Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands 3 Won't Have Microtransactions, But It Will Have Lots of DLC - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBorderlands 3 Won't Have Microtransactions, But It Will Have Lots of DLC - MMORPG.com

During yesterday's Borderlands 3 livestream extravaganza, it was revealed that, while the game won't have microtransactions in the "traditional sense", there will be DLC for sale as the game matures. "We've made a commitment to what Borderlands is and supposed to be," said Randy Pitchford. "Our fans have told us loud and clear that they cherish and want us to preserve in Borderlands 3. There's no microtransaction-y, free-to-play kind of stuff."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited May 2019
    Give me the Borderlands 1 & 2 characters as playable (even if you justify it as clones), and I'll gladly purchase those. Most other dlc, I wouldn't bother with unless it's part of a collection/definitive edition.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I found Borderlands 2 to be fairly aright cash shop wise, I got all the dlc on discount and never used the store.
    JeffSpicoli
    Scot said:
    I found Borderlands 2 to be fairly aright cash shop wise, I got all the dlc on discount and never used the store.
    Right. I bought the Handsome collection on discount recently. Great purchase on my part.
    Scot
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Gonna wait for steam discount anyways. 
    doomex
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wont it just be like all the other releases then....? Look at all the DLC 2 and pre-sequel had.....Thanks gearbox for telling us you're gonna do what you have already been doing all this time.....
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited May 2019

you might be waiting a while then ill bet epic gets a 6 months exclusive/or outright exclusive deal on certain dlcs. Epic dont do sales that im aware of currently and this is probably one of the reasons randy picked epic over steam, so that DLC is always full priced
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

you might be waiting a while then ill bet epic gets a 6 months exclusive/or outright exclusive deal on certain dlcs.
    Epic dont do sales that im aware of currently and this is probably one of the reasons randy picked epic over steam, so that DLC is always full priced

and? he said discount he would be willing to wait at least a year for it

guys lets get real here, there is no reason to buy games at launch, tehre is too many to go around anyway

best to wait till the price drop and you buy cheap

nowadays you buy from launch you spend full price more 2x it on DLCs if you wait till it drop teh price, and they always drop the price, you can buy it half the price with the whole dlc
    ThaharPalebaneTacticalZombeh
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If how Borderlands 2 worked is any indication there's nothing wrong with DLC and nothing to see here, or really speak on.

They have good standing. Their previous DLC has always been awesome story extension + additional weapons/mechanics + additional character classes to play.

Hopefully by April there will be nice sales bundles.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Ill wait for a bundle. Wouldnt surprise me if they cut parts of the game out to sell as dlc a month after launch.
    [Deleted User]

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Every Borderlands game has a lot of DLC, and it's never really been much of a problem. Hoping they stick with the same model of DLC, it went on sale fairly often and didn't inhibit gameplay. 
    TacticalZombeh
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Every Borderlands game has a lot of DLC, and it's never really been much of a problem. Hoping they stick with the same model of DLC, it went on sale fairly often and didn't inhibit gameplay. 
    for you maybe, I find too many DLC annoying, another reason I wait over a year before buying anything
    [Deleted User]
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    Right. I bought the Handsome collection on discount recently. Great purchase on my part.
    I wanna play them both again.  But I gotta be honest: I've not launched anything other than Mordhau since its release.  That game is like an online competitive adaptation of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.  In a word: awesome.

Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    I wanna play them both again.  But I gotta be honest: I've not launched anything other than Mordhau since its release.  That game is like an online competitive adaptation of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.  In a word: awesome.
    How does it compare to For Honor?

For comparison's sake, the reasons why I regret purchasing For Honor are:
    1. The more fun, casual point control mode is less popular than 1v1 or 2v2 duels.
    2. Guard breaks and unblockables are overpowered and are easier to execute than they are to counter in a game which is supposed to emphasize directional blocking.
    3. Gender locking of way too many classes.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    How does it compare to For Honor?

For comparison's sake, the reasons why I regret purchasing For Honor are:
    1. The more fun, casual point control mode is less popular than 1v1 or 2v2 duels.
    2. Guard breaks and unblockables are overpowered and are easier to execute than they are to counter in a game which is supposed to emphasize directional blocking.
    3. Gender locking of way too many classes.
    Point control mode is one of the "main" game modes, so you shouldn't have trouble there.  This game emphasizes large masses of combatants hacking away at one another.  If you're facing competent opponents, the chances of your beating 2+ opponents outright is slim to none without some luck.  Friendly fire is always on, though with reduced damage.

I can't think of a single attack that's unlockable; even chamber strikes are parryable unless your opponent just has a much faster weapon.  The combat has ridiculous depth- there's parries, feints, ripostes, chamber strikes, kicks, stabs, swings (directionally with directional hit detection that makes positioning important, especially versus shielded enemies), ranged attacks (including throwing your melee weapon)...  There's swing speed manipulation via turning while swinging, but it's not ridiculously overblown like it is in Chivalry (no turning your back on your enemies to lean back Matrix style and stab over your head, for example).  Swings will collide with other objects, too, such as posts and walls, stopping your swing.  This and the friendly fire make choke points tactically useful, and gives an edge to smaller weapons when fighting indoors or in a crowd of your buddies.

As it's historically set, I don't think you can play a female combatant.  There are customization options for your avatar, though.  There are premade classes, but you can also create your own loadouts completely from scratch, so you can find a weapon you like and build around it.

EDIT- With all this said, be advised: combat is relatively slow in terms of how fast your character animations are.  This is intentional, though, because most actions lock you into completing them once you've committed.  This becomes the essence of strategy: bait out a parry attempt with a feint and follow up with a strike before your opponent can recover from the botched parry.
    Waan

• SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    lmao so BL3 have no mtx but only in DLC? Meanwhile I have to ask a rocket scientist to tell me the difference between a mtx and dlc, the reply is . . . basically its the same thing o_O, oh joy to dlc. . . as if!!!
    [Deleted User]
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    I can wait, or until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out o_o so then other games can be push back to the end of time I suppose.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    Solancer said:
    lmao so BL3 have no mtx but only in DLC? Meanwhile I have to ask a rocket scientist to tell me the difference between a mtx and dlc, the reply is . . . basically its the same thing o_O, oh joy to dlc. . . as if!!!
    I love how people use one to cancel out the other when people question their inclusion.

"No, they're not gouging with DLC. There are just optional cosmetic microtransactions in the cash shop."

"No, they're not milking you with a cash shop. It's all DLC!"

Outside of the bundles, Borderlands 2 DLC comes to about $157. Somehow I don't think Borderlands 3 will have a $15 bundle edition for many years.
    I am so glad, I thought I was going insane with the DLC praise the Borderlands series is getting. Its basically a cash shop outside of the actual game. Granted, the randomness factor is taken out which is great (lots of cash shops also lack a randomness factor I might ad) but you are still being nickled and dimed if you want it all and there is no way to gain this stuff in game. Hell, even MK11 lets you earn currency while playing, how little it may be.

The BL series has its fans which is great, but lets not act like they are doing us favors and are “getting with the gamers” by using this DLC construction.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Solancer
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer