hoping that the $30 million a year spent on wages actually delivers a decent game sometime before humanity reaches the stars.
    Agent_JosephMensurTacticalZombehBaalzharon[Deleted User]gastovski1
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Scot said:
    Forbes just gave us a look inside, it was not pretty. However here is hoping that the $30 million a year spent on wages actually delivers a decent game sometime before humanity reaches the stars.
    Hahahahaha, conjective, assumtive, speculation does not and never will equal facts. 
    That "article" was a lie filled witch hunt, with zero basis in reality. 
    WalkinGlennTacticalZombehBaalzharonPingu2012mmolourpmcmurphy[Deleted User]gastovski1Erillion
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I notice a pattern of drama before SC does anything.  Usually right before conventions an article pops up that stirs the community, now right at the start of free flight.  I would call it a coincidence but it's been like clockwork for awhile now.

If this article is a groundless I'm sure RSI will go after them the way they did The Escapist.  But a company like Forbes usually doesn't post articles with zero basis in reality.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2019
    I notice a pattern of drama before SC does anything.  Usually right before conventions an article pops up that stirs the community, now right at the start of free flight.  I would call it a coincidence but it's been like clockwork for awhile now.

If this article is a groundless I'm sure RSI will go after them the way they did The Escapist.  But a company like Forbes usually doesn't post articles with zero basis in reality.
    You've been here long enough to notice there is always some outlet starting a drama-llama before a major event, specifically the yearly conference. lol 

Also, don't confuse what they used to be (their reputation) vs what they are now, is all about cherry picking with irrelevant (or known from years ago) stuff that matters nothing or little to the game itself but works wonders for character assassination in the present.

Also biggest gripe is that there is nothing new, we know there had been problems, there had been those long articles years ago where CR and so even admitted to mistakes leading to gigantic delays and redos on the game... yet they decide to bring the same ol' thing, of who knows what relevance to the present reality of the project?
    rpmcmurphyErillion
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Wizbuiz said:
    Uhh okay.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Scot said:
    Forbes gave you exactly what you wanted to hear, creating controversy to write edgy articles to fuel both camps.
    Erillion
    edited May 2019
    goboygo said:
    Scot said:
    Forbes gave you exactly what you wanted to hear, creating controversy to write edgy articles to fuel both camps.
    It did not give me what I wanted to hear, I want to play SC when it comes out, I think you will find most of the posters talking a pot shot at the development want that too. We had facts like that $30 million a year on wages, you can't shy away from that. However I was rather facetious in my estimation of when the game might come out.
    Post edited by Scot on
    Yeah, 30 million on wages, and your fucking point is.
    How much is Blizzards employee bill payout, taxes.
    Zenamax's employee bill payout, taxes.
    Activision's Employee bill payout, before the layoff, taxes.
    See using semantic word games does NOT make your statements truths.
    mmolourpmcmurphyErillion
    edited May 2019
    Durzax said:
    Think about the size of those companies, I would imagine their wage bill is higher, but is it that much higher? Bearing in mind they are making more than one game and that each year they release games. That's what the point is.
    Pingu2012
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I love it when critical articles are lies, nonsense and telling you what you want to hear. How about the positive articles? Are people really thinking there is any difference? Or are those correct and the truth? The bias and naivity is stunning, as is the hostile tone.

On a sidenote, I own and play SC, just putting that out there before being labelled an ignorant hater or something to that extent.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    mmolou
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    The end is near.
    XarkoErillion

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Durzax said:
    I am actually one of the suckers citizens that backed SC, but really? you want to play the comparison game?

Ok, how many completed games that have generated money to pay wages with, does CIG have compared to all the companies you listed?
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Durzax said:
    Scot said:
    Hahahahaha, conjective, assumtive, speculation does not and never will equal facts. 
    That "article" was a lie filled witch hunt, with zero basis in reality. 
    What you want to call conjective, assumptive speculation were actually facts based on documents CIG released detailing their expenditure from 2012 - end of 2017.

I like how you make this spurious claim that something based on GIC's own financials and court documents was lies. That sounds like someone is living in the land of "alternative facts".

---

$30 million in wages was based of 460 staff, they've sinced increased to 540 staff so costs are only going up.  On top of that the employee cost to the studio is significantly higher, 540 staff is likely to actually be costing them closer to $54 million for a year.

Scot
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm still waiting for Chris to reveal how much his salary, along with his wife's and brother's salary as well. I guarantee you it's about 300% too much for each of them.
    He recons his salary is that of a typical c-suit, but what is he comparing that to, Electronic Arts? This is a unique company there is no other one of its size founded by CF money, not sure there sis another to draw a comparison from. I doubt he is drawing the huge wage of the CEO of EA, but bonuses and so on often outstrip the wage, it is the total package that counts.
  • KezBotKezBot Member UncommonPosts: 19
    At the end of the day the delivered product will tell the story.   
    ScotErillionTheocritus
    @Scot,
    and they started off their life as a fucking brand new studio at one point, and by working over the years making games then selling those games got to where they are today.
    you know, just exactly fucking like CI did by starting their studio, and are CURRENTLY WORKING THEIR GAMES TO COMPLETION.
    By the way, 2019 is on track yet again to be another year of record crowdfunding, meaning that wages and such are COVERED.

