Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take Part in the Star Citizen: Free Fly Event From May 1-8 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTake Part in the Star Citizen: Free Fly Event From May 1-8 - MMORPG.com

From May 1st through May 8th, players are invited to the latest Free Fly event. Anyone can try out Star Citizen for free throughout the week and can explore Alpha 3.5 that includes the new ArcCorp planet, the new female characters and the new character customization tool. Lastly, players can experience the "new flight model that adds gravity to planets to achieve deeper and more realistic atmospheric flight".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

WalkinGlenn

Comments

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Will try it out for sure. I could not try out the game properly before with my Nvidia GTX 960. Purchased the gtx 1660 and implemented +8gb ram, so let's see how it will play out, performance wise.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    100Gb download?
    TillerMegilindirPalebane

Thank you for your time!

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Played in the other events and will likely this one as well to see if performance has been improved and what improvements have been made to make the game fun. Lots of pretty visuals but I have always had a hard time finding what was fun about the game. Maybe with the additions of 3.5 there is something there to hang my hat on.
    Just curious about your rig since you are looking to see if performance has "improved".  Some of the latest videos Ive seen from people look to be getting very high FPS even in densely populated city scapes, looks like 70FPS or more. Which to me is acceptable, anything under 60 is unplayable in my opinion.
  • roflwafflelawlroflwafflelawl Member UncommonPosts: 3

Played in the other events and will likely this one as well to see if performance has been improved and what improvements have been made to make the game fun. Lots of pretty visuals but I have always had a hard time finding what was fun about the game. Maybe with the additions of 3.5 there is something there to hang my hat on.

Hey I recently got into SC and currently, and probably at launch, the game is heavily sandbox meaning what you find fun in the game is, well, up to you. If you want a taste of what a more focused gameplay is like I highly suggest checking out an Org (Organization). It's basically a guild or a community of players that will typically play together.

If you like large scale battles Rexzilla has an Org where they schedule daily 50 player battles in some epic scenarios (on a moon, in one of their MASSIVE ships, themed, etc). If you like exploration and just cruising there's that too. There are organized ship races too if you have a racer.

If you just want a taste though the first things you want to do is find the console to spawn your ship and proceed to the pad it tells you to go. Once you've navigated to your ship you can open your mobiglass (f1) and find the mission log where you can accept missions in different flavors. The games as immersive as you let it, though with a grain of salt with any crashes or bugs you may experience.

If you want to check out the 2 cities in the game theres one called Lorville over at Hurston and Area18 over at ArcCorp.

Overall performance is doing great. I've got an i5-9600k (oc at 4.8), 2060 (MSI Ventus), 16gb RAM, on an SSD with W10. 1080p and getting lowest dips at around 60 but for the most part at mid 70s-80s (bit better in space). Games more CPU heavy it seems so all in all it's running well imo.

I do suggest installing it on an SSD. The game seems to noticeable improve on one than not so please do so just to avoid any possible issues.

3dom said:

100Gb download?

It's amazing how large game files are getting.  I thought for sure when I bought my 2T SSD  I'd be good for 5 years.  I'm already 3/4 full and I don't have that many games on it.  And no, I don't down load music, movies, etc...

Just wanted to clarify that Star Citizen is currently about 48gb

Xarktard
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

I do have and old I5 4 cores and GTX 1070 and got between 40 to 70 fps depending on area. The most important is to get an SSD for both OS and SC.
    They are pretty cheap by now and even for those not looking for SC, this is a PC changer.
    Xarktard
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    goboygo said:
    Just curious about your rig since you are looking to see if performance has "improved".  Some of the latest videos Ive seen from people look to be getting very high FPS even in densely populated city scapes, looks like 70FPS or more. Which to me is acceptable, anything under 60 is unplayable in my opinion.
    The performance is now improved to the point where high-end gaming rig can get good performance as long as you aren't trying to max out the settings.

But it's still more demanding than new AAA games so that many people who don't feel any need to upgrade their PC because everything else runs just fine have trouble with Star Citizen.
    Scot

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Hey I recently got into SC and currently, and probably at launch, the game is heavily sandbox meaning what you find fun in the game is, well, up to you. If you want a taste of what a more focused gameplay is like I highly suggest checking out an Org (Organization). It's basically a guild or a community of players that will typically play together.

If you like large scale battles Rexzilla has an Org where they schedule daily 50 player battles in some epic scenarios (on a moon, in one of their MASSIVE ships, themed, etc). If you like exploration and just cruising there's that too. There are organized ship races too if you have a racer.

