Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Than a Few Bungie Developers Have Left Recently - Should Destiny 2 Players Worry?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMore Than a Few Bungie Developers Have Left Recently - Should Destiny 2 Players Worry?

According to a new report over at GameRant, more than a few Destiny 2 developers have left Bungie lately, including Design Lead Joe Blackburn, Senior Writer Jill Scharr, and "sandbox designers" Josh Hamrick, Jon Weisnewski and Claude Jerome. While Blackburn said that his time with Bungie was "amazing", he was offered an opportunity in Santa Monica, CA that he could not pass up. Others who have left have expressed similar thoughts.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I’m very interested to see Bungie and Destiny’s future without Activision. People leaving the company as it continues its transition to independence does not make me worry that much.
    k61977Ungood
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited April 2019

I’m very interested to see Bungie and Destiny’s future without Activision. People leaving the company as it continues its transition to independence does not make me worry that much.

Yeah I am with you. I see this as more of a transition back to their own company type of thing. Most of those people were most likely being paid top salary and since they are leaving they can bring in newer people at lower salaries.
    Post edited by k61977 on
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2019
    [Deleted User]iamspamicusFolmenAlomarOctagon7711wingood
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Well, maybe they will make something new now :D
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Destiny 2 still exists :O
    Folmen
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Are arrangements in place for Bungee to continue to support Destiny 2?

Whilst developed by Bungee Destiny 2 is, after all, an Activision Blizzard game - one that AB paid Bungee to develop. So unless they continue to pay Bungee I assume that at some point in time there will be no Bungee devs working on the game.

Anyone read anything about what the arrangement is?
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    if people don't worry when the game launched I don't see why they would do now
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited April 2019
    I think leaving Activision balances the issue of exiting developers, but never good to see that many go.
  • arkoharkoh Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited April 2019
    Just hitting in the dark here but the devs that left might be Activision supporters and now they just jump ship before they get cut anyway
    Ungood
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    arkoh said:
    Just hitting in the dark here but the devs that left might be Activision supporters and now they just jump ship before they get cut anyway
    Activision has several game studios based in Santa Monica.  Likewise there's multiple other game studios based out of there.  Rather then something asinine like "We're going to quit before we're fired,"  it's more likely that any of those other studios pitched equivalent salary figures to those developers to bring them to their side.  
    Ungood
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    arkoh said:
    Doubt that.

However its entirely possible - likely even - that multiple positions will have been aligned to Activision Blizzard requirements which do not form part of Bungee's future development plans e.g. the development of micro-transactions. If this is the case then Bungee will be looking to redeploy or release these staff. I don;t know that this is so but I can say that this it is what happens when projects transition. Which is what is happening now as Bungee leave D2 behind and look towards D3.
  • rannon03rannon03 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Yes, all four of them...
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    rannon03 said:
    Yes, all four of them...
    There's five...
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Clickbait article is clickbait.  The headline is reminiscent of facebook "news organizations"