Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Games Snaps Up Rocket League Developer Psyonix - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageEpic Games Snaps Up Rocket League Developer Psyonix - MMORPG.com

Epic Games has announced that it has purchased San Diego developer, Psyonix. Psyonix is best known for Rocket League, its popular Unreal Engine game. Rocket League will be making the move to the Epic Games Store later in 2019, though, at least for the time being, it will remain for sale on Steam. Epic has further clarified that it will continue to support the Steam version with DLC, patches and any other content that is released for PC.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Won't Rocket League have problems in Steam? This is an important question for many people.
    Tiller
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    All I want to know is which company will be bringing me The Oasis first?

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    OG_Zorvan said:
    So they want games to be exclusive to themselves, but have no problem selling their games on Steam? I think The Great Gaben should toss all Epic games and make Epic have to provide free keys for those who can no longer play their games through Steam. Start calling Epics bluff.
    Steam could refuse to sell them, but then that'd mean Steam would have to refuse profit on principle, which they don't appear to be doing.  So you want Epic to avoid it here on principle, but have no problem with Valve leaving theirs at the door?
    Sovrath

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    This sounds like an aggressive and intelligent move to undermine Steam. Rocket League remains one of the top user engagement games on Steam. 
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchiemaskedweasel
    Admirable, @Torval, and good luck to you all in your efforts to educate gamers...  But I can't help but feel you're trying to herd cats.
    SpottyGekkocmacq

If Epic and/or Valve would like to acquire studios, the least they could do is use these to produce new original content to prop up their storefronts.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    As long as they continue to support Rocket League on Steam with patches and DLC, I don't get the big deal. You can still buy it there from now through end of 2019 so again, what's the big deal?

Honestly, if you love Steam and you own Rocket League, absolutely ZERO changes for you. If you don't own it on Steam, but want to, you still can for about 7 months. After that, there are ZERO changes for you in terms of new content, patches, etc.

Just another tempest in a teapot and angry Steam-o-philes review bombing their rage.
    JeffSpicoliBaalzharonAeander[Deleted User]MadFrenchiebobbymcswansonThane

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited May 2019
    SBFord said:
    As long as they continue to support Rocket League on Steam with patches and DLC, I don't get the big deal. You can still buy it there from now through end of 2019 so again, what's the big deal?

Honestly, if you love Steam and you own Rocket League, absolutely ZERO changes for you. If you don't own it on Steam, but want to, you still can for about 7 months. After that, there are ZERO changes for you in terms of new content, patches, etc.

Just another tempest in a teapot and angry Steam-o-philes review bombing their rage.
    I agree with this point. With one caveat. If this in any way impacts the crossplay ability of Steam players, that would be an issue.
    SBFordMadFrenchie
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I guess buying the entire dev team is better value than trying to negotiate exclusive sales agreements, lol

All that cash is burning a hole in Epic's pocket, I wonder how many more indie teams they're going to buy ?
    JeffSpicoliSolancer
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The big thing about this is how hard Epic will push E-sports for rocket league under their pc storefront.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    As consumers, the important thing to remember here is this is a market driven war between two companies, but the fight is not for you.  Do what's best for you (be that wallet or convenience) and enjoy it while it lasts.  Neither of these companies are "good guys" or "bad guys" and neither deserve absolute loyalty or hate.

Steam had a great idea, and reaped the benefit for a while by charging game makers as much as they wanted (but below brick and mortar, that was their competition).  Epic is using their Fortnite windfall to muscle in on this market.

Epic ultimately is trying to get rid of Steam, and if they are successful, they'll do the same as Steam or worse.  Guaranteed.

JeffSpicoliSpottyGekkoMadFrenchie[Deleted User]Solancer
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Testing to see how many customers are willing switch from Steam to Epic. Wouldn't be surprised to see other Tencent owned games like POE, SMITE, Paladins making the move next.
    Solancer
    BruceYee said:
    Testing to see how many customers are willing switch from Steam to Epic. Wouldn't be surprised to see other Tencent owned games like POE, SMITE, Paladins making the move next.
    It would be really funny to see them get Smite as an exclusive considering their own canceled Paragon was a blatant and inferior sci-fi ripoff of Smite.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    BruceYee said:
    We'll have to see how that all plays out, seeing as Tencent and Epic now have "competing online stores, lol

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/08/tencent-wegame-x-store-worldwide/
    BruceYee said:
    As of the last report I read on Epic's install base, almost half the users don't actually have Steam installed.  

Don't make the mistake of thinking Epic has built their install base 100% by poaching Steam users, or that was ever their plan to begin with.  That's far from the truth.  They knew they had an automatic install base through Fortnite that gave them enough eyeballs to entice these devs into the exlclusive deals in the first place.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2019
     I dont see this as a very good move for Epic in the long run ,  at the time of migration Rocket League will have been out and on Steam for 5 years , most people who want to play it already own it , i dont see them ever reaching even 25% of the RL Sales steam has already had , And they have to support it on Steam .. weird move imo, and throw in its exposure on PS4 and the market shrinks further
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    3 cents, this move on EPIC part is to cause, user count migration and not actual sales, if say Epic manage to shift players from Steam to Epic. Epic see that's a win on population count is concern, if they are here and not over there, oh my how childish imo but its a another move but not very meaningful one.

IMO, games that matters most would be game without online component junk/mtx/loot boxes/cash shop. So Epic can own all of those, at least this way EPIC will be on par with google play store of crappy phone games all rolled into one place. Having said that, as long as good games are not exclusive will win this war, if i were to make a wager. The free to choose store will win my money. . . so where is your wallet at?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited May 2019
    If you look Steam isn't really even fighting back. Maybe a good approach is just to let the scrappy dog run out of hot air. I have this feeling the whole gloves off approach with Steam is gonna end badly for Epic when it comes to drawing new folks in. In doing so they are alienating potential customers, not just hurting Steam. It's pissing off folks who might have given them a shot, but now want nothing to do with them because they are forced onto another platform. For some folks it might be easy to bounce platform to platform, but some people have built small communities in Steam (not all are meme groups), this will ruin that.

[Deleted User]SpottyGekko[Deleted User]Solancer
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2019
    I'm surprised Epic haven't snatched PUBG from Steam through Tencent's deep connection to both Epic and Pubg.

That would be a major blow to Steam.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Epic said they'd stop exclusives if Steam lowered their revenue share of 30%.

All in all I don't really care.. I already run multiple launchers for different games I play and I already have EGS installed for Unreal Engine.
    SBFord

..Cake..

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019
    I'm surprised Epic haven't snatched PUBG from Steam through Tencent's deep connection to both Epic and Pubg.

That would be a major blow to Steam.
    Would it be worth it in terms of new sales though? And if it could no longer be played in Steam that - potentially - would upset Steam users; would they stick around?

For the PUBG devs that latter point would represent a serious risk to their current success. They would be worries about this and so would be unlikely, imo, to accept an offer from Epic.

Could Tencent influence things? Maybe. From what is reported though they seem to be hands off; owning chunks of multiple companies e.g. Activision Blizzard rather than running them.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited May 2019
    SBFord said:

this. so totaly +1.

i mean, np at all, if you love wasting your cash, just send the money to me, i'll take it for you. if you buy a game, just send 30% of the price to me and you are set.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    SBFord said:

Admirable, @Torval, and good luck to you all in your efforts to educate gamers...  But I can't help but feel you're trying to herd cats.

MadFrenchie
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    LOL now they're buying games that they don't even have the infrastructure to support... Fuck Epic
    JeffSpicoli

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    LOL now they're buying games that they don't even have the infrastructure to support... Fuck Epic
    They are just going to self implode, Its desperation at this point. They really thought they could release a platform and the average gamer was going abandon their massive STEAM library of games in favor of supporting corporate and dev profits on EPIC in addition to all the spyware and lack of features they don't have  :D   

Steam has already won and I'm not sure Epic even knows it, honestly i thought this was going to be a closer race
    • Aloha Mr Hand !