Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCan Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market? - MMORPG.com

Blizzard is capitalizing on the launch of Classic World of Warcraft this year as a way to bring players back into the subscription model for their favorite MMO. Classic WoW will build the world prior to the massive success of Burning Crusade. Many forget the early times, the struggles, and most of all the fun of attacking each other in PvP. Warcraft in its original form had a ton to offer MMOers, but will it hold up in today’s market?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    After seeing the beta? No way.

The other thing I don't get about these servers though is that there's no avoiding the inevitable progression/end of the ride. Eventually the game you're playing will become the retail version.....so why bother? And even if it never moved beyond X or Y point.....you're not going to get new content then......so why bother?
    doomexxmentyAalamrBluelinerKlikae
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,501
    Look at OSRS and how well its doing!
    AlomarThupliKlikae

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

That saying that you can never go back comes to mind. You cannot go back and recapture that feeling you had when you first played classic. Nor can you go back and ignore the QoL issues that were present or some of the more tedious gameplay mechanics that faked depth. There are some awesome things to go back and see for sure and I think for 6-12 months it will be very successful at least until the content dries up.

People already complain that leveling an alt takes to long. They have no idea what it was like. I think it burns bright for a bit then falls to a smaller community that will keep a few realms going but that will be it.

The thing is that leveling back in the old day's actually had some challenge and fun game play, today's leveling is not boring just because it is too long, it holds zero reward or challenge to the player. and if you died, it was because you actually though you could pull a whole zone at a time.

I think the game design in the original world of warcraft is superior to retail and has a entirely different feel to it. The gear progression is also great in vanilla, because in vanilla you had to work for your gear and by equipping a new item you could actually feel a significant difference in you characters power and abilities to overcome enemies, In current retail the developers think of the players as dogs and giving them rewards for doing anything, and upgrades becomes so frequent that the feel superficial even if its a bit upgrade.

anyway, I am sure it will live throughout it's progressing up to at least AQ release and then it will start to drop. Player mindset and dedication to a title is not what it was before, but I do think a real spiritual successor to WoW would do well in today's market.
    deniterAethaerynWaanSinsaiIkisisGaladournValdheim
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    edited May 2019
    Maybe for 6 to 12 months. After that might be enough people for one server.
    I played at launch and no way I would go back. It was fun and many good memories, but it was all new then.
    AalamrMrMelGibsonklash2defKlikae
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    What market?
    XarkodoomexDrunkWolfTokkenGaladournvipermanorKlikae

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

What market?

There are approximately 2.2 billion gamers in the world. Out of the estimated 7.6 billion people living on earth, as of July 2018, that means almost a third of people on this planet are gamers. Out of those 2.2 billion gamers, 1.2 billion of those who play games are playing games on a PC.
    WhiskeydustSinsaiGaladournKlikae
  • AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49
    There are so many MMO games, but WoW is just classic. WoW Classic is classic, you get it?
    Galadourn
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It absolutely can hold up. people like playing with their old toys. That's why a Scooby-Doo metal lunchbox will set you back.
    Sovrathjj7009ThaharitchmonHatefullSinsaiGaladournKlikaemcd6993

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Is it weird that classic wow is going to kill current wow?
    rojoArcueidSBFordjgDuffayitchmonMaddog666GaladournKlikaemcd6993Valdheim

what if classic wow is the new expansion and everything we just went through was all the emerald dream
    SBFordachesomaitchmonMaddog666LeirosIkisisGaladournklash2defKlikaeValdheim

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    That saying that you can never go back comes to mind. You cannot go back and recapture that feeling you had when you first played classic. Nor can you go back and ignore the QoL issues that were present or some of the more tedious gameplay mechanics that faked depth. There are some awesome things to go back and see for sure and I think for 6-12 months it will be very successful at least until the content dries up.

People already complain that leveling an alt takes to long. They have no idea what it was like. I think it burns bright for a bit then falls to a smaller community that will keep a few realms going but that will be it.
    Yes, but it wouldn't be for those people. 

My main mmorpg right now is Lord of the Rings Online. Even with further development it really isn't too different from when it launched.

And for some of the quality of life features, such as fast travel, I mostly ignore.

The other three I play around in are Ryzom, Everquest and Black Desert. Two older games and one new game that doesn't have a lot of fast travel and leveling at the soft cap can take time.

It's not always about capturing that first mmorpg feeling. It can also be about capturing a certain type of game play because you just don't like modern mmorpg's.

And leveling in World of Warcraft, at launch was beyond easy when compared to some of the games that came before.

So these "Classic" games are for people who want older game play. Whether there are enough of them around remains to be seen.
    Galadourndarkhalf357xKlikae
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Riqqy82 said:
    what if classic wow is the new expansion and everything we just went through was all the emerald dream
    Oh shh, you! :D
    SeelinnikoiitchmonMaddog666LeirosIkisisGaladournMrMelGibsonKlikae

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've never been a serious WoW player, only dabbled a bit.  I am curious to see how Classic WoW goes.  I think this will help identify some answers to questions I have.  (How big is the nostalgia drive?  How dedicated are they?  Will Blizzard add expansions to the Classic WoW servers?)

Overall, I think that Classic WoW isn't going to be a major player for the long term.  There is likely to be a large glut of 'returnees' and the curious, but think this will be a short term phenomena, falling off significantly before a year.  So, I anticipate it to be similar to the various EQ1 progression servers, busy for a short while then dwindling off.  The biggest impact Classic WoW might have will be on Blizzard's other WoW servers.

The most impact that Classic WoW might have on other companies is to show them if this 'nostalgia-driven gamer' really exists, in what numbers, and how this market will react.  I won't be entirely surprised to see one or two of the in-development games targeting this 'nostalgia-driven' market make significant changes to their games.

gunklackerGaladournAalamrKlikae

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Riqqy82 said:

read the news not the first time a father killed their son. just the first time its been morally justifyable
    CaffynatedMaddog666GaladournKlikae
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

SBFord said:

Riqqy82 said:

Oh shh, you! :D

still better writing than bfa.
    SBFordGaladournKlikae
    or should i say nightmare LOL
    Klikae

everyone respawns oin felwood and xavius is a prophet =O
    SBFord

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Oh i pretty sure it can, we seen 45k people playing a 8 year old dead game on servers which got more rubber banding then a 10 year olds braces, the server will be full.....
    CryomatrixGaladourn
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Classic WoW will be a huge success. I'm honestly unsure why people think otherwise.
    NildenMaddog666ScorchienswagholeGaladourn
  • urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Just give me my 6 hour long Alterac Valley back, and I will be happy for a long time.
    SovrathGaladournTindale111SephrusKlikaeJakobmiller
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I'm holding out hope.
    Klikae
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Don't really see why it would be successful longterm but I can see it being huge for the first few months.

2004 WoW was never a great game but anyone could run it when the competition was EQ2 which ultimately killed itself by gaming on single core CPU performance. It released at the most perfect time. Balance was completely whack and some of the worst of any game (Blizzard have always been trash at balancing their games lets be real).

One problem is that a lot of people are going to classic wow with their experiences in the back of their head which will never materialise into anything other than "oh i remember the arcanite reaper i felt badass when i got mine". You can't experience mystery or not knowing things again.

Will be definitely huge success shortterm but long term? I don't see how it holds up. People get bored of games that feed them content every 3months and classic wow will not be able to do this.
    Klikae
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    My long answer would be: no.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Galadourn
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Probably not but i don't care, I'll take my trip down memory lane and enjoy every minute of it until it starts to bore me. I am very curious though to see how the newer players to the game receive classic and by newer I'm talking MOP to BFA. I view Classic as such a superior experience to anything current WOW offers and everything you do has so much more value & meaning, I wonder if they will feel the same.
    • Aloha Mr Hand !