Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Reddit & One Player's Hype for the Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageNew World Reddit & One Player's Hype for the Game

While the current New World alpha is under NDA, one Reddit user named "geekeasyalex" has posted several reasons why he's excited about the game. The things he states are purposely vague so as to not be in violation of the NDA, but he believes the game is something special. "It's like SWG, Albion Online, and EVE had a baby and dressed it in all the graphically enhanced Skyrim mods you could muster," he wrote.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Interesting, but not really too much information due to NDA.
    SBFordKyleran[Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I don't know why they insist on calling this an MMO. The combat and gameplay mechanics are 100% survival ala Rust or ARK.
    [Deleted User]elfdragon21sumdumguy1
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Uh... because it has 1500 people on a server and is persistent? Mechanics alone don't dictate genre. nor does server size. A game CAN be a survival MMO. And in New World, the eating and drinking are just buffs, not killers.
    ConstantineMerusButch808ChaserzValentinaBlueThunderBearAzaron_NightbladeFacelessSaviorBlacklabelcaliManWithNoTan[Deleted User]and 6 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I haven't been real impressed with the playing of this game, I have had the chance to play a few times and its just to much of the same with a few twists, it feels to much like Outward with some Multiplayer features..
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

And in New World, the eating and drinking are just buffs, not killers.

Thank goodness.
    TacticalZombehjordiincraas
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Uh... because it has 1500 people on a server and is persistent? Mechanics alone don't dictate genre. nor does server size. A game CAN be a survival MMO. And in New World, the eating and drinking are just buffs, not killers.
    You didn't get a free pass even for the one time you were being correct! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I don't know why they insist on calling this an MMO. The combat and gameplay mechanics are 100% survival ala Rust or ARK.
    Shhh, they take the "liberal" interpretation of that term here, though in this case it might actually be the first real survival "MMO"
    ScotConstantineMerussumdumguy1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    edited May 2019
    I approach this with a great deal of cautious optimism. Weve all been hurt too many times.
    ConstantineMerus
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    GUI and controls suck, why does every damn game/dev house have to try to re-invent the wheel to 'appear' different. Also the game lacks a soul/feel. I have alpha/beta'd way better from way less.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    They need to rework the combat on this one.
    elfdragon21
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2019
    Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Kyleran said:

Shhh, they take the "liberal" interpretation of that term here, though in this case it might actually be the first real survival "MMO"

By liberal do you mean make it up as you go along? OK that was unfair and I know nothing about this game but as soon as Bill says the words "persistent world" I do roll my eyes, sorry Bill. :)
    Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Florida man fed liberal MMO believers to pet crocodiles. 
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited May 2019
    1) I've been in and out of the same demo this whole time

2) The housing/land is NOT like Archeage in the least bit. There's no happy neighbors building housing and farming. This is a gross misrepresentation, unless the Morrowtide update absolutely upended the game

3) I don't know about guild limits but I saw some form of zerging when the population was there. The only way top stop zergs is to allow small groups to out smart and punish it. The combat is so bad, and doesn't allow it.

4) The combat is not methodical, NOT Dark Souls, its literally 2-3 buttons (depending on weapon). There is no skill bar. It makes Pantheon look like Street Fighter. I know reading this you'd think "hyperbole" "conjecture" but I have no reason to "hate" beyond it being something to hate.

5) Quick transition from new player, blah blah blah. This is bogus IMO. As a new player the first thing you do is run around picking up rocks and sticks and chopping down trees to level. Maybe I expected more than Rust and that's where my bias is from. They sold it in as a bit more than that.

6) None of that VOIP or intentions stuff matters. If someone is bored they're going to go rogue and hunt you down for giggles. There is no "great community" it's an empty bar/club. If it was so populated they wouldn't have 86'ed the East Coast server.

7) I do agree that the engine is smooth considering it's so early, but they don't really have anything else.

TL;DR
    The "housing" comparison to Archeage is a lie. The combat comparison to Dark Souls is a MOTHER F#$%ing lie. New World is Amazon Rust or Amazon Atlas. There isn't an ounce of RPG in this beyond stats and leveling. As it stands I believe Amazon is hunkered down on the direction so the "It's alpha give it time" argument is going to change anything.
    AwakenHD[Deleted User]DragnelusNyteWytchinfomatzTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]sumdumguy1
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Is the combat first or third person or optional for either? and in third person is character off to the side of the screen so it looks like im playing with one eye shut or is it normal third person?
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Still don't think this game will be released. When you think of how many years and millions have been spent on this and now getting people to try raise hype by comparing to other games means they have no confidence in their product. When if it gets released they will have to reveal as a good faith gesture what exactly went into making the game like SWTOR did eventually and I think the details will get a collective facepalm straight across the board not just in the gaming industry. When you factor in all those things with how gamers will receive this game that was labeled an MMO but isn't really that's exactly the type of failure the richest man in the world probably wouldn't want on his record seeing as he's had a few failures recently and he has an almost unlimited number of critics just waiting for the next one.

