Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A First Look at Borderlands 3 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

bgzgamer said:

oh look everyone saying they arent buying it from the epic store for whatever stupid reason they believe... come September, they are still going to buy the game after all this bitching. Whats new.

Oh yeah!? Well I'm for sure not buying it! ..... because I never bought any of the other Borderland games either. :D

I think i have Borderland 1 or 2 on steam and never got through it because i hated it. I found it to be nothing special like all the hype around it claimed. So i won't be buying either.
    Bananable
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited May 2019
    I am just shocked Gearbox Software, LLC has a working demo in what seems like a short period of time, while some games took years and are still broken trash??
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    So hows mAcrotransactions? :P

Kids now buzzing about that BS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1123659538392014849
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Meh, looks like zero evolution to the formula. Not interested in playing the exact same game again.
    esc-joconnor
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Bananable said:

Internet makes me sad. Feel sorry for Randy.

Oooo a repair kit in FO76.. Oooo a skin in BL3. Fairies.

Can they turn their attention towards something like GTA Online or Red Dead Online instead where you can literally turn real money into anything you want in game? That's the kind of thing that needs this kind of action.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a LOT wrong with this type of article writing,including tipping on the edge of breaking the law.

Furthermore we don't know ALL the facts ,although i know what typically happens it is NEVER revealed to us readers but ALWAYS kept a secret until someone inside spills the beans.

I have let's say about a 5% faith in this article being LEGIT and honest.Furthermore reviews are to be made about products ONLY when you have a reasonable amount of KNOWLEDGE about that product.
    I just read another article because yeah these are popping up everywhere now.

The website sensationalized the interview/review with

Borderlands 3 interview: Art team ‘busted their butts’ to create a striking art style.

Oh so this writer KNOWS for a fact they BUSTED THEIR BUTTS?You see this kind of bullshit turns me right off and pretty much tells me,know what i wouldn't support this dirty handed developer if the game was 5 stars.

What typically happens is the articles are sent in for review before being allowed to publish them.Then they are edited if not quite GOOD ENOUGH or the developer hints at "would be nice to see you sensationalize the article a bit more".

The ENTIRE gaming industry right is just full of crap,deceptive,misleading tactics.I can't find the video anymore but i did post it here before of a former close friend of a developer ratting out how the developer would not let him write his own HONEST article,they bickered a bit and their friendship parted ways.Not often does the TRUTH behind these deceptive tactics come out but sometimes the honest people relay the truth to us.
    [Deleted User]jimmywolf

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Arterius said:

Bananable said:

Can they turn their attention towards something like GTA Online or Red Dead Online instead where you can literally turn real money into anything you want in game? That's the kind of thing that needs this kind of action.
    I think Randy explained it on twitter the best. He said something along the lines of how he loves people are bagging on Borderlands 3 for having cosmetics MTX. That no one has any ideas how bad he had to fight 2K, for years, to not put any serious MTX in the game. Such as loot-boxes, currency, and golden keys.

Which is what I figured would be in the game. I do however, do not agree with Randy attacking a ton of people on twitter for telling him that cosmetic MTX suck. He seems like a hurt child.
    Given the amount of DLC of Borderlands 2 (and what was deemed acceptable at the time), I wouldn't expect anything else but a full blown MTX cash shop that sells absolutely everything in a situation much worse than the latest installment of Mortal Combat. As for Randy, he's consistent in:
    • Being greedy
    • Blaming 2K for the above
    • Attacking people pointing out the above
    I'm not very optimistic about the eventual state of this game. Unfortunately cash shop dependency design can't even be fixed by a "Complete edition" down the line.
    Solancer
    Xasapis said:
    Arterius said:

Bananable said:

I think Randy explained it on twitter the best. He said something along the lines of how he loves people are bagging on Borderlands 3 for having cosmetics MTX. That no one has any ideas how bad he had to fight 2K, for years, to not put any serious MTX in the game. Such as loot-boxes, currency, and golden keys.

