Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explosive Article Digs Deep Into Star Citizen Fundraising & Development - MMORPG.com

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

NorseGod said:

Lol not sure what point your proving with that picture?

You do realize that is a Mexican flag on the back of the boat right.

I once booked a 7 day trip to Cancun Hotel and airfare for less than $1500.

Cabo san lucas for 5 days $800.
    It's just a meme pointing out the irony as intended. Enjoy the article.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    At least SC is one game where we don't have to guess what it cost to make, lol
    NorseGod
  • 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I'm actually pretty happy with the state of the game and think they are coming along nicely. They just rebooted the game in 2015, that's not even 4 years since then. MMO's take 5-8 years to develop and usually get scrapped once or twice in the process.

Don't care if it goes bust, was worth the chance to break the mold and it will get done. It will get done, because we will continue to throw money at it until it does. People always want to tear things down, it's easy to be negative and humans beings love seeing others in misery. Me, game does everything I want it to and I'll continue to fund that as long as there is forward progression. I don't wish failure upon anyone, and I would hope for every game to succeed.
    cmacqGdemamibwwianakiev
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    JeroKane said:
    You mean "Click bait" garbage site Forbes? LOL! I wish I could block that crap site from my Flipboard! /Facepalm

So 129 consumer complaints out of how many backers? Maybe they should check out Activision and EA for example and the their listing on consumer complaints lol.

EA and Bioware spend over 300 million in development on SW:TOR back in the day and look what they delivered for that money.

I am not saying Chris Roberts is perfect, since there is definitely some level of mismanagement going on there and quite a bit of money has been unnecessary wasted (switching from CryEngine to Amazon game platform for one).
    But that is due to feature creep and the immense scope of the game... or rather two games. Squadron42, where Top level actors were hired in for Voice and Cameo work, which doesn't come cheap. You can bet half the budget went into that alone!
    Then we have Star Citizen which has a huge scope now on itself together with the persistent universe.
    You're kind of being misleading and dishonest here. Not sure I would trust your opinion over Forbes.

Some people can't afford $1,000s in lawyer and court fees to refund $35-$24,000. So they gave up and moved on.

EA and Activision have been around longer and have launched games that exists, even if they are garbage companies. CIG has not even made it past pre-alpha despite the money and staff you people boast about (when it's convenient for your argument). Not a good look.

Persistent universe? They haven't finished a single solar system yet after 7 years. They sold the game as having over 100 hand-crafted systems.
    NephethGdemamibwwianakievHatefull
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Dodged a bullet not backing this one, maybe in 2030 it'll release with 75% of it's features.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Another day, another website harvesting clicks from the "Omg, it's SC !" factor, lol

Can't blame them really, it's money in the bank, so to speak... :smiley:
    Groqstrong
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    When you put people in high places that are family that have no experience or training for the job, it is a sign of poor leadership in my opinion. 

I'd rather put money to singularly crowdfund my stock portfolio. If it goes to zero, it goes to zero, but if likely it will be of similar value. 

NorseGodGdemamiHatefull
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    When you put people in high places that are family that have no experience or training for the job, it is a sign of poor leadership in my opinion. 

I'd rather put money to singularly crowdfund my stock portfolio. If it goes to zero, it goes to zero, but if likely it will be of similar value. 

I betrayed my inner gamer and bought some Zynga stock the other day.

I know, I know; mobile/browser gaming is the bottom of the swamp of microtransactions.  But 58% return year over year made throwing a little bit of cash into it too enticing.  Earnings call today will set the mood for the next quarter; the investor hopes it goes well, the gamer hopes it doesn't. :D 
    NorseGodCryomatrix[Deleted User]Hatefull

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

I dunno.. if I am not mistaken... his wife is in charge of marketing right? 

You can say a ton of bad things about the development of this game... but let's be fair here... $300M in funding is a fucking home run for marketing.

Her contribution will ultimately (maybe already?) have a greater impact on our hobby than Chris will.

GdemamiBrotherMaynardanemoHatefull

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I betrayed my inner gamer and bought some Zynga stock the other day.

I know, I know; mobile/browser gaming is the bottom of the swamp of microtransactions.  But 58% return year over year made throwing a little bit of cash into it too enticing.  Earnings call today will set the mood for the next quarter; the investor hopes it goes well, the gamer hopes it doesn't. :D 
    HA!  I have a friend who bets against his teams so he "wins" either way :)

MadFrenchieanemo

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SgtGunnySgtGunny Member UncommonPosts: 3

Tiller said:

This is good journalism. :D

Yeah, "GOOD" journalism, except the part where they completely over-estimated the total amount of revenue gained by 75 MILLION DOLLARS. It's actually around $225. But, yeah, other than that HUGE mistake, it's "good journalism." :D

p.s. I have spent a total of $0.00 on Star Citizen.
    [Deleted User]infomatz
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    This isn't news.
    NorseGod
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I was expecting a real explosion but this is just partly exculpatory ("it's not fraud just gross mismanagement") details that we all already knew even if we just watch this train wreck casually.

It's more like an armpit fart kind of explosion.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiHatefull
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    edited May 2019
    The article is largely pointless. The TLDR version of it is that "yes they are making a very successful crowdfunding game... but how people chose to spend their money is up for an ethics debate".

The bit about Robert's personal drama featuring his ex wife and his current one is unnecessary, borderline tabloid trash. I have yet to meat anyone with some amount of wealth that has not had stupid drama in their life, especially if you live here in California (where I also reside). The more high profile you are, the easier it is to get noticed.

Forbes is just looking for clickbait at this point with this piece. The only valid criticism Star Citizen has, based on the article, is that its taking too long to finish, yet they admit it is being made.

While long development times, with multiple set backs, is uncommon, it is also not unheard of. Look at most of Blizzard's biggest sellers, Diablo 3 started development back in 2001 and after a ton of ups and downs it came out in 2012. Starcraft 2 was in development for a bit over 7 years, same with LA Noir (Rockstar games). Maxis Games took 8 years to make Spore. Valve's Team Fortress 2 took about 9 years.

What SC is doing is in a far larger scope than any of those titles, so while it is legitimate to criticize the development time within reason, the article writers should also take into consideration that its not like this length is unheard of either. Over promising and feature creep are unfortunately more common than it should be. The only nature that changes things this time around is that previous titles were funded by big publishers, where as SC is done largely by fans (crowd funding) via a product that sells itself as in development.

Food for thought.
    Gdemamibwwianakiev
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    edited May 2019
    I believe at some point this cluster fuck of a project will force legislation on crowd funding and hurt future projects. I will be swole AF if my precious future tabletop kickstarters start costing more money
    Gdemamianemo
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited May 2019
    That's what happens when you fail to recognize sunk costs early; it's a downward spiral from there on.

PS: I would love to see it launch however.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    I was expecting a real explosion but this is just partly exculpatory ("it's not fraud just gross mismanagement") details that we all already knew even if we just watch this train wreck casually.

It's more like an armpit fart kind of explosion.
    I'm good with him getting some heat though. Playing the expectation blame game and his smug industry insight is totally insufferable.

The entire development hoopla and drama around this game has totally turned me off from playing it. I don't even want to play Squadron 42 at this point because it will just remind of this kind of crap, and all the arguments, and blah blah blah.
    Yeah I feel the same about playing them even if against all odds they turn into solid games.

I do follow this saga from a safe distance though - more as a cringe worthy narrative on the dark underbelly of gaming and irrational gaming fans. It's a sad cautionary tale of gaming dreamers being skillfully separated from their money by slick marketers. 
    [Deleted User]SBFordGdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2019
    Torval said:

I don't even want to play Squadron 42 at this point because it will just remind of this kind of crap, and all the arguments, and blah blah blah.
    Sadly I do.  It's all I ever wanted from this... and I still want it. 