If you just want a taste though the first things you want to do is find the console to spawn your ship and proceed to the pad it tells you to go. Once you've navigated to your ship you can open your mobiglass (f1) and find the mission log where you can accept missions in different flavors. The games as immersive as you let it, though with a grain of salt with any crashes or bugs you may experience.

If you want to check out the 2 cities in the game theres one called Lorville over at Hurston and Area18 over at ArcCorp.

Overall performance is doing great. I've got an i5-9600k (oc at 4.8), 2060 (MSI Ventus), 16gb RAM, on an SSD with W10. 1080p and getting lowest dips at around 60 but for the most part at mid 70s-80s (bit better in space). Games more CPU heavy it seems so all in all it's running well imo.

I do suggest installing it on an SSD. The game seems to noticeable improve on one than not so please do so just to avoid any possible issues.

3dom said:

100Gb download?

It's amazing how large game files are getting.  I thought for sure when I bought my 2T SSD  I'd be good for 5 years.  I'm already 3/4 full and I don't have that many games on it.  And no, I don't down load music, movies, etc...

Just wanted to clarify that Star Citizen is currently about 48gb

Welcome to the Forums, OK you have been around a while but need to post more. :)
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I just wnat more ships! I got 40K Euro I want to spend! More SHIPS more MORE SHIIIIIIPS!
    Xarko

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Mensur said:

I just wnat more ships! I got 40K Euro I want to spend! More SHIPS more MORE SHIIIIIIPS!

... but... starter package (pledge) is 35 to 45$ max and no need to spend more as everything will be achievable in game with in game Credits. For the lucky early backer, 35$ give both Squadron 42 (solo) and Star Citizen (MMO). Best pledge/spend I ever done on any triple-A...
    Xarktard
  • ArrowArrow Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Is the event active yet? I'm still getting a 404 error.
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

Arrow said:

Same here...
  • DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134

Arrow said:

Same here...

Me three, maybe it's region locked or something?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The link on the RSI site is still 404 (LOL wut?), but here's one from Cloud Imperium

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/events/star-citizen-announces-alpha-3-5-free-fly-beginning-wednesday-may-1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TorgamaticTorgamatic Member UncommonPosts: 29
    SO needed to postpone or cancel this. So many bugs with basic functions in 3.5. Will not help too gather more popularity or backers. Will in fact turn off prospective backers. Bearinmind that it is still an ALPHA,and if running well enjoyable. However 3.5 is not running smooth. Work is still needed to fix this. (my2c)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    3dom said:
    100Gb download?
    This is why I am not a fan of voice acting and cutscenes...They add a ton to the download and add nothing to the gameplay for me.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I'll check out the free fly week in 5yrs might be more of a game by then and not a ridiculous budgeted tech demo.
    Phoenix_Hawk
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited May 2019
    3dom said:
    100Gb download?
    Where I live the ISP charges extra (on top of gouging prices) for using over 1TB per month. That puts this dl off my radar.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited May 2019
    Double post. Can’t delete.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

JoeBlober said:

Best pledge/spend I ever done on any triple-A...

Tripple A you say? Whats the third Alpha? :p
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    About 6-7 months back I figured what the hell I'll give it go and backed with the cheap package. Whomever thinks this is a video game is highly delusional. There is nothing more than a bunch of pieces slapped together and honestly nothing was cleanly done. Performance is crazy bad. I felt that SC made ARK and wildcard look like a AAA studio.
  • Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Right from the start of the Kickstarter years back, I had serious reservations about this, and after everything that has happened since then, it still looks highly suspect to me.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I find it difficult to argue against the merits of a free trial.

Free trials both puncture inflated hype and wash away detractors negativity.

Trials allow people to see for themselves all the good and all the bad; they showcase the good things and the shortfalls; the current bugs and the performance - on your own rig. And for those who follow the game - without being backers - it allows them to follow the progress, be it fast or slow. And in the case of a crowdfunded game allow you to decide whether to stay well away or to fund a work in progress.

Sadly many games don't offer the opportunity.

Scot
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    In my opinion, SC Influencers are the most misleading, dishonest I have ever seen. Even worse than SWTOR when that game was in development. All of whom were never heard from again after launch, btw.

Now that they got that $38/48M(?) for selling off shares of the company for marketing, the shilling going to be even worse.

6-8 more years of these daily update spam.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2019
    @NorseGod you make me lol, so you attack @SBFord for being an "influencer", yet the article is about the game allowing people to play it FOR FREE and make their own conclusions about it, as they did for multiple years now.

The problem here may be your inability to move past something that triggers you deeply, that SC is still kicking.
    NorseGod