Which is what I figured would be in the game. I do however, do not agree with Randy attacking a ton of people on twitter for telling him that cosmetic MTX suck. He seems like a hurt child.
    Given the amount of DLC of Borderlands 2 (and what was deemed acceptable at the time), I wouldn't expect anything else but a full blown MTX cash shop that sells absolutely everything in a situation much worse than the latest installment of Mortal Combat. As for Randy, he's consistent in:
    • Being greedy
    I'm not very optimistic about the eventual state of this game. Unfortunately cash shop dependency design can't even be fixed by a "Complete edition" down the line.
    What are you talking about? There is no cash shop. It's the exact same thing as they did with Borderlands 2. It's been stated already. They sold some skins for BL2 as well... and the DLC stuff was excellent content that was well worth the money, even the smaller headhunter stuff. It's going to be the 'same'.
    Xasapis said:
    Arterius said:

Bananable said:

• Being greedy
    What are you talking about? There is no cash shop. It's the exact same thing as they did with Borderlands 2. It's been stated already. They sold some skins for BL2 as well... and the DLC stuff was excellent content that was well worth the money, even the smaller headhunter stuff. It's going to be the 'same'.
    Randy already confirmed that there is a cash shop. How pervasive it is going to be remains to be seen. As I stated above, I'm not very optimistic about it and for the reasons I stated.
    Imo, the way things will play out is that the cash shop will go all out MTX on everything and then Randy will blame 2k, as per usual.
    Solancer
    edited May 2019

Xasapis said:

Xasapis said:

Arterius said:

Bananable said:

• Being greedy

Randy already confirmed that there is a cash shop. How pervasive it is going to be remains to be seen. As I stated above, I'm not very optimistic about it and for the reasons I stated.
    Imo, the way things will play out is that the cash shop will go all out MTX on everything and then Randy will blame 2k, as per usual.

He hasn't confirmed there's a cash shop, he's flat out stated there is no premium currency or anything like that going on. He's confirmed they will sell some skins, like they did with BL2 and in the same way they did with BL2.

.. unless there's something I've missed that you can show me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Hariken said:

bgzgamer said:

oh look everyone saying they arent buying it from the epic store for whatever stupid reason they believe... come September, they are still going to buy the game after all this bitching. Whats new.

Oh yeah!? Well I'm for sure not buying it! ..... because I never bought any of the other Borderland games either. :D

I think i have Borderland 1 or 2 on steam and never got through it because i hated it. I found it to be nothing special like all the hype around it claimed. So i won't be buying either.
    you won't buy it either? but you bought the first 2, even tho you didn't even like em.... soooooo....

comon, you know you will buy the third too, just to pretend to be cool on the school yard ;)
    gunklackerTacticalZombeh

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Xasapis said:

Xasapis said:

Arterius said:

Bananable said:

• Being greedy

He hasn't confirmed there's a cash shop, he's flat out stated there is no premium currency or anything like that going on. He's confirmed they will sell some skins, like they did with BL2 and in the same way they did with BL2.

.. unless there's something I've missed that you can show me.
    He himself said in the live stream that the game will feature a cash shop, similar to BL2. He later confirmed that in his tweets towards Game Informer, I believe.

I'm not sure why you associated cash shops with imaginary proprietary currency, when cash shops can work perfectly fine with plain cash. For example, both ESO and FFXIV have cash shops. The former has proprietary currency, the later does not.

Borderlands 2 used the Steam store as their MTX cash shop. The shop contains 47 "DLC", of which about 35 are cosmetic or level upgrade/map packs etc. They didn't use special currency, you could buy them directly with your normal currency through Steam.

The game launched in 2012. Meanwhile the industry has been boiling the frog all this time, to the point where we consider MTX in single player games "normal" monetisation and Anthem's and Mortal Combat's system unwanted but expected behaviour.

Which brings us back to the game developer and his history of greed. Both the 2nd and the upcoming 3rd installment have the potential to be build in the exact same way Anthem was built, with the added bonus of proper development time and a known IP behind the game. You can take his word at face value, while I can look at his past actions regarding both BL and his other games and remain skeptical and pessimistic towards the eventual monetisation model.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are different escalation regarding cash shop penetration. In certain cases, even the cosmetic items can be a deal breaker (take BDO for example and the complete lack of visual customisation outside the cash shop). Then you have pay to win items (typical example items that are sold as part of a "collectors" edition) and cheat codes (essentially what the BL2 keys are). The bane of the single player experience however is time gates (really invasive in mobile gaming).

