Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr - Necromancer Developer Deep Dive - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr - Necromancer Developer Deep Dive - MMORPG.com

The Elder Scrolls Online team has put out a new 6-minute video developer diary to "deep dive" into the creation of the Necromancer that will be coming with the Elsweyr expansion. Necros bring powerful abilities and a unique playstyle to ESO.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    *squees* I can't wait! :D
    Valdheim

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 106
    the anaimations look like such trash. For a game making so much money you would think they may reflect that in their animations and combat.
    Mr.GutsyRadooCyberFrogViper482Greatsword[Deleted User]LokrynWarlyx
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This thing with using necro powers affecting the Justice system.. not going to be good for those groups that organize and duel in towns, right?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    So are you a necromancer or lead singer in a heavy metal band throwing up 'devil horns'? That alone is some delusional high fantasy...
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I've been listening to some presentation videos and now I can't help wondering why they named their new territory "Elsewhere" ...
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    This thing with using necro powers affecting the Justice system.. not going to be good for those groups that organize and duel in towns, right?
    Maybe - there are places one could.

If people want to duel though its a big place - picking a waypoint and meetup up is easy enough to do.
  • RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    The lack of combat impact, the combat delay and wavy mechanics is what turns me off about this "Funcom" title.
    Greatsword
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Radoo said:
    The lack of combat impact, the combat delay and wavy mechanics is what turns me off about this "Funcom" title.
    That's actually Zenimax, are you thinking of a different game?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    Maybe - there are places one could.

If people want to duel though its a big place - picking a waypoint and meetup up is easy enough to do.
    A lot of people are too lazy and want to do it in a crowd - equal parts show off and be annoying methinks. I can't think of more popular dueling spot than right on top of the wayshrine in Vulkhel Guard. They are always there,
    gervaise1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Now people are suggesting making some vamp and ww skills illegal also.

With all the skills in this game it should be easy to create a build that uses zero forbidden Necro skills.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

With all the skills in this game it should be easy to create a build that uses zero forbidden Necro skills.
    I assume that - as with thieves etc. - necromancers will be able to wander freely around towns with as many illegal skills as they care to learn. It will be using - and being seen to use - these skills that will attract the pleasure of the guards!
    gervaise1 said:

I assume that - as with thieves etc. - necromancers will be able to wander freely around towns with as many illegal skills as they care to learn. It will be using - and being seen to use - these skills that will attract the pleasure of the guards!
    That's what I read somewhere.  I wonder if the thieves line cool-downs could be applied to the Necro wanted status. 
    gervaise1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Hope the lore is good. Story for me is a huge deal in ESO.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Did ESO ever implement real Action Houses and guilds for normal people or do they still cater exclusively to unemployed people who have all the time in the world to waste?
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I just cant get into eso. It dont hold me like ffxiv or wow.

• ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 245
    The absolute only thing keeping me out of ESO is the animation canceling combat. I've played it on and off, subbed on and off, but that combat style always has me quit.
    Viper482

gervaise1 said:

That's what I read somewhere.  I wonder if the thieves line cool-downs could be applied to the Necro wanted status. 

I think that would be how they will do it. Whilst they might change the timers the simple option would be to just plug the existing code in. It is a nice touch though imo.
    gervaise1 said:

gervaise1 said:

I think that would be how they will do it. Whilst they might change the timers the simple option would be to just plug the existing code in. It is a nice touch though imo.
    Indeed.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Redgaurd Necro. For the ancestors! 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Wow, a lot of the abilities are identical to the Necro abilities in Diablo 3, Zenimax should tread carefully. I doubt you could be sued for that, but they will surely be mocked for their lack of original creativity. The bone armor, the sickle swipe, sending a corpse to crash into the enemy, giant corpse golem, and summoning gravestones just for a few examples. Yeah sure I know, "What else would a Necro do?" people will say. But not only do the mechanics of how they work look exactly the same, but even all the way down to the colors you see in the abilities. The new class looks awesome and everything, but I was just surprised by the blatant copying going on here
    Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2019
    Dreycraft said:
    Wow, a lot of the abilities are identical to the Necro abilities in Diablo 3, Zenimax should tread carefully. I doubt you could be sued for that, but they will surely be mocked for their lack of original creativity. The bone armor, the sickle swipe, sending a corpse to crash into the enemy, giant corpse golem, and summoning gravestones just for a few examples. Yeah sure I know, "What else would a Necro do?" people will say. But not only do the mechanics of how they work look exactly the same, but even all the way down to the colors you see in the abilities. The new class looks awesome and everything, but I was just surprised by the blatant copying going on here
    There is nothing new about that. ZOS had been getting "inspiration" from D3 for a long, long time. The two most obvious examples are Champion / Paragon points and the heavy reliance on armor/weapon set bonuses.

Personally I love it since WOW has been doing the same thing for years borrowing ideas from a lot of other MMOs. Even something as simple as achievements was first done (as I recall) in Warhammer Online. Not to mention that WOW's brand of level scaling, which IMO is inferior to ESO's version came about a year and a half after ESO did it.

Games borrow / copy stuff from each other all the time.
    Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

black9ice said:

So are you a necromancer or lead singer in a heavy metal band throwing up 'devil horns'? That alone is some delusional high fantasy...

I think it's pretty cool. people didn't seem to mind it much in other games like wow where if you dance with an undead you're doing the same thing except head banging and stuff too.

it's just a game it's not that serious lol
    Valdheim
  • DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    edited May 2019

Iselin said:

Dreycraft said:

There is nothing new about that. ZOS had been getting "inspiration" from D3 for a long, long time. The two most obvious examples are Champion / Paragon points and the heavy reliance on armor/weapon set bonuses.

Personally I love it since WOW has been doing the same thing for years borrowing ideas from a lot of other MMOs. Even something as simple as achievements was first done (as I recall) in Warhammer Online. Not to mention that WOW's brand of level scaling, which IMO is inferior to ESO's version came about a year and a half after ESO did it.

Games borrow / copy stuff from each other all the time.

There is a big difference between borrowing general ideas just to use as a foundation and then making it better as opposed to making things look IDENTICAL to how they are in another game, especially something like spells and their art design. I have played a lot of rpgs/mmorpgs over the years and I have never encountered that before. ESO is a fantastic mmorpg imo, but I was none too thrilled to see them doing this. And again, I said the class still looks awesome, so I have no idea why you are bringing up WoW borrowing things to try to make ZOS look better for it.
    I knew there was something familiar about ESOs Necro but couldn't put my finger on it. Now I see what they've done. A good thing is you can mix skills from other skill lines and hopefully come up with something that's very unique.

But Like I said in the other thread. Necro should have been a skill line that anyone could pick up like the psijic order or mage guild skill lines, rather then having it as a class, unless it was a master necro class that could raise and keep perma pets among other things.
    Dreycraft

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    well since there's literally no other MMOs ever coming out I guess I'll shell out $60 for this and (re)play an outdated game.