Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've played so many theme parks.. I don't know how to Sandbox...

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
I downloaded both Albion Online and Legends of Aria (Two new.. but retro feeling sandbox MMO's) I am having fun, but honestly am frustrated because nobody is holding my hand so I literally have no idea what to do.. which is GREAT, but at the same time frustrating because I have no direction at all, and sometimes that's worse than being held every step of the way.

I have TOO many choices? 

I also started playing EQ Project 1999 and even though it's less of a sandbox, it's the same there.. I'm just running around aimlessly with no idea what the heck I'm doing. It's awesome, but I will not last long if I don't find some sort of "path for myself" even if there isn't one provided BY the game..

anyone else played so many themeparks, they forgot how to play in a sandbox or found it super overwhelming going back to that sort of play?

FFXIV (which I'm also playing) seems ez-mode in comparison.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Best advice i can give you is go play a real Sandbox in UO and not in either of those 2 shitboxes..

Do not be fooled by imitations ....if you want a UO experience there is one place to get it ... 

CryomatrixTiller
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Scorchien said:
    Best advice i can give you is go play a real Sandbox in UO and not in either of those 2 shitboxes..

Do not be fooled by imitations ....if you want a UO experience there is one place to get it ... 

I've played UO, It was my first MMO. I was just giving these a shot I haven't invested much into them at this point. 

Currently playing:

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    well then you will see qwikly enough how shallow and weak those two pretenders are ..
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Do not think themepark is to blame in this case as much as the games you are trying out.  Sandbox does not mean directionless.  Even EVE has a nice tutorial to get you started in some kind of direction.  Yes it drops you in the middle of things fairly quick but at least you get some idea of the different paths you can take. 

The sandbox games that are coming out now are more like boxes lacking sand.  To many folks have this idea that sandbox translates into dropping you off in game and welp there you are and that is not the case as you do not even know the tools available to you.  There has to be a starting point and some over arching lore to the game to make you interested to know and explore to try different things. 
    That's a good way to look at it.. as it stands, in Legends of Aria it's just some graphics and.. that's about it. I have no reason for being there. It isn't explained at all. I'm semi sad I paid 30 bucks to learn that.

Currently playing:

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2019
    Only sandbox MMORPG games that I know of are UO, SWG, EVE, Wurm and Second Life (kinda). Nothing since has really been "Sandbox"
    Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

"The developers have made so many theme parks.. They don't know how to build a Sandbox anymore.."

FTFY

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited May 2019
    Tiller said:
    Only sandbox MMORPG games that have I know of are UO, SWG, EVE, Wurm and Second Life (kinda). Nothing since has really been "Sandbox"
    Second Life can be fun as a market competition game.

The silliest thing I've done is replicating the a $50 toy and selling it for $5 (from scratch, so closer to taking inspiration from).   Got to harvest so much salt from that one.   Just to harvest it again a week later after they realized their version broke in an update, and I knew it was going to.    (This was over 10 years ago).

As long as you don't think of it as real money it can be great fun.   Though if you do start to see it as real money you'll end up drained for working for pennies.
    Cryomatrix

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2019
    Try hooking up with friends/guildies and go along with whatever they are doing. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Convenience and refinement often means you lose something.  I know like 4 phone numbers by heart now.  I used to know like 20 something. Split up at a mall with no phones and see how confused people get.  Make people read a map to travel over using GPS.  

When it comes to games the players adaptations to inconveniences are lost for better and/or worst.  Shouting 3 hours for a group is bad.  Soulless silent groups in game made group is bad.  Which one is worst depends on what you value.  
    Gdemami
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2019
    I'm playing Wurm Online right now. It's the same thing there. There's no main plot. There's nothing telling you where or what to do. You're not led anywhere. In fact, there's no real point to building on the landscape. Anybody can build. They can also build on the PvE servers and suffer no PvP threats, whilst just visiting the PvP server in brief episodes. Sure you can have the highest skills, maybe, if you played for 8 years, but how does that really change it? Even a low skill player cna make a deed. Sure, the high skill players can have artifacts and make things faster and better access to higher skill recipies but even low skill players who work together have a lot of access. So at the end of the day, it really boils down to MAKING a reason. (This is not to say these reasons have no merit or tangibility. They usually do.) Build something massive with the community? Be the biggest group of players on the PvP server, wreaking havoc on everybody else? Be the most creative builder? Embark on the biggest trading enterprise ever (just don't cheat like the one who got banned). Be a part of the next christmas event? Create a highway system? Be the biggest a**hole? Help the new players or visitors by fine tuning the low skill places for them? Be a master at metagaming or creating fan websites? Or just creat a humble deed somewhere, another home to relax and appreciate. Etc.

For me, first thing I do is go to PvP because PvE motivates me less--not enough challenge. Secondly, I have to play long enough to develop a irritation with someone or some group. And that usually means survival and building gameplay in the meantime. I love survival. I love danger. So if a game or MMO doesn't have that it's v ery hard for me to get into it. I also like building. It's more than just a sense of accomplishment. It's a form of bonding. So right now I'm in the process of developing the irritations whilst I'm surviving and building on the Chaos server. The irritations are very important.

I've never liked to be told what to do in games though ,so it's not like I have to work at it. However, I can distantly echo your mood because I somewhat felt it the other day when I realized the irritation towards someone or some group usually helps motivate me to play. I need to fear and dislike somneone or some gorup. Just building a random deed or house or farm in a random place somewhere, even if I have to fight hard PvE and survive, isn't enough to keep me interested alone. I need to leanr about the player culture. I have to watch for the biggest a**holes. I have to create grow enemies in my mind to fight against, to motivate me to play longterm.

In Everquest, I think one fo the big things that kept me playing was trying to keep up with my guild. I loved to check on them and see how they were doing. It felt like a family. Another thing kept me playing was to compete. I always wanted to be the Ranger with the most HP and AC and stats, generally. So I'd scour the dungeons and named for items and upgrades. I wanted to be useful in groups and know all the intricacies of my class. I've always enjoyed hte competitive aspects of PvP, not merely because of PvP, but because it enhances the challenge of PvE. On that note I've never enjoyed pure PvP. In fact, I hate PvP by itself. I'm kind of jack-of-all, master-of-none.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on