I acknowledge I have a problem.
    [Deleted User]KilraneGdemamiinfomatz

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited May 2019
    Elidien said:
    If this wasn't Star Citizen and the cult of CR at work here, this site would be having a cow. I love the defenders that attack the article, the site, the everything. If any other game company was making a game with $225-300 million in funding, this many years in development and produced what little they produced, people would freak the hell out.

Star Citizen has that much in funding and still says $400 ships and really has very little to show for it.

Bethesda adds repair kits to the store in FO 76 and many on this site become Chicken Little prognosticating about the end times.

I simply don't get it.
    Where do you think all that money is going? Lobbying in defense of this steam locomotive train wreck, it's just my guess though.

At least we know all this wasn't Derek Smart's fault. lol

Gdemami[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited May 2019
    Elidien said:
    Bethesda adds repair kits to the store in FO 76 and many on this site become Chicken Little prognosticating about the end times.

I simply don't get it.
    Quite simple actually.

Bethesda is milking a cow, being about profitability.

Star Citizen is funding upkeep not profiting, look at its financials and you'll see they spend more money on the operations of the title development than what they earn via its crowdfunding, losing money forcing to use cash reserves/investors.

Why exactly should everyone be outraged about them sustaining what became now a +500 employees company? The money is re-invested and clearly so, they don't have a margin to do otherwise.

Is a big difference if this company was pocking the money for profit sakes making the upkeep being part of what they directly earn, now that yes would be something to get some angry mobs on!
    GdemamibwwianakievNephethTacticalZombehKyleran
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I'm glad I never put money towards this game, because the return on investment is absolute shit.

From all the details coming out of this company, it's very clear that Roberts isn't trying to make a game. If anything, it'd be more accurate that he's having players finance his dream. That's why he is seemingly so unfocused, and why the money players give his company is going at odd places.

I mean, seriously, you haven't build a single solar system yet (out of a 100 'planned'), which also means that you haven't even started implementing a working story yet - because where is the story supposed to bring you if you don't have a solar system to visit - but you're already hiring highly-paid actors for Motion Capture and Voice Acting?

And then there's the employee who left with only 5 out of 17 characters being 'approved' over such a long period of time? The other developer being stuck working for several months on making a ship's energy(?) shield all pretty? What. The. Fuck.

The priorities are clearly all wrong, and it goes back to my original point. Roberts is more concerned about making his dream come true than making a game. His vision is clearly tainted by his visibly high self-esteem, making him micromanage everything, despite all of his failures in both the video game and movie industry. And who knows how much money he, his wife and brother takes out of this 'game', but given the $30M salary mentioned in the article, I'm sure he's probably racking in at least that much himself.

But hey, clearly it's working for him. $300M selling virtual ships for a game that's not even 1% complete? (not even 1 solar system out of 100...), I'm clearly in the wrong industry if players falls for these schemes so easily.

*poorly draws a ship on some napkins* Look here guys, I've got some ship designs for sale!
    TillerGdemami
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    As an impartial observer that has no real interest in this game or hate towards people that kickstart things, or kickstarter in general - I don't get it. This is just drama. He is making a game that a lot of people want and are willing to pay good money for. Its not released, its not live, so why would there be an expectation of optimization?

I don't understand all the gate and drama. The people that hate this game seem to be the exact same type of people who like to tell me the wow Classic server will fail because I'll be bored in a couple weeks and want to move on to whatever video game all the kids are watching other people playing.

Just relax and stop thinking you're normal and everyone thinks just like you and you have all the correct answers. There are plenty of things of substance to validly hate - but people funding a game they want isn't one of them. And neither is a developer making that game and that game not living up to the expectations of some of the people who funded it, and tons of people who didn't.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    F**k this guy, I hope they turn the place upside down.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I'm confident that the game will eventually launch.  The question is whether it will eventually resemble a finished product, or if they'll run out of money and have to take what they have and push it out the door.
    ConstantineMerusScotMadFrenchieHatefullKyleran