One thing is certain in the current state of things. If there is no pushback, expect something equal or worse than Anthem to be implemented.
    [Deleted User]Solancer
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    People still complaining about epic store and mtx. LOL
    Xasapis
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

My body is ready for... April 2020. Can't wait.

raging kids are so cute.

won't think of you when playing it in september ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'll be as honest and offensive as I can be about this: I will fuck this game until it is broken. Can. Not. Wait.
    TheDarkrayneTacticalZombeh
    edited May 2019
    Xasapis said:

He himself said in the live stream that the game will feature a cash shop, similar to BL2. He later confirmed that in his tweets towards Game Informer, I believe.

I'm not sure why you associated cash shops with imaginary proprietary currency, when cash shops can work perfectly fine with plain cash. For example, both ESO and FFXIV have cash shops. The former has proprietary currency, the later does not.

Borderlands 2 used the Steam store as their MTX cash shop. The shop contains 47 "DLC", of which about 35 are cosmetic or level upgrade/map packs etc. They didn't use special currency, you could buy them directly with your normal currency through Steam.

The game launched in 2012. Meanwhile the industry has been boiling the frog all this time, to the point where we consider MTX in single player games "normal" monetisation and Anthem's and Mortal Combat's system unwanted but expected behaviour.

Which brings us back to the game developer and his history of greed. Both the 2nd and the upcoming 3rd installment have the potential to be build in the exact same way Anthem was built, with the added bonus of proper development time and a known IP behind the game. You can take his word at face value, while I can look at his past actions regarding both BL and his other games and remain skeptical and pessimistic towards the eventual monetisation model.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are different escalation regarding cash shop penetration. In certain cases, even the cosmetic items can be a deal breaker (take BDO for example and the complete lack of visual customisation outside the cash shop). Then you have pay to win items (typical example items that are sold as part of a "collectors" edition) and cheat codes (essentially what the BL2 keys are). The bane of the single player experience however is time gates (really invasive in mobile gaming).

One thing is certain in the current state of things. If there is no pushback, expect something equal or worse than Anthem to be implemented.
    Pointless discussing it further. You acknowledged that you're being sceptical and pessimistic. Basically, you're just making up predictions based on a guess. It's practically slander. Based on what's officially been said so far, your predictions don't have merit. Randy has pushed the point multiple times that the whole thing is going to be the same as Borderlands 2 was. That's what we have to go on, that's what we'll expect and I'll be right there with you if it turns out it was all bullshit.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    u can summon infinite robots but ammo is limited?
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Arskaaa said:
    u can summon infinite robots but ammo is limited?
    u can ammo robots.
    Xasapis said:

Pointless discussing it further. You acknowledged that you're being sceptical and pessimistic. Basically, you're just making up predictions based on a guess. It's practically slander. Based on what's officially been said so far, your predictions don't have merit. Randy has pushed the point multiple times that the whole thing is going to be the same as Borderlands 2 was. That's what we have to go on, that's what we'll expect and I'll be right there with you if it turns out it was all bullshit.
    If you want to be technical about it, it would have been libel, not slander.

However, I clearly stated that this is my opinion on how things will progress. I believe I'm allowed to be as optimistic or (in this case) as pessimistic as I choose. I do hope that the reception of Anthem and Mortal Combat gave a clear message of moderation regarding developer/publisher greed. You choose to believe that the specific developer has received the message and will remain true to his word. Personally, given his past and present actions, make me more cautious. 

In any case, as far as I'm concerned, Borderlands in general would have never been a day one purchase, even if the developer ends up following the exact monetisation model of BL2. The aggressive use of DLC for extra monetisation favours patience until a complete edition is presented. This is a policy I followed with other similarly monetised games, with the latest installment being the Assassin Creed: Odyssey with the most expensive digital edition including season pass costing me €53.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Thane said:

My body is ready for... April 2020. Can't wait.

raging kids are so cute.

won't think of you when playing it in september ;)

You accuse someone of raging for saying they're going to wait to play a video game, but got salty enough to say "I won't think of you when playing in September".

You're totally not a scorned ex-girlfriend.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    After watching the full reveal 1+ hour video, I really am impressed. It looks like a cross between Borderlands 2 and the movement & gunplay of Titanfall, and that is a great combination. If I have a criticism of the current Borderlands titles, it's that movement isn't as fun as it should be, especially for melee builds.