@mmolou,

Extremely simple really,  their starting game offerings are being actively constructed at this very second, however you fucking knew that. Squadron 42 a 3 game single player story line, And Star Citizen the MMO.

@rpmcmurphy,

Really, you playing that bullshit. where in that article was the 30 million wage payment ever fucking mentioned. The author started with 300 million in the title then dropped it 288 million then dropped it again to 242 million so which number they going by I wonder.
    The counter page shows 224,870,677.00 so much less than 300 million.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
    and before you fucking try and say, well the 46 million investment blah, blah, blah.
    The articles that came out for that story clearly stated that those funds where earmarked for Squadron 42 marketing EXCLUSIVELY, meaning it DOES NOT COUNT AS PART OF PLEDGE TOTALS.
    Chris Roberts came out and CLEARLY STATED HE WOULD NOT USE BACKER FUNDS FOR THE MARKETING OF SQUADRON 42, in his LETTER FROM THE CHAIRMAN.
    rpmcmurphy
    Durzax said:
    @Scot,
    and they started off their life as a fucking brand new studio at one point, and by working over the years making games then selling those games got to where they are today.
    you know, just exactly fucking like CI did by starting their studio, and are CURRENTLY WORKING THEIR GAMES TO COMPLETION.
    By the way, 2019 is on track yet again to be another year of record crowdfunding, meaning that wages and such are COVERED.

@mmolou,

Extremely simple really,  their starting game offerings are being actively constructed at this very second, however you fucking knew that. Squadron 42 a 3 game single player story line, And Star Citizen the MMO.

@rpmcmurphy,

Really, you playing that bullshit. where in that article was the 30 million wage payment ever fucking mentioned. The author started with 300 million in the title then dropped it 288 million then dropped it again to 242 million so which number they going by I wonder.
    and before you fucking try and say, well the 46 million investment blah, blah, blah.
    The articles that came out for that story clearly stated that those funds where earmarked for Squadron 42 marketing EXCLUSIVELY, meaning it DOES NOT COUNT AS PART OF PLEDGE TOTALS.
    Chris Roberts came out and CLEARLY STATED HE WOULD NOT USE BACKER FUNDS FOR THE MARKETING OF SQUADRON 42, in his LETTER FROM THE CHAIRMAN.
    You need to calm down, can the swearing and the capital letters. For the sake of your blood pressure I am going to give you some time to do that and reply tomorrow. :)
    rpmcmurphy
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Durzax said:

@mmolou,

SQ42 is now three games? so you are now claiming that CIG are making four games in total.... wow.
    Of course I knew that CIG are making their first game (s) with SC and SQ42, but that is not, and was not, the point.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
    edited May 2019
    Scot said:
    Durzax said:
    @Scot,

@mmolou,

@rpmcmurphy,

EA did not wait nine years to release their first game so the idea Cloud Imperium is doing the same thing is incorrect. They made their money selling games to become the company they have, CI is selling in game assets for a game that has not launched. Again not comparable.

When you say "on track" you mean as defined by the company itself, I am sure by their definition it has been "on track" every year. Not sure that really means anything concrete. To be fair games which are not CF do not have this pressure to produce the game from the public, but with all this money and nearly nine years it is not surprising to me that CI is being questioned about when a game will launch.

If Squadron 42 is not being marketed with money from backers what is it being funded by?

I quoted the $30 million from the article, the fact you are questioning it was not in the article does raise concerns about where you are coming from in your posts.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>>>
    If Squadron 42 is not being created with money from backers what is it being funded by?
    >>>>

That is not what he said. Re-read.

Have fun
    rpmcmurphy
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Scot said:
    Durzax said:
    @Scot,

@mmolou,

@rpmcmurphy,

You need to calm down, can the swearing and the capital letters. For the sake of your blood pressure I am going to give you some time to do that and reply tomorrow. :)
    That's what happens when you talk bad about their beloved Chris Roberts lol
    Erillion said:
    >>>>
    If Squadron 42 is not being created with money from backers what is it being funded by?
    >>>>

Have fun
    Fair point, I have changed the word "created" to "marketed" accordingly.
    Erillion
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited May 2019
    Scot said:
    Erillion said:
    >>>>
    >>>>

Have fun
    Fair point, I have changed the word "created" to "marketed" accordingly.

>>>
    If Squadron 42 is not being marketed with money from backers what is it being funded by?
    >>>

--->Answer: It is being funded by the fans and backers. Initial 2 % via Kickstarter, the other 98 % via CIG homepage.

--->Have fun