The problem I saw from the start that I mentioned years ago after their announcement stream was he had hired too many vision-less leecher devs rather than ones interested in creating a spectacular game from their probably almost unlimited funding. AGS would've probably been better off doing what Albion did and put a young guy with passion and drive as lead and not hiring the gaming equivalent of the DC swamp who is only concerned about collecting that paycheck and looking out for their own which in AGS case is almost everyone there..
    Bezos was taken advantage of by devs who knew that he knew nothing about gaming so probably gave BS reasons for things that probably even forum posters here know is BS all while collecting paychecks and prolonging their employment. He should take every last one of them to court for misleading him in ways that are very obvious now to anyone who knows anything about gaming.

AGS really had a chance to do something great for PC gaming but after Breakaway and this I'm not sure that's possible anymore unless they scrap it all and start from scratch or just invest in games like CU, CF, Pantheon that are already being developed by competent people and publish those games to give those devs the kick in the rear they need.
    Blacklabelcali
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

Elvoc said:

it feels to much like Outward with some Multiplayer features..

Sounds awesome.....

• xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I will say what I can say.. as a player of New World Alpha.
    In no shape or form is it even close to outward...

Umm hmm it is hardcore on Company (Guild) gameplay.. however, with that being said they have made some things and features that would help solo players or small group of players able to play the game to a point until they will need a company to progress and what i mean by progress is gear wise... maybe I giving to much info out..

They just gave us a new area to play with but thats all im going to say about that.. the Map is huge for being just a fraction of what it will be at launch of game.. south is for new players while going north gets harder and harder..

They take players feedback to the HEART.. they have a vision for there own game but they really do listen to the player base and tweak things based on it...

They want us to exploit everything in the game and I mean everything.. at one point players were getting outside of the playable map while doing some trickery :pensive:
    whole server found out crafting was the best way to lvl which got hotfix real quick
    player pyramids where being used to hope over walls.. they fix the collision box's so you cant stand on each other anymore..

I wish I could give more info without getting kicked out.. 

I will say this.. Get pumped, get excited because this game is going to be a hit for how long I dont know because currently you need a guild and a big one at that to be able to do anything.. Maybe this will change when the whole world gets released but right now 2 guilds dominate..

It is survival PVP game.. But Amazon has told us many many times they will not allow a gank fest game.. You can kill someone in the game at any given time but once you do that your criminal and you get a looooong timer at must 24 hours and if you die you drop everything...

Its open world sandbox do what you want when you want where you want.. 

Thats all I will say..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    xDjevik said:

Umm hmm it is hardcore on Company (Guild) gameplay.. however, with that being said they have made some things and features that would help solo players or small group of players able to play the game to a point until they will need a company to progress and what i mean by progress is gear wise... maybe I giving to much info out..

They just gave us a new area to play with but thats all im going to say about that.. the Map is huge for being just a fraction of what it will be at launch of game.. south is for new players while going north gets harder and harder..

They take players feedback to the HEART.. they have a vision for there own game but they really do listen to the player base and tweak things based on it...

They want us to exploit everything in the game and I mean everything.. at one point players were getting outside of the playable map while doing some trickery :pensive:
    whole server found out crafting was the best way to lvl which got hotfix real quick
    player pyramids where being used to hope over walls.. they fix the collision box's so you cant stand on each other anymore..

I will say this.. Get pumped, get excited because this game is going to be a hit for how long I dont know because currently you need a guild and a big one at that to be able to do anything.. Maybe this will change when the whole world gets released but right now 2 guilds dominate..

It is survival PVP game.. But Amazon has told us many many times they will not allow a gank fest game.. You can kill someone in the game at any given time but once you do that your criminal and you get a looooong timer at must 24 hours and if you die you drop everything...

Thats all I will say..

And all I will say is Welcome to the Forums! :)
  • xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Scot said:
    xDjevik said:

Thats all I will say..

And all I will say is Welcome to the Forums! :)
    If I could remember my email that had when I first came to this site back in 2007 i believe.. I would use that account... However that account was a hotmail account and I no longer have access to or at least I cant remember what email I wouldve used back than.. I was 21 than.. 34 now.. no idea what it could be lol
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Didn't care for it
    elfdragon21

Elvoc said:

Sounds awesome.....

Outward has real combat and spells/skills at least.  New world has a couple buttons max.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I really enjoy it. And I hate survival games but there is something about this one. Honestly the way it is set up they would be better off using skill increases on use instead of levelup perks. Keep experience levels for start allocation.

Other than that this is by far the most enjoyable survival game I've played. Even though some jerk trained a bear on me to kill me and loot me. Guess I wasn't high enough level for them to attack.
    Existentialist
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Elvoc said:

Sounds awesome.....

Outward has real combat and spells/skills at least.  New world has a couple buttons max.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm thinking Mordhau or Vermintide gameplay, just on an mmorpg scale.
    Xasapis said:

Elvoc said:

Sounds awesome.....

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm thinking Mordhau or Vermintide gameplay, just on an mmorpg scale.
    